TV: Late Show - Letterman retiring May 20; Colbert debuting Sept 8 (post: 248)

Kyle Doobas*

norm_macdonald.jpg

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I thought you were a Fallon guy.

I am, but I grew up watching Letterman. The guy's a legend. A funny Letterman skit is usually way better than even Fallon. He just doesn't seem to have as many funny things as he used to.

I loved when he'd have Rupert walk around with an earpiece on and Letterman would be in a car telling him what to say. :laugh:

TBLightningFan

Apr 20, 2004
Tampa
CBS,
Please don't mess up Craig Ferguson...
Pretty Please

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Jerry Seinfeld would be the ideal replacement to cover a late-night TV show, IMO.

He has the look of a late night talk show host.
He seems well liked in the world of celebrity.
His jokes suck well enough for late night TV. :laugh: At least in my eyes anyway I don't find Seinfeld really funny.

Heard Seinfeld interviewed about doing a late night network show and he said he would never do one. He hates to, and will not, sit around and talk to "celebrities" that he cares nothing about and pretend to like movies or projects that they are pimping. He likes his current web show because he picks the guests and picks people he likes.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Jon Stewart would be my top choice, guy's pretty funny and would bring a lot to the Late Show. As to Letterman always liked him. His Top 10 lists where always good for a laugh.

BwayBshirt

Mar 31, 2004
My NY State of Mind
He has a good thing going on Comedy Central where his show regularly destroys Fallon and Letterman

Why would he leave

Oh there is not much reason for Stewart to, I agree...

...but CBS' pockets run deeper. If they threw enough $$$ at him, he might jump.

Besides of the potential "top choices" he makes too much sense compared to the rest.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Stewart has a better gig than Late Night

Conan would be only be fair

Norm would be great but is way too beaten down, out of shape, and lazy to do anything with mass appeal right now-- Have you seen his podcast lately? (maybe it's just a makeup thing)

Seinfeld has a great anti-late night talk show going

God, no more SNL alumnists please

I think Letterman is my favorite host of all time

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Sharpest wit in late night tv

The stuff he was doing/saying in the late 80's early 90's remains unsurpassed. For whatever reason though he's been a shadow of his former self for the better part of 20 years now.

I think age just caught up with him. I watched Letterman a lot on his original program. Much of his comedy came from having a youthful, rebellious energy. That's not an easy thing to keep going as you get older. My favorite bits usually involved him ripping on NBC, GE, etc, whoever their parent company was. Sometimes he's get pretty harsh, something you would never expect to see, and often very funny.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I would guess contracts would preclude his availability, but what about Dan Patrick?

Is Tina Fey too tied to Lorne Michaels?

Chris Rock?

Ricky Gervais? (I'm kinda intrigued by this.)

Ferguson and Conan, of course.

Ellen kills on her show and is right where she belongs, IMO.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I find it funny how around the web how others can even suggest Chelsea Handler could replace Letterman. She sucks real bad on E!

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I would guess contracts would preclude his availability, but what about Dan Patrick?

Is Tina Fey too tied to Lorne Michaels?

Chris Rock?

Ricky Gervais? (I'm kinda intrigued by this.)

Ferguson and Conan, of course.

Ellen kills on her show and is right where she belongs, IMO.

While you're absolutely right, it is an interesting thought. First late night female TV host.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That would be amazing. Letterman loves the guy too so he'd probably give him a ringing endorsement. Norm is too lazy to do it though.

Hahaha, yeah, I get the distinct feeling that his level of "Give A Crap" is low. I love his humor though, his recent standup on Netflix had me dying.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Stephen Colbert is a great choice

give_it_to_me_stephen_colbert.gif

Report: Stephen Colbert Top Choice To Replace David Letterman

Comedy Central comedian Stephen Colbert is the top choice to replace longtime late night host David Letterman in 2015, Mashable reported Friday.

The "Colbert Report" host "has indicated that he's willing to take over the Late Show when the time comes," according to people familiar with discussions. He would be leaving behind his "conservative" persona should he take the helm at CBS.

The network has also discussed the matter with with Colbert's Comedy Central colleague, Jon Stewart, according to the report.

edit: Mashable report:

Stephen Colbert Is CBS' Top Choice to Succeed Letterman, and He's Into It

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario

He would be leaving behind his "conservative" persona should he take the helm at CBS.

It's pretty obvious he plays a character on his show right now. Does anyone really know what he'd be like as himself, as a talk show host? Kind hope this isn't true, Id be cool with Jon Stewart though.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Colbert would be amazing.

Norm would be great too, but as was already been said, he is much too lazy.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
This announcement was about 16 years overdue. Letterman stopped being funny around the time he had that "gotta gum?" fixation. Now he's just a cranky old man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad