Proposal: Latino Heritage Night

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Living in Mexico I got hooked on Hockey. Very first game I saw on TV back then as a kid was when Kolanos got the penalty shot on Patrick Roy. I started following the team then because they had the name 'Coyotes.' This is how you also spell Coyotes in spanish so I liked that they had a "Spanish" sounding name.

With that nonsense being said.. Lol.

I would NOT be for a Latino Heritage Night, don't need it.

Saludos!
To this day I still I love your avatar!!!

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
They should start with a good Spanish speaking announcer on the radio that folks could listen to along with the telecast. Explain the game, go off when a goal is scored ala soccer and see where that leads.

There is an untapped market there and this team needs to be tapping.

They do this when the Cardinals score a touchdown on the Spanish-language commentary. I admittedly get a kick out of it.

Mr Pukhead

Where's my ambulance
Jan 18, 2011
They do this when the Cardinals score a touchdown on the Spanish-language commentary. I admittedly get a kick out of it.

It's infectious! The more over-the-top the better.

I also feel like soccer and hockey have enough similarity to make the transition easy for Spanish speakers.

Xander Sanders

Sep 21, 2007
Arizona
It's infectious! The more over-the-top the better.

I also feel like soccer and hockey have enough similarity to make the transition easy for Spanish speakers.

Yep, that's what made the transition easy for me. In the past few years I have gotten all my soccer/mexican friends to Hockey. A Spanish radio announcer would be cool!

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I grew up near the Canaveral National Seashore; the portion we went to we called Playalinda Beach... sometime in my 20s I found out what "playa linda" meant. (then I moved here, and there was a Table Mesa)

Xander Sanders

Sep 21, 2007
Arizona
jajaj esa suena mejor pero ella necesita sa ber mucho de hockey.

Eso será la parte más difícil... Encontrar una por aquí. ¿Crees que hay latinas en canada? LOL

El queso está viejo y pútrido. ¿Dónde está el sanitario?

"Linda" Can mean Cute, Pretty, Beautiful etc etc.. Sorry about the cheese.. haha

Now I know why I lose girls to guys like you.

:sarcasm: :laugh:

I grew up near the Canaveral National Seashore; the portion we went to we called Playalinda Beach... sometime in my 20s I found out what "playa linda" meant. (then I moved here, and there was a Table Mesa)

It's funny that it would be called Playalinda Beach. Playa means beach, so the place is called beautiful beach beach. Hehehe :)

Still no response from the owners on twitter.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Eso será la parte más difícil... Encontrar una por aquí. ¿Crees que hay latinas en canada? LOL

Hay muchas latinas en Canadá pero no sé si les gusta el hockey. :dunno:

In other news, I made these tonight:

67skuu.jpg

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Hay muchas latinas en Canadá pero no sé si les gusta el hockey. :dunno:

In other news, I made these tonight:

67skuu.jpg

This is fantastic.

I've been tempted many times to bring signs in French to the arena, but have always stopped short thinking that showing any signs of my francophone interest/heritage will be interpreted as being some kind of troll who wants us to relocate to Québec.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
^^ Next season when the Habs play here I promise I will hold some French signs. I'm sure one that says "But!" will get lots of strange looks.

But = goal in french

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
^^ Next season when the Habs play here I promise I will hold some French signs. I'm sure one that says "But!" will get lots of strange looks.

But = goal in french

I'll probably bring some RDS meme signs that no one will get except maybe the odd Habs fan watching on TV.

"Un dur... de dur!" (stupid saying in RDS commercials)

"Tir passe" (shot-pass)

"Un bon tir bas" (a good low shot)

"Un rebond bizarre" (a strange rebound)

Not that I expect anyone in this thread to get those either. Haha

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I don't think that would be a good idea. No latinos would come that normally don't. It wouldnt change anything.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't think that would be a good idea. No latinos would come that normally don't. It wouldnt change anything.

Yes but would there be tamales available? Perhaps during Christmas time? With margaritas?

If so, it's absolutely worth it.

Oh and we can't just honor the Mexicans. We'd need some Cuba Libres and plates of RopaVieja.

I'm an open minded guy. I can happily appreciate the culture of anybody's delicious food and booze.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
I live in Florida now but am still a huge Coyotes fan. I wish people in Arizona embraced the Latin community with the same fervor that you see in states like Florida, Texas and California. It surprises me that something like this would even be a topic of debate. Why wouldn't you want to show respect to the Latin community and lure more fans to the sport? If you think that the Latin community doesn't pay attention to something like this, you are mistaken. Hockey is considered a fringe sport in many American cities. The reality is if we want the Coyotes to be successful in Phoenix, we will need to recruit more fans. Nearly 1/3 of the population in metropolitan Phoenix is Hispanic.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The Latin community doesn't need to be "shown respect" via a special hockey game night, if anything I find the idea kind of insulting. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of Latin influences like putting a Filibertos in jobing.com, add an awesome margarita stand or if there's ever a playoff game on Cinco de Mayo make a night of that but just creating a night that's basically "Hey, you're Mexican right? You should watch hockey" is just silly and embarrassing to all involved. Hockey is for everyone, let's just leave ethnicity out of it please!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad