Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
As it should be. No one wants to see dirty snow in movies. Stop being so cheap and clean that snow up before filming!

Why am I not surprised that I've never heard of either? I'll look up both. Thanks.

My favorite snow movie is probably Cliffhanger. Don't tell me that it's ridiculous and mindless. It has lots of snow in it... and Sylvester Stallone. What more could you want (besides Liam Neeson)?
McCabe and Mrs. Miller is the "must-see" of the two. Maybe the best Western ever made, certainly in my opinion.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Io

with barely anyone

Near future, total environmental collapse. Most of humanity has fled to a base orbiting Io to harvest its geothermal energy to power a ship for Alpha Centauri. Yeah, that sentence makes total sense. Sam, twenty-something daughter of a Doctor sticks around on Earth, atv-ing to the ruins of a city to gather specimens of various bugs to see if the place is becoming less toxic and then living in country biodome/farmhouse/observatory deal that's located in one of the few remaining pockets of oxygen. She tends a greenhouse and tries to breed a species of bee that can adapt to Earth's new crapsack status. One day, a black guy floats down in a helium balloon and they have to make one of the last shuttles off-world. They talk about stuff and eat veggies.

Another snorefest from Netflix's movie department. Bottle show with two characters being depressed that their planet is essentially dead. Occasional scientific mumbo jumbo and philosophical blathering.

Watch this one before bed so you don't have trouble sleeping.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
An odd mix of viewing in my last day or two ...

Gone with the Pope. I don’t know the full backstory, but writer/director/star Duke Mitchell apparently was a nightclub singer and part-time actor. He dabbled in filmmaking too. This was his “undiscovered” (?) “masterpiece,” shot in the 1970s and finally released in 2010 long after his death. I may have some details wrong. That’s ok though because this isn’t a film with much focus on the details. It is, of that “so bad it’s good” realm. Paul is a con, fresh out of jail after a decade. He takes a job to kill seven men in one day to facilitate his the freeing of his buddies. That leads to a crackpot plan to to kidnap the Pope and charge all the Catholics in the world $1 for his return. Choppy filmmaking (there’s a whole prison sequence out of focus) and it feels like there’s about four movies stuffed into its 80 minutes or so. It sounds more action packed than it really is. The Pope plot comes out of nowhere about 40 minutes in. Stiff acting. Mitchell’s the best of the lot, which isn’t saying much. It’s trashy at times and takes a really ridiculously earnest turn toward the end that definitely doesn’t play like the filmmaker hopes. ... Needless to say, it was delightful, if you like such foolish ventures like this. Do yourself a favor and at least look up the trailer.

Hard Ticket to Hawaii. More from the so-bad-it’s-good world. A brainless 1980s beefcake and cheesecake buffet openly aiming for Americanized James Bond shenanigans (of the Roger Moore vintage) and falling far, far short. But it has its charms if you like such things like say, a deadly snake “contaminated” with poisonous cancer, gratuitous use of bazooka, random martial arts (it WAS the 80s) and one-liners that even Schwarzenegger would have rejected. It is also, let’s say, very appreciative of the female form. And, spoiler alert, a bad guy is hit with a car and as he flies through the air, is shot by a bazooka. Can’t say I’ve ever seen that before.

Roma. I feel bad that I probably will write more about the two bad movies I watched this weekend than this one. Alfonso Cuaron remains one of my favorite filmmakers. It’s a beautiful film with a neo-realist heart filtered through Cuaron’s glossy professionalism. I appreciate the ability to keep the focus no the main character while he world builds at the edges. Though by no means a thriller, there are a few gripping, tense sequences that a lesser filmmaker wouldn’t be able to pull off in a similar film. Plays a bit like a greatest hits for Cuaron too — there’s a direct reference to Marooned, a 1960s film that inspired his Gravity, there’s a climactic and revelatory beach visit a la Y Tu Mama Tambien, there’s the ground-level street revolutionary street violence of Children of Men.

Fyre. The Netflix one, not the Hulu one. A pretty compelling telling of the Frye Festival debacle and the deluded douchebag at the center of it (as well as a few other shady ventures). An entertaining watch.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
...there’s a direct reference to Marooned, a 1960s film that inspired his Gravity...

I watched that film for the first time a few years ago. It was really spooky how similar it was to the Apollo 13 incident... which hadn't happened yet. Seriously, it's a film about three astronauts who are marooned in their space capsule and slowly losing all of their oxygen that was released a mere 6 months before that very thing happened in real life. I had a weird feeling through the majority of the film.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I watched that film for the first time a few years ago. It was really spooky how similar it was to the Apollo 13 incident... which hadn't happened yet. Seriously, it's a film about three astronauts who are marooned in their space capsule and slowly losing all of their oxygen that was released a mere 6 months before that very thing happened in real life. I had a weird feeling through the majority of the film.

That's wild. Will check it out.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Escape Room [2019] :

There isn't much originality left in the horror genre. Everything has been done to death. Escape Room is no different.

Six strangers who cheated death (Final Destination), get lured into a series of rooms where they survive by solving puzzles set up by the Gamemaster (Saw). One by one, they get killed (Scream), all to entertain the rich and powerful (Hostile).

While I could have done without all the swearing, Escape Room, to its credit, manages to avoid the blood and guts you usually get in this type of movie.

While not scary, Escape Room is somewhat intense, and not terrible - as long as you check your brain at the (trap) door.

Expect a sequel.

6/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Manhattan (1979) - I've watched a ton of Woody Allen movies but somehow have always managed to avoid a bunch of the really big ones, like Manhattan. I liked it a lot, but similarly to Annie Hall, whenever I watch Allen's romantic comedies, I often find myself longing for one of his more absurd film. Manhattan is a beautifully shot film and perfectly paced, and maybe the movie that best exemplifies the elegant side of New York City, but I thought it took me a little while to settle into the film, and sometimes found myself rather annoyed by it, particularly in the beginning. The movie has some extremely rewarding comedic set-ups and Allen truly is a world-class comic. But I did find the film a bit too self-satisfied. Still, it was very good. But absurd Woody Allen (Bananas, Love and Death, Zelig, Deconstructing Harry) is the best Woody Allen.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Manhattan (1979) - I've watched a ton of Woody Allen movies but somehow have always managed to avoid a bunch of the really big ones, like Manhattan. I liked it a lot, but similarly to Annie Hall, whenever I watch Allen's romantic comedies, I often find myself longing for one of his more absurd film. Manhattan is a beautifully shot film and perfectly paced, and maybe the movie that best exemplifies the elegant side of New York City, but I thought it took me a little while to settle into the film, and sometimes found myself rather annoyed by it, particularly in the beginning. The movie has some extremely rewarding comedic set-ups and Allen truly is a world-class comic. But I did find the film a bit too self-satisfied. Still, it was very good. But absurd Woody Allen (Bananas, Love and Death, Zelig, Deconstructing Harry) is the best Woody Allen.
Manhattan is Allen's masterpiece.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm partial to Zelig. Don't get more wrong, I like Manhattan a lot, but I find the more absurd works to feel a lot more creative and chugging along with more steam. They're dashing films.
I find the more absurd works dated.

Manhattan provides the perfect blend of comedy, romance and pathos.

Other Allen Masterpieces : Crimes and Misdemeanors, Hannah And Her Sisters.

Honourable Mentions : Annie Hall and Match Point.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I find the more absurd works dated.

Manhattan provides the perfect blend of comedy, romance and pathos.

Other Allen Masterpieces : Crimes and Misdemeanors, Hannah And Her Sisters.

Honourable Mentions : Annie Hall and Match Point.

That's interesting. What do you find dated about them? They feel pretty universal to me, especially in their themes.

And yeah, I still haven't seen Hannah and her Sisters or Crime and Misdemeanors. I should get on that. :laugh:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That's interesting. What do you find dated about them?
Just the humour itself. Very 1960's-ish. Slapstick. Corny. Alan making faces. Some of it is (very) clever but some of it is embarrassing.

I don't find Monty Python funny, either.

It's just not for me.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Well, I got the Best Foreign Film Oscar list completely right. I hope someone took advantage of that for their Bingo list.
:laugh:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I'm partial to Zelig. Don't get more wrong, I like Manhattan a lot, but I find the more absurd works to feel a lot more creative and chugging along with more steam. They're dashing films.

Manhattan is a great film, Zelig is a chef-d'oeuvre.

As for the other films mentionned, Hannah is amazing, possibly his second best film (that or Annie Hall). Crimes, to me, is overrated. I'm a big fan of Stardust Memories too.

Reactions: Amerika

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Scrubs Season 10, My Deathgame

J.D's whimsical shenanigans and general dipsh!t deportment finally drive Dr. Cox over the edge, sending him into a psychotic fantasy recreation of Sacred Heart in which the PA cheerfully informs the doctors they now have 30 minutes to kill 3 coworkers or he will kill 6 on his own by detonating company issued trackers implanted at the base of every employee's skull. Oh, and it's not a hospital, it's your nondescript office building in Bogota, Columbia. Gratuitous violence, realistic gore and psychological distress ensue.

I should mention: I watched this at a bar, getting comped drinks from the bartender because God knows why (I'm not a regular) and alternating between this and trying to get the high score on Galaga (which I did: the trick is to get double blasters by letting the ship be abducted, then sitting in center screen and blasting ships as they cut through the middle, so much like a rookie wide out unaware his CTE diagnosis in 15 years will stem from the soon-to-be-realized hammering Vontaze Burfect is about to introduce to his slant route).

But despite no sound (this film uses music A LOT, I read), oh my God was it an intense ride into the bleakness of the human condition. God-PA, not content with 3 deaths, perforce decrees they must now kill 30 to save 60: 5 minutes later the executives team up and rationalize that the drones need to die. The executives range from extremely recalcitrant to obvious psychopath; head executive Bob Kelso is more the former (Cox doesn't show much distress, but doesn't exult in the slaughter either, like a man digging up a particularly obstinate root), but it also didn't take long to jump to executioner. And the film slowly and awfully builds up to that point with some great cinematography and little character bits, it doesn't just round everyone up and bang bang bang.

Watching that horrific, heart pounding, awful, amazing scene made me think, what would I do? As Kelso picks drones at random while Cox and Ted force them to line up, kneel down, hands-on-head you-know-whats-about-to-happen...how would I react? The executives rationalized their atrocity, but the drones just took it and went with it. They outnumbered the executives 10-1 in this scene (albeit, the executives had guns, the drones had their fists), but they were too afraid. Would I do that? Would I numbly go along until the time came for Kelso to blow my brains out and- -------------- The narcissist in me says I would stare Kelso in the eye and demand he shoot me then and there and ----------- but that's absurd and blatantly untrue. Would I say "Screw it" and throw a punch? Or would I go along with it, like a good little sheep? Or (deep, deep down), would I be on team executive, rationalizing what I'm about to do, that my personal path of shuffling dully to oblivion is sooooo-o-o-o much more sacred than these losers?

I hope I never have to know.

Anyway, after that it descends into a full on melee, which got a kinda excessive.

So what is James Gunn trying to say here? Like Battle Royal (the deathgame genre defining film) before it, there's obvious social commentary. BR critiqued the hyper competitive, soul crushing Japanese school system. The school kids forced to fight and die are provided with weapons picked at random- the main character gets a saucepan lid, the picked on loser gets an axe- while "transfer students"- former victors of the Royale- are given AK's. Here, the executives are realistic, self-serving, egotistical and above all rationalizing of their behavior as "for the good of all" (while they line up the drones for execution). The drones, at first, refuse to take a life (indeed, iirc literally all but the final kill are executive-on-drone) and generally work toward different solutions while refusing to participate in this awful game. It takes the death of J.D's tinder date at the hands of Kelso before he finally fights back (and it's self-defense, Kelso attacks him first). Easy to see a critique of corporate dog-eat-dog culture, of executives fast and willing to abandon the happy family schtick when it comes for their own advancement, of drones staying where they are because of their camaraderie and morals. The final fight has Kelso attempt to strangle JD while the Sacred Heart mission statement recording plays over head- cheesy, but effective.

Or is it that, when push comes to shove we'll all murder each other, friends and cooperation be damned, at the drop of a hat while using whatever reasons necessary to rationalize it? It's a bleak interpretation, if Lord of the Flies was what happens when the constraints of civilized life are lifted, and Battle Royale is what happens when civilized life itself is sick and wrong, then this is saying that "civilized life" really doesn't matter, at the end of the day if our ship hits an iceberg there are a group of people who will murder everyone else to ensure a lifeboat to themselves. I don't agree with that, but I also don't want to, which calls the former into question.

Or did James Gunn see The Hunger Games and realize, "Hold on, did they just turn a deathgame in which an authoritarian regime forces children to die for the amusement of the rich into a teenage power fantasy??!?". Hey kids, this is what trying to murder everyone around you *really* looks like.

the ending
The ending fits into critique-of-corporate culture theory. J.D. "wins", and walks out, blood stained and dazed, staring into the sky as if to say, "Why....?". It pans to a closed circuit security TV, which pans out to show a similar scene playing out elsewhere, exponential as the camera tracks back to reveal dozens of similar tvs, of blood stained, battered men (and women? I didn't notice) staring into the camera. An offscreen voice says, "Stage 1 complete, proceed to Stage 2...".

The advancement never stops. They are always watching, judging your performance. If this is a corporate metaphor, then death=getting fired, and in this case, you either keep advancing, abandoning your morals to do increasingly ugly things, or you quit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Well... The Most Dangerous Game? The 10th Victim? ... You can't go wrong with The Running Man, but Hard Target 2 might be a tad overrated. ;-)

Fair. Isn't BR is the first "melee" type, ie put a bunch of people in an enclosed area with some weapons and say, "Ok, only one of you is getting out alive"? I know it inspired The Hunger Games and The Belko Experiment.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Fair. Isn't BR is the first "melee" type, ie put a bunch of people in an enclosed area with some weapons and say, "Ok, only one of you is getting out alive"? I know it inspired The Hunger Games and The Belko Experiment.

I really couldn't say. There must be a gladiator or ninja competition somewhere in an old film that would match these criterias. If I remember correctly, the contestants in Gymkata are free to go against one another too... (if you haven't seen this one, you HAVE TO - you'll laugh your ass out - and the village of crazies sequence is pretty good still, even if the gymnastic equipment popping out everywhere is completely absurd)...

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Borg vs McEnroe (2017) by Janus Metz Pedersen – 6.5

Since this is a sports forum I thought I could review a sports person biopic. This film was okay, but I think it dragged out too much. And, in the end (in the 5th set) it also dragged out with slow motions, close ups and classical music, which felt a bit cheap and, yes, slow.

The screenplay is apparently written by a tabloid journalist. It wasn't that bad though, but on the other hand it's a pretty simple story arc that writes itself for the most part.

I liked that Borg's real son plays him as a youngster (aged 11), but then some other guy who looks totally different shows up at age 15. Okay.

I'm a Swede but I have no personal feelings or memories when it comes to Borg because I was born the same year he lost in the Wimbledon finals to McEnroe. Apparently he was a big thing back then though.

When you see this film you understand why Borg retired at 26. He appears to suffer from clinical depression. His wife Mariana also looks like a depressed/worn out 40-year old nurse, despite being 23 at the time (in 1980).

The most interesting part of the film for me, who isn't that interested in tennis, was when Vitas Gerulaitis (Robert Emms) described Borg's OCD and superstitious traits to 5 year younger up-and-coming World No. 1 John McEnroe. More scenes like that probably could have balanced it out a bit better, me thinks.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
The Master (2012)

I'm not sure what I just watched. Nicely shot. Good performances I guess. Other than that....???

4/10

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
A Simple Favor (2018) - 7.5/10

Surprisingly fun. Don't get me wrong, it's plot-holed and over the top and a bit stupid. It has a tonne of bad budget acting outside of Blake Lively (Anna Kendrick just acts as herself basically) which is weird considering the production value. But think of it as Gone Girl-lite and it's a good film.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A Simple Favor (2018) - 7.5/10

Surprisingly fun. Don't get me wrong, it's plot-holed and over the top and a bit stupid. It has a tonne of bad budget acting outside of Blake Lively (Anna Kendrick just acts as herself basically) which is weird considering the production value. But think of it as Gone Girl-lite and it's a good film.
I really enjoyed it as well. I was shocked that it was a comedy. To her credit, Anna Kendrick is very good at playing... well... Anna Kendrick.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad