News Article: Lawless gives Chevy huge vote of confidence; tells people to check their expectations

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
He makes lots of good points but the first two paragraphs are completely flawed. If the org depth was really that bad in the first two years he should've initiated at least a mini rebuild. Selling oduya for picks doesn't count. That's his only rebuild move in three years. Chevy was and still remains very heavily insulated from fan backlash with the sth contracts, huge waiting list, and patient ownership group. Chevy thought the same as the fans thought, this team had a chance to make the playoffs in the first three years.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Like most Jets fans I just want a team at this point that tries hard every game. That seems like a reasonable approach, but if the compete level of this team stays at LOW it does not bode well for the future. Seems to me that there is a culture of mediocrity that needs to be eradicated. That will be a tough job.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Lawless lays it on a bit thick.
not sure if our prospects' cupboard is the envy of NHL GMs. Morrissey, Petan, Comrie and maybe Lowry are the 4 guys that have a strong shot at having an impact at the NHL level. Every team has 4 players they can get relatively excited about.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Anyone who thought we would not**take a big step back in team results moving from the SE to the central is crazy....... We are not very good and years away from being competitive.... So those who where against selling at the deadline the last few years to sneak into the playoffs in the east are now the first ones yelling for heads to roll. We should have been selling anyone and everyone not part of our long term future at the deadline..... That should happen this year also.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
There was actually a big change from the team that finished the last season in Atlanta and the one that started their first season in Winnipeg. The second year then saw some a bunch of other changes as well. Gone were names like Jones, Flood, Stapleton, and a whole bunch more that played lesser number of games. The rebuild has been pretty consistent.

He makes lots of good points but the first two paragraphs are completely flawed. If the org depth was really that bad in the first two years he should've initiated at least a mini rebuild. Selling oduya for picks doesn't count. That's his only rebuild move in three years. Chevy was and still remains very heavily insulated from fan backlash with the sth contracts, huge waiting list, and patient ownership group. Chevy thought the same as the fans thought, this team had a chance to make the playoffs in the first three years.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Lawless lays it on a bit thick.
not sure if our prospects' cupboard is the envy of NHL GMs. Morrissey, Petan, Comrie and maybe Lowry are the 4 guys that have a strong shot at having an impact at the NHL level. Every team has 4 players they can get relatively excited about.

Yup Lawless has his homer glasses firmly on while writing this article:

Winnipeg has the best pair of rookies in the NHL

Really? Not even "one of the best pair of rookies"? I love Trouba and Scheifele but Barkov/Bjugstad and Nichushkin/Chiasson say hello

These are early days, but Trouba reminds a lot of NHL people of a young Chris Pronger. Scheifele, who has yet to finish growing, has No. 1 centre written all over his game.

My expectations for Trouba are sky high but to already proclaim him the second coming on Chris Pronger is a bit out there. Lawless is clearly still in the Christmas mood

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Selling oduya for picks doesn't count.

I'm not sure why it doesn't count. At the time he was traded, Oduya was the poster child for the free pizza. People seemed a bit shocked that the Jets were able to get that much in return. It definately was a patience move as the picks were a year in the future. 2013 was considered stronger so it made sense but it was a sign of patience for sure.

We currently have 7 picks at 2014 draft. No 2nd rd but 2 4th rd. I can see Chevy adding to that total and perhaps picking up a couple in 2015 at the same time. This is a perfect year to stock up. Play the hand you're dealt.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Anyone who thought we would not**take a big step back in team results moving from the SE to the central is crazy....... We are not very good and years away from being competitive.... So those who where against selling at the deadline the last few years to sneak into the playoffs in the east are now the first ones yelling for heads to roll. We should have been selling anyone and everyone not part of our long term future at the deadline..... That should happen this year also.

People having a differing opinion are not 'crazy'. Overly optimistic, perhaps.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Anyone who thought we would not**take a big step back in team results moving from the SE to the central is crazy....... We are not very good and years away from being competitive....

And think how much worse things ( fan reaction ) would be if we had made the playoffs the 2 years we were in the SE, then go to the Central and play like we are. We are not a playoff team, not even close. All playing in the SE did is raise expectations and give false hope as to how good we are. Not just to the fans, but the players as well.

I think if we had started in the NHL in the West, I don't think anyone would be looking down on the team right now, or as much as they currently are.. IMO if we had started in the West, our first two seasons would have really sucked and we would actually be looking like we are improving at this point instead of the optical illusion that we are worse.

I think the current Jets are a better team than the team we had in the first two seasons. The difference is we are now playing in reality.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
My favourite part of the way he builds the team is how he favours North Americans. Look at the Blackhawks flyers final from a few years ago, they had like 5 Europeans combined including goalies. Call it cliche but that's the way to win the gritty playoff games

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
And think how much worse things ( fan reaction ) would be if we had made the playoffs the 2 years we were in the SE, then go to the Central and play like we are. We are not a playoff team, not even close. All playing in the SE did is raise expectations and give false hope as to how good we are. Not just to the fans, but the players as well.

I think if we had started in the NHL in the West, I don't think anyone would be looking down on the team right now, or as much as they currently are.. IMO if we had started in the West, our first two seasons would have really sucked and we would actually be looking like we are improving at this point instead of the optical illusion that we are worse.

I think the current Jets are a better team than the team we had in the first two seasons. The difference is we are now playing in reality.

I liken it to as if the Jets had been promoted up a division, as in soccer, and in which case, I'm happy if they avoid being relegated this year :)

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
People having a differing opinion are not 'crazy'. Overly optimistic, perhaps.

I think those who genuinely thought we would do any better in this division this year would fall into the 'foolishly optimistic' column.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Lawless pretty much wrote the article ownership wants to present to the public. Its timely as the Jets are dropping like a stone. "Don't worry, be happy, the future is bright".

Though Lawless lays it on pretty thick expect more and more of this message as time goes on. I'm fine with this team starts doing a serious rebuild now that they have replenished the prospect cupboards. I real rebuild would now require moving some older pieces (hello Big Buff) for more future parts. IMO things need to get worse before they will get better.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
My favourite part of the way he builds the team is how he favours North Americans. Look at the Blackhawks flyers final from a few years ago, they had like 5 Europeans combined including goalies. Call it cliche but that's the way to win the gritty playoff games
The Black Hawks active roster currently shows 8 Europeans out of 24 players, a full third of their team.
They seem to be doing OK.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
There are some things he touches on which is good to see MSM do...

He does accept that Chevy has made mistakes.
He does mention the waning honeymoon, but not in prototypical way.
He accepts that it's not just merely leadership and "trying harder" but inadequacy of talent.

Ya some things are eye roll-able, but there are good points too.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I think those who genuinely thought we would do any better in this division this year would fall into the 'foolishly optimistic' column.

I certainly didn't see the avs and stars doing this well. I thought we would fight nash and minny for playoff spots and beating the wild tonight will at least give us hope.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Pretty good article.

Although there are going to be some here who don't like it because it goes against their "Chevy / TNSE management" all suck meme.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This article was the natural backlash / counterpoint to the "honeymoon period" article. It was not unexpected.

Wait until tonight's game - I expect the Jets to be on fire, and the crowd to be wild. That is, unless Pavs lets in an easy goal or two early in the game. :D

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I certainly didn't see the avs and stars doing this well. I thought we would fight nash and minny for playoff spots and beating the wild tonight will at least give us hope.

I had the Jets as 6th in the division. We had the same coach and goalie and couldn't see how we would finish higher than that. We were going into the "tighter" western conference and our GAA was close to 3.

I don't think I had Colorado as 3rd but see what a new coach and a high pick can do? Look at Dallas and their high pick and coach as well.

There is still hope for next season. It's finding the "right" coach for this team. Just finding any old coach is not the answer, Need someone who is going to play defensive and someone the players are going to respond to and "buy in".

On the other hand, if Noel, Flaherty, and Huddy are here...... Get the paper bags ready.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Hope the Jets go gunning for the top and get in close-up on the Wild, close enough for a Polaroid. They'd have to be inverted though I guess. At least within 2 metres.

Wait until tonight's game - I expect the Jets to be on fire, and the crowd to be wild. That is, unless Pavs lets in an easy goal or two early in the game. :D

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Leaving hyperbole and all of the cute stuff aside, here's what I get from the article: This is a reminder that the ship that was the Atlanta Thrashers organization and is now the Winnipeg Jets is a big, big ship, and it takes a long time to turn those suckers around. Especially when there are 29 other ships all in very close proximity. It doesn't just happen right away, and if you try you risky capsizing the whole thing.

THAT BEING SAID:

I think Winnipegers and Jets fans the world over are okay with the team losing in the short term if it means establishing a team that can be perennial contenders in the long run. What we are not okay with is the effort the team is putting out.

These things are mutually exclusive of each other. The first part isn't going to cause problems with the fan base, but the second part could.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad