Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
One that won't see a sequel is Mile 22 with Mark Wahlberg. The ending is open and inconclusive. The studio did that on purpose I think hoping to turn this into a franchise. One of the evil characters (trying to avoid spoilers) gets away and the star will want revenge and get the 'bastard'. But the film cost 50 million to produce and only made 66 million at the box office, not covering costs (film distributor only gets around 50% of theatre ticket sales), so I doubt a sequel is in the offing. The film is edited like a Bourne flick (but not as good), and it's not as good as this year's Mission Impossible Fallout but I won't dump on it, it's still a fairly good action thriller (although missing a better storyline). I still recommend it, a good mindless shoot-em up double agent movie.

Mile 22 is salvageable if not particularly good, until the editing is factored in. I was brought to laughter by the editing, it was hard to believe what I was watching.

I used the AMC pass thing to see it on opening day a few months ago. Was glad I didn't pay a thing.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Mile 22 is salvageable if not particularly good, until the editing is factored in. I was brought to laughter by the editing, it was hard to believe what I was watching.

I used the AMC pass thing to see it on opening day a few months ago. Was glad I didn't pay a thing.
Yeah, I think they were trying to imitate Doug Liman or Paul Greengrass style editing in an action flick but missed the mark. I think Mark Wahlberg picks up roles Matt Damon turns down. It's not a good A-movie but a good B-movie, if that makes sense.

They try to complicate the movie as a puzzle but when you break it down, both main characters are super-agents with neurotic issues, one uses a plastic rubber band to calm himself down and the other uses a finger tapping meditation technique. The movie sets up for a final showdown sequel between the two to see who is the best and fastest draw in the West. There might not be a sequel. I didn't really mind the mindlessness so much, I just went for the 22 mile ride. It was ok

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was decidedly unimpressed with Bridge of Spies, which is surprising because I certainly don't have anything against Steven Spielberg or the Coen brothers.

Perhaps that's because you were expecting to be impressed, which is completely understandable, given their experience and track record, but also hard for either of them to do anymore for the same reason. Would we have been more impressed if the same film had come from an up-and-coming director and rookie writer, and, if so, is that fair?

I, personally, appreciate "safe" as long as it's executed really well. I don't think that it should be a bad word. Every film doesn't need to be risky or edgy, IMO. Especially with historical films, I don't want the ambition or creativity of the filmmakers to overshadow the telling of a true story. For example, Tarantino's writing and directing may've suited Inglorious Basterds, since it told an alternate history, but I don't think that it would've been appropriate for Bridge of Spies. Spielberg's direction, on the other hand, suited it perfectly, but is seen as "safe" for that same reason.

What is "safe," really? Is it an actual measure of a film or a measure of our expectations? In other words, are we saying more about the film or more about what we expected to get from it? Personally, when I get what I expected from a film, I'm not disappointed, but I can see how others might be disappointed that their expectations weren't exceeded. Different strokes for different folks.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
If I had to chose, I think the first and last stories were my favorite, The last reminded me a bit of The Hateful Eight. After that it was the prospector story.

All that movie did was make me want to watch Hateful Eight. A real movie. Singing in the first part was annoying. Movie was a 5/10 for me. Made me fall asleep too.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Roma, in my opinion the best movie of the year and among the best of the century, opens in Toronto at Bell Lightbox today. Though it will be eventually coming to Netflix, Roma's power as well as its beautiful black-and-white cinematography are best suited to a big screen. Its worth the bucks to pick it up in a movie theatre.

Just got out. Absolutely incredible. How Cueron is able to take the absolutely anxiety and dread of Gravity and apply the same thing to a family oriented drama is stunning. Don’t recall the last time I was that tense during a film,

Reactions: kihei

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Lizzie [2018] :

Based on the 1984 novel of the same name, Chloë Sevigny plays Lizzie Borden and Kristen Stewart plays Bridget Sullivan - the book's author (Ed McBain) believed the two women conspired to kill Lizzie Borden's father and step mother. Unfortunately, while the movie is relatively well done, the tension is minimal and there are no scares to speak of.

Chloë Sevigny is very good in the lead, while Kristen Stewart's performance is odd / off putting / at times annoying.

Lizzie fails to live up to its potential and falls flat.
6/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Just got out. Absolutely incredible. How Cueron is able to take the absolutely anxiety and dread of Gravity and apply the same thing to a family oriented drama is stunning. Don’t recall the last time I was that tense during a film,
I saw it last night as well. So many moments that just had me stunned in my seat. I was actually a little reserved at the start, but once I figured out what Cuaron was going for, I was hooked.

Funny enough, it was the "dad in car" scene that sold the movie for me.

Reactions: BonMorrison

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
It upsets me that not more people will get to experience Roma in theatres.
I wonder what Netflix is up to. Roma wasn't distributed in theatres properly IMHO. They got in an argument with the Cannes Festival and pulled their films and won in Venice. I think maybe they just distributed some films to select theatres in order to officially qualify as a 'film' for award purposes. The bigger play here might be to get some rep and chalk up a few awards for their own Netflix brand, they want credit for producing quality content (not maximize revenue for a specific film but maximize rep for the brand). I might be wrong, but if so, it might be some strategy along those lines anyway,

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
A Scanner Darkly (2006) - 7/10

Better and more cohesive than Linklater's other digitally animated film Walking Life just because it has an actual story. It is confusing though and the story makes sense later on in an ending which is quite abrupt and left me a bit cold. Keanu's voice acting can be pretty bad at times but it generally works well here however Harrelson, Downie Jr., and Winona Ryder are also in the film and give it more flavour. Just a weird mix of a stoner-talkative-philosophy film and a story where the story is relegated more to the background but suddenly brought up in spurts to move the plot forward. I definetely think it feels a bit unnatural for Linklater to make this sort of film, he's at his best when he isn't as tied to a plot.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Instant Family
2.65 out of 4stars

Going in with no expectations, it more than met them. A small scale roller coaster ride of emotions, as you'd expect from a decent family focused comedy/drama. Charming and full of heart, albeit with some but not a lot of introspective material, but more than you'd expect from one with this plot and "big name" actors. Displays family life with minimal sugarcoating through a good story angle. I'd recommend it to be seen with a family member.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Kihei hasn't posted his top ten list in awhile. I don't know if that had something to do with the elbow injury he suffered earlier (hope you are doing better) or the rash of bad films he ran into that didn't necessitate more updates. Last call he had:

Roma, Cuaron, Mexico
Ash Is the Purest White, Jia, China
The Image Book, Godard, France
On the Beach at Night Alone, Hong, South Korea
The Cakemaker, Grazier, Israel
Burning, Hank, South Korea
Cold War, Pawlikowski, Poland
Donbass, Loznitsa, Ukraine
November, Sarnet, Estonia
1945, Toroc, Hungary

Of those I'd be interested in (from his reviews) Roma, The Cakemaker, Cold War for sure. Roma will be accessible soon. I saw Burning in that list. If others don't appear soon at a theatre near me or DVD, I'm gonna have to go pirate I think. The film Western is not on that list but Kihei's review piqued my interest too for some reason.

I saw BlackKklansman, Upgrade and Annhilation that used to be in that top ten but it dropped below over time. I liked all three except Annhilation a bit less. I still see it on top 20 lists everywhere, so I understand people loved it (more than me. I just thought it was ok).

The other one I don't understand is Mandy with Nicholas Cage. I haven't seen it but don't really want to, but there it is, in many magazine top ten lists.

I'd have to add Searching in my top ten this year and I don't see it on most lists. That would be my off the radar pick for the year, personally.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kihei hasn't posted his top ten list in awhile. I don't know if that had something to do with the elbow injury he suffered earlier (hope you are doing better) or the rash of bad films he ran into that didn't necessitate more updates. Last call he had:

Roma, Cuaron, Mexico
Ash Is the Purest White, Jia, China
The Image Book, Godard, France
On the Beach at Night Alone, Hong, South Korea
The Cakemaker, Grazier, Israel
Burning, Hank, South Korea
Cold War, Pawlikowski, Poland
Donbass, Loznitsa, Ukraine
November, Sarnet, Estonia
1945, Toroc, Hungary

Of those I'd be interested in (from his reviews) Roma, The Cakemaker, Cold War for sure. Roma will be accessible soon. I saw Burning in that list. If others don't appear soon at a theatre near me or DVD, I'm gonna have to go pirate I think. The film Western is not on that list but Kihei's review piqued my interest too for some reason.

I saw BlackKklansman, Upgrade and Annhilation that used to be in that top ten but it dropped below over time. I liked all three except Annhilation a bit less. I still see it on top 20 lists everywhere, so I understand people loved it (more than me. I just thought it was ok).

The other one I don't understand is Mandy with Nicholas Cage. I haven't seen it but don't really want to, but there it is, in many magazine top ten lists.

I'd have to add Searching in my top ten this year and I don't see it on most lists. That would be my off the radar pick for the year, personally.
Yeah, for god knows what reason, I decided that I would not publish my list in November and December, so that when I do list my top twenty movies for the year at the end of December, it won't seem like such a foregone conclusion already, especially as a lot of my original evaluations tend to bounce up and down a little (and, though very rarely, a lot) after I have had more time to think about the films that I have seen. The end of the year list always seems more definitive to me than my day to day lists. In a way all this frees me a bit from the tyranny of the last published list before the end-of-the-year list. It's also just more fun. So there's that.

I haven't seen Mandy yet, but I will eventually.

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
I wonder what Netflix is up to. Roma wasn't distributed in theatres properly IMHO. They got in an argument with the Cannes Festival and pulled their films and won in Venice. I think maybe they just distributed some films to select theatres in order to officially qualify as a 'film' for award purposes. The bigger play here might be to get some rep and chalk up a few awards for their own Netflix brand, they want credit for producing quality content (not maximize revenue for a specific film but maximize rep for the brand). I might be wrong, but if so, it might be some strategy along those lines anyway,
Yeah it annoys me as well, sine I want to see this in theatre (and I'm also living in Ottawa now).

Here's an article that explains it: https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainmen...ontender-roma-at-their-local-cinema-1.4199570

Apparently Cineplex has a policy that if they show a film, then there has to be 90 day window until it's available for streaming or rental at home. So since Netflix wants to stream this one starting in December, Cineplex theatres won't show it.

It sounds like Netflix's goal is to have more exclusive content, so that more people will sign up for the monthly subscription.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah it annoys me as well, sine I want to see this in theatre (and I'm also living in Ottawa now).

Here's an article that explains it: https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainmen...ontender-roma-at-their-local-cinema-1.4199570

Apparently Cineplex has a policy that if they show a film, then there has to be 90 day window until it's available for streaming or rental at home. So since Netflix wants to stream this one starting in December, Cineplex theatres won't show it.

It sounds like Netflix's goal is to have more exclusive content, so that more people will sign up for the monthly subscription.
You're not out of luck, it is playing at the Bytowne Theatre downtown on Rideau St. after Christmas (an independent). This is a great place to watch movies, it's one of two remaining 1950's style theatres still operating here (the other is The Mayfair). I was thinking of going to see it at the Bytowne but curiosity will probably get the best of me and I'll see it on Netflix before then. Here is the schedule below. And welcome to Ottawa.

https://www.bytowne.ca/movie-calendar

I just read this today, that also explains a bit more what is going on in the movie business these days. I don't know why they did not include Amazon in the analysis.

"A New Paradigm": How Netflix and Apple Are Upending Hollywood Hierarchy With Studio Deals

Reactions: Howard Beale

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
You're not out of luck, it is playing at the Bytowne Theatre downtown on Rideau St. after Christmas (an independent). This is a great place to watch movies, it's one of two remaining 1950's style theatres still operating here (the other is The Mayfair). I was thinking of going to see it at the Bytowne but curiosity will probably get the best of me and I'll see it on Netflix before then. Here is the schedule below. And welcome to Ottawa.

https://www.bytowne.ca/movie-calendar

I just read this today, that also explains a bit more what is going on in the movie business these days. I don't know why they did not include Amazon in the analysis.

"A New Paradigm": How Netflix and Apple Are Upending Hollywood Hierarchy With Studio Deals
Thanks, good to know.

And yeah that does help to explain... I guess the whole industry's in a state of transition. We'll probably see in a few years what the new normal is.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs [2018] : (* Currently On Netflix *)

The Coen Brothers wrote and directed 6 mini-Westerns. Some are funny, some sad, some romantic, some suspenseful, all are well done - my favourites start and end the 133 minute movie.

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs, like the musical numbers that the lie within, is a treat.

8/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The Doll (Vaxdockan) (1962) by Arne Mattsson – 6/10

Okay, so I saw this Swedish film from 1962. It's relatively obscure it seems, but I found it in its entirety on YT (link below) with English subtitles. It doesn't have its own wiki page in English though, only in Swedish/Norwegian/Italian. Its original title is Vaxdockan which means The Vax Doll, but the English title cutting of the vax kinda reveals that it isn't that central to the plot.

I don't know how to categorize this film genre wise. Psychological drama, perhaps. Or, to a lesser extent, psychological horror. It's about a lonely guy/man working as a night guard/watchman who finds love in a peculiar place/form. Or... at least that what he thinks.

I think this film is pretty uneven as a whole, a lot of it in its production/minor acting roles. The idea (I think the director pitched it already in 1945) is solid though, and it has some great scenes. Even though the film in itself is relatively obscure, the lead actor (Per Oscarsson) was one of the more famous/distinguished ones in Sweden during the 20th century, and I think he shows why here. Also the female title role is played in a satisfying manner.

This is not a film you should see if you want something scary though, it's more in the line of sad/slightly strange/creepy Euro stuff. What I liked with it though is that it has layers and touches on different subjects (such as loneliness, desire, jealousy, sanity/insanity, human relationships). So in that sense it's relatively meaty.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
hapy_as_lazzaro_adriano_tardiolo_courtesy_netflix.jpg
Edit

Happy As Lazzaro
(2018) Directed by Alice Rohrwacher 3A (bad movie; accessible)

The first half of this movie is a rather standard issue examination of how a rich family in Italy exploits the peasants who toil on their land. The uncaring Marquise who owns the land has never bothered to inform these peasants that according to law they are no longer sharecroppers but employees who deserve to be paid for their labour. The rich son of the estate sort of makes friends with Lazzaro who is as sweet-natured as he is dull-witted. Then the rich kid dreams up a kidnapping scheme, designed to get money from his mother, and he talks the ever helpful Lazzaro into conspiring with him. What could go wrong? Well, not what you would think, as Mother is having none of this ruse. However, Lazzaro seems to come to a bad end anyway, but then, presto chango, he's up and running good as new though an awful lot of time has inexplicably passed by (his name is a not-too-subtle hint). At this point, the last half of the film becomes incoherent as the not very inspired but serviceable story suddenly zigzags several years into the future by which time the rich are now experiencing hard times, not that it changes their attitudes much. A totally unchanged Lazzaro, wearing the same peasant garb he wore at the beginning of the movie, is still wandering around, confusing the hell out of everybody except for those who believe he's a ghost. Who knows what he is? Certainly the movie doesn't offer an opinion. Because the whole second half of the film needs a serious rethink, what marginal promise the film had to begin with dissipates into a black hole of wtf-ness.

subtitles

Available on Netflix

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
aprayer.jpg

A Prayer Before Dawn
(2018) Directed by Jean-Stephane Sauvair 6B (good movie; patches of brutal violence)

A Prayer Before Dawn is both a prison movie and a boxing movie and it terms of either genre it offers something a little fresher than I expected. Based on a personal memoir, Billy (Joe Cole) makes the serious mistake of getting caught with drugs in Thailand. He is arrested and sent to an absolutely brutal prison filled with violent men, none of whom are English. He's pretty violent himself, a boxer by trade with a short fuse, and he uses his skills to survive being beaten or sexually assaulted--although he is forced to watch a terrifying sexual assault take place. Life is hell for him, though in truth life was hell for him on the outside, too, so the change is minimal. His scraps for survival lead him to learn Thai boxing and he becomes so good at it that he is invited to participate on the prison's team, one of a circuit of Thai prisons that encourage Thai boxing competitions among inmates. So yes, there is a big bout coming up that he must win, but the story doesn't end there. While A Prayer Before Dawn can't avoid certain cliches of the genre, the movie certainly comes up with as original an approach as it can. The focus is really on Billy and his survival. The boxing sequences aren't overplayed--there are no spectacular Tony Jaa-type pyrotechnics to be seen and appreciated, much less any Rocky shenanigans. What we do get is a reasonably straightforward idea of what it must have been like to be in this guy's shoes. Joe Cole, who I have never seen before, gives a prodigious performance as Billy. As no one speaks English, Billy is a man of few words, but Cole makes his inner feeling very clear through the intensity of his eyes and the range of his expressions. Not a great movie by any means, but a nice little sleeper well worth checking out.

subtitles with some English

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At-Eternitys-End-Poster-Willem-Dafoe-Vincent-Van.jpg

At Eternity's Gate
(2018) Directed by Julian Schnabel 6B (good movie; modest degree of difficulty)

While there are no shortage of Van Gogh biopics out there, At Eternity's Gate, which recreates several moments, defining and ordinary, in Van Gogh's life, ranks among the best of them. A great deal of credit should go to Willem Dafoe who plays Van Gogh as a tortured soul all right, but not in such a manner that chews up the scenery. The great artist's life was filled with chaos and uncertainty as his paintings were way, way ahead of their time. Van Gogh claims, in fact, that he is cursed to create art that only future generations will appreciate--a good line but likely one that he never spoke. With Dafoe providing the inner torment, director Julian Schnabel concentrates on suitable atmosphere and presentation in support of that performance. Schnabel being a famous painter himself, a leading neo-expressionist of the 80's, views Van Gogh's glum existence with empathy. This is a plus on the whole, but occasionally Schnabel errs with some camera trickery in terms of bifocal lenses, superimpositions and the like that only serve to detract from the power of the film. To be fair, Schnabel also creates some wonderful moments both with the surrounding landscape and with his actors. There is a scene late in the movie when Van Gogh, in an asylum, is interviewed by a priest (Mads Mikkelsen). The interrogation is gentle but firm, and the priest seems genuinely curious about Van Gogh's view of things. Almost all of this scene is shot in extreme close-ups, mostly focused on Mikkelsen's priest's face. It is a riveting little piece of theatre in which the slightest lapse in concentration by either actor would be disastrous for the film. But no such lapse occurs. As good as Dafoe is, that scene made me wonder what Mikkelsen would have done with the central role. Doubt seriously that I will ever find out, though.

English with a few subtitles

Last edited:

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Really dug Widows. Kind of the type of hollywood movie they don't really make anymore. Stylistic, entertaining, a pretty good script (with a few caveats) and laced with social commentary throughout, Widows is one of my favourites of the year so far. I'm a sucker for heists movies, and this sets a very high bar for others in the genre.

Also, Daniel Kaluuya. My God. Incredibly menacing.

8/10

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
When A Woman Ascends The Stairs (1960) - 8.5/10

Really well-done Japanese drama without as much of the melodramatic acting that plagues some of their other films. I've seen one other film by the same director (Yearning) and this one is far better paced with a better storyline and actual drama as you see the overwhelming world of running a bar crash on a woman. It's devastatingly good at times even when it's a little exploitative. Probably the most crass Japanese classic I've seen but it speaks a lot of harsh truths. You'll see few movies that make you feel as dirty yet stay so classy and sensitive throughout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad