LD Artyom Duda - Toronto Metro Univ., USports (2022, 36th, ARI)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I hope he gets cleared if only to help turn that Maine program around. They were such a dominant program from the late 80s to mid 2000s and it would be great to see them as a powerhouse again.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It would be great to get him over here. Wouldn't the NCAA have to basically declare the KHL is not a pro sports league, though? I don't know how he could be eligible.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It would be great to get him over here. Wouldn't the NCAA have to basically declare the KHL is not a pro sports league, though? I don't know how he could be eligible.

They won't do that. But they would have to grant him an exception. I'm not sure what details they're working out but the last 2 CHL guys to be granted exceptions were done in error by the NCAA and they just decided to not rectify their mistakes. How you make that error is beyond me, let alone doing it twice in 5 years. I think they're more lenient with European leagues, largely because they don't want to encourage kids to go to the CHL knowing they could just come back to college later, and it's the kids going to Euro leagues aren't top NCAA targets anyway.

Last edited:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
They won't do that. But they would have to grant him an exception. I'm not sure what details they're working out but the last 2 guys to be granted exceptions were done in error by the NCAA and they just decided to not rectify their mistakes. How you make that error is beyond me, let alone doing it twice in 5 years.
That sums up the NCAA pretty nicely, actually.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

This likely isn't true, since his contract is a KHL contract with options to be assigned to the MHL and VHL. Still the NCAA have their own definition of the pro contracts and I guess the KHL ones are not included in that, as guys like Iskhakov, Sardaryan and Borodayenko all were playing there after terminating a KHL contract.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Have had some loose conversations with people associated with the UMaine program, here's the brief summary:
- The HC (Ben Barr) has been in contact with Duda since back in January trying to convinced him to come to Maine.
- Duda himself has been on campus since the end of May now taking some English intensive courses to try and prepare for the upcoming season.
- Nothing official from the NCAA regarding his eligibility yet but they didn't think he would've been announced if they weren't confident in him being eligible.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Have had some loose conversations with people associated with the UMaine program, here's the brief summary:
- The HC (Ben Barr) has been in contact with Duda since back in January trying to convinced him to come to Maine.
- Duda himself has been on campus since the end of May now taking some English intensive courses to try and prepare for the upcoming season.
- Nothing official from the NCAA regarding his eligibility yet but they didn't think he would've been announced if they weren't confident in him being eligible.
I'm interested on the connection of how this even became a possibility. Just seems so out of left field.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I'm interested on the connection of how this even became a possibility. Just seems so out of left field.
It depends on what do you mean by "this" here. If you mean a player coming to the NCAA after the KHL contract, then previously there were already cases of Ruslan Iskhakov and other Russian guys (Borodayenko, Sardarian etc.), as well as some guys from the SHL if I understood correctly. If you mean coming to the NCAA while having an active KHL contract then I think only IIHF-related leagues and the NHL care about that, not NCAA.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It depends on what do you mean by "this" here. If you mean a player coming to the NCAA after the KHL contract, then previously there were already cases of Ruslan Iskhakov and other Russian guys (Borodayenko, Sardarian etc.), as well as some guys from the SHL if I understood correctly. If you mean coming to the NCAA while having an active KHL contract then I think only IIHF-related leagues and the NHL care about that, not NCAA.
I am meaning Duda specifically and to Maine. I don't remember hearing any rumblings about Duda having any interest in anything other than staying in Russia until eventually coming over to try to make the NHL. Do college coaches just routinely call Russian players to try to coax them over or what?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I am meaning Duda specifically and to Maine. I don't remember hearing any rumblings about Duda having any interest in anything other than staying in Russia until eventually coming over to try to make the NHL. Do college coaches just routinely call Russian players to try to coax them over or what?
Probably there was some non-public interest from Duda expressed to his agent and maybe also to the Coyotes management and if so there wouldn't be any issues with providing his number to that coach.

Reactions: SomeDude

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Probably there was some non-public interest from Duda expressed to his agent and maybe also to the Coyotes management and if so there wouldn't be any issues with providing his number to that coach.
Maybe he just wants to get acclimated to playing in a college rink before playing for the Yotes. ;)

canary

Jan 20, 2011
Toronto
Is Artyom not playing this season? Injured? Something to do with his commitment to Maine?

EDIT: Nevermind, can see he's been training at UMaine trying to finalize his transfer.

Reactions: Hogan20

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Coyotes have been at his side throughout this saga. Good on them for trying to help him get what he wants. But shame on them for letting him waste so much development time.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad