Laughs lose their SCF! Habs 9-0-0 Habs win 5-3

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
I don't see Babcock being fired at any point within the next three years, whatever happens. Not with the kind of commitment the organization made to him, and especially not with Shanahan sitting on top of it all.

The Leafs play hard, or at least are hard to play against. With as little talent as they have on that roster, I don't think anyone expects anything more than that from Babcock for now.

Next year, Marner and Nylander will probably get promoted. That alone should change the dynamic of the team - and they may also end up with Matthews or Chychrun this year.

Puljujarvi - My fav prospect in this draft

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Still can't figure out why Babcock took that job.

In the two games they've played us they've outplayed the crap out of us but they've got no talent on that roster. Why the hell would he go there? Just seems like a suicide mission to me. By they time they start to accumulate talent he'll get fired.

Did you watch the Leafs press conference after he was hired?

He have unlimited rope and a lot of weight in the decision making. As long Shanahan is around Babcock's job is safe.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Did you watch the Leafs press conference after he was hired?

He have unlimited rope and a lot of weight in the decision making. As long Shanahan is around Babcock's job is safe.
It always starts that way.

Wait three years. If that team is still out of the playoffs the natives will get restless. The honeymoon isn't going to last that long.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Was at the game and it really wasn't as bas as people seem to say here. Yes Toronto had lots of shots but it was mostly perimeter shots. They dominated for some time in the second but other than that we played well for a second game in two nights.

Very entertaining game to watch live.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Wait three years. If that team is still out of the playoffs the natives will get restless. The honeymoon isn't going to last that long.

The Leafs worse enemy is not the crowd/media, it's MLSE.

As long Shanny keep MLSE in line with the plan they are going to be Okay. The fans are going to be fine if the Leafs do a proper rebuild and not the same retooling BS like they were doing in the past 10 years.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
Semin hasn't been as bad as some are making him out to be, considering the kind of player we should have been expecting. However, I would like him better on our third line if we had someone to replace him on the second line.

Bergevin needs to trade for a bonafide top 6 forward.

posted this in another thread...I think the following could be a very good line (better than an already successful one)

Flash-DD-Semin

Unfortunately we have to slot someone in with Eller and Galchy...so Weise or DSP? Don't really want to bench either of those 2 guys in favour of a call up...so....

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

Wait until March-April when they have 20 wins, aren't selling out the ACC, and TV ratings are in the toilet. Going to be a long winter.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Semin is clearly the weakest link on that team. Galchenyuk is playing well enough, and his line plays more minutes than DD's, but they aren't producing more, mainly because of Semin. Eller is doing his best, but now I hope that his eternal lovers are seeing what many of us have seen for many years: despite playing good and being very useful, he will never be a clear cut offensive treat. Eller and Galchenyuk need someone who'll be able to score 20 goals without losing the puck or turning it over on a constant basis. I'm pretty sure Bergevin will find someone, if not before Christmas, then at the deadline. It doesn't have to be a "god". Just someone who plays the game well with respectable hands. I'm pretty sure Andrighetto would have been better than Semin as both Eller and Galchenyuk are big enough to carry a diminutive winger with them.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Semin made a couple bad turnovers that ended up in goals, but he made a few real good defensive plays and set up a couple sure goals that were posts or near misses.

I don't have a problem with Semin's game thus far.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Semin is clearly the weakest link on that team. Galchenyuk is playing well enough, and his line plays more minutes than DD's, but they aren't producing more, mainly because of Semin. Eller is doing his best, but now I hope that his eternal lovers are seeing what many of us have seen for many years: despite playing good and being very useful, he will never be a clear cut offensive treat. Eller and Galchenyuk need someone who'll be able to score 20 goals without losing the puck or turning it over on a constant basis. I'm pretty sure Bergevin will find someone, if not before Christmas, then at the deadline. It doesn't have to be a "god". Just someone who plays the game well with respectable hands. I'm pretty sure Andrighetto would have been better than Semin as both Eller and Galchenyuk are big enough to carry a diminutive winger with them.

Holy Mackeral Man,
Who ever said said Eller was a clear cut offensive treat?
WTF is a clear cut offensive treat anyways?
Do we have any clear cut offensive treats on this club?

Semin will get better with time and we need his talent quotient in this lineup.
I'm not convinced he is in great game shape. This team demands a higher fitness level than either the Ducks or Canes evidently. As for Sven he hasn't done anything to break into our top 6 and NO we can't support another shrimp. We only have the ONE line with some size across the board.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Friday and Saturday were the first games I've watched all season (I'm in Finland). It seems as though the team was playing better in the first 7 games than their last two. At least I hope they were. I thought 3 of our lines were working extremely well, and 2 of our pairings were as well. The ones that weren't working:

Eller - Galchenyuk - Semin
Beaulieu - Gilbert

The Galchenyuk line was garbage on Friday, and frustrating to watch on Saturday. The main problem seems to be that they rarely hit the O-zone with speed. This forces them to dump the puck in, and none of them are particularly great skaters, so they rarely get it back. When you give Galchenyuk possession in the O-zone, though, he can make something out of nothing, as he did against Toronto. I say leave them together for the next 10 games, as I think their problems are mostly tactical, and we need a confident Galchenyuk in the center position to go far in the playoffs.

That Beaulieu - Gilbert pairing, though. Good lord. Maybe it's just because the first two pairings are so strong that they looked so bad, but this is our soft underbelly, IMO.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Semin made a couple bad turnovers that ended up in goals, but he made a few real good defensive plays and set up a couple sure goals that were posts or near misses.

I don't have a problem with Semin's game thus far.
and we're 9-0-0, fer Chrissakes. I just don't get why some posters need to find something to be negative about.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
and we're 9-0-0, fer Chrissakes. I just don't get why some posters need to find something to be negative about.

You should have seen the Blue Jays GDT's (if you didn't). Texas or KC would score one run and people would screaming "game over fire gibbons trade tulo etc." #1 offense in the league down 1 run in the 1st and it's over.

People here are actually pretty damn calm compared to the nutters in those threads.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

It's just the nature of a hockey forum to discuss the good with the less than good. Doesn't make anyone less of a fan.

I'm totally enjoying the current run however totally appreciate how some feel the need for an adjustment of some sort in respect of Semin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad