Lawrence Pilut vs Timothy Liljegren

Lawrence Pilut vs Timothy Liljegren

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Interestingly enough both half american swedish defensemen from the southern part of Sweden.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Nobody outside of Sweden or Buffalo knows who Pilut is yet. They should by the end of the year, though.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Never heard of Pilut but wow great start for him. Just wondering, why hasn't he been called up to the sabres if he's looked so good?

TBH I can't figure out why they even sent him down. His preseason play was easily good enough to earn a spot starting in our top 4. He should be the first call-up once injuries start piling up.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Pilut is leading the AHL in points per game (13 points in 7 games)...pretty impressive for a rookie defenseman even if he is 22.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
A more apt poll would be;

Lawrence Pilut 7-2-11-13

Or

T.J Brennan 7-3-8-11

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Besides the fact that Pilut is 22 and Brennan is 29 you are completely right

Pilut is 3 1/2 years older than Liljegren.

A better comparison is between Pilut and Calle Rosen. Similar age. Pilut has been better for sure, but not drastically.

Also, many Sabres fans always used team scoring (or lack thereof) to prop up guys on their team who weren't putting up points because they were on bad offensive teams. Does that now discount Pilut since his assists are coming on the 2nd best scoring team in the league? Or are those kinds of considerations only given when it helps one's argument?

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Lilly is only 19. So I figured age differences didnt matter.

I am not saying this is a good comparison. The thing is though, Pilut is much older but also much better than Liljegren at this point. Which is why it is debatable. Dumb examples like Pilut vs. Brennan are not.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I am not saying this is a good comparison. The thing is though, Pilut is much older but also much better than Liljegren at this point. Which is why it is debatable. Dumb examples like Pilut vs. Brennan are not.
When Pilut was Liljegren's age he put up 11 pts in 48 games in SHL. Liljegren put up 17 in 44 games in the AHL at a younger age.

It's a dumb comparison and that part isn't debatable.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Pilut is 3 1/2 years older than Liljegren.

A better comparison is between Pilut and Calle Rosen. Similar age. Pilut has been better for sure, but not drastically.

Also, many Sabres fans always used team scoring (or lack thereof) to prop up guys on their team who weren't putting up points because they were on bad offensive teams. Does that now discount Pilut since his assists are coming on the 2nd best scoring team in the league? Or are those kinds of considerations only given when it helps one's argument?

Except Rosen is older, never produced nearly as well as Pilut in the SHL, or in their rookie AHL seasons, or even comparing this season so far. Again, not saying Pilut vs. Liljegren is a good comparison, since both are at different development points, but there can be a debate as to who one thinks will be better in the future.

Obviously a good ROC team helps Pilut, but he was clearly deserving to be on an NHL roster and is clearly the best player on the AHL team and is a large part as to why they are so good.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

Well in that case context matters, Liljegren is being taught to play D so his numbers arent going to fully reflect what he's capable of. Pilut is what he is - he's not s 19 year old still being developed. I'd argue Brennan is the better comparison because I'd argue Pilut is a similar talent to Brennan, while Liljegren makes for a stupid comparision because his ceiling dwarfs Piluts.

Paul Byron>Andre Svechnikov, because at this moment Byron is better. This is essentially your argument, and its completely moronic.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Well in that case context matters, Liljegren is being taught to play D so his numbers arent going to fully reflect what he's capable of. Pilut is what he is - he's not s 19 year old still being developed. I'd argue Brennan is the better comparison because I'd argue Pilut is a similar talent to Brennan, while Liljegren makes for a stupid comparision because his ceiling dwarfs Piluts.

Paul Byron>Andre Svechnikov, because at this moment Byron is better. This is essentially your argument, and its completely moronic.

Pilut is not what he is. He is 22, just broke out last season, and in his first season in NA. He easily has top-4 upside. I don't think you seem aware to this.

Again, I have not once said this is a good comparison. But it is debatable about who will be better in the future. But giving much worse examples (Svechnikov vs. Byron lol) is not doing anything for your point.

I chose Liljegren FTR. But assuming development is linear and saying that me saying Pilut being still young, better now, and still having very high upside (essentially saying there is a chance he will be better down the road) is moronic, is what is really moronic.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Today I learned defenceman stop developing at 22 years old.

Reactions: Zemgus26

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Pilut is not what he is. He is 22, just broke out last season, and in his first season in NA. He easily has top-4 upside. I don't think you seem aware to this.

Again, I have not once said this is a good comparison. But it is debatable about who will be better in the future. But giving much worse examples (Svechnikov vs. Byron lol) is not doing anything for your point.

I chose Liljegren FTR. But assuming development is linear and saying that me saying Pilut being still young, better now, and still having very high upside (essentially saying there is a chance he will be better down the road) is moronic, is what is really moronic.

Nope, thats pretty much what this is, your argument is based on players in different situations, at different ages, with different skill sets, with different pedigree and different levels of potential because of a small AHL sample size, and its moronic.

If there was something comparable about either of their situations you'd have a point, but their isnt. Brannstrom and Liljegren sure, Pilut and Calle Rosen sure, but instead you went with something akin to a Byron- Svechnikov comparison.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Alright, then how stupid is it to compare a 22 year old to a 19 year old. 3 years is a ton of development for a hockey player.

It's not a good comparison to make, no.

I didn't make this pol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad