Proposal: Latino Heritage Night

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
The Latin community doesn't need to be "shown respect" via a special hockey game night, if anything I find the idea kind of insulting. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of Latin influences like putting a Filibertos in jobing.com, add an awesome margarita stand or if there's ever a playoff game on Cinco de Mayo make a night of that but just creating a night that's basically "Hey, you're Mexican right? You should watch hockey" is just silly and embarrassing to all involved. Hockey is for everyone, let's just leave ethnicity out of it please!

It's not to single out Mexicans. It is for all Latin culture. I don't see why you are offended by something that celebrates a large part of the south western community.

Are you offended by Canada Fest? If there can be a whole event dedicated to snowbirds (only ones from Canada), then why can't there be one night themed to an actual influence of the southwest community?

Its not "Hey you are Mexican, you should watch hockey." Its hey you are apart of our community and we are celebrating what you bring to it."

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
It's not to single out Mexicans. It is for all Latin culture. I don't see why you are offended by something that celebrates a large part of the south western community.
Same, same, chicken, beef. "Hey, you're Hispanic, right? You should watch hockey!" :shakehead
Are you offended by Canada Fest? If there can be a whole event dedicated to snowbirds (only ones from Canada), then why can't there be one night themed to an actual influence of the southwest community?
I wasn't offended, but I thought it was dumb and I didn't go.
Its not "Hey you are Mexican, you should watch hockey." Its hey you are apart of our community and we are celebrating what you bring to it."
You are "a part" of our community. ;)

The underlined phrase may make sense to you, but there is a significant percentage of the population (including myself) that does not understand it. You're welcome to live here, just get a job and don't break the law ... your music kinda annoys me, but whatever, and if you open up a restaurant, I'll come get some once a month or so. Beyond that, you do your thing, I'll do mine, let me know if you need another player for some pickup soccer.

HUGE cultural differences between England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Russia and Sweden that America never feels compelled to celebrate, so why we single out Hispanic culture for special treatment doesn't make sense to me.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Same, same, chicken, beef. "Hey, you're Hispanic, right? You should watch hockey!" :shakehead

You are trying to compare apples to oranges. I am sorry you can't see it from a different perspective. Anything I say will not move you from your opinion and further discussions about celebrating Latin culture vs telling "Mexicans to watch hockey" is pointless.

I wasn't offended, but I thought it was dumb and I didn't go.You are "a part" of our community. ;)

So... are you offended by a Latin Heritage night or just think it is dumb? If you are offended, what about it offends you? Are you of Latin descent yourself or are you being offended for other people?

The underlined phrase may make sense to you, but there is a significant percentage of the population (including myself) that does not understand it. You're welcome to live here, just get a job and don't break the law ... your music kinda annoys me, but whatever, and if you open up a restaurant, I'll come get some once a month or so. Beyond that, you do your thing, I'll do mine, let me know if you need another player for some pickup soccer.

HUGE cultural differences between England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Russia and Sweden that America never feels compelled to celebrate, so why we single out Hispanic culture for special treatment doesn't make sense to me.

What percentage is that?

Also, I am not sure if know history or not but it is more than people of Latin descent living in Phoenix. At one time the entire south west was apart of Mexico. Including Arizona which has only been a state since 1912. Their culture is still very much apart of the south west. In case you have not noticed there are street names, city names and counties names that are Spanish. It would be ignorant to down play the Latin influence in the south western culture.

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It's not to single out Mexicans. It is for all Latin culture.
Oh c'mon, we both know that in AZ the vast majority of "latin" culture is by far Mexican.

I don't see why you are offended by something that celebrates a large part of the south western community.
Ok first off, I never said I was offended, you said that. I did say I think it's insulting but that's because of the ridiculously blatant pandering not because I'm personally offended.

No I'm not offended by Canada Fest but yes I do think it was an absolutely stupid idea and if I was Canadian I'd be embarrassed just thinking about it. Such a dumb ass idea!

Oh geez, this is just getting more awkward by the moment. Look I understand you're coming from a good place here, I just think it's misguided. Let's celebrate South Western culture as a whole and leave the ethnic group targeting out of it! I assure you the Latin community is no where near as insecure as you seem to think they are. lol

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Oh c'mon, we both know that in AZ the vast majority of "latin" culture is by far Mexican.

There are more than just Mexicans that live in Arizona and this wouldn't be a celebration of another nation. It would be for Latin culture. I am not sure why you are so hung up on it being Mexican. If you are going to argue it, call it for what it is and not what you are thinking it is.

Ok first off, I never said I was offended, you said that. I did say I think it's insulting but that's because of the ridiculously blatant pandering not because I'm personally offended.

You are right, you did not say it was offensive. How is this pandering? Its not offering half of to any one that looks Latino. Was the Kachina themed Coyote logo pandering to Native Americans? If I understand your view point, anything themed for or influenced from a select group in pandering.

Oh geez, this is just getting more awkward by the moment. Look I understand you're coming from a good place here, I just think it's misguided. Let's celebrate South Western culture as a whole and leave the ethnic group targeting out of it! I assure you the Latin community is no where near as insecure as you seem to think they are. lol

I don't think they are insecure at all and it was never said or suggested. Celebrating the whole south western culture is not a bad idea either but I don't think Latin Heritage or Latin culture night would be a bad idea. The Diamond Backs do it and so do the Suns.

Los Dbacks
Arizona Diamondbacks Hispanic Heritage Street Festival and Miguel Montero Bobblehead Day
Saturday, September 14, 2013. Join Los D-backs as they play the Colorado Rockies and recognize the fans, players and the Hispanic community. Festivities begin at 2 p.m. outside the stadium along the Plaza and 4th Street with food trucks, tailgate games, inflatables and more. 20,000 fans with tickets to the 5:10 p.m. game will receive a Miguel Montero bobblehead. Chase Field, Phoenix.

http://phoenix.about.com/od/events/a/HispanicHeritage.htm

Los Suns
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Suns-will-wear-Los-Suns-unis-to-honor-Phoenix-?urn=nba,238682

There is already a precedence and having a Latin Heritage night wouldn't be that big of a deal. Have a fiesta at he jobbing.com arena for one preseason game? Can't even stand to do that?:shakehead

Hope you don't feel more awkward after this moment.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
There are more than just Mexicans that live in Arizona and this wouldn't be a celebration of another nation. It would be for Latin culture. I am not sure why you are so hung up on it being Mexican. If you are going to argue it, call it for what it is and not what you are thinking it is.
I'm not hung up on it being Mexican, I'm just refuting you acting like "latin" night wouldn't be primarily targeting AZ's large Mexican community.

You are right, you did not say it was offensive. How is this pandering? Its not offering half of to any one that looks Latino. Was the Kachina themed Coyote logo pandering to Native Americans? If I understand your view point, anything themed for or influenced from a select group in pandering.
You don't see how sponsoring a night specifically setup to try and get brown people to come spend their money in your building is pandering?! Before you object to the brown people part, keep in mind one of your premises for Latin Night was based on your concern that there is a perception that hockey is only for white people.

If I understand your view point, anything themed for or influenced from a select group in pandering.
Then no you don't understand me...there is a big difference between say a St. Patty's Day theme and having Irish People Night.

I don't think they are insecure at all and it was never said or suggested. Celebrating the whole south western culture is not a bad idea either but I don't think Latin Heritage or Latin culture night would be a bad idea. The Diamond Backs do it and so do the Suns.
Expressing concerns that they think hockey is for white people and saying you want a night that let's them know they are appreciated and part of the community sure sounds like you think they're insecure to me. If I didn't know better I would think you were a white suburban housewife who desperately wants to prove that she's totally not racist. :p: (in case it's not obvious, that's a joke so don't get all offended)

There is already a precedence and having a Latin Heritage night wouldn't be that big of a deal. Have a fiesta at he jobbing.com arena for one preseason game? Can't even stand to do that?:shakehead
No it wouldn't be that big of deal at all, as you've already stated other teams do it too. Hell I'm sure there's probably kiss the ass of the Irish night in Boston as well. I also admittedly missed the part where you specifically mentioned doing it for a pre-season game though honestly if they did it preseason or regular season I wouldn't care much either way. I'd just merely cringe when hearing McConnel try to talk about how much he loves tacos. lol

Look I don't care that much either way if they had such a night or not, you asked for opinions so I was merely participating by giving you mine. I assume when you asked you weren't just hoping for a circle jerk. All I'm doing is trying to come from the perspective of how I'd feel if I were part of the targeted group and personally I would think it's kinda cheesy. I'm Scotch-Irish (whatever the hell that is) but I would still think having a Scottish and/or Irish Heritage Night would be silly, even if I lived in Boston.

btw...I should clarify that just because I think it's cheesy doesn't mean I wouldn't totally participate! haha In fact my vote is for carne asada burritos, margaritas and carnival dancers (since we're going Latin, not just Mexican)! Woot! :cheers:

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I'm not hung up on it being Mexican, I'm just refuting you acting like "latin" night wouldn't be primarily targeting AZ's large Mexican community.

Don't see how calling every latin mexican is refuting anything.

You don't see how sponsoring a night specifically setup to try and get brown people to come spend their money in your building is pandering?! Before you object to the brown people part, keep in mind one of your premises for Latin Night was based on your concern that there is a perception that hockey is only for white people.

You are assuming that every person with Latin heritage is brown. :facepalm:

Then no you don't understand me...there is a big difference between say a St. Patty's Day theme and having Irish People Night.

Well, yes because Saint Patrick wasn't Irish :)

Expressing concerns that they think hockey is for white people and saying you want a night that let's them know they are appreciated and part of the community sure sounds like you think they're insecure to me. If I didn't know better I would think you were a white suburban housewife who desperately wants to prove that she's totally not racist. :p: (in case it's not obvious, that's a joke so don't get all offended)

When did I express that? ..seems to me you are being facetious.

No it wouldn't be that big of deal at all, as you've already stated other teams do it too. Hell I'm sure there's probably kiss the ass of the Irish night in Boston as well. I also admittedly missed the part where you specifically mentioned doing it for a pre-season game though honestly if they did it preseason or regular season I wouldn't care much either way. I'd just merely cringe when hearing McConnel try to talk about how much he loves tacos. lol

Hearing McConnel, Nash and even Walsh talk about how much they love tacos would be pretty funny.

Look I don't care that much either way if they had such a night or not, you asked for opinions so I was merely participating by giving you mine. I assume when you asked you weren't just hoping for a circle jerk. All I'm doing is trying to come from the perspective of how I'd feel if I were part of the targeted group and personally I would think it's kinda cheesy. I'm Scotch-Irish (whatever the hell that is) but I would still think having a Scottish and/or Irish Heritage Night would be silly, even if I lived in Boston.

Your ancestors found love in war. Well I am of German heritage and think it would be fun to have an Oktoberfest night.

btw...I should clarify that just because I think it's cheesy doesn't mean I wouldn't totally participate! haha In fact my vote is for carne asada burritos, margaritas and carnival dancers (since we're going Latin, not just Mexican)! Woot! :cheers:

It would be nice to have flan or epanadas as well.

I am happy to think understand what you mean...So tell me if my summary is correct...

You would participate and have fun but think its dumb and that it is pandering.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
You are assuming that every person with Latin heritage is brown. :facepalm:
Obviously not everyone of Latin heritage is brown, c'mon! I'm referring to your comment in your very first post of this thread where you specifically point out that when talking to people you often find out that they think hockey is for white people. You then immediately throw out your idea for "Latin Heritage Night" as a means to fight this apparent misconception. So tell me how that doesn't sound like you're specifically wanting to target brown people? If not, then what was the reason for pointing out the apparent whiteness of hockey?

Well, yes because Saint Patrick wasn't Irish :)
That's irrelevant, you know full well that St. Patty's Day is celebrated as a predominately Irish holiday, you're just being pedantic.

Hearing McConnel, Nash and even Walsh talk about how much they love tacos would be pretty funny.
I concede you may have a point here.

Your ancestors found love in war. Well I am of German heritage and think it would be fun to have an Oktoberfest night.
I notice you said you'd like an Oktoberfest night, you didn't say you wanted a German Heritage Night. Oktoberfest would be cool, German Heritage Night would not.

It would be nice to have flan or epanadas as well.
I find the texture of flan disconcerting at times but empanadas are awesome!

So tell me if my summary is correct...

You would participate and have fun but think its dumb and that it is pandering.
Well to be fair I can participate and have fun doing just about anything but yes, that's probably the gist of it. I just think having nights dedicated to ones ethnicity is lame. Like I said above...Oktoberfest, awesome idea. German Heritage Night, lame idea. Celebrate the culture of the people not the fact that they happen to be born into said culture.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Obviously not everyone of Latin heritage is brown, c'mon! I'm referring to your comment in your very first post of this thread where you specifically point out that when talking to people you often find out that they think hockey is for white people. You then immediately throw out your idea for "Latin Heritage Night" as a means to fight this apparent misconception. So tell me how that doesn't sound like you're specifically wanting to target brown people? If not, then what was the reason for pointing out the apparent whiteness of hockey?

That's irrelevant, you know full well that St. Patty's Day is celebrated as a predominately Irish holiday, you're just being pedantic.

I concede you may have a point here.

I notice you said you'd like an Oktoberfest night, you didn't say you wanted a German Heritage Night. Oktoberfest would be cool, German Heritage Night would not.

I find the texture of flan disconcerting at times but empanadas are awesome!

Well to be fair I can participate and have fun doing just about anything but yes, that's probably the gist of it. I just think having nights dedicated to ones ethnicity is lame. Like I said above...Oktoberfest, awesome idea. German Heritage Night, lame idea. Celebrate the culture of the people not the fact that they happen to be born into said culture.

Ok...so how about Fiesta Night?

huhwhtfkr

Aug 21, 2010
I guess we're talking americano/gringo/disney mexican as opposed to further south than rocky pointe mexican? we could do w some authentico street tacos mmmmm:handclap:

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Authenticity will obviously be sacrificed for cost. It's about making money. Haha. Not losing it. :)

Even authentic tacos are cheap and easy to make. Whatever is not sold is donated anyways..so if they don't get their money now they will write it off come tax time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad