Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +4

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Le Doulos (1962) - 6/10

I was very confused, there were tonnes of names and references thrown around with little background, but at least it looked nice. Actually this review by some American source in the 60s sums it up:

[T]here's not much to recommend the picture, which is one of those feeble attempts to be philosophical and mordant about crime as a chosen career. Jean-Pierre Melville, who wrote and directed it, has so many scenes of mere conversation running through it—so many scenes in which plot is played in talk—that one wonders why his people need firearms. They can talk one another to death.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Hope you post your thoughts.

Just finished it. Wow, lots of surprises in this movie. Amy Ryan’s character is a horrible mother. I really enjoyed the final 40 minutes of the film very much. I might have to go back and watch it from start to finish rather than breaking it up. I don’t like it as much as Mystic River, which Lehane also wrote, but it’s still good. Casey Affleck is very good in this film, and Morgan Freeman is always good.

Well acted film with lots of surprises.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
vadfaj3hqzgDFTSdWUMp5onELPK.jpg

The Wolf’s Call
(2019) Directed by Antonin Baudry 6A

While The Wolf’s Call is no Destination Tokyo, Das Boot or The Hunt for Red October, as submarine movies go it's still a fun watch. The Russians supposedly launch a nuclear ballistic missile at Europe, specifically at Paris, and a French Captain is sent out on a nuclear submarine to retaliate. But it turns out appearances are not what they seem, and soon another French sub is sent out as well. Though the movie steals a character almost whole from The Hunt for Red October—Jonesy, the sonar expert—the movie makes the most of its chase by focusing on modern submarine technology which is pretty awesome (interestingly, that staple of submarine movies, the periscope, is nowhere in sight). The fact that the two captains are portrayed by a French Muslim (Reda Kateb) and a Frenchman of African descent (Omar Sy) turns out to be an inspired bit of casting. The story telling can be a little clunky from time to time, but The Wolf’s Call develops some moments of real suspense and tension. Not a great movie, but certainly an enjoyable one.

subtitles

Netflix

Sidenote: If like me, you have a soft spot for submarine movies, this collection of opinions by naval experts from the US Naval Institute (of all places) is a fascinating read. A Wolf's Call gets two votes as the most realistic submarine movie ever made.

What is the Most Realistic Submarine Movie Ever Made?

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
vadfaj3hqzgDFTSdWUMp5onELPK.jpg

The Wolf’s Call
(2019) Directed by Antonin Baudry 6A

While The Wolf’s Call is no Destination Tokyo, Das Boot or The Hunt for Red October, as submarine movies go it's still a fun watch. The Russians supposedly launch a nuclear ballistic missile at Europe, specifically at Paris, and a French Captain is sent out on a nuclear submarine to retaliate. But it turns out appearances are not what they seem, and soon another French sub is sent out as well. Though the movie steals a character almost whole from The Hunt for Red October—Jonesy, the sonar expert—the movie makes the most of its chase by focusing on modern submarine technology which is pretty awesome (interestingly, that staple of submarine movies, the periscope, is nowhere in sight). The fact that the two captains are portrayed by a French Muslim (Reda Kateb) and a Frenchman of African descent (Omar Sy) turns out to be an inspired bit of casting. The story telling can be a little clunky from time to time, but The Wolf’s Call develops some moments of real suspense and tension. Not a great movie, but certainly an enjoyable one.

subtitles

Netflix

Sidenote: If like me, you have a soft spot for submarine movies, this collection of opinions by naval experts from the US Naval Institute (of all places) is a fascinating read. A Wolf's Call gets two votes as the most realistic submarine movie ever made.

What is the Most Realistic Submarine Movie Ever Made?

There are a lot of well-deserved love towards Das Boot n the poll. I have to check out A Wolf's Call, but more people need to watch Das Boot.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The Wolf's Call has been on my watchlist for about a year now and every time I scroll over it, I go "Oh yeah, I want to watch that." And then when I sit down to watch a movie, I forget about it. Blessings to the guy who voted for Down Periscope in that poll. :laugh:

Some of my favorite subgenres of movies:
Submarines
The Arctic
Guys in suits yelling at each other

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Been some lean movie watching times the last few weeks, but I've worked in a few.

Hell Night. Early 80s Linda Blair college horror flick. Meh. Mostly dull. Nothing here that hasn't been done better before or after.

Patrick. An Aussie creeper about a telekinetic paraplegic. Pretty good film making here! Some clever shots and sequences from Richard Franklin. Defies its internal logic sometimes, but in ways that added to my enjoyment, rather than detracting. A creepy, pleasant surprise.

Motherless Brooklyn. On paper there's a lot about this I should like. Good cast. Fan of the source novel (eventhough this takes massive liberties with that). Sucker for a good noir. This felt like karaoke though. A half-drunk impersonation of much better movies. Yeah, I dig Chinatown too, but I didn't take an unrelated novel and try to make it into a prolonged homage to that and other classics. It's about POWER, get it. Not even mad about the departures from the book really. Edward Norton is by all accounts a smart guy. Sad that this long time passion project is so basic.

Day of the Outlaw. A wonderfully bitter-edged and beautifully shot western from Andre de Toth. Burl Ives' outlaws ride into town and Robert Ryan's crusty rancher wants them out. The snowy last 30 minutes or so in particular are great. (Though again, as with these other Criterion "western noirs" it can't quite fully commit to the darkness and just pulls its punch in the last two minutes ...)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Wolf's Call has been on my watchlist for about a year now and every time I scroll over it, I go "Oh yeah, I want to watch that." And then when I sit down to watch a movie, I forget about it. Blessings to the guy who voted for Down Periscope in that poll. :laugh:

Some of my favorite subgenres of movies:
Submarines
The Arctic
Guys in suits yelling at each other

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
screenshot-2020-04-16-at-10.jpg

Capone
(2020) Directed by Josh Trank 3A

If you ever need an example of a movie that never should have been made, Capone will do nicely. Purporting to be about the last year of the dying gangster's life, this hot mess of a movie meanders all over the place, never stopping anywhere long enough to get interesting. This isn't a bad guy biopick; it's an exercise in the grotesque. Capone (Tom Hardy) is presented as a toxic shell of a man who is barely able to communicate, thanks to a past syphilis infection never properly treated and to late-stage dementia. Capone throws up in a bucket, pisses himself on a couch, and shits himself (not for the last time either) in a bed, and that's just in the first 20 minutes. Meanwhile, Hardy is chewing up scenery like you wouldn't believe, his performance so outrageous that it becomes kind of fascinating to watch. He spends the first half of the movie chomping on an ugly cigar butt and the second half chomping on a carrot. His character is nearly brain dead but that is no cause for restraint. I can't reiterate too much that there is no reason for this movie to exist; it provides no insights into anything. I'm astounded that producers gave it the green light. Not since Cats have we had a debacle of this magnitude. The curious might be tempted, especially Tom Hardy fans. I confess, I thought about turning it off early on, but got hooked on its sheer awfulness and watched it until the end. But for most viewers, Capone is not going to represent time well spent.

Amazon Prime

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil and Amerika

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
screenshot-2020-04-16-at-10.jpg

Capone
(2020) Directed by Josh Trank 3A
Some circles seem to have a cult fascination with gangster movies, no matter how bad lol. This movie's producers probably fall into that category (with not enough sense to figure out the project might be intrinsically garbage). Hardy himself probably thought it might be a good psychological study of an infamous rogue.

I have a few friends who fall into this category, I'll pass on the info that this exists, I'm sure they will hunt it down for a viewing. On the 'crap side' of things, this kind of reminds me of The Mule, an Australian crime flick, although that one had some more entertainment redeeming features. :)

The Mule (2014) - IMDb

Reactions: kihei and Amerika

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Some circles seem to have a cult fascination with gangster movies, no matter how bad lol. This movie's producers probably fall into that category (with not enough sense to figure out the project might be intrinsically garbage). Hardy himself probably thought it might be a good psychological study of an infamous rogue.

I have a few friends who fall into this category, I'll pass on the info that this exists, I'm sure they will hunt it down for a viewing. On the 'crap side' of things, this kind of reminds me of The Mule, an Australian crime flick, although that one had some more entertainment redeeming features. :)

The Mule (2014) - IMDb

Yeah, I love a good crime flick as much as the next guy, but this one looked like a dud from a mile away.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
"The 11 Best Movies of All Time According to Tarantino

1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly – Sergio Leone, 1966.
  2. Rio Bravo – Howard Hawks, 1959.
  3. Blow Out – Brian De Palma, 1981.
  4. Taxi Driver – Martin Scorsese, 1976.
  5. His Girl Friday – Howard Hawks, 1940.
  6. Five Fingers of Death – Jeong Chang-Hwa, 1972.
  7. Pandora’s Box – G. W. Pabst, 1929.
  8. Carrie – Brian De Palma, 1976.
  9. Unfaithfully Yours – Preston Sturges, 1948.
  10. Five Graves to Cairo – Billy Wilder, 1943.
  11. Jaws – Steven Spielberg, 1975." The 11 Best Movies of All Time According to Tarantino

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
"The 11 Best Movies of All Time According to Tarantino

1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly – Sergio Leone, 1966.
  2. Rio Bravo – Howard Hawks, 1959.
  3. Blow Out – Brian De Palma, 1981.
  4. Taxi Driver – Martin Scorsese, 1976.
  5. His Girl Friday – Howard Hawks, 1940.
  6. Five Fingers of Death – Jeong Chang-Hwa, 1972.
  7. Pandora’s Box – G. W. Pabst, 1929.
  8. Carrie – Brian De Palma, 1976.
  9. Unfaithfully Yours – Preston Sturges, 1948.
  10. Five Graves to Cairo – Billy Wilder, 1943.
  11. Jaws – Steven Spielberg, 1975." The 11 Best Movies of All Time According to Tarantino

I’ve seen one of those films. Taxi Driver.

Reactions: Soul Man

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
The Only Son (1936) - 7/10

Early Ozu film, his first 'talkie, it's on Youtube below with subtitles. Definitely has that slow pace of Ozu films but the calm reflective aspect isn't fully there yet and it's a short watch as well. Still, it's a good movie, more focused on playing up heavy emotion tbh, probably less subtle than his other stuff but still a huge contrast to the Hollywood films I've seen from the 30s.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00