LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tremendous skating defensemen who also has a lot of skill of playmaking ability. He's undersized. It's hard to not compare his game to Quinn Hughes with the way he can cut with the puck while rushing it up ice, and avoid defenders, although that's only a stylistic comparison. He has a brother whose draft eligible this year, and two younger brothers, who all play hockey for the same team at varying age groups. I can't say how good any of his brothers are, but it's possible you could hear more about the Hutson's in upcoming years.

Lane Hutson at eliteprospects.com

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m a big fan of Hutson. I would say he’s a cross between two recent NTDP defensemen. He has the size/skating/skill of Dom Fensore and the sense/defending of Sean Behrens. The only thing you can really knock him for is his size. He’s about as good defensively as you can be at his size, and he evades bigger players well because of his skating/sense, but there are going to be some who cannot bring themselves to rank a 5’6/5’7 defenseman in the first round range. At that size, it’s easier to justify him being a high pick if he’s an elite point producer, like a Quinn Hughes, but I see Hutson as lacking that elite level PP1QB type of game. Tentatively a solid first round range player in my book.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It appears Hutson (all 5'7" 140 lbs of him) has made the U18 roster (Chesley, Leddy, Casey did not). I did not see that one coming.

Did not see coming either that someone like Stramel would make it and not Fleming (and many others, that i would of picked before him)
- i think he got to the team solely because of his physical attributes

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It appears Hutson (all 5'7" 140 lbs of him) has made the U18 roster (Chesley, Leddy, Casey did not). I did not see that one coming.

It's because he's an LHD up replacing the I injured Hughes. He's not even a top 2 U17 defenseman, although he's good.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

He was only competing with left-shots to replace Hughes, a left-shot, so his competition was none of those players. He played less games this season on the U-18's than Chesley, and probably would've played less than Casey if Casey wasn't the 6th string right-shot thats healthy.

It's too bad that he's on the roster at the expense of Hughes injury, but it'll be good to see him play in this tournament.

Reactions: Favin

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
- i think he got to the team solely because of his physical attributes

Stramel's probably only there as the 14th forward, and it's not clear he'll even get into a game, but he's absolutely not there solely due to physical attributes. He's a really talented player, and will be a first round pick in 2023, likely an early first round pick.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
I don't even think he's 5'7" tall... He is very talented but will a team ever take the chance on such a small defenseman?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't even think he's 5'7" tall... He is very talented but will a team ever take the chance on such a small defenseman?

He’s gonna be drafted. No doubt about that.

Fensore is listed at 5’7, and went late third round. Hutson is as good or better in every part of the game, so it’s hard to see how he’d be any later than a third round pick.

If he grows a few inches, there’s no reason he couldn’t be a early/mid first round pick. This doesn’t guarantee he’ll be as tall as them, but his father is 5’11 and his older brother is 5’10.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sam Girard anyone? This guy is excellent, easily the best player on an admittedly very bad US team. What really stands out to me is his crisp, tape-to-tape passing, his excellent vision, and cool head when carrying the puck under pressure.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Probably my most favourite player in this draft. He is simply unbelievably and absolutely a 1st round talent for me, everything you want for a prototypical modern day offensive puck-mover. Reminds me a lot Quinn Hughes in terms of overall intelligence, flawless mobility, and creativity for offence. Fantastic passer and should be getting more hyped regardless of what his frame says, a team with multiple picks should grab him in the top three rounds no questions asked.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Probably my most favourite player in this draft. He is simply unbelievably and absolutely a 1st round talent for me, everything you want for a prototypical modern day offensive puck-mover. Reminds me a lot Quinn Hughes in terms of overall intelligence, flawless mobility, and creativity for offence. Fantastic passer and should be getting more hyped regardless of what his frame says, a team with multiple picks should grab him in the top three rounds no questions asked.

I saw some of the Hughes comparison initially, but he's a much better defensive player. Hughes is not much of a defensive player. Hutson defends about as well as you could for a player his size. I don't think he's as dynamic offensively as Hughes, but he's a better all around player. He's also shorter than Hughes right now. Probably similar level prospect to Hughes when you balance it all out, although I think there are some differences in how they play.

Reactions: S E P H

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I just saw this kid today and I am VERY impressed. Wish he were going to Michigan.

The kid is a fantastic skater and decision maker. He was the the best D on the ice today (NTDP vs Sioux City). Loved watching him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think if Hutson was three inches taller he'd be a top 5 pick. He's so talented. Every part of the game he's really good at. But he has physical limitations.

He may Jared Spurgeon his way to being a 1D. I see some people that list him as a second rounder. I realize there's some risk with his game and thats why he's not going to be a top 5 pick, so you have to balance that, but I have a suspicion it's going to be a similar situation to what happened with Girard, if he went in the second round.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Catching up on some tape.. I agree with a lot of what has been said in here already. Surprised he's only on page one still. Fits the description of the 'new age' puckmover to a tee. Very good escapeability from the opposing forecheck and is able to advance the puck where it needs to be when it needs to be there. If he gets past 15, I think some team will have themselves a steal.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
How is this guy not getting more hype? 72 on McKenzie's list? I'll say it again - fits the description of the 'new age' puckmover to a tee. Given the current trends in the NHL, teams should be drooling to add a guy like Hutson.

Should be a first rounder and a steal if he's there past 30.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How is this guy not getting more hype? 72 on McKenzie's list? I'll say it again - fits the description of the 'new age' puckmover to a tee. Given the current trends in the NHL, teams should be drooling to add a guy like Hutson.

Should be a first rounder and a steal if he's there past 30.
It’s his size, and that some question his skating. Don’t really see the skating questions. I agree with you though. Don’t know how this guy is not a round one pick.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad