TV: Last TV Show Episode You Watched and Rate It (Part I)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Watching an episode of Fantasy Island on T.V. - first time in decades. Hard to imagine this was considered cutting edge at and point in T.V. history.

Last edited:
Reactions: Babe Ruth

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Watching an episode of Fantasy Island on T.V. - first time in decades. Hard to imagine this was considered cutting edge at and point in T.V. history.
In a related vein, the Greatest American Hero is on Prime.

I remember it being a lot funnier and cuter, with a lot fewer shootouts. The FBI guy is a much bigger asshole and has a lot greater resistance to bullets than I recall.

What were we thinking in the 80's?

Reactions: ORRFForever

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I just watched the first episode of Brisco County Jr. again. Those people should be lashed for cancelling it after the first season.
8.5/10

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Outer Limits: Alien Shop (2001)

One of the last episodes of the rebooted '90s Outer Limits. An immoral, soon to be father, is given a wallet that can steal the contents of other people's wallets. But the heist comes at a cost, and with a choice. Very good episode. I rewatch about once a year..

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I've watched the first season of Homecoming. Good actors, nice pace, nice structure, it's overall a pretty good show, just not that interesting. Not sure yet if I'll watch season 2. Any opinion?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Wellington Paranormal, the Christmas episode.

Officers O'Leary and Minogue deal with a mystery vortex that opened up at someone's backyard barbecue and took all the meat, a dyslexic mall manager who booked children for a visit with Satan instead of Santa, a possessed doll that attacks a family, and a photocopier that connects to the barbecue vortex if you try to copy your ass. They had a busy Christmas.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Disney+ was added to my Hulu recently (& I couldn't cancel that add-on).. so I'm going thru some of their old animated series.
Found a good, late '90s Silver Surfer I'd never seen. Cool artwork, and nice little philosophic observations thru the first four episodes.
The skies, and planet landscapes remind me of the original He-man (in a good way).

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
lol this thread is still a thing?

-----------------------

Season finale of Wolf Like Me. Meh. Was okay, if predictable.

Gary and Mary are American ex-pats living in Adelaide. Gary's a widower with a young daughter, and neither are doing well emotionally. This changes when he meets Mary, another American ex-pat, and they hit it off instantly. She's beautiful, funny, and the family unit is just adorably sit-com quirky...but there's a hitch. Mary's a werewolf. Ruh-roh.

Meh. My wife was watching it for some reason.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
CBC evening news.

Apparently, our country has been taken over by ranting, conspiracy theory-spewing morons funded by dark money from US-based neofascists because we've all somehow forgotten how vaccines work.

0/10. Would not recommend.

Reactions: Pink Mist

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
I have my Hulu taping a weekly show called Real Virginia..
Basically a series that documents agriculture within the Commonwealth of Virginia. They usually show farming from a specific county each week. This week they showed some small farming & beekeeping in York County. And then each week seems like they have a cooking segment, with regional ingredients..

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Night Gallery (1969 - 1973)

ydMGCiLV4WQfoS8oBmhC0VWS8ek.jpg

To be fair, I'm still on season 2, but I'm struggling to get into this, it's off the mark for me, which is a shame, as I loved The Twilight Zone.

So far, the strongest episodes are those written by Rod Serling, but much like some of my least favorite episodes of TTZ, some my least favorite ones here are the ones where the characters are pining for their youth, their innocence, being a kid. (Walking Distance, A Stop at Willoughby, Static, Kick the Can). Sure, I like those episodes on some levels, but I feel that the pining for "simpler times" just gets a bit grating, I've tried to recapture by youth in some areas too, but nostalgia is a tough one, and you can't go back.

To which, something like They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar just doesn't capture me now, as much as I though it did years ago. Maybe because I'm closer in age (42) to the main character's age (48) in that episode, but in spite of the great performances by William Windom and Diane Baker, Windom's character just annoyed me by the end, with his constant reminiscing and struggling to move past things that happened nearly 20 years earlier. Let it go, man! Move on, in spite as difficult as it may be, otherwise the self-wallowing ughhhh.

TimRileysBarMarquee.webp

I don't know, maybe people did drink and smoke harder back then, and where candles burning at both ends, because Rod looked rough and died when he was ~50.

However, I think what else is missing the mark for me here, is that while episodes of TTZ were of the anthology type, Night Gallery does like 2-3 stories per episode, and some might be only a few minutes, which can feel rushed, but so can longer segments.

But I think what's missing for me, is that in the TTZ, they felt like real people, in unusual circumstances. Here, they feel like fictional caricatures, in fictional circumstances. I'm struggling to buy into some of the stories.

Also, I'm not getting the random vampire curios at all, and like TTZ, several episodes featuring Nazis in some way. Seems slightly out of place, given that this show was on at the end of the Vietnam War.

Some other episodes are just terrible to me, like Brenda or Whisper. Which is also too bad, as the acting is decent to good, but the plots are just awful.

I'm tending to like the more realistic episodes and disliking the more fantastic.

Another issue I'm having, is just how the discs are mastered, I can tell that they didn't figure to release them all as a set, but season by season, as some episodes are on season 1 discs as 'bonuses', and it screws the episode order all up for me.

HouseMarquee.webp

Joanna Pettit appeared in 4 episodes of the series and was quite beautiful in her prime. Her acting in the ones I've seen is pretty good as well.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Station Eleven (2021 miniseries)

Patrick Somerville (also a writer on season 2 & 3 of The Leftovers) adapts the 2014 novel by Emily St. John Mandel, about survivors of a deadly flu pandemic that wipes out 99.9% of the population. The first episode we meet Jeevan (Himesh Patel), who out of a concerned obligation, accompanies a young Kirsten (Matilta Lawler) as they try and get through the first day of the pandemic. The rest of the episodes introduce other characters along with Jeevan and Kirsten in 3 different time periods: before, Year 1, and Year 20 after the pandemic. I mentioned that Somerville also wrote episodes of the Leftovers, and you can notice a similar vibe and themes in Station Eleven. The episodes that covered the pre-pandemic or Year 1 story were the best of the ten episodes in the series; very character/POV focused and they could stand on their own well. Not a masterpiece of a show that the Leftovers was, but I would give it a recommendation.

4/5

Reactions: Martinez

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Anybody remember the short-lived series from 4-5 years ago, Ghosted. It was basically a funny version of the X-Files. I watched their single season on Hulu recently..
The first episodes were interesting and funny. The duo (it had 'Daryl' from The Office) were out in the field busting ghosts & aliens etc.. then the show took a stylistic turn. Moved indoors, added a lot of anonymous supporting cast and became more of an office setting. It still had some laughs, but almost completely abandoned the X-Files formula. My only guess is that it was already struggling in the ratings & tried a rework. But I liked their first episodes better.. they did return to it for their final episode. All things considered, I still rate it a better than average series.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Whole shows:

High Fidelity - Watched with the gf. I was really surprised to like this. Normally, we often end up watching the most boring and/or girly stuff, but this holds itself together pretty well (and well, Zoe Kravitz is absolutely gorgeous, so there's that). 7/10

Uncoupled
- Also watched with the gf. It's very short, so the fact that it gets repetitive pretty fast isn't too much of a problem. It thinks it's funnier than it is, but it's still watchable. 4/10

The Most Hated Man On the Internet
- As a documentary, it's pretty common, but it gets points for doing straight up portraits of a few very pathetic characters (that's actually kind of fascinating - the butthole girl and the moron's girlfriend almost triggered my willing suspension of disbelief) - too bad they make a point to demonize the most hated man and that they couldn't actually have him onboard, he looks like another special case. 4/10

I realize my rating system doesn't really work with shows - I can only think of a handful that would get 7s or higher - so you can read them as X/6 (which puts High Fidelity as something I'd rate really high, which I'm comfortable with).

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Watched the first episode of Paramount plus's rebooted Beavis & Butthead. It was pretty good. I think Judge has done a good job staying true to his characters, while integrating them in to current times (they have a flat screen TV now, roast YouTube videos instead of Mtv videos, etc). The episode was split in to two separate stories..

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Nothing like chiming in on a two year old post, but Fantasy Island was never considered anything close to cutting edge or anything like that. It was pretty much The Love Boat with a bit of a twist.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: reckoning

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
The Watcher on Netflix... I was wondering why nobody was talking about this... Now I know. It's made by pretty much the same squad that's responsible for the Dahmer series, and it's kind of a waste of time.

I guess there's some spoilers ahead. The premise is a lame-ass variation on the Lost Highway videotape: not proof that you're actually being watched, but letters of someone telling you they're watching. Ok. (Haneke already had recycled the Lynch idea in Caché, to glorious results). And then there's a "mystery" about the identity of the epistolarian, there's no horror, there's very very little suspense or tension,... I guess there's something about our efforts in trying to feel safe, but you can't feel anything but contempt for protagonists who invest in a multi-camera security system and not one of these clowns think of putting the mailbox in frame. The last episode, where you expect something to f*** up expectation, is just the lamest. The private investigator's resolution is just a long waste of your time, as you know from the very beginning that she's bullshiting, and you know why - the unreliable narrator, the lies told in images, and the daughter saying her mother wrote herself in the story could have been interesting had it come earlier and with more subtlety and purpose, but they just ruined their show's finale with that crap. 2/10

For the record, I'd give both Dahmer and the Dahmer tapes 3.5/10

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Leftovers: Season 1 - 2.5 (Good)

I thought I was going to be really won over by this based on what I was hearing about it, but while I liked it a fair bit and it's right up my alley, I did end up having some gripes and a bit of a compromised experience.

On the positive side, the way that themes of loss, grief and purpose are explored and symbolized is really well done. I feel like the show took every glaring flaw that LOST had and fixed it (it's thankfully not about making you wonder what's going on and stringing you along with cheap dramatic gimmicks, only to blind-side you with an unearned ambiguous ending that feels more like a last-minute cop-out than the more artful "not knowing the answers is the point" conclusion it was going for). I'm also endeared by its premise taking something generally dumb like the Thanos snap and exploring it in a more thoughtful way (maybe that's not where it came from, but it doesn't matter).

Norah Durst and Matt Jamison were by far my favorite characters and performances on the show, and I felt that their respective character-centered episodes were among the strongest and most compelling of the season as well.

However, certain things about the show kept dragging it back down and rubbing me the wrong way, keeping it from being something I gush about or fall in love with. Some characters and sub-plots I felt were downright bad (everything to do with Tommy and the Asian girl aside from the engaging performance by the cult leader, a lot of Jill's "being a teenager" moments, in particular those lame twins characters who felt like they were plucked straight from a much lesser show/movie, and I also didn't care for anything to do with Megan/Jill joining the Guilty Remnants-- They felt like uninteresting plot devices that existed solely to give exposition and get from point A to point B). I feel like the hunter guy's presence fizzled out in a really awkward way, too.

Finally, and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with this one because the consensus seems to be 100% the complete opposite, but I was kind of annoyed by how its main recurring piano theme kept being used in every dramatic moment. I recently saw a meme about how the theme makes everything better, but instead, I feel like it actively hurt pivotal scenes by making everything come across melodramatic, heavy-handed and hokey, almost as if it was a parody of itself. Made it difficult to fully buy into otherwise pretty well conceived and effective scenes.

I do still think it's significantly better than a lot of other acclaimed/beloved things, though (Squid Game, Westworld, Chernobyl, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, True Detective, etc).

Last edited:

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
The Leftovers: Season 1 - 2.5 or 3.0 (Good..... maybe Very Good?)

I thought I was going to be really won over by this based on what I was hearing about it, but while I liked it a fair bit and it's right up my alley, I did end up having some gripes and a bit of a compromised experience.

On the positive side, the way that themes of loss, grief and purpose are explored and symbolized is really well done. I feel like the show took every glaring flaw that LOST had and fixed it (it's thankfully not about making you wonder what's going on and stringing you along with cheap dramatic gimmicks, only to blind-side you with an unearned ambiguous ending that feels more like a last-minute cop-out than the more artful "not knowing the answers is the point" conclusion it was going for). I'm also endeared by its premise taking something generally dumb like the Thanos snap and exploring it in a more thoughtful way (maybe that's not where it came from, but it doesn't matter).

Norah Durst and Matt Jamison were by far my favorite characters and performances on the show, and I felt that their respective character-centered episodes were among the strongest and most compelling of the season as well.

However, certain things about the show kept dragging it back down and rubbing me the wrong way, keeping it from being something I gush about or fall in love with. Some characters and sub-plots I felt were downright bad (everything to do with Tommy and the Asian girl aside from the engaging performance by the cult leader, a lot of Jill's "being a teenager" moments, in particular those lame twins characters who felt like they were plucked straight from a much lesser show/movie, and I also didn't care for anything to do with Megan/Jill joining the Guilty Remnants-- They felt like uninteresting plot devices that existed solely to give exposition and get from point A to point B). I feel like the hunter guy's presence fizzled out in a really awkward way, too.

Finally, and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with this one because the consensus seems to be 100% the complete opposite, but I was kind of annoyed by how its main recurring piano theme kept being used in every dramatic moment. I recently saw a meme about how the theme makes everything better, but instead, I feel like it actively hurt pivotal scenes by making everything come across melodramatic, heavy-handed and hokey, almost as if it was a parody of itself. Made it difficult to fully buy into otherwise pretty well conceived and effective scenes.

I do still think it's significantly better than a lot of other acclaimed/beloved things, though (Squid Game, Westworld, Chernobyl, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, True Detective, etc).

I think the general consensus is that Season 1 was the weakest of the 3 seasons. There were only 28 episodes over the 3 seasons - If I was to rank the top 15 or 20, I think I would only put "Two Boats and a Helicopter" and "Guest" from season 1 on that list. If I was to guess, those would be your top 2 as well, as they were very POV-centric episodes for Matt and Nora.

The last 2 seasons, season 2 specifically, is where the show really leaned into it's strengths of the first season. There was no longer the original source material (Perrotta's book) to follow, so it allowed Lindelof and the other writers to be free and go into some really unique/interesting areas.

If you already think it's Good/Very Good after the first season, I'll be surprised if you don't think it's one of the best shows you've ever seen once you finish it.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Season 1 of the Leftovers had genuine mixed reviews at the time though I think some of its biggest fans will now stand by it. As a non-fan my suspicion would be the show's improved reviews in seasons 2/3 are 1/2 change in quality and 1/2 that it just became cooler for critics to like after Alan Sepinwall went out on a limb praising the show after the first season.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Two Boats and a Helicopter is the church one? If so, yeah, that and the Guest one stood out for me the most. Does the music usage improve, though? That little piano flourish playing in every single impactful scene gets so annoying after a while. If it persists, I feel like there's going to be a ceiling to the appeal for me, even if the writing improves.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
The Cave Churches of Cappadocia.

Got the Great Courses channel for a month (thru Amazon). And wanted to watch this episode from The World's Greatest Churches.
If you haven't ever seen the fairy chimneys & their cave churches.. it's almost otherworldly. They're huge stone cones & buttes that had living spaces & monasteries carved into 'em, by dissident Christians. It was a cool place to hide out. And I've read it's the most popular hot air ballooning spot in the world.. I guess because of how surreal the place looks.

This isn't a great episode, but it is cool subject matter.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Gethsemane-X-Files (8.4/10)
Season finale of Season Four of the X-Files. Mulder seems to have found irrefutable proof in the existence of aliens after finding a corpse frozen in perfect condition in the Yukon. But was this The Syndicate stringing Mulder along in a cleverly devised rouse? A terminal Scully ID's Mulder's body after an apparent suicide after Fox seemingly loses his faith in all he's been fighting for.

The X-Files mythos episodes are in retrospect kind of frustrating in that there is rarely any closure on any of the big questions or conspiracies. But of course, some would say that's the point. Reality is fluid and what was the "Plan" before is now ancient history as new information is revealed. Life's questions are almost mortally eternal. Even through nine seasons (plus two additional seasons later on and two movies) they do seem to keep things interesting that even on a second viewing it is still fairly riveting, high level television. The truth is out there somewhere.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad