Lawsuit against Hockey Canada, CHL over alleged 2018 sexual attack. Add 2003 WJC allegations to investigation

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Settlement out of court. 2017-18 World Junior team accused of assault.

We'll see what actions, if any, impact players currently in the NHL.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
She also alleged the John Doe defendants pressured her to not report the players to police and to not cooperate with a criminal investigation after it was initiated.

There should really be a criminal investigation. Hope she still has an option to reconsider now the matter is public.

Reactions: roccerfeller

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Hockey Canada officials about to be called in front of the Federal Government

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
My most sincere wish is that the various investigations and inquiries into this entire situation completely clear all the players of the alleged sexual assaults.

But if wishes were rainbows, right? Not pre-judging, but history does not suggest that a promising outcome is in the offing.

About a decade or so ago, I listened to former Hockey Canada boss, Bob Nicholson, speak about how there was “compelling academic research” indicating that hockey players were more civic minded, law-abiding and overall solid members of society than non-hockey players. Several people in the room, including me, pressed him to direct us to any of this “compelling academic research” so we might read it. Nic said something along the lines of “oh, it’s out there, trust me,” and that was that. I’m still looking for it.

I’m not aware of any governing body for amateur sport in Canada that does not claim to produce people of high character, individuals who received “life lessons” through the sport that benefited society. Hockey Canada and its forerunner, the CAHA, always championed this philosophy and sometimes I get the sense that even today they value it above all else and will do nearly anything to preserve it as a core piece of their heritage brand. Frankly, I’ve always believed in “sport for sport’s sake” and that most games unmask true personal character rather than develop it, and I’m fine with that. Sport needn’t be magic to be important.

Anyway, exactly how Hockey Canada responds to the federal government in this case is something I’ll be watching closely, mostly because I am interested to see if the organization displays the high character they claim the sport develops or if they choose another route. Given that they hired the Toronto law firm Henein Hutchison LLP — which defended David Frost and then a string of very bad people — I’m not hopeful.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Hockey Canada officials about to be called in front of the Federal Government

The allegations involve 8 CHL players, *some of whom* were on the 2018 Canadian WJC team, not 8 members of that team. The Canadian MP repeats the latter myth, making him as clueless as the NHL's statement on the matter.

One would think that allegations as heinous as these would require absolute accuracy in statements made by public officials.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Recapping today's hearing. Includes chronology of events, investigation. No mandate for players to cooperate with independent investigators.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Why are admins closing threads on this topic in the NHL forum claiming it's "not related"? Are we pretending there are no current and former NHLers involved?

NHL has launched its own investigation. Perhaps start a thread around that? No one is pretending anything but given sensitivity of the topic any speculation will likely not be tolerated.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Why are admins closing threads on this topic in the NHL forum claiming it's "not related"? Are we pretending there are no current and former NHLers involved?

Yeah I was wondering that too. I don't see how it a) doesn't involve the NHL and b) isnt discussion/newsworthy

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I watched the whole thing yesterday. A pretty poor performance by Hockey Canada who seemed grossly unprepared to answer basic questions. The "I didn't think we'd be talking about that" was bad as was the inability to say how many players actually participated in the third party investigation - which seemed to have wound up being half-finished and reached no conclusions and no one at HC seemed all that bothered by it.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Last half or so of podcast discusses hearing, fall out. One key point:

Why did Hockey Canada settle without finishing their investigation? Friedman's lawyer contacts believe that due to underage drinking and the fact that it was a Hockey Canada event, they were liable (and mainly why insurance didn't pay out).

Why didn't they compel players to participate in investigation? (Perhaps the NHL will be able to compel participation?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad