Player Discussion Lawrence Pilut

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
I’ve read that he would have to buy his way out of his KHL contract. Would it be possible (not saying they would do this...) for the Sabres to buy it out? (Salary cap ramifications?)

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Couldn't find a Player or Prospect thread for him, so I'll start one.

Maybe he'll return with the Hall news? There's a nice 3LD hole he'd fill nicely.

Part of the reason he went to the KHL was that he felt he wasn't getting enough ice time here. Even if you put Pilut ahead of Davidson and Irwin, he's still the 7th defensemen. He's not going to come back and sit in the press box again just because Hall is here.

He wanted to leave, move on without him.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Part of the reason he went to the KHL was that he felt he wasn't getting enough ice time here. Even if you put Pilut ahead of Davidson and Irwin, he's still the 7th defensemen. He's not going to come back and sit in the press box again just because Hall is here.

I thought it was because he wanted a one way for like 100k more and pegula didn’t want to give him a 1 way

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
I don't dislike Pilut but saw him as a Jason Woolley type: a decent 3rd pairing guy who can QB a power-play. It seemed to me there was no place for him as Dahlin is always going to play 2/3 of every power-play and Pilut isn't good enough in other areas (ie: penalty killing) to warrant having him as the 6th D.

If our #1 left D was a Jakob Chychrun type then having a Pilut type player on your bottom pairing makes sense. I don't think it makes as much sense when you have a player like Dahlin as your #1.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

There's plenty of room on the left side. He'd be 5-6 right now, and encourage a long-awaited Montour/Risto trade. Saves money, gets a better player, it's a win-win.

There's also opportunity to surge right past McCabe into the top 4. He just needs that chance. I'll pass on 'moving on' from a valuable asset just because the previous management was demonstrably idiotic.

Reactions: brian_griffin

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
There's plenty of room on the left side. He'd be 5-6 right now, and encourage a long-awaited Montour/Risto trade. Saves money, gets a better player, it's a win-win.

There's also opportunity to surge right past McCabe into the top 4. He just needs that chance. I'll pass on 'moving on' from a valuable asset just because the previous management was demonstrably idiotic.

1. Risto is unlikely to be traded ; Krueger is repeatedly on record saying he likes him a lot.
2. They just re-signed Montour , he also is not getting traded.
3. McCabe isn't even in the top 4 NOW.
Current rostered defensemen that would play over Pilut, in no particular order:
Risto
Miller
Montour
Dahlin
Jokiharju
McCabe

Pilut only plays if there is an injury or maintenance day. Otherwise he's in the press box. Which was his reason for leaving, he wanted to play, not watch.

4. The Sabres qualified Pilut, and thus continue to hold his NHL rights should he decide to leave the KHL. They have lost nothing. Their mistake was understanding that the kid wanted to see the ice, there was no room for him, and they should have traded him somewhere that he would play. Make the player happen, get a return for the asset.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I thought it was because he wanted a one way for like 100k more and pegula didn’t want to give him a 1 way

The statement from Traktor said :

"He had an offer to stay in the NHL, but we managed to convince him that in Tractor and in the KHL he would be able to get a slightly different role and more playing time".

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
1. Risto is unlikely to be traded ; Krueger is repeatedly on record saying he likes him a lot.
2. They just re-signed Montour , he also is not getting traded.
3. McCabe isn't even in the top 4 NOW.
Current rostered defensemen that would play over Pilut, in no particular order:
Risto
Miller
Montour
Dahlin
Jokiharju
McCabe

Pilut only plays if there is an injury or maintenance day. Otherwise he's in the press box. Which was his reason for leaving, he wanted to play, not watch.

4. The Sabres qualified Pilut, and thus continue to hold his NHL rights should he decide to leave the KHL. They have lost nothing. Their mistake was understanding that the kid wanted to see the ice, there was no room for him, and they should have traded him somewhere that he would play. Make the player happen, get a return for the asset.

1. Agreed

2. Completely disagree. That's a trade-able asset.

3. I'd rather un-sign Taylor Hall right now, then watch another minute of Montour-Ristolainen.

4. Exactly; a smart GM can bring him back.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
1. Agreed

2. Completely disagree. That's a trade-able asset.

3. I'd rather un-sign Taylor Hall right now, then watch another minute of Montour-Ristolainen.

4. Exactly; a smart GM can bring him back.

Sure, I don't disagree. But that's not happening until the deadline if it happens at all. My point is they're starting the season with that list of players, leaving no room for Pilut anyways.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
That’s what I heard too. He just wanted a one way contract

The 1 way contract demand is just leverage to try and force staying in the NHL.

As it stood, he was a waiver exempt player, which means Pilut would have been in Rochester most night. He wouldn't have been happy down there even on the 1 way deal, and the team wouldn't have been happy paying him more than Dahlin or Jokiharju to be in the minors.

Since GMJB pooched this and didn't trade him, this is the next best outcome.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

As it stood, he was a waiver exempt player, which means Pilut would have been in Rochester most night. He wouldn't have been happy down there even on the 1 way deal, and the team wouldn't have been happy paying him more than Dahlin or Jokiharju to be in the minors.

The best outcome would be having Pilut in the NHL lineup...

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

How is him being overseas a better outcome than him being here as an NHL option?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

I think getting a 1-way contract is more about the several hundred thousand to a million dollar difference in essentially guaranteed money.

Reactions: Buffaloed

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
How is him being overseas a better outcome than him being here as an NHL option?

The player is in a situation that makes him happy, and the organization isn't stuck dealing with an unhappy player in Rochester.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I think getting a 1-way contract is more about the several hundred thousand to a million dollar difference in essentially guaranteed money.

I'm not saying that's a non factor. But Pilut repeatedly said that he felt he deserved NHL minutes and was annoyed he wasn't getting them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad