Post-Game Talk: Last second win!

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Why can't more Wings games be that entertaining. Tommy Tats was great, maybe some time off did his injury a lil good.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
At least Mantha is awesome... kinda want to order a #39 jersey.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Same but I'm still worried he'll end up switching (not that I have any reason to believe he will)

Was thinking the same but...

His number in Juniors and GR was #8 and I think we all know Abby ain't going anywhere.

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
We should have won the first series. Second? No way

Also I told somebody the wings probably have a better record in February because we face harder teams. Idk if it was you or who :laugh:

This team has done that for the last couple years. If you play a bad team we play like crap if we play a good team we generally play well.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Was thinking the same but...

His number in Juniors and GR was #8 and I think we all know Abby ain't going anywhere.

Meh just wait a few years. Abby will retire. Mantha will be in his prime and if he doesn't switch then he never will.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Things I liked:
-Definitely was an exciting game

-Tomas Tatar and Gustav Nyquist. They both looked great. Why can't they be more consistent? Perhaps Blashill calling out Nyquist was a good thing. Tatar has looked much better in the last 20 games or so.

-Anthony Mantha. Best game in a while.

-Z. The guy is a beast. The dedication and passion he plays with is fun to watch. His compete level is off the charts, and while it seems as though many of our players take nights off, Z doesn't.

-A crazy bounce finally going our way.

Things I didn't like:
-Petr Mrazek. What has happened to him...?
-The refs. Disgusting display of officiating.
-AA's ice time.
-Getting 2 points. While winning is fun, losing right now will help us win more games in the long run. I want Liljegren. I would have loved to lose this one 6-5.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
No. I genuinely believe Z will essentially will the team into the playoffs.

I think the team has a good stretch coming up.

Also, TB is overrated. Always have been. Cannot believe I'm still the minority in believing we outplayed them the playoffs and they got the bounces... And the refs.

My memory of last year was dats getting his tooth knocked out and we had to kill a power play off because he roughed the tampa's stick with his face.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Things I liked:

-Tomas Tatar and Gustav Nyquist. They both looked great. Why can't they be more consistent? Perhaps Blashill calling out Nyquist was a good thing. Tatar has looked much better in the last 20 games or so.

-Z. The guy is a beast. The dedication and passion he plays with is fun to watch. His compete level is off the charts, and while it seems as though many of our players take nights off, Z doesn't.

Things I didn't like:
-AA's ice time.
-Getting 2 points. While winning is fun, losing right now will help us win more games in the long run. I want Liljegren. I would have loved to lose this one 6-5.

Sorry to burst your negative bubble, but we're not getting the number one overall pick.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Tonight was insane. There's no reason that a 24 year old with that much talent should lose his net like that if he's getting the proper support.

The guy who replaced him didn't help mrazek play calm at all. He actually encouraged aggressiveness if you look at how he played in Grand Rapids. Bedard helped mrazek play more calm and positional (also he still played aggressive but not like in gr) Not a coincidence that his vezina like caliber season was with him. Don't think he was ever a top goalie in the ahl (but we all know he would be the wings starter one day)

Ironically. Mrazek is worse off the change and Howard is better. After having a horrible year. I think management wanted and still wants howie to be number one

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
After having a horrible year. I think management wanted and still wants howie to be number one

No, Mrazek can't even catch pucks right now. I don't think his deteriorating play has anything to do with the new goalie coach.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don't compliment Tatar much, but he was a beast this game. He played to win, not to lose. I think it rubbed off on Nyquist a little too, because he had a decent game.

I though Glendenning and Sheahan were great together. Created some nice offense. Hardest working line gave the team some energy.

Why didn't AA dress this game? Did he decide to take the night off?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Also, TB is overrated. Always have been. Cannot believe I'm still the minority in believing we outplayed them the playoffs and they got the bounces... And the refs.

at this point the Wings would need to play at at minimum something like a 110-115 point pace the last 30+ games to realistically make the Playoffs

not happening

UNCUT

Oct 26, 2009

I actually also believe this. That we will put up a good stretch of games to end the season and squeeze into a playoffs position. I know the odds arent in our favour but **** that. We shouldnt accept losing games under any cirumstances and neither do Z or any pro player who is competitive. Z is team captain and should be able to rally up the troop enough for them to play up to their capabilites. Howard needs to come back and play big for the rest of the season tho. :handclap:

This team havent showed us their best yet and you all know it. :naughty:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
AA looked miserable on the bench. He'll be next to ask out if Blash stays.

Pretty good game, entertaining, awful goaltending as usual. Can Howie return soon?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I actually watched this one. Detroit looked very unimpressive first half of the game, particulary weak play there on the first Islander goal, was it Green? Well he and rest managed to rise after the first 40 fortunatly. Was that long possesion shift(s), that led to Helms goal that seem to put off the wind in the Islanders boat sails.

Z is slow but when he does get the puck he always make things happen in a good way.

Funny pinball goal in the end, lucky, but deserved.

Last edited:

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Things I liked:

Things I didn't like:
-AA's ice time.

AA at 7 minutes ice time is insane and really ridiculous.

That said, Sheahan at 12:00 in view of that is indescribable.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
My agenda is to experience quality hockey. This was close enough. :laugh: Have to give Detroit credit they played their guts out. Skated hard and through the 2nd and 3rd were everywhere on top of NY. Islanders had a good start, lot of shots and chances but we matched them with some decently skilled hockey for a change.

I can understand the intense dislike some have for Helm. Grrrrr. I guess his goal evened things out but he and Glendening (Abdelkader) have the worst hands ever.

What's up with Green? Guy causes a goal (like the 1st off a bobbled puck) at least once a game. Weird he never seems to start on time, then wakes up and has like 50 toe drags making opponents look like children. Funny player to figure out.

Nice to cheer for some goals, laughed when we got tied up and laughed again with the win. Reading the comments I've still got a smile on my face.

I've realized the last weeks my intentions and desires for the Wings to get better quickly are kind of a lost cause. In pro sports it takes years sometimes for complete failure or success to take shape. At least there will always be the top teams in the NHL to watch for.

Go Svede Vings!

The intense dislike for Helm and Glendening is justified and due to the way they are utilized by Blashill. He treats them, along with guys like Abby and Ericsson like they deserve the respect like the HOF type guys got. They don't. They're not PP guys, they're 3rd and 4th liners. AA can look the wrong way and he's on the bench for the rest of the game. Glendening can go half the season without a goal and play poor defensively and be at the top in terms of ice time be on the PP and get double shifted, while AA and Vanek (?) are sitting. The Wings have already wrecked the first wave of young players, and now they're on their way to doing it with this next crop. Blashill just has no idea what he's doing and it's reflecting in the on ice product. This win does nothing to change anything. As far a draft pick, who cares? They'll figure out a way to wreck him. Larkin looks suddenly average this year after a full season under his belt with Blashill. Mrazek even worse. It was hard not to feel the exasperation of Daren Eliot when describing his play and how poor his positioning is. He's lost out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad