LD Dillon Heatherington (2013, 50th, CBJ)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Did a search and didn't see a thread dedicated to this kid and there needs to be. He's on the rise and has been that way since I first saw him last season.

He's got good size at 6'2 and 185 pounds. He skates well, with a big powerful stride and the mobility to stop and backpedal on a dime. He's got good reach, an active stick and has the smarts to always be on the correct side of the puck. His physical play has also shown solid growth this season, engaging the body more and learning to use his size and weight in the corners and in battles for loose pucks. He competes hard and rarely gets exposed by a forecheck. Very smart with the puck and if he doesn't have a passing lane in his own zone, he'll simply chip the puck out and avoid any risks. He's been paired mostly with Devils prospect Reece Scarlett this season, playing top-pairing minutes against other teams top lines.

It's been a steady climb up my rankings for Heatherington and I think that will only continue. Coming into this season I had him as an honourable mention in my rankings, sitting in the 13-15 range among WHL players for the 2013 NHL Draft. Looking back at that list now, I wouldn't hesitate to call him a top 12 WHL player in that ranking and a guy I expect to be picked inside the top 90 at the NHL draft next June.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2012/10/dillon-heatherington-on-rise.html

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
Thanks for this! I'm heading back home to Swift Current next weekend so I'll get to watch him play Seattle and Edmonton (definitely excited to see the powerhouse Oil Kings). I'll be sure to report back.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Big fan of him. His development since rookie year is amazing and I think that will continue to grow to the pro game.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Well, this is odd. I checked out his physical stats yesterday and the dub website had him listed at 6'2. Checked today, he's now listed at 6'4.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
They also updated his weight so I doubt it's a glitch. Those couple inches should give him a nice draft bump.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Updates from Renegade on this kid seeing as they're in the same div? Really intrigued to use a 2nd on this kid.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
I meant reports on his play from game viewings.

Loved his game when the Broncos were in Calgary on Saturday.

First piece of his game that stood out was his size-skating combination. Fluid and powerful in close quarters. Very strong and aggressive defensively. Was able to move opponents out of trouble areas fairly easily.

He had two assists in the game but I don't think his offensive upside is huge. Dependable breakout starter with crisp outlets. Fast release on his slapshot.

Absolutely fell in love with his game. Definitely wouldn't let him slip past the second round.

Ability to think the level at an elite level and limited offensive upsides are my concerns. He still does both of those decently though.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Loved his game when the Broncos were in Calgary on Saturday.

First piece of his game that stood out was his size-skating combination. Fluid and powerful in close quarters. Very strong and aggressive defensively. Was able to move opponents out of trouble areas fairly easily.

He had two assists in the game but I don't think his offensive upside is huge. Dependable breakout starter with crisp outlets. Fast release on his slapshot.

Absolutely fell in love with his game. Definitely wouldn't let him slip past the second round.

Ability to think the level at an elite level and limited offensive upsides are my concerns. He still does both of those decently though.

Has he upped his physical play? Last time I saw him, he was quick, agile, and played quite good positionally, but despite having good size-skating skating combo as you mentioned, he didn't assert him physicality. He kept players in check but wasn't one to clear the net; relied more on a quick stick and mobility to make his defensive plays.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
There was a touch of physicality in his game. Its not something that sticks out. By no means a bruiser but he definitely has the strength to play pro regardless of how phsyical he is.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I live in Swift and see a lot of him. He skates well for his size, is very sound defensively and has size. The downside is he doesn't always use his size and has very little offensive upside. I think he could be a more mobile version of Sarich, but somewhat less physical.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Really hope the Avs take a long look at him early in the 2nd round. Very underrated player, still.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Watched him last night against the Hitmen in game 3 of their playoff series. Got better as the game went on. Made some great decisions with the puck but had some defensive miscues, including going down early to block shots/passes.

Also heard that the Avs head amateur scout Rick Pracey was in the building. Still hope the Avs end up with this kid in the 2nd round.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Watched him last night against the Hitmen in game 3 of their playoff series. Got better as the game went on. Made some great decisions with the puck but had some defensive miscues, including going down early to block shots/passes.

Also heard that the Avs head amateur scout Rick Pracey was in the building. Still hope the Avs end up with this kid in the 2nd round.

He credits Scarlett a lot for giving him confidence. Is he riding his coattails?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Bump.

By all accounts was one of the standouts at the Under 18's for Team Canada. Think he probably goes inside the top 40, even though I rank him as a top 20 in the form of a Marc Staal type of player.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Bump.

By all accounts was one of the standouts at the Under 18's for Team Canada. Think he probably goes inside the top 40, even though I rank him as a top 20 in the form of a Marc Staal type of player.

Funny you should mention that. I knew very little about him prior to that tournament, but after watching a single period, I started wondering who this #2 kid was. He is always in position, he guards so well against the cycle, he contains like a pro and he transitions extremely well.

He just has NHL player written all over him.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Funny you should mention that. I knew very little about him prior to that tournament, but after watching a single period, I started wondering who this #2 kid was. He is always in position, he guards so well against the cycle, he contains like a pro and he transitions extremely well.

He just has NHL player written all over him.

i have the same opinion. He played a lot of minutes on what can described as the best 6 man defence Canada ever sent to a youth tournament. He reminds of the Wotherspoon type of player, not flashy but very effective.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The one flaw I notice in his game is that he always drops to a knee trying to block passes around the sides of his own net. It's a good strategy sometimes, but he does it so often that it could eventually be used against him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad