Prospect Info: LD Guillaume Brisebois (2015 3rd 66th overall)

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
If he becomes a respectable 7th defenceman that would feel like a win at this stage. He's had three years of pro experience, was solid but not excellent in the AHL this season. He's dependable and skates well enough but just doesn't drive play.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I feel like if he’s a regular it would say more about your blue line than him as a player. Guy seems like a career minor leaguer

Reactions: timw33

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I feel like if he’s a regular it would say more about your blue line than him as a player. Guy seems like a career minor leaguer

He looks like such to me. To make the NHL you ought to at least be a top 2 AHL defender and he is 3-4 in my book. Chatfield who is definitely a career AHLer plays the defensive zone better than Brisebois. The problem the Comets had last season was they didn't really have a standout #1 DEFENDER. Rafferty was all offense and weak defensively and they didn't have a solid enough defensive guy to pair him with to make a true top 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pip

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think he still has NHL potential, but he’s not there yet. He was showing some progress this season in Utica, which makes it too bad that it was cut short. But I think if he gets games next season, it will he as injury relief, and then it’d be a matter of seeing how he performed in that action.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think he still has NHL potential, but he’s not there yet. He was showing some progress this season in Utica, which makes it too bad that it was cut short. But I think if he gets games next season, it will he as injury relief, and then it’d be a matter of seeing how he performed in that action.
His 'NHL potential" is not much more than a NHL-AHL bubble guy, who can be an injury fill-in and not much else. As BG has pointed out, he wasn't even the best d-man in Utica last season.

And besides, he's quickly going get passed on the depth chart by guys like Rathbone, Woo or even Tryamkin, if he signs.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
He needs two levels of improvement to become a full-time spare defenceman on a roster in the NHL, a Fantenberg-level guy. About to turn 23 this July and having played three seasons in the AHL, most likely he only has one level of improvement remaining-- i.e., a quality AHLer, legitimate call-up option-- but it's still within the realm of reasonable possibility that he could take the second jump, too.

Brisebois, Sautner and Chatfield being called up in the past two seasons said more about the lack of defensive depth in the organization that it did about their worthiness. Benning needs to bring in a high-end AHL defenceman on a healthy two-way contract who is strong defensively.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He needs two levels of improvement to become a full-time spare defenceman on a roster in the NHL, a Fantenberg-level guy. About to turn 23 this July and having played three seasons in the AHL, most likely he only has one level of improvement remaining-- i.e., a quality AHLer, legitimate call-up option-- but it's still within the realm of reasonable possibility that he could take the second jump, too.

Brisebois, Sautner and Chatfield being called up in the past two seasons said more about the lack of defensive depth in the organization that it did about their worthiness. Benning needs to bring in a high-end AHL defenceman on a healthy two-way contract who is strong defensively.
Basically the only reason any of those guys got recalled was to sit in the press-box and practice because the Canucks were down a d-man. It was their reward for being loyal foot-soldiers in Utica, giving them a brief opportunity of earning an NHL paycheck.

If it had been based on 'merit', or if the Canucks had sunk deep into lottery-land, they'd have recalled Rafferty for sure. But they didn't want him warming a seat in the press-box instead of playing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's become a very solid defensive defender at the AHL level, and is rangy and skates pretty well, but his problem is his hands and outlet passing. He just can't handle the puck well and is Gudbranson-esque at missing a guy with an outlet pass by 6 feet and having it go for an icing.

And at age 23, I can't see it improving enough to make him anything much more than the cup-of-coffee 8th defender type he is now.

Reactions: iceburg

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Still perplexed at how frequently management has pumped his tires and mentioned his name anytime they talk about the exciting future of the team. They know we all can watch and follow these players right?

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Still perplexed at how frequently management has pumped his tires and mentioned his name anytime they talk about the exciting future of the team. They know we all can watch and follow these players right?

You have noticed how amazing these guys are at evaluating the play of NHL defenders, right? :sarcasm:

Reactions: timw33

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
his nhl window is closing, not closed. he probably needs a break at this stage of having chemistry with a d partner to take a developmental step beyond depth/bubble dman, but then again it's easy to bet against anyone in his shoes without even scouting him. the odds are long. some will make it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess the only silver lining is that it usually takes d-men longer to find their games in pro hockey....and some eventually figure out by the time they hit 25 or so.

But based on what I've been reading from Utica posters who watch these guys night after night, I'm not holding my breath. At this point in his career, you'd be looking for him to be having a much greater impact at the AHL-level.

Besides, as a left-side defender wouldn't Brisebois have to climb over Juolevi to crack the Canucks lineup? As top-five draft pick, Juloevi will get a lot more rope to make the Canucks lineup.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Can anyone shed light on Brisebois' team leading +/- stat? Is this a Marek Malik situation?

Reactions: lindgren

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Can anyone shed light on Brisebois' team leading +/- stat? Is this a Marek Malik situation?

He did alright as a second-pair AHL defenceman this season, and being paired with Rafferty helped his +/- as Rafferty drove a substantial amount of offensive production.

Comets' problem was that they were in trouble against other teams' first lines; they lacked any true shutdown defenders. Sautner was handed the biggest share of that load and it showed in his +/-.

Reactions: F A N

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I did not expect that I'd ever see him in an NHL game again.

He actually did his job defensively and didn't screw up, but his skill level simply is not NHL-calibre.

Reactions: kanucks25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad