Laughs lose their SCF! Habs 9-0-0 Habs win 5-3

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
FYI: If the Canadiens win in regulation against the Canucks on Tuesday to go 10-0 it WILL BE A NEW RECORD. Yes the 1993-94 Leafs & 2006-07 Sabres also went 10-0 but the Leafs needed overtime to get one of those wins & Buffalo required 3 shoot outs in their wins.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
FYI: If the Canadiens win in regulation against the Canucks on Tuesday to go 10-0 it WILL BE A NEW RECORD. Yes the 1993-94 Leafs & 2006-07 Sabres also went 10-0 but the Leafs needed overtime to get one of those wins & Buffalo required 3 shoot outs in their wins.

So 9-0-0 is the actual record for ROW?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I won't make fun of the Leafs.Their shot total suggests that they're doing something right. IMO Babcock is teaching them well and they'll improve further by the end of the season, although not by enough to make the playoffs.

What do the Habs have tis season that they haven't had in a long time? Depth.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
So 9-0-0 is the actual record for ROW?

Yes, although ROW streak is not an "official" record.

I won't make fun of the Leafs.Their shot total suggests that they're doing something right. IMO Babcock is teaching them well and they'll improve further by the end of the season, although not by enough to make the playoffs.

The leafs are a hard working team, no doubt about it and I would say they outworked us tonight.

They remind me of the Habs a few years back, hard working team but outgunned most often than not.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

That game against Vancouver doesn't look good from a law of averages standpoint.

One team has yet to win a home game out 5ish attempts, the other has yet to lose, period.

MagicalDeck

Mar 17, 2006
Was able to catch this game at work. Sloppy as hell but ill take the W. 9-0!

I think we should just enjoy the wins as they come. People don't seem to get that this is the second consecutive night the team is playing, so it was obvious that part of the reason we allowed so many shots is due to fatigue. Not to mention that toronto was showing up with their A game.

habsnacks

Nov 16, 2014
I think we should just enjoy the wins as they come. People don't seem to get that this is the second consecutive night the team is playing, so it was obvious that part of the reason we allowed so many shots is due to fatigue. Not to mention that toronto was showing up with their A game.

This is true. 50+ shots against a poor team seems a bit excessive even on the tail end of back-to-back nights, but hey, it's one off game, and we still won on our worst game of the season. :yo:

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Yes, but apparently, this is 1st time in six years in a regular season game. That's what HNIC reported. Caps was a play-off game, in which Halak was bloody unbelievable. I believe Caps got 54 shots. Still, even that was 5 years ago.

It's been awhile since the Habs gave up so many shots. The Leafs though were literally shooting from everywhere. Then sending 2 players to the net. There was a lot of traffic in and around Price. The Leafs just tried to create bounces and hoped for the best. They are not a skilled team.

They also outworked Montreal by a fair margin, but Habs are the more talented team that much was obvious.

I watched the whole game and couldn't believe the shot total. Yea they played better than the Habs but man it seems like 20 of their shots were basically throwing the puck on net and hoping. Habs like to actually control the puck and not waste it on a hail Mary shot.

Apr 28, 2010
Habsburglar ;)

f9iljb.jpg

:laugh: Perfect! I'm saving this one now for next time. ;)

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
I watched the whole game and couldn't believe the shot total. Yea they played better than the Habs but man it seems like 20 of their shots were basically throwing the puck on net and hoping. Habs like to actually control the puck and not waste it on a hail Mary shot.

I'd call it Corsi Farming Kings Style.

The problem with it is that you'll generate some weird bounces. They can go your way, or bounce far and create a very quick counterattack for your opponent, which leads to scoring changes or penalties. We saw that a lot today, especially with a guy like Price that can direct bounces very well.

However, the difference kinda shows that the leafs had the puck all night. That's not good, even if what they do with the puck is meh at best.

Plek said it best, "We're not happy with that one". Hopefully they don't get complacent because they are winning so much.

dzd ncnfzd

Aug 8, 2007
Habs used to win games like this all the time in the 70s. Drove teams insane.

This: "we" often used to be sloppy and pull through with a win due to talent and superior 'tending. Its not possible to play beautifully all the time especially when the opposition is always super motivated. I think its mental fatigue more than physical actually.

I would have put in a couple fresh legs and "minds" for this one because of this. Perhaps next game? Depends on the coach's philosophy I guess. I seem to remember Bowman cycling people in and out quite often, even after wins. Am I remembering right?

Adams Division Rules.....

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Ambush game coming off a road game the previous night against a team who always plays their best against us and wanted to come out hard. Personally I think it's the kind of win great teams gut out and win. We capitalized on our chances and did what had to for the win.

Vast majority of Toronto shots were from the perimeter and not dangerous. They looked more dangerous than they were basically because of two bad turnovers that cost us. For a tired team I think we played prett good.

Next stop. Vancouver.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Their play of late defensively and super high shooting% would suggest a shutout loss coming up in Vancouver. On the flip side, Price vs Nucks and this team always does the opposite of what's expected.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
McDonaugh > Petry. Kopitar > Galchenyuk and it's not even close lmao. We would be weaker in nets but we wouldn't need our goalie to be a God every night. It would be a different team.

Have you watched McDonough lately? I'm not so sure he's better than Petry anymore.

Also the Kopitar thing is dumb because the Habs weren't picking him. It was either Price or Marc Staal.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

We're not the only team in the league that plays back to back games. They don't all look like what we saw yesterday.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
We're not the only team in the league that plays back to back games. They don't all look like what we saw yesterday.

Back to back games significantly weaken a team. imo, no team should play another team the night after a game, unless that other team has also just played the night before.

It should be a rule.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Back to back games significantly weaken a team. imo, no team should play another team the night after a game, unless that other team has also just played the night before.

It should be a rule.

I've been saying this for years.

I remember years ago it seemed like we always played Toronto on Saturday night after playing Buffalo or NJ on a Friday night. It was incredibly frustrating cause we often went 0-2 on those weekends.

Davebo*

Also, a decent PP - we're now ranked 8th @ 22.9%. And I see signs that it might just improve. Our PK stays great as well. And our 5 on 5 play is decent, although we now need to work on limiting shots against.

Pretty damn amazing team

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm glad the team and coaching staff recognizes they've been slipping back into old habits the last few games. Sloppy play and excessive dump ins have been a problem. They need to refocus if they don't want another bad western Canada road trip.

The PP finally seems to be clicking though.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

It should be a rule.

I agree with this. Or make all back to backs home and home games.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
After the first loss, I expect byron or.tinordi or pateryn to be in as michel will never.fix.whats not.broken

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
We used to be on the other side of the fence. 15 years ago we always looked really good against the best teams but still lost. Moral victory and everything. After those games everything was positive. We were doing the playoffs cause we could look good against the best teams. And then boom we played another weak team and still lost and did not look good at all and then the dream was gone.

That's were the Laffs are right now. New coach. New management. New dreams. Everything is possible. They'll work hard but they'll still lose. And then one day maybe later this year maybe next year the novelty of Mike The Second Coming Babcock will wear off and this team will become the real Laffs again. Let's hope for them some kids will change that before it happens.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We used to be on the other side of the fence. 15 years ago we always looked really good against the best teams but still lost. Moral victory and everything. After those games everything was positive. We were doing the playoffs cause we could look good against the best teams. And then boom we played another weak team and still lost and did not look good at all and then the dream was gone.

That's were the Laffs are right now. New coach. New management. New dreams. Everything is possible. They'll work hard but they'll still lose. And then one day maybe later this year maybe next year the novelty of Mike The Second Coming Babcock will wear off and this team will become the real Laffs again. Let's hope for them some kids will change that before it happens.
Still can't figure out why Babcock took that job.

In the two games they've played us they've outplayed the crap out of us but they've got no talent on that roster. Why the hell would he go there? Just seems like a suicide mission to me. By they time they start to accumulate talent he'll get fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad