LD Dillon Heatherington (2013, 50th, CBJ)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I might have to break my "no defensive defensemen in the first round" rule for this guy. Doesn't have much offense, but boy does he remind me of Marc-Edouard Vlasic. So calm, cerebral, great stick, always in position, good skater. I'd probably spend a late first on Heatherington.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Another thing about Heatherington is his energy. Watch this kid come out of the tunnel for warmup or the start of a period and he is already going 110. I would say that his game is even better suited for smaller ice for those that were only able to see him at U18's. Able to cut down angles and attack defensively even better. I have him as a 30-40 for the draft.

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
Dillon Heatherington

So I was just autoed Dillon in a fantasy league entry draft and im wondering if anyone could shed some light on his potential. What round / Pick is he projected to be selected at this years entry draft? is he a player that could jump in right away? if not do you think he will take 1 2 or 3 years or maybe you may think he will be a bust? What categories will he help my team in scoring?

Thanks!

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
From what I have been reading up about him, he projects to go in the mid to late 2nd round. He's a defensive dman, who doesn't project to put up points at the next level. Will probably be a 2nd/3rd pairing defensive dman.

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
From what I have been reading up about him, he projects to go in the mid to late 2nd round. He's a defensive dman, who doesn't project to put up points at the next level. Will probably be a 2nd/3rd pairing defensive dman.

Awesome! Thank you so much for the help! Good thing my league is one that counts blocked shots and Hits!

Thanks Again!

hogtownhabsfan*

I really like Heatherington. I think he'll be just as good as Morin, and will probably go a full round later than Morin does...

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
He's a big, smart, defensive d-man that can skate and make good outlet passes.

Definitely won't blow you away on the ice or the scoresheet, but the type of guy that will make the underrated safe defensive plays that don't harm the team.

hogtownhabsfan*

I haven't seen a lot of all the D prospects, but of the top 15 D prospects or so, Heatherington to me appears to be the meanest SOB of the lot. And that's a good thing, especially at his size.

hogtownhabsfan*

Ah so he can throw?

He's gotta fill out still, but he's tough and has really long arms and I've seen him have a couple of good tilts and appears to have good balance. I think when it's all said and done he'll be able to fight as a heavyweight.

But a good part of his mean is finishing his checks with a little English on them ala Pronger.

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
He's gotta fill out still, but he's tough and has really long arms and I've seen him have a couple of good tilts and appears to have good balance. I think when it's all said and done he'll be able to fight as a heavyweight.

But a good part of his mean is finishing his checks with a little English on them ala Pronger.

Pretty Neat! I'm getting pumped!

hogtownhabsfan*

To be clear, I'm not saying he'll fight alot, or win alot, as a heavyweight, just that he could fight against them. Still needs to fill out though. But yea, I can see him becoming an all around mean SOB dman.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Seems like he'll be a solid defensive defenseman for a long time in the NHL. I think he goes towards the end of Round 2.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Had another opportunity to talk to Heatherington a week or so ago. Great kid. Always leaves an impression. Here's the result:

“I try not to read too much,†Heatherington said. “I like taking it day-by-day because that’s the easiest for me. It keeps me focused on the task at hand. It is pretty easy, with the rankings, to get ahead of yourself.â€

Still, Heatherington — 36th in Future Considerations’ final ranking for the 2013 draft — is less concerned with the number tagged to his name and more focused on what will happen shortly thereafter.

“To me, it doesn’t really matter,†he said. “As soon as you hit Day 1 at training camp, everyone is back to an even plane."

http://futureconsiderations.ca/level-headed-heatherington-awaits-draft-day/

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Seems to be highly underrated in the boards.

Not by all. Has been a personal favorite of mine for a long time.

Very happy for him as he signed his ELC today. Watched him live tonight, too. Decent game. Typical from him. Nothing flashy, just safe and smart.

Has the makings of a solid shutdown, middle-pairing guy at the next level.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Not by all. Has been a personal favorite of mine for a long time.

Very happy for him as he signed his ELC today. Watched him live tonight, too. Decent game. Typical from him. Nothing flashy, just safe and smart.

Has the makings of a solid shutdown, middle-pairing guy at the next level.
exactly what we need now but who knows if that'll be the case when he makes the big league

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Is there a concern that his lack of production at the CHL level indicates a lack of offensive hockey sense, puck skills and ability to exit the zone at the NHL level?

Exiting the zone is one of his best qualities. He doesnt have the greatest shot and just never looks to use it. Also doesn't help he's on a low scoring team and one that gives up a lot of chances so he's always gotta focus on D first. Last year paired with Ho9nka on a better team he was a .5 ppg pace while still being the defense first type of guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad