Value of: Laughton?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Fletcher mentioned at the deadline that there were teams calling on him. He wouldn’t move him. So I’m thinking he has value around the league. Probably better than a 3rd rounder.

He likely was asking for more than what teams offered.

He’s only 1 season till UFA.

I see him at deadline getting 2 picks like a playoff 3rd and a 6th or a high 4thwithout any salary retained. It could be an average prospect and a 6th. Like someone who isn’t yo bad but has a low ceiling.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Not a chance the Flyers trade him for a 3rd. They have him playing on the 2nd line right now. They like what he brings.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Guarantee that the Flyers wouldn't trade him for anything less than a mid 2nd, he's worth too much to us to settle for anything less. He's a former late 1st rnd pick that although he didn't reach his max peak when drafted, he's become a very solid bottom 6 forward who can play up in the lineup when necessary, is good defensively, is real good on the PK, is a very smart player, and always brings his best game every game and every shift. He may not be great or anything but he's very strong in the role he's asked to do and the team and coach depend on him. He's probably worth far more to Philly than what any team would be willing to pay to pry him away from us.

To be clear, he's what typical late 1st rnd picks become. You hope they become and impact player but often they just become a solid bottom 6 role player. A late 1st rnd pick in a typical draft often becomes just like Laughton. Nobody would trade a late 1st for him but keeping your late 1st you'd likely get a Laughton type player in 5 or 6 years.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Laughton depends on if you think he has really improved and point are coming because of chemisty with Hayes. OR this is a puck luck season and expecting over .5 ppg again is fool's gold. At a manageable 2.3m cap he might get a 2 pick the 45-55 pick range and I would rather keep at that return.

Reactions: phlocky

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
It's one of those scenarios where he is more valuable to his current team than his fair market value.

With one year left on his contract he is also in a great position to have a handshake agreement to sign him after the expansion draft

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
IF the Flyers ever decide to move him, he'd be worth no less than a 2nd and a 3rd.

That's what we paid for Braun, our 3rd pairing D-man.

Reactions: _Del_

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's probably worth more to Philly than to anyone else, tbh.

Yeah. He's one of those kinda versatile pieces that teams in a competitive window like to just hold onto. Especially a homegrown one, on a reasonable contract for the time being. Just doesn't make sense for them to move him.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
unless an over payment you keep him. Flyers are looking to make a run the next 2 years they have him under contract. He helps the team. If he walks in 2 years so be it as its not always about future picks or prospect accumulation

Reactions: Flyer lurker

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Laughton is a better player than people (hung up on stats) give him credit for, I'm a fan. I wouldn't break the bank for him but at the right price and right role he certainly adds value. I'll argue we haven't seen the best from him yet.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Today's game proves that..

Laughton is a better player than people (hung up on stats) give him credit for, I'm a fan. I wouldn't break the bank for him but at the right price and right role he certainly adds value. I'll argue we haven't seen the best from him yet.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Adding that Laughton also seems to be playing better on the LW then he does at Center and in the first two games of the round robin has been finding consistency with line mates Hayes and Konecny.

Scott has always been responsible defensively, is good on the penalty killing aspects of the game, has gotten a lot better with forechecking, is really good at making the opposing team turn the puck over, is good at faceoffs when he’s been at the C position and is one of the better skaters in a straight line on the team.

Gone are the days of Laughton being part Ram and diving head first into the boards knocking himself cold or being overwhelmed playing center and getting overmatched in the neutral zone.

LW seems to be where Laughton is at he’s best and may get even better with skilled line mates...

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Remember, the Flyers got:

3rd for Zac Rinaldo
3rd for Cooper Marody

We know Laughton has more value than either of them when they were traded.

Weren’t those deadline deals? Thus by playoff teams do the pick was late in 3rd?

Individual deadline deals of picks 3rd or later...if the GMs have done deals previously these also play a role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad