News Article: Lawless gives Chevy huge vote of confidence; tells people to check their expectations

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
That 2nd rounder wasn't spent was it? We didn't give up any asset to have him play this year. What we did give up imo we can recoup if we want . The salary is pretty much a non or low level issue , certainly that is seen.

OPM , same principle.

If Chevy's philosophy is to build through the draft, giving up high draft picks is massive.

Wanna know why the New England Patriots made the playoffs 10 of last 11 years? They keep collecting draft picks. Gets you cheap labor if the player is a "hit". And more importantly, the more picks you have, the more risk you can take on the picks. If you miss on some picks, not as big of deal because you have so many.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I know they added scouts in Quebec and Europe , plus during the lockout they were as diligent as any NHL team with their staff being utilized for scouting.

I wonder if we didn't draft Copp because "all our people" made multiple trips to watch Jacob play for Michigan during the lock out and they all would have got a very good look at Andrew.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
If Chevy's philosophy is to build through the draft, giving up high draft picks is massive.

Wanna know why the New England Patriots made the playoffs 10 of last 11 years? They keep collecting draft picks. Gets you cheap labor if the player is a "hit". And more importantly, the more picks you have, the more risk you can take on the picks. If you miss on some picks, not as big of deal because you have so many.
Good Point.

The Jets need to give Chevy the vote of confidence. But dump Noel while they still can, before he ruins the team beyond repair and we're forced to rebuild the team.... again.

jetkarma*

Ahhhh .... because of Belichick and Brady. And Spygate.

Not even close , NE has used the multiple pick methodology but they actually have not drafted that well . I'll just let you presume you know and that it was grave error to use a future pick on a proven younger player at a position of need , that could be flipped for the same investment price.

jetkarma*

I wonder if we didn't draft Copp because "all our people" made multiple trips to watch Jacob play for Michigan during the lock out and they all would have got a very good look at Andrew.

Shhhh ... :)

jetkarma*

Good Point.

The Jets need to give Chevy the vote of confidence. But dump Noel while they still can, before he ruins the team beyond repair and we're forced to rebuild the team.... again.

They did , it was given as a five year extension , that is a vote of confidence.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Ahhhh .... because of Belichick and Brady. And Spygate.

Not even close , NE has used the multiple pick methodology but they actually have not drafted that well . I'll just let you presume you know and that it was grave error to use a future pick on a proven younger player at a position of need , that could be flipped for the same investment price.

Well aware Belichick hasn't drafted well. Goes back to my point...more picks you have, more room for error.

jetkarma*

Well aware Belichick hasn't drafted well. Goes back to my point...more picks you have, more room for error.

Which if you have been reading you would have seen I have been a proponent of this and written several times on this methodology . The point still is , we didn't trade a pick that was used ... OPM , just like using other peoples money , you build wealth that way , and in this case organizational wealth.

Winnipeg has the ability to recoup that pick and have used a future asset in essence for free . We may even get more for it , and we had the chance to get a player who has been a proven secondary forward , is youngish , at a position of need. Seto could have been a solid piece to a team that made the playoff , we needed someone there. If he wants to sign , you can argue he was worth the pick or not , but most picks wont play to his level to date , some of course will and out perform him . There is some risk or gamble ,but you hedge that with being able to trade him at the deadline to a team hungry for that "piece" and there will be suitors for him.

I am virtually certain Cheveldayoff would like to make a deal like this most years , let's see how this unfolds . I stand by it as a prudent , strategic move.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Its a bad draft year so that was a Risk/Reward trade so im not to upset about it. Hopefully we can get a 2nd back for him at the deadline at least

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Which if you have been reading you would have seen I have been a proponent of this and written several times on this methodology . The point still is , we didn't trade a pick that was used ... OPM , just like using other peoples money , you build wealth that way , and in this case organizational wealth.

Winnipeg has the ability to recoup that pick and have used a future asset in essence for free . We may even get more for it , and we had the chance to get a player who has been a proven secondary forward , is youngish , at a position of need. Seto could have been a solid piece to a team that made the playoff , we needed someone there. If he wants to sign , you can argue he was worth the pick or not , but most picks wont play to his level to date , some of course will and out perform him . There is some risk or gamble ,but you hedge that with being able to trade him at the deadline to a team hungry for that "piece" and there will be suitors for him.

I am virtually certain Cheveldayoff would like to make a deal like this most years , let's see how this unfolds . I stand by it as a prudent , strategic move.

I stand by it as a bad move. What if Seto gets hurt? Can't trade him.

There were other guys who could've been acquired without giving up picks. Brunner, Morrow, Grabovski all come to mind.

The Jets should be acquiring as many picks as possible no matter how good/bad the draft year is. Drafting is their strength. Play to your strength.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
There are 30 teams in the league chasing UFA's. Hard to just say "player x was available as UFA, why didn't we pick him up?"

If you expect to build a playoff team without taking some risks, you are crazy. The Setoguchi trade was hardly a wild risk, dealing a 2nd in a draft that is not very strong. Chevy has shown that he will collect and hoard picks in deep drafts, and I assume that when he deals Setoguchi it won't be for 2014 picks.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

That's pretty much how I saw the Seto trade. Last summer his approx value was a mid 2nd round pick. If he finds a home with the Jets well worth the price. If things don't work out you get approx value back at the trade deadline. And in the meantime we have an upgrade at a position of weakness. I see it as a win-win.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
There are 30 teams in the league chasing UFA's. Hard to just say "player x was available as UFA, why didn't we pick him up?"

If you expect to build a playoff team without taking some risks, you are crazy. The Setoguchi trade was hardly a wild risk, dealing a 2nd in a draft that is not very strong. Chevy has shown that he will collect and hoard picks in deep drafts, and I assume that when he deals Setoguchi it won't be for 2014 picks.

I'm well award of that not all UFA's want to go to X team. But committing over $3M in cap space to Seto made it impossible to even chase any of the other guys.

Setoguchi has been mediocre at best this season. He was even healthy scratched.

This "other people's money" philosophy...I don't want to say it's flawed, but it's really risky. You're hoping that Setoguchi plays to his potential when two teams have already given up on him. And if he doesn't work out, you're hoping that another GM will have the cap space and pick to trade for him before deadline. Not only that, but that he also stays healthy.

Why not offer Burmistrov Seto's money? Was that even done? Heck, I'd take Wellwood back over Seto.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Why not offer Burmistrov Seto's money? Was that even done? Heck, I'd take Wellwood back over Seto.

Burmistrov didn't deserve 3M per year. 1.5M tops. Frolik had two 20 goal seasons and didn't get 3M.

White Out 403*

seto was a bad trade. I remember driving home from work when I heard about the trade on the radio and being very underwhelmed. I understand the risk and reward chevy was hoping to get out of it but it was a pretty bad deal in hindsight. If you try and move him at this years trade deadline I suspect his real value now is in the 3rd round.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
That Seto trade was what it was. A talented but inconsistent player that met a positional need was available for a relatively cheap price, to date it hasn't worked out. If Seto didn't have warts he likely would not have been available and definitely not for that price. I'm not a fan of trading picks, but after your 1st if you want to take the odd gamble on a guy who is an established NHL player I don't mind that. Chevy gambled Seto would get it together, he lost but he also gambled on Frolik and won IMO.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yea I am with you guys but I will throw a small wrench into this. I do believe it is time to address Buff (or Bogo) one way or the other but this is the summer they will need to extend Ladd (IMHO) and how do you balance these two actions. Andrew was obviously pretty high on the Little Wheeler signings last summer and I am sure as a group they talked and Andrew indicated to the boys if their deals got done he would extend. Now comes the tough part since Buff is close buddies with all of them and they all believe he is a very talented player. ;)

Hey its a business and Chevy has to do what he has to do but these moves don't happen in a vacuum.

I think that Ladd is very motivated to bring a winner to Winnipeg. In that vein I think he would be open to trading Byfuglien even though they are friends. Buff just does not make sense and what we would get back for him would far better suit our roster and needs going forward.

I think Ladd can balance friendships with wanting to win.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I think that Ladd is very motivated to bring a winner to Winnipeg. In that vein I think he would be open to trading Byfuglien even though they are friends. Buff just does not make sense and what we would get back for him would far better suit our roster and needs going forward.

So Ladd is Judas.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Agreed.

That people have these discussions about friendships and transactions on a forum for a professional sports team is unbelievable to me. It's not a slo-pitch team. Every player understands how this works, and I mean really, Ladd would probably understand it better than most being traded twice already.

It's not like the Jets will block Byfuglien's number on Ladd's phone if he gets dealt. It's great if we have a team that likes each other (although that could cause some "accountability" issues), but doesn't matter much if that doesn't translate to wins on the ice.

Do people here stop working if their friend leaves the workplace? We're talking about professionals, not 16 year-old girls working retail.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Agreed.

That people have these discussions about friendships and transactions on a forum for a professional sports team is unbelievable to me. It's not a slo-pitch team. Every player understands how this works, and I mean really, Ladd would probably understand it better than most being traded twice already.

It's not like the Jets will block Byfuglien's number on Ladd's phone if he gets dealt. It's great if we have a team that likes each other (although that could cause some "accountability" issues), but doesn't matter much if that doesn't translate to wins on the ice.

Do people here stop working if their friend leaves the workplace? We're talking about professionals, not 16 year-old girls working retail.

People are actually talking about it besides Jet? Why are you so hard on Jet?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
People are actually talking about it besides Jet? Why are you so hard on Jet?

It's a pretty common topic on sports forums. How will this player react to that player being traded kind of stuff.

It would be relevant if Vancouver was trading Daniel and keeping Henrik.

And I agreed with Jet.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
It's a pretty common topic on sports forums. How will this player react to that player being traded kind of stuff.

It would be relevant if Vancouver was trading Daniel and keeping Henrik.

And I agreed with Jet.

Well, Jet was the only one talking about friends here and you ripped into those people. mean hearted.

I am kidding btw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad