Confirmed with Link: Lawrence Gilman, Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford AND Mike Burnstein fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBeautiful

Nature Boy
Jul 17, 2010
Maple Ridge BC
Can't believe so many are shocked to see Lawrence "NTC" Gilman go. Guy could have penned one of the worst contracts in NHL history in The Luongo contract.

Letting go of Crawford is dumb though. Definitely signals Weisbrodnis taking over the scouting.

at the time it was one of the best contracts then the league moved the goal posts

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Reading all these articles about Weisbrod, he sounds like a front office version of Bill Laforge with his PHD (pride, hustle, desire).

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
at the time it was one of the best contracts then the league moved the goal posts

I believe even when it was signed there was a lot of rumblings about the repercussions of what would happen in the next CBA regarding back diving contracts and the league not being pleased about them. It's still stupid to not have grandfathered them when it's exploiting a legal loophole but here we are.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
I believe even when it was signed there was a lot of rumblings about the repercussions of what would happen in the next CBA regarding them.

chicago, detroit and other top organisations were handing out deals with exactly the same structure at the time, and all were endorsed by the nhl as valid contracts

it couldn't have been foreseen how badly the league would acquiesce to brian burke's demands in regards to penalising these deals during cba negotiations

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
chicago, detroit and other top organisations were handing out deals with exactly the same structure at the time, and all were endorsed by the nhl as valid contracts

it couldn't have been foreseen how badly the league would acquiesce to brian burke's demands in regards to penalising these deals during cba negotiations

That's what I edited my post to reflect.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
gilman was extremely important to 2011. we scraped the cap ceiling at one point with $950 cap space. we had alex edler undergo a queued up back surgery at exactly the right time with salo's recovery in order to preserve both of them for the playoffs. if luongo's contract was for like $1000 more we would have had to trade someone.

i absolutely cannot understate how outrageous the 2011 canucks' cap situation was. it was easily the single most important thing a front office executive did that year.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
This is inside job by the Bruins right? I don't understand anything anymore

You see, it's the cold war again. Sweeney is a Habs spy and Benning is a Bruins spy. Who's gonna win? I don't know. Over the Habs board, we were convinced that Bergevin was a Nordiques spy. Until the Kassian trade.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
I believe even when it was signed there was a lot of rumblings about the repercussions of what would happen in the next CBA regarding back diving contracts and the league not being pleased about them. It's still stupid to not have grandfathered them when it's exploiting a legal loophole but here we are.

I was not a fan of the contract but something like that doesn't appear out of nowhere. I think someone higher up the food chain (coughaquilinicough) outlined the basic parameters.

It was in the same manner that I don't think Lamoriello was the driving force behind that Kovalchuk deal.

Soichiro

頑張れカナックス!
May 2, 2011
東京
Found it interesting what Linden said (on TSN 1040) that the release of these guys had nothing to do with their performance, and it was just time to take the team in another direction. He went on to praise their performance, particularly Henning's work with Utica this year. Perhaps I am not giving him the benefit of the doubt, but isn't performance the entire point in a pro sports organization? Even if you are in a rebuilding stage, you are always targeting maximum performance (i.e. performance in developing players, etc.).

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
gilman was extremely important to 2011. we scraped the cap ceiling at one point with $950 cap space. we had alex edler undergo a queued up back surgery at exactly the right time with salo's recovery in order to preserve both of them for the playoffs. if luongo's contract was for like $1000 more we would have had to trade someone.

i absolutely cannot understate how outrageous the 2011 canucks' cap situation was. it was easily the single most important thing a front office executive did that year.

But he was also the guy that pushed to deal a 1st Rd pick and 2 young players to bring Keith Ballard and his big contract in to Vancouver. Having a $4.2mil cap hit for a #6 defenseman was one of the major reasons the Canucks were up against the cap in the first place. Gilman was apparently the mastermind behind that major disappointment. Never mind setting a 'Bieksa cap covenant' which ultimately forced out Ehrhoff, invariably closing this groups Stanley cup window.

Gilman seemed to do a terrific job with the cap in Vancouver, but he was also involved in player personnel, and I've yet to hear which guys he vouched for that found success in Vancouver. Ballard is really the only player I think of when I think of Gilman - who else did he recommend during his time in Vancouver?

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
That's what I edited my post to reflect.

:handclap:

but yeah, when you see the cap hell that almost all cup champions have been through (ie chicago, boston, los angelas) im not sure the value of nitpicking gilman on things like ballard and ntcs when it was generally acknowledged that the canucks managed the cap as well as any contending team as a whole

Ninebreaker

Mar 4, 2014
They probably fired Burnstein after the other three because it would be harder to explain why he had to be let go.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I think is to why too now, is out of control benning has to be gone please

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
But he was also the guy that pushed to deal a 1st Rd pick and 2 young players to bring Keith Ballard and his big contract in to Vancouver. Having a $4.2mil cap hit for a #6 defenseman was one of the major reasons the Canucks were up against the cap in the first place. Gilman was apparently the mastermind behind that major disappointment. Never mind setting a 'Bieksa cap covenant' which ultimately forced out Ehrhoff, invariably closing this groups Stanley cup window.

Gilman seemed to do a terrific job with the cap in Vancouver, but he was also involved in player personnel, and I've yet to hear which guys he vouched for that found success in Vancouver. Ballard is really the only player I think of when I think of Gilman - who else did he recommend during his time in Vancouver?

Losing Ehrhoff did no such thing. We lost because Daniel took a flying Keith elbow and Gillis didn't acquire any additional scoring upfront.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Found it interesting what Linden said (on TSN 1040) that the release of these guys had nothing to do with their performance, and it was just time to take the team in another direction. He went on to praise their performance, particularly Henning's work with Utica this year. Perhaps I am not giving him the benefit of the doubt, but isn't performance the entire point in a pro sports organization? Even if you are in a rebuilding stage, you are always targeting maximum performance (i.e. performance in developing players, etc.).

It's ok, double standard. Even if you're competent we may still fire you for nebulous reasons. Good? Good.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
It's ok, double standard. Even if you're competent we may still fire you for nebulous reasons. Good? Good.

That's just Linden putting a PR spin on this. These were political assassinations.

Weisbrod is putting on a play of Macbeth using our franchise, and it will be a bloodbath of similar fashion.

Amused To Death

Nov 6, 2009
Victoria
I thought the Assistant Coach, Bones, recommended Ballard as well, having coached Ballard with Pheonix? Putting the buck on Gilman for Ballard (on a player that magically regressed in a very weird way no less) is a low thing to do as the guy is kicked to the curb. It's petty.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
That's just Linden putting a PR spin on this. These were political assassinations.

Weisbrod is putting on a play of Macbeth using our franchise, and it will be a bloodbath of similar fashion.

As much as the on ice product is going to suck, this could be amazingly entertaining.

popcorn_stephen_colbert.gif

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
As much as the on ice product is going to suck, this could be amazingly entertaining.

My only hope now is that Horvat and our 2016 & 2017 draft picks make it out alive.

This franchise is going to get lit on fire - no pun intended to Weisbrod's time with the Flames.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
This series of firings actually upsets me more than anything else.

Can we just trade the Sedins to Anaheim so I have a clear choice of team to cheer for? I'd also accept the Rangers, Devils, or Panthers.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
My only hope now is that Horvat and our 2016 & 2017 draft picks make it out alive.

This franchise is going to get lit on fire - no pun intended to Weisbrod's time with the Flames.

Weisbrod only had one year with some power in Calgary... now he's got legit pull which is terrifying

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Exactly. If its not performance-related... it's probably political though they would never say that.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I thought the Assistant Coach, Bones, recommended Ballard as well, having coached Ballard with Pheonix? Putting the buck on Gilman for Ballard (on a player that magically regressed in a very weird way no less) is a low thing to do as the guy is kicked to the curb. It's petty.

It's 'petty' to point out the one player associated with Lawrence Gilman over the duration of his time in Vancouver?

By all means, I would love to hear if he recommended even a single good NHL player while in Vancouver. Did he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad