Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I found Wind River great as a study of character and setting but an utter failure as a whodunnit. It's established early on that the killer can be in one of two places...and one place is eliminated in about twenty minutes.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Predestination (2014) by Michael & Peter Spierig – 1/10

I hated this film, grrrr, it's so dumb. But I'm in a nice mood so I'll give it a better grade than it deserves. It's also depressing as shit, and not even depressing in a layered 'good' or 'comforting' sense, just in a mentally draining and chillingly empty sense. This must belong in a sub-genre of its own, "films that cater to a certain group of people (preferably 20–35 year old males) who wants to feel smart about themselves by watching something they think is complex and deep-layered and thoughtful and says something profoundly interesting about the human experience".... or something.

I guess Inception also qualifies to this genre, but at least Inception isn't pompous and it does have some good looking people in it. Here you get generic Ethan Hawke with a mustache seemingly stolen straight out of the Space Cowboys memorabilia box.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I found Wind River great as a study of character and setting but an utter failure as a whodunnit. It's established early on that the killer can be in one of two places...and one place is eliminated in about twenty minutes.

I agree that it's weak as a mystery. You can pretty much guess what happened. What remains to be found out are just the details. I don't think that it was really trying to be a great mystery, though. I think that it was trying to be more realistic for the sake of calling attention to the real-life issue. What happens to the girl is probably very much like what happens to hundreds of girls on reservations every year (if the movie's stat that thousands go missing every year is true). If it had incorporated some extraordinary twists that you see only in the movies, like the girl being part of a cult and the police chief being its leader, it would've been too "Hollywood" and unrealistic, which would've undermined the whole point. It was kind of refreshing to me to have a movie of this type that's not sensationalized or actively trying to misdirect or surprise me. For that reason, I can cut it a little slack for not having the most mysterious plot. It's certainly fair to mention it, though, lest people expect too much.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Evils of the Night (Rustam, 1985) - I will be forever grateful to Prime for insisting I'd watch this fabulous atrocity. It's been in my recommanded movies for ages, but I just couldn't resign myself. What a mistake it was. Absolute trash with no redeeming quality. The acting and dialogues are wonderfully subpar to what would be acceptable in a high school project (the tied up guy who's really gonna kill the old garagist is fantastic). If it wasn't for the nudity, this would be in the MST3K catalog for sure. Highly recommanded. 1/10

The spaceship we see at the end of the film is a flying toaster stolen from Battlestar Galactica and not the Millennium Falcon as seen on this version of the cover.

81VJKWOQJDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edit: just saw that the guy who directed it also produced a film called Please Don't Eat the Babies... I need to see that! (also a producer for Tobe Hooper's Eaten Alive).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Times like these are tough, but I didn't realize that they were pushing some people that far.

Seriously, did you see my Battlefield Earth review and take that as a challenge to try to find a movie that was worse? If so, you win.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Ultras

with shouty Italian people

We travel to scenic yet slummy Naples to meet Sandro and his pals, greying 50-something Ultras, the hardcore fanatic soccer fans who go to the games solely as excuse to throw fireworks or explosives at or bust open the heads of anyone silly enough to cheer for the other team. Sandro and his immediate pals are all banned from the stadiums and have to sign in at the local police station whenever there's a game on so the cops can confirm where they are. Harsh. They're also the old guard of the local football hooligan crowd called Apaches, and the younger crowd are chafing at their authority. They want to go kick ass at away games, which the oldsters frown upon for some reason. In the much younger crowd is Angelo, whose older brother was killed in a riot some years earlier. Sandro is supposedly trying to keep Angelo from following in his bro's footsteps...by apparently setting the worst possible example. Much shouting later, Naples is in the league final in Rome! Not that anyone's actually watching the games. The old banned guys will only listen on the radio, and the young guys are too busy shouting and chanting. Which is most of the movie.

I've never really understood football hooliganism, and I still don't. From what I can tell, it's mostly about chanting. Oh, these guys love their chants. They have wedding chants, funeral chants, chants to honour the banned, chants when they're going home on the bus, chants when they're being recriminated by the old guys...all the chants. There however is very little actual violence in the movie though, and virtually no soccer, which underlines the point of how little it has to do with sports. We only know about the victory in the team's penultimate game due to fireworks going off all over Naples while the kids are smoking joints on a roof somewhere.

Tedious and forgettable.

On Netflix.

v1.bjsyNDYzNjM1O2o7MTg0Nzg7MTIwMDsxNTc1OzEwNTA

You'd think they'd know who actually won the game...

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Times like these are tough, but I didn't realize that they were pushing some people that far.

Seriously, did you see my Battlefield Earth review and take that as a challenge to try to find a movie that was worse? If so, you win.

I've always been somewhat of a fan of these 'so bad they're good' films. I keep my 1/10 for these special films, and to me they're way better than my 2/10, and sometimes than most of my 3/10 (which I keep for the more conventional commercial stuff).

The masterpiece of these films is Devil's Story - Il était une fois le diable. Nothing comes close to this mess. It's in French, but I don't think speaking the language actually helps understand what's going on. Lucky you, it's on YouTube in glorious quality. The horse-shooting scenes are mythic and have been referenced in lots of z-movies and nanar literature. You can appreciate its cinematography, its acting, its direction and, most of all, its editing at 33:42, and again at 47:12, and still at 56:58 (yeah, the old man is shooting at that horse for half the film).

This is the 1/10 of all 1/10.

Reactions: Osprey

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Blood And Money (2020) :

Tom Berenger plays Jim Reed. Jim has an awful habit of doing the wrong thing - including accidently killing his daughter while driving drunk. It haunts him so he's spending his final years alone, trying not to drink, waiting for lung cancer to end his sad life.

About 45 minutes in, Jim comes across a bag of money and the movie starts to get a No Country For Old Men vibe - except Blood And Money takes place in the northern wilderness.

Other differences :

1) Jim's battling the stupidest criminals since Home Alone - they like to shout their plans just as Jim gets within ear shot;

2) Even though Jim is 70 (going on 90) and wounded, he's the one doing most of the hunting.

The reviews for Blood And Money aren't good but I enjoyed it. The second half is cliché heavy, and the bad guys can't seem to shoot straight, but I found the movie intense. Nothing great but certainly worth a look.

6.5/10

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Dirty Dancing (1987) by Emile Ardolino – 9/10

This film is amazing. Why hasn't anyone told me that before? :laugh:

First, in the beginning, I thought the narrative moved a little too fast, when they brought on that silly music already after a couple of scenes, and I was like okaaaay we get it. But then it slowed down a little and actually settled to a good pace and a sufferable storyline.

It felt a bit weird though when Jennifer Grey made her patented curious face because she looked exactly 100% like a relative of mine when he beats people in chess or the Rubik's Cube.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I find Wind River to be Sheridan's weakest effort out of his trilogy "the Modern Day American Frontier". The plot is too streamlined, as everything fits too neatly together, so the movie feels forced at times. That said, the pace is very brisk, and I am not bored at all, so I still do find it rather enjoyable. This trilogy is probably one of the best ones out there in the last little while.

What I really like is Olsen's character, who is what I wish Blunt's character in Sicario could have been. I praised Sicario when I reviewed it, but my main problem with that movie is how weak Blunt's character is portrayed, so much so that she reinforces all the negative stereotypes of woman as a damsel in distress in an ultra masculine world. Sheridan fixed that issue in Wind River. Olsen's character is out of her element, but she still displays the inner strength Blunt's character lacked. It is possible for a woman to be put into a life-and-death situation, and still be come out as a rather strong character.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What I really like is Olsen's character, who is what I wish Blunt's character in Sicario could have been. I praised Sicario when I reviewed it, but my main problem with that movie was how weak Blunt's character is, so much so that she reinforced all the negative stereotypes of women as a damsel in distress in an ultra masculine world. Sheridan fixed that issue in this. Olsen's character is out of her element, but she still displays the inner strength Blunt's character lacked. It is possible for a woman to be put into a life-and-death situation, and still be come out as a rather strong character.

I, too, liked her character. She's inept and out of her element early on, but it's because she's a rookie who's used to much hotter climates, not because she's a woman. Her character is important to the story because she's the outsider, the one that we're meant to relate to. It was refreshing because it feels to me like movies often try too hard to avoid unflattering stereotypes by writing female characters that are free of any faults. I wrote last week about how Rey starts the new Star Wars trilogy as resourceful, skilled, confident and mature beyond her years, so she has no growing to do by the end like Luke did. How do you relate to a main character that has no faults and ends the film/trilogy essentially the same way that he/she started it? Writers have to be willing to give characters, including female characters, faults in order for them to have something to overcome and grow from. Having a female character, especially, overcome hers and become a strong character before our eyes sends a more inspiring message than one who just seems to be naturally strong, IMO.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I, too, liked her character. She's inept and out of her element early on, but it's because she's a rookie who's used to much hotter climates, not because she's a woman. Her character is important to the story because she's the outsider, the one that we're meant to relate to. It was refreshing because it feels to me like movies often try too hard to avoid unflattering stereotypes by writing female characters that are free of any faults. I wrote last week about how Rey starts the new Star Wars trilogy as resourceful, skilled, confident and mature beyond her years, so she has no growing to do by the end like Luke did. How do you relate to a main character that has no faults and ends the film/trilogy essentially the same way that he/she started it? Writers have to be willing to give characters, including female characters, faults in order for them to have something to overcome and grow from. Having a female character, especially, overcome hers and become a strong character before our eyes sends a more inspiring message than one who just seems to be naturally strong, IMO.

I do like your assessment on character growth. You will really like One Punch Man then.
:laugh:

I would not say Olsen's character is inept though. Rather, she is just green, and woefully unprepared.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I would not say Olsen's character is inept though. Rather, she is just green, and woefully unprepared.

I agree. That was a hasty choice of wording. I meant more what you said.

Last edited:

member 51464

The Passion of Joan of Arc - Wow! What a fantastic film. It definitely does not need a qualifier about "good for the silent era" or anything like that. Very intense, great acting from the titular character, and a rather epic soundtrack.

Reactions: kihei and Osprey

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I watched High Noon. I'm extremely biased against older films, but I enjoyed this one for its simplicity. It's really streamlined and I want to say real-time. They set the characters up very clearly and well and really do a great job building tension. I don't think the climax hit all that well but it still didn't affect the experience overall. Definitely one of the best pre-70s movies I've seen.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I watched High Noon. I'm extremely biased against older films, but I enjoyed this one for its simplicity. It's really streamlined and I want to say real-time. They set the characters up very clearly and well and really do a great job building tension. I don't think the climax hit all that well but it still didn't affect the experience overall. Definitely one of the best pre-70s movies I've seen.

Yeah there's some good shorter Westerns from Hollywood like that. The Ox-Bow Incident off the top of my head and Bad Day At Black Rock off the top of my head though High Noon is probably one of the better ones. Plus, Grace Kelly....(who also happened to be in my favourite Hitchcock film, Dial M For Murder).

Reactions: Trap Jesus

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The blown bust at the start of Infernal Affairs makes no sense. They dumped millions upon millions of dollars of drugs off a boat right at the shore right in front of the police. Even if they didn't have divers to just go and grab the drugs on the bottom, the police saw them doing it, complete nonsense.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I find Wind River to be Sheridan's weakest effort out of his trilogy "the Modern Day American Frontier".

FWIW, it's the only one that he himself directed. I remember for Sicario, Villeneuve and Benicio said they cut out like 90% of the dialogue for his character from the original script.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Castle In The Ground (2020) :

A family is destroyed by opioid addiction.

Castle In The Ground is a movie for people who don't think life is depressing enough.

2.5/10

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched the first half of Intolerance last night. I thought that some of D.W. Griffith's portrayals in his previous film were unflattering. How he lays into the moral reformers of his day in this one is just merciless. At least, here, it's more amusing than objectionable. I can't decide if I've been more entertained by that or by the stunning Babylonian sequences.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
FWIW, it's the only one that he himself directed. I remember for Sicario, Villeneuve and Benicio said they cut out like 90% of the dialogue for his character from the original script.

I actually saw the movie twice, because I did like it.

That said, I maintain my stance. While I do think it is a good directorial debut, and he is able to maintain the theme and style of the previous two works, there is definitely room for improvement.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I actually saw the movie twice, because I did like it.

That said, I maintain my stance. While I do think it is a good directorial debut, and he is able to maintain the theme and style of the previous two works, there is definitely room for improvement.

Oh, yes don't get me wrong I liked it too. And I agree it's a good debut. Just something to keep an eye on with his movies going forward, if he's one of those writers who benefits more from having his material in a different set of hands, rather than his own.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Most Likely to Murder. (2018)

A 30-something slacker returns to his Long Island neighborhood for Thanksgiving.. and comes to believe a nerd from the old neighborhood killed his own mother..
The slacker protagonist is still childish, living life like a stoned teenager.. while the nerd has moved forward in to adulthood. It's basically a dark, crass comedy, w/a number of Ace Ventura references.. kept me intrigued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad