Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
MV_Essay_Current_medium.jpg

Monsieur Verdoux
(1947) Directed by Charles Chaplin 7A

The founding father of film criticism, James Agee, thought Monsieur Verdoux was a masterpiece, but he was almost alone in praising the film when it was first released. Despite being set in 1932 in France, the movie was roundly denounced by North American critics in a manner boarding on hysteria. No one expected a comedy so black from Chaplin, and people were genuinely surprised by the film's perceived cynicism. Monsieur Verdoux is the story of a Bluebeard type figure, a man who courts middle-aged woman so that he can eventually murder them and take their money. Verdoux (Charles Chaplin) is not your common criminal, though. Forced out of work, he takes up a life of murder and duplicity in order to help his crippled wife and young son who have no other means of support. He rationalizes his acts as being small change in comparison with the lives taken by the great armies of the world. Following a seven year hiatus from film, Chaplin's choice of story was like a slap in the face to many observers, especially so as the movie focuses heavily on situational ethics and "enlightened" self interest, concepts that most critics didn't even want to think about in the early post-war years. Chaplin's performance here is among his best. The Tramp figure is finally abandoned and in its place is this oily, intelligent, sentimental, ruthless, ironic, immoral Verdoux. Although there are a scattering of comic moments in Monsieur Verdoux, I can't claim there are a lot of laughs. But there is a whole lot more food for thought here than in most Hollywood movies released in this time period. I'll give the last word here to Agee who called the film “even more remarkable and fascinating as a study of the relationship between ends and means, a metaphor for the modern personality— that is, a typical ‘responsible’ personality reacting to contemporary pressures according to the logic of contemporary ethics.” One need look no further than the current regime in Washington to see how bankrupt the notion that situational ethics can justify virtually anything remains today.

Available on Netflix

Reactions: Lshap and Chili

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
one stop (2018) - A 5 minute skateboarding clip that I found immensely satisfying. I adore skateboarding but have not had any sort of interest in skateboarding culture since my teens. Also, while I enjoy skateboarding videos, it is refreshing to watch a film that is not a series of clips of one-time, heavy tricks or a short, intense run with the music sharing the spotlight in an abrasive manner. one stop is a continuous run by the talented Miles Silvas accompanied by a tasteful jazz tune. I loved it. Artistically executed, the sound of a pop or cruising wheels are given their rightful due, the tricks are performed gracefully and the silent artifice is made to look easy, which I appreciate in art. Even if you have no interest in skateboarding, I don't think anyone would find it a waste of five minutes to watch this sublime piece. Between the cheeky playfulness and fluid style, I have nothing but admiration for its execution. Shot in Los Angeles' Koreatown.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That seems to me like looking pretty far and overlooking examples closer to home.

Green party leader calls on white Canadian women to riot and loot
Doesn't that even strike you as a mammoth false equivalent, a totally powerless woman in an minor-league political party with no politicqal power--as quoted in an alt-right rag? Do they have movie reviews in The Western Standard; I'd be curious about films seen from an alt-right angle. George Clooney ever get a good review?

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of The Shadows (2016) - 4/10

This makes me really appreciate Marvel films, even makes the DC ones look good. The early-90s TMNT films were cheesy but this feels like a child's film. Megan Fox though should be um, in more movies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
MV_Essay_Current_medium.jpg

Monsieur Verdoux
(1947) Directed by Charles Chaplin 7A
Believe in the credits there is a mention of Orson Welles. He wanted to do a film about a real life character named Landru and wrote a script (The Ladykiller). He wanted Chaplin to star in the movie and CC was interested, confirmed in his autobiography. But I guess he changed his mind and wrote his own story and bought the idea from Welles.

Both were so strong willed, can only imagine those two trying to work together, it would have been interesting.

(Rosebud)

Reactions: kihei

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Watched two fine films:

The Private Life of Henry VIII-1933

Witty historical telling of Henry and his 6 wives. Another memorable performance from Charles Laughton (Javert, Quasimodo, Captain Bligh...). Facts may have been stretched (i.e. when he's throwing chicken bones over his shoulder) but good fun including the card game between Laughton and Elsa Lanchester (they both cheat).

Green Book-2018

Inspiring road trip film of two completely opposite men, one the cultured musician, the other the street wise tough guy. They learn from each other. Great true story of friendship. Great vintage cars. Solid performances, a movie I'll remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Doesn't that even strike you as a mammoth false equivalent, a totally powerless woman in an minor-league political party with no politicqal power--as quoted in an alt-right rag? Do they have movie reviews in The Western Standard; I'd be curious about films seen from an alt-right angle. George Clooney ever get a good review?

Doesn't it strike you that arguing that the situations are not equivalent is how situational ethics are often justified? It just seems strange to me to take the shot that you did (in a movie review, of all things) when there's a much better example of how "situational ethics can justify virtually anything" all over the news right now.

10/10 source there. You think we can watch movies but can't read?

:rolleyes:

No, I thought that you could read, which is why I gave only a link. If you had actually read it, you would've seen that it accurately summarized what she said and even embedded her tweet. Her tweet is the story, but you and kihei are both trying to discredit the messenger, instead. You think that I can't see through such an obvious deflection? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Doesn't it strike you that arguing that the situations are not equivalent is how situational ethics are often justified? It just seems strange to me to take the shot that you did (in a movie review, of all things) when there's a much better example of how "situational ethics can justify virtually anything" all over the news right now.

I had to go check situational ethics to be sure I understood the meaning correctly, and I for one think your post is very interesting. Makes me think about my own position, since I pretty much agree with Mrs Roberts and that I am ready to turn a blind eye to at least part of what happened as a result of the manifestations in the States (I am not in favor of the excesses, but I can understand it went there). I don't think she meant what the article implies she meant, but her choice of words opened the door for such criticism - she should have said: "Stop minimizing the BLM protests to the "looting" and "rioting"" - I think that would have been fine with everybody.

On the other hand, speaking of situational ethics, it is absolutely hilarious that Max burning bridges with burning fossiles Bernier intervenes here to call her a crazy radical. Wasn't he the one to defend that other asshole who called for more hate speech in Canada?

Not a fan of any politician anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->