Votes: 11 8.9%
  • No

Votes: 96 78.0%
  • Undecided, I have to see more

Votes: 16 13.0%

• Total voters

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
SO wait, what I'm hearing if the team plays bad its the Goalie's fault.

A goalie can definitely influence how a team plays, that is correct. If he's struggling, they'll have a tendency to tighten up. Montreal is a great example of that. When Carey Price is not in net, or is not playing Price-like, they struggle in their own end, and also on offence. When he's playing and on his game, they move pucks better, play with more confidence, and therefor also score more.

And the biggest thing is besides making some good saves, is not to let in the stinkers, as well as being sound technically. He has shown he's got a tendency to let in softies, which really put a team on edge. There tends to be a whole lot of scrambling around the net when he's in there, due to his rebound control issues. He was highly fortunate last night, in that the Leafs failed to put a few into empty nets during scrambles.He wasn't the reason they lost last night, but that goal killed them, considering the guy at the other end of the ice did his job.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Chia should've been on the phone after that disastrous Calgary game. Was he the reason the Oilers lost last night? Not the sole reason but one of them. Even one soft goal is usually enough to sink this team and there's been too many from him this year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Chia should've been on the phone after that disastrous Calgary game. Was he the reason the Oilers lost last night? Not the sole reason but one of them. Even one soft goal is usually enough to sink this team and there's been too many from him this year.
I haven't be enamoured with Broissant's play, but it's very hard to blame a 1-0 loss on the goaltender, especially when he gives up that goal early in the first period. I would have loved him to stop it, but he did literally everything else required.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I haven't be enamoured with Broissant's play, but it's very hard to blame a 1-0 loss on the goaltender, especially when he gives up that goal early in the first period. I would have loved him to stop it, but he did literally everything else required.

He had 21 shots to stop after his blooper first one went in.

9 were directed at him from every angle in the first 10 minutes after he leaked in the first one. Of the 9, many rebound and scrambles ensued, solved not by his net minding but created by his netminding, solved by his defence and Nylander missing a wide open net. Several shot attempts missed as he slid wide of the net overplaying pucks. His terrible play in the first 10 minutes resulted in his team going into full ass pucker mode and until they settled down and took the game over, it was near full on panic trying to prevent Leaf shots from getting anywhere near the net.

After that flurry the Leaf shots were 2 in the final 10 of the first, 7 in the second and 5 in the third, nary a scoring opportunity of note among them.

I am not sure what everything else required means, but to me a 4th string AHL goalie could have played in net after the 10 minute mark and done what LB did. His play directly resulted in the 9 shots and multiple missed opportunities the Leafs generated after his blooper goal, blooper number 5 in the past 5 games not counting simply weak goals from playing too deep in his crease and giving the shooter the entire top half of the net to shoot at.

I agree, he did not cost the Oilers the game flat out but he played a major contributing part.

If you want to see what a real backup goalie should be doing, look down at the other end at what McLhenny did. That is what a backup is supposed to do, give your team a fighting chance and instill confidence.

Croissant is the exact opposite.

Reactions: dawunderboy

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If anything that makes it worse. How many times this year has the first shot gone in?

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Personally I don't put a huge amount of blame on LB for the loss but I'm sick and tired of our goalies letting in the first friggen shot every game.

I'm sure the players are too.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If anything that makes it worse. How many times this year has the first shot gone in?

Personally I don't put a huge amount of blame on LB for the loss but I'm sick and tired of our goalies letting in the first friggen shot every game.

I'm sure the players are too.

Yes and this carries over game to game to game. The team will be tentative until they know if Croissant is going to actually stop a few pucks directed his way and not go into full blown freshly caught fish out of water mode while doing it. Will they have to fight from behind like they have 2o of 30 games this year? His poor goaltending impacts the game far beyond a single blown shot.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I'm quite surprised at how bad he has been. He looked to have a promising future not that long ago.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

9 were directed at him from every angle in the first 10 minutes after he leaked in the first one. Of the 9, many rebound and scrambles ensued, solved not by his net minding but created by his netminding, solved by his defence and Nylander missing a wide open net. Several shot attempts missed as he slid wide of the net overplaying pucks. His terrible play in the first 10 minutes resulted in his team going into full ass pucker mode and until they settled down and took the game over, it was near full on panic trying to prevent Leaf shots from getting anywhere near the net.

After that flurry the Leaf shots were 2 in the final 10 of the first, 7 in the second and 5 in the third, nary a scoring opportunity of note among them.

I am not sure what everything else required means, but to me a 4th string AHL goalie could have played in net after the 10 minute mark and done what LB did. His play directly resulted in the 9 shots and multiple missed opportunities the Leafs generated after his blooper goal, blooper number 5 in the past 5 games not counting simply weak goals from playing too deep in his crease and giving the shooter the entire top half of the net to shoot at.

I agree, he did not cost the Oilers the game flat out but he played a major contributing part.

If you want to see what a real backup goalie should be doing, look down at the other end at what McLhenny did. That is what a backup is supposed to do, give your team a fighting chance and instill confidence.

Heh. Don't know what was more annoying last night. The first shot going in or Hughson imagining a letter "N" in Brossoit's name.

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Witch

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Got the feeling brossoit is going to be humiliated tonight.

Looked very lucky vs Toronto. Toronto missed several empty nets.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Why does he suck so bad short side? Schwartz needs to be fired. If you can't fix that and going up high on talbot seriously f*** off.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

no, what lost the oilers the game, and the only major contributing factor was not scoring a goal.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
0.933, one unstoppable and one screened by Russell (still very much saveable though). He actually made a lot of great saves, it seems like he's playing much better recently.

I don't think we really have a tonne of room to complain when our goalie has let in only 3 goals in 2 games and after a horrible start is posting a 0.928 save % in the past 4 games. Do we expect a shutout every game? Seems like.

The glaring thing he needs to work on is making sure those goals he does let in are not on the first couple of shots.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I disagree he made any great saves, he made some good saves and didn’t have to be great. Still let in the daily blooper and has the control and poise of someone with their hair on fire.

Not a fan of his game but I am a fan of him if that makes sense, and I think the team has done him a huge disservice by not allowing him to play 50games in the AHL and develop properly.

Having him in net with a large stretch of games with our season on the line when he barely plays is not fair to a developing goalie.

I was pulling for him to get a shutout today too.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Boxcars look good, however makes every routine save look difficult and that shortside goal is awful. No confidence in him at all

Reactions: Night Witch

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Boxcars look good, however makes every routine save look difficult and that shortside goal is awful. No confidence in him at all

Yeah, his shortside is almost comically bad, whether its high or in his feet, he just doesn't control the puck at ALL. He also looks like he's fighting the puck a lot, especially blocker side.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He loses the puck more than I lose my car keys. But if that forces our D to tighten up so be it. Talbot please get better soon...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad