TV: Late Show - Letterman retiring May 20; Colbert debuting Sept 8 (post: 248)

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I'm watching some classic Letterman videos on YouTube. Does anyone remember the names of the two Indian guys that owned a shop (some kind of clothing or was it a furniture shop) down the street from the studio? I can't remember their names but they did funny bits with Letterman in the 90s and can't find them on YouTube.

Mujibar and Surijul. That store closed in 2003 or 04.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
Now that the Tonight Show has moved to New York,it does make some sense to have the CBS show back in California, which would be a point in Craig Ferguson's favour.

One name people have not mention but Dave and Regis have talked about this replacement. Dave and this replacement have talked about it, don't rule out Brian Williams from NBC News making the transition from anchorman to host.

Quite frankly, I'd be perfectly happy with either one of these guys.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Jerry Seinfeld would be the ideal replacement to cover a late-night TV show, IMO.

He has the look of a late night talk show host.
He seems well liked in the world of celebrity.
His jokes suck well enough for late night TV. :laugh: At least in my eyes anyway I don't find Seinfeld really funny.

Last edited:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Now that the Tonight Show has moved to New York,it does make some sense to have the CBS show back in California, which would be a point in Craig Ferguson's favour.

One name people have not mention but Dave and Regis have talked about this replacement. Dave and this replacement have talked about it, don't rule out Brian Williams from NBC News making the transition from anchorman to host.

Quite frankly, I'd be perfectly happy with either one of these guys.

A big reason why the Tonight Show was moved to New York is because of the tax breaks NBC got for the show. No way CBS is going to move the Late-Show to California without tax-breaks.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
louieididit.png
My mind immediately went to this as well :laugh:

"Hey Letterman!! I did it Letterman! Letterrrmmaaann!!! **** YOU!"

Incredible trilogy of episodes

Jacques Trap*

Sharpest wit in late night tv

The stuff he was doing/saying in the late 80's early 90's remains unsurpassed. For whatever reason though he's been a shadow of his former self for the better part of 20 years now.

Bobo420

Jun 13, 2007
Sad to see Letterman go even if he's past his prime, he's a living legend.

I think Conan will be on the short list, but personally I hope he stays on TBS, they seem to let him do whatever he wants and I love the show, CBS may hold him back a little.

I can't really see Craig Ferguson or Louis CK get it, my guess would have to be Jerry Seinfeld, I think he'd be a great fit for that format of show.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Dave likes Conan very much, was very supportive of him when Conan took his show after he left and of course during the Tonight show fiasco. I could see him supporting Conan as his successor as well. Now whether Conan would be willing to take the show back to New York again(I wish he would), is another matter. Conan turns 51 this year (if he isn't already) so I think he could do the show 10 years max.

Mr Atoz*

I loved Letterman for a long time. No one could ever touch Johnny Carson of course. But Letterman was great in the early days. The Late Night Monkey Cam is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen. The show would be going on, and every once in a while you'd see a chimpanzee casually roller skate by on a track wearing a helmet cam. Then after a while Letterman's show slowed down. And then it slowed some more but I still watched and liked him. But in 2008 he started using his show to campaign for Obama and I lost all interest and haven't watched it since. I don't really care much who follows him because I consider them all unwatchable. Conan seems like a nice guy but he's not funny. Leno desperately pretends to be a nice guy and he was never funny. I've seen a couple of minutes of Ferguson here and there and I just don't get it. Jimmy Kimmel is the only one I can actually say that I like but I'm so out of the habit of watching late night TV I never bother to see it.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Mujibar and Surijul. That store closed in 2003 or 04.

Thanks! I didn't think anyone would remember. Not many videos on YouTube of them. I did some research on them. I was wrong about a few things, was just going on memory. They are actually from Bangladesh, I assumed India. It was a souvenir shop, not clothing or furniture. And they weren't the owner, they just worked there.

In 2003, when K&L's Rock America closed due to an increase in rent, Letterman told the duo he would miss them, and he gave them each a dozen roses and a new vacuum cleaner as "parting gifts."[2]

Kind of sad.

sutlaf

Nov 16, 2011

I never watched him that much, maybe because I wasn't around when he made these kinda stuff. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad