Speculation: Laviolette/Mike Babcock

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Why hire a coach who can't get it done elsewhere? If we are making a change, just give it to Lambert.
The counterargument would be that a guy like Babcock most definitely HAS got it done elsewhere. He has 700 wins and a Cup. And World Cup, etc.

Of course there are caveats to that, about the quality of his teams, etc.

A guy like Lambert... could be the best young hockey mind in the world right now, who knows - but lots of guys have won in junior and nobody knows what they will do in the NHL. Poile of course has the benefit of being able to talk to Lambert, truly get a first-hand impression of his potential - we never have anything like that. But it's rarely a slam dunk that a young, relatively inexperienced HC steps into his first NHL job and wins? Those links to studies on coaching changes are interesting, but... how many of the success stories are a "new kid" stepping into what is initially tagged as an "interim" job?

(I don't actually have any personal opinion here on where to go... I don't feel like we'll ever have the requisite information to make an informed decision. It is all just for the sake of discussion).

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Babcock got it done in a different era. His last Cup was what? 2008? He was fired from a team that is built to play in today's league. We'd be better off just trying to bring Trotz back.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Babcock got it done in a different era. His last Cup was what? 2008? He was fired from a team that is built to play in today's league. We'd be better off just trying to bring Trotz back.
I'd say he got fired from a team that has enormous fundamental flaws. The Leafs have a huge imbalance in player capabilities, such poor depth and defensive construction. They've done somewhat ok-ish under Babcock, but it remains to be seen where the true problem is.

Anybody would be best off with Trotz - I thought he was the best coach in the NHL even before his latest string of successes. But he does go to show that you can't hang on forever with the same voice, all the same.

In the summer my choice would have been a young, up-and-comer. I have no idea if Lambert is really anywhere near the leading edge in that category. Keefe was definitely considered so. The European candidates were also considered as a potential new source of top talent. Recycling a Babcock or Sutter would have been my worst nightmare. Although I sense that Sutter is more of a straight-shooter who is just a natural hardass but doesn't need to play any games about it, and Babcock maybe goes to some other levels of depravity trying to pull strings. :dunno:

But Mid-season to snap a team out of complacency and kickstart a turnaround? I just don't know. I still lean to not wanting any of the recycled oldschool types. But it's an interesting debate. Laviolette might pull us out of the current tailspin, who knows - but long-term it's still hard to believe he hasn't gone past his expiry date. Even if we reel off 5 wins in a row now, I suspect this subject will come back up at some point.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
FWIW I don't think we need to touch a recycled coach whenever Lavi is inevitably fired.
Bring a coach from the AHL or juniors or f*** it, break the boys club and get a coach from abroad. They don't work because they are not given the chance. How do Sweden and Finland constantly bring good results tournament after another with inferior rosters compared to the NA coaches but never get jobs in the best league in the world?

Yeah you could say that the rink size matters but I definitely don't think it does to an extent that there are 0 coaches from the nations that develop a great part of the talent the NHL possesses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad