Player Discussion Lawrence Pilut

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Clague beat him out. He's not worthy right now of a claim. Maybe in March, but right now, he's got a road ahead of him to prove he can play in the league.

They guy makes only $750 K and literally every team in the league said he's not as good as our top 8. Likely top 9 because everybody usually has one guy out. You could easily claim him with zero cap risk. No one did. The love for this guy is amazing. I'm sure he's a good kid but his career is going nowhere and he's almost out of NHL chances. Not to mention. KHL chances!

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
They guy makes only $750 K and literally every team in the league said he's not as good as our top 8. Likely top 9 because everybody usually has one guy out. You could easily claim him with zero cap risk. No one did. The love for this guy is amazing. I'm sure he's a good kid but his career is going nowhere and he's almost out of NHL chances. Not to mention. KHL chances!
Fitz and Clague likely would have made it as well. Possibly even Bryson. Should tell you something. I keep seeing posts of people saying that everyone's depth is as bad as ours. I call BS. We have 5 NHL defensman on our roster. Our depth 6-8 need to be NHL players. Ours are all AHL players. we need to upgrade ALL of Pilut, Clague, Fitz. and Bryson. There really is zero reason to wait. At least go get yourself a genuine 6the NHL defensman.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Lots of teams also have no open contract spots, even if they wanted to claim him. So it’s not as black and white as “he sucks”.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Fitz and Clague likely would have made it as well. Possibly even Bryson. Should tell you something. I keep seeing posts of people saying that everyone's depth is as bad as ours. I call BS. We have 5 NHL defensman on our roster. Our depth 6-8 need to be NHL players. Ours are all AHL players. we need to upgrade ALL of Pilut, Clague, Fitz. and Bryson. There really is zero reason to wait. At least go get yourself a genuine 6the NHL defensman.
Sabres can get it done with the guys they have, but if there is any injury to the top 3 guys, it's a precipitous drop in the overall core. Their depth positions are a concern in general.

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
Sabres can get it done with the guys they have, but if there is any injury to the top 3 guys, it's a precipitous drop in the overall core. Their depth positions are a concern in general.
You would think an organization that's missed the playoffs for 11 straight years would have more depth in their system.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
You would think an organization that's missed the playoffs for 11 straight years would have more depth in their system.
Did you see their depth before free agency?
Oskari was the 7th D. :laugh:

I thought they did a decent job adding. I would have liked a Pysyk-type defensemen in place of Fitzgerald as 7th. Maybe Stecher.

Wish we could have gotten Rutta instead of Booshkin. Even Colin Miller would have been better. But it was time for him to move on.

Was hoping Bryson to take a step forward and become more consistent. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: old kummelweck

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It's not perfect, that's for sure. But they've stuck to their plan and actually have made adjustments on the farm with depth. They brought in Boosh, who isn't quite where you want him to be, and Clague was a pretty big addition if he can keep his game where it is and slot hazard duty next to Power. When Joker comes back, he'll knock Bryson/FItzgerald back to the press box. Not looking terrible.

I honestly think the biggest challenge for this core is the dependency on Samuelsson. He is the guy that makes it all work. Maybe this is a apperitiion until Power grows into his skates. I also think Joker is a nice 5/6 guy, and getting another vet into that top 4 mix would really, really, really square the group up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If he's in the lineup again, they need what he gave them the last two games before being sent back. But there was so much time to get to that level, I have lost faith in Pilut's game as a 7 or 8 option.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Considering when given that option, the team didn't do that, I don't see them being interested in it for next year. If Larry is back, he's the 8 at best.
I think he's already signed with a NLA team, turned doen HV71 awhile back.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Good luck to him. I had hoped he would make it but he was always a tweener.

I think he'll carve out a nice career in the SHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bendium

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I suspect that he knew this would be his last year in North America and his agent may have been in talks with Lausanne or some other teams. So he really could have mailed it in, but instead continued his strong play throughout the playoffs and spoke so highly of his experience in Rochester at the end of the year. True pro - kudos to him for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad