Lawsuit against Hockey Canada, CHL over alleged 2018 sexual attack. Add 2003 WJC allegations to investigation

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Bettman statement at All Star presser.

Lots of follow up questions. No plans to (or not) release NHL investigation redults; will reconsider after London ON proceedings conclude. All players involved and pending NHL free agents; on leave from team. No league suspension planned at this time.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
'New evidence' emerged from 2018 sex assault case involving Canada hockey players, prompting arrests, charges, police say

To quote:

"New evidence about an alleged 2018 sexual assault prompted authorities to reopen an investigation involving one former and four current NHL players, Ontario police said Monday. The athletes were arrested and charged last week.

Officials have not disclosed additional details about the new evidence.

The Philadelphia Flyers’ Carter Hart, the New Jersey Devils’ Cal Foote and Michael McLeod and the Calgary Flames’ Dillon Dubé, all 25, and ex-NHL player Alex Formenton, 24, made their first court appearances over video call Monday morning, according to the Ontario court docket.

Hart, Foote, Dubé and Formenton each face one count of sexual assault. McLeod faces two counts, sexual assault and being “a party to the offense,” which refers to aiding or abetting others in carrying out an unlawful action.

All five have denied the allegations through their lawyers."

Source: www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/new-evidence-emerged-from-2018-sex-assault-case-involving-canada-hockey-players-prompting-arrests-charges-police-say/ar-BB1hPaBn

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Weird wording by Westhead.

For sexual assault, it's not a "request" for a jury trial - it's a right.
Yeah, but he's trying to use common language, I think. I suspect if he starts talking about "election" a lot of readers would think he's talking about something else.

Having said that "opting" would have been a better word to use than"requesting".

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I wonder if they'll try to schedule a trial quickly and gets this over with. Players careers are on the line here so I don't know if they'll treat it like any other case and let it sit for over a year.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Opposed to other people going through the legal system, how is that any different?

Their trial is of public interest / widely known.

Your coworker could be going thru the same thing and you wouldn't have any idea. Sure, they'd be missing time due to court proceedings but that could be anything.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I wonder if they'll try to schedule a trial quickly and gets this over with. Players careers are on the line here so I don't know if they'll treat it like any other case and let it sit for over a year.

So the matters that will typically get priority in the criminal justice system are ones where the Accuseds are bail denied - that is they're sitting in jail waiting for their trial. That isn't the case here.

I would very much doubt the courts want to be seen as giving special consideration to millionaire athletes (even though several of the players are probably not millionaires).

As well - it can sometimes be seen as a benefit to the defence to drag things out. The allegations themselves are already 7 years old. The Crown's case never gets stronger with the passage of time. As well if things wind up taking too long the entire case can be thrown out for delay. (see R v Jordan 2016 SCC 27). Jordan suggests a 30 month time limit for cases in Superior Court (which if they're electing judge and jury is where it's going).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Trial date may be set on April 9, but due to backlog may not start until 2025.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

The entire 2018 WJC team players are suspended by Hockey Canada from international play until this whole thing is resolved, even if not facing criminal charges. (As NHL is running 4 Nations Faceoff, they can be considered for that team.)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

The entire 2018 WJC team players are suspended by Hockey Canada from international play until this whole thing is resolved, even if not facing criminal charges. (As NHL is running 4 Nations Faceoff, they can be considered for that team.)

Yes the e been suspend for a couple of months.
However it’s not until everything is resolved, it’s pending the completion of an appeal of the findings of Hockey Canada's sexual assault investigation, the organization said Monday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad