Laval Rocket: Laval Rocket at Cleveland Monsters 7:00 pm

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yep it's over. I'm not impress by Laval management, the can't seem to get what it takes to make the playoffs.
I watched some game live and I was not impressed at all by the coaching staff, the team have no consistency and they make so many mistakes. IMO a coaching change should be done.

Reactions: Treb and cphabs

Jul 6, 2016
I watched some game live and I was not impressed at all by the coaching staff, the team have no consistency and they make so many mistakes. IMO a coaching change should be done.
Not coaching staff fault. Too many rookies and mediocre vets players.

Reactions: Nicko999

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Not coaching staff fault. Too many rookies and mediocre vets players.
I am not sure. The talent is there but the execution is very poor and even the veterans looked lost at some point. Overall if it's not the coaching staff then we have the most overrated prospect pool in all hockey. Plenty of top draft pick on that team.

Reactions: Treb

Guillermo

Aug 13, 2002
Hull / Québec
Visit site
They barely made the playoffs last year with what I feel was a much better line-up. The way the team is playing, they are where they should be. Still frustrating that the Rocket has so few playoff appearances or limited playoff success in recent years. Impressed with Dobes, Reinbacher, cautiously optimistic for Mailloux. Farrell needs to get stronger, he has great hockey sense. I still think he can make it. Heineman despite his shortcomings wouldn't hurt on the 4th line...

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I am not sure. The talent is there but the execution is very poor and even the veterans looked lost at some point. Overall if it's not the coaching staff then we have the most overrated prospect pool in all hockey. Plenty of top draft pick on that team.
I strongly disagree on the talent. Their forward group was offensively impotent. A strong 2nd half in nets by Dobes kept the team alive this long.

Who are the "plenty of top draft picks" at forward on this team? Kidney, Farrell?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I strongly disagree on the talent. Their forward group was offensively impotent. A strong 2nd half in nets by Dobes kept the team alive this long.

Who are the "plenty of top draft picks" at forward on this team? Kidney, Farrell?

I think he's talking about the older guys drafted elsewhere;

Gorton drafted Lias 7th overall

Perreault late 1st rounder, Stephens and Heinemen are high 2nd picks

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

3rd best offence in the AHL (up from 5th a few weeks ago, pretty much top7 all year) is offensively impotent.

31st in goals against, up from 32nd from the 1st half.

Reactions: montreal and bcv

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I think he's talking about the older guys drafted elsewhere;

Gorton drafted Lias 7th overall

Perreault late 1st rounder, Stephens and Heinemen are high 2nd picks
Other than Heineman, the others are all castaways with the teams that drafted them and are now pure AHLers.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
3rd best offence in the AHL (up from 5th a few weeks ago, pretty much top7 all year) is offensively impotent.

31st in goals against, up from 32nd from the 1st half.
Were they really 3rd in GF in the AHL? Good lord...they seem to get outplayed every game and none of the forwards had PPG seasons. Gignac was the closest with 55 in 61 games.

Reactions: Guillermo

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Were they really 3rd in GF in the AHL? Good lord...they seem to get outplayed every game and none of the forwards had PPG seasons. Gignac was the closest with 55 in 61 games.

Tied 3rd at 227 goals. #1 has 238, #10 has 215, #16 has 205, last has 152.

For GA, 31st at 236, last at 248, #16 at 204, #10 at 190, #1 at 138.

No ppg skater (apart from Armia 9 in 8), but lots of distributed scoring. 9 guys with 10+ goals.

With a middle of the pack defensive effort, they would be comfortably in the PO.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I am done with this version of the Rocket. There are some good pieces with Mailloux, Dobes, Reinbacher but nothing else. They need a different group of managers.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I am done with this version of the Rocket. There are some good pieces with Mailloux, Dobes, Reinbacher but nothing else. They need a different group of managers.

I'd argue there are more good piecses than that, but team cohesion has definitely been a problem. It's been a struggle to have lines or pair that give consistent good play.

Of course, injuries didn't help either.

It will be interesting to see what Sedgwick does this summer as far as coaches and vets go.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Tied 3rd at 227 goals. #1 has 238, #10 has 215, #16 has 205, last has 152.

For GA, 31st at 236, last at 248, #16 at 204, #10 at 190, #1 at 138.

No ppg skater (apart from Armia 9 in 8), but lots of distributed scoring. 9 guys with 10+ goals.

With a middle of the pack defensive effort, they would be comfortably in the PO.
Whether or not Houle and staff stay/go will depend largely on the organization's priorities. Most of the young players who got called up to the big club performed well in the NHL and both Xhekaj and Armia played noticeably better after their AHL stints. We all know this HuGo brass is big on development. On the other hand, I'm sure our top brass would have liked to see the team go to the playoffs so our kids could get some big game experience. They may also want a new voice and to bring in their own guy. We shall see.

I could care less about Houle and his coaching staff but I'm just pointing these things out after stepping back and taking a few breaths while others have their pitchforks and torches ready. :laugh: Watching their inconsistent play from period to period was very frustrating.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016

Same as the big club, obviously the coaching staff in Laval has to use the same system used by MSL, it MAY be (insisting on the may) be good for skills devlopment from what i've been told on here but this system clearly doesn't help Montréal or Laval win games right now.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'd argue there are more good piecses than that, but team cohesion has definitely been a problem. It's been a struggle to have lines or pair that give consistent good play.

Of course, injuries didn't help either.

It will be interesting to see what Sedgwick does this summer as far as coaches and vets go.
I am sure a few more pieces will emerge but the current roster has very NHL upside.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If you can't build an AHL team, I'll have trouble believing you can build an NHL team...

To give the benefit of the doubt to Hughes and co, next year is the year 2022 draftees (except overager Davidson) will start making their way to the AHL.

Might get up to 8 of them next year (Mesar, Beck, Hutson, Engstrom, Rohrer, Guindon, Nurmi and Tourigny). Of course some of them still have time to sign later (Engstrom, Rohrer) or might not get signed (Guindon, Nurmi), but we should get a good look at the first crop of Hughes draftees going AHL pro.

Reactions: Nicko999

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad