Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Uncut Gems - 4/10 - Too fast paced and littered with plot holes. Sandler does well but overall the movie is all over the place and leaves you feeling pretty empty at the end. Do not recommend.

Reactions: ItsFineImFine

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Pet Sematary (2019) - 5/10 (Didn't like or dislike it)

It's the 80s movie without the 80s. This is a pretty average (and unnecessary) remake. There are a few changes from the original, but they feel like the sort that are done just to mix things up for folks who have seen the original. That said, the biggest of those (that I won't give away because it's one of the few surprising things in the movie) is an improvement. Also an improvement over the original is the acting. Jason Clarke is decent, but it's the actresses playing the mother and daughter that carry things. Despite those improvements and the movie hitting similar notes, including some chilling moments, it's ultimately just not as creepy as it was 30 years ago. In other words, it improves upon the original around the edges, but fails to capture the one thing that really redeemed it. It feels like a lateral update, at best.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I never really like rating movies for some reason, but if I had to I'd say like a 4/10.

Understandable. I used to think it was the dumbest thing to do, and it probably still is, but as I got older, my rating on IMDB is often the only thing that reminds me I have seen some of these films. So for a long while I had these and kept them to myself. And then I found this thread and it's kind of fun to share, but yeah, still too restrictive to mean anything (no matter how complex you try to make your rating of art, it always reminds 100% restrictive and 50% showboating).

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Understandable. I used to think it was the dumbest thing to do, and it probably still is, but as I got older, my rating on IMDB is often the only thing that reminds me I have seen some of these films. So for a long while I had these and kept them to myself. And then I found this thread and it's kind of fun to share, but yeah, still too restrictive to mean anything (no matter how complex you try to make your rating of art, it always reminds 100% restrictive and 50% showboating).
I've always liked the concept of rating things and ranking things but I just feel like there are so many factors involved with movies where just slapping a number on it can be tough.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
La Haine (1995) - 6/10

Take the fun out of Do The Right Thing and the rhythm out of City of God and combine them into a joyless film with three annoying characters to follow around and you have this.

The Collector/La Collectionneuse (1967) - 5/10

Eugh.
La Haine is an all time great for me but it is not for everyone. Agree City of God is probably better

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've always liked the concept of rating things and ranking things but I just feel like there are so many factors involved with movies where just slapping a number on it can be tough.

That's why I don't even try to rate movies objectively any more. If I were to, I'd probably go mad and stop reviewing altogether. I found, though, that it's pretty easy for me to decide how much I "liked" or "enjoyed" a movie and then just translate that to my number scale (disliked it = 4, ambivalence = 5, liked it = 6, and so on). In fact, I usually have a good idea of what rating I'll give before I even finish a movie. Rating this way frees me from issues like how to rate a trashy movie that I enjoyed or a critically praised one that I didn't enjoy, as well as from feeling too much like I'm being judgmental (of the movie or viewers who feel differently about it) or like I need to justify my praise/criticism. It works for me.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
That's why I don't even try to rate movies objectively. If I were to, I'd go mad and would probably stop reviewing. I found, though, that it's pretty easy for me to decide how much I "liked" or "enjoyed" a movie and then just translate that to my number scale (disliked it = 4, ambivalence = 5, liked it = 6, and so on). In fact, I usually have a good idea of what rating I'll give before I even finish a movie. Rating this way frees me from issues like how to rate a trashy movie that I enjoyed or a critically praised one that I didn't enjoy, as well as from feeling too much like I'm judging. It really works for me.

I'm afraid only I really understand my ratings. Kind of a message to my future self regarding a film's worth in rewatchability. Most commercial flicks end up as 3s or 4s because they offer no narrative originality, and the worst ratings are 2s.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Most of the time a rating is fine, but no system is perfect. There are times when the same score does not mean that they are actually equal, because they both provide different entertainment value, and there are moments in time when I prefer one over the other. To me, it merely provides a good guideline.

In my world, anything over 6/10 can be worth a watch, rather or not it is a mainstream flick, or an art house film, and 7/10 is pretty much the mean score of a good movie.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Mud
3.20 out of 4stars

An enjoyable southern adventure drama seen through the eyes of a maturing young teenager as reality comes to fruition. Filled heavily with themes of love, friendship, and family. Well acted with Sheridan being the standout. I was quite surprised with how well it handled it's subject material in all encompassing ways/views, without trying to give anything away I will say no more.

The Wind Rises
3.20 out of 4stars

Seems to be Miyazaki's most controlled and focused and 'adult' film, probably in large part due to this film being a "realistic" biopic. Anime visuals are top notch as always, but this feels to be a reflective film from Mizayaki's pov also, or maybe his pov on the world. Mirroring what HM could have went through during his film career or maybe even his view on humanity: struggles, triumphs, dreams, escapism, determination, accomplishments, failures, joy, sadness, melancholy, all both good and bad but worth living through none the less.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Fahrenheit 451 (new one)

with Michael Shannon and Michael B. Jordan

Latest adaptation of Ray Bradbury's classic novel, only now it's set in the future and doesn't really make sense with the cloud and USB keys and stuff.

Rating: this is definitely a movie that was made and I saw.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
HarrisonFordWild170220_large.jpg

The Call of the Wild (2020) - 5/10 (Didn't like or dislike it)

A pampered St. Bernard from California winds up in Gold Rush-era Alaska as a sled dog and then a companion for a frontiersman (Harrison Ford). It's a very faithful telling of the classic story and doesn't shy away from the sad parts of the story, but it's also very much a family movie and full of charming, triumphant and implausibly heroic moments. The humans talk to Buck as if he can understand them and Buck looks back as if he can, too. It's live action, but Buck and every other animal is completely CGI. Honestly, I found it pretty unconvincing and distracting, and it didn't help that Buck is anthropomorphized a tiny bit with knowing looks, expressions and the like. All is fine and mostly photorealistic when things are still, but the smallest movements reveal quickly that it's not real. The CGI during action scenes is even more fake looking. It's distracting enough that I wished that it had been a fully CGI animated movie, instead. In a way, that's a compliment, though, because it has some of the feel, charm and family friendliness of one. That and the faithfulness to the story grew on me as the movie went along... not quite enough for me to like it, but not enough to dislike it. It's a good adaptation and I would watch it again, especially to see if I'm more accepting of the CGI the second time. Adults who are less picky than me are liable to like it the first time, though, and it's particularly suitable for kids, who are liable to love it and may not even realize or care that it's not a real dog.

Last edited:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Duck Soup
3.50 out of 4stars

Great political satire with top notch wit and slapstick. Gotta love the Marx brothers.

Screwball(2019)
2.50 out of 4stars

Interesting documentary about the MLB HGH/steroids Biogenesis scandal and the leaking of a lot of players doping. I will summarize what I learned for those who don't want to waste their time on this or who are oblivious to the situation:
-It's crazy how easy it was to cheat MLB testing while one was taking HGH and more banned substances.
-This all sparked from an unlicensed physician not paying back a $4,000 loan to a client he had.
-MLB themselves got their hands dirty with paying for evidence and witnesses during their investigation of this case, which looks even worse today when you compound it to how they've dealt with the Astros cheating scandal.
-Alex Rodriguez took illegal substances for a large portion of his career.
-Alex Rodriguez is a dirty rotten self centred piece of poop that cheated, cover upped, leaked, bribed, and more throughout this scandal. And should have been given a lifetime ban from baseball.

It just sucks to much to see A-Rod and others actually get away with cheating while playing in baseball, but Pete freaking Rose gambled as a coach and was blacklisted. Trying to make an nhl comparison....say for example say Jagr was blood doping or using steroids for most of his career but only received a few suspensions for it, but Mark Messier was banned from all NHL operations and Hall of Fame eligibility because he bet on games "when he was an NHL coach".

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Hail Satan?

with Satanic people and very pissed-off Christians

Documentary of the modern Satanic church and its mission to try to get the US to enforce some separation of church and state. Some interesting history, some laughs, and reaches the very unsurprising conclusion that conservative Christian dogma is overwhelming secularism in US politics. Funny and timely for a while, but ultimately pretty tedious.

On Netflix.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Sleuth (1972) - 8/10

There's an issue with editing here and while it isn't as concise as it needs to be, it really is fun to hear every line of ridiculous delivery from Laurence Olivier and Michael Cain act as foil in the second half. A mystery but not at all like a whodunnit which I appreciate. I'm guessing that the 2007 remake is unfairly rated and likely more to the point.

Snowpiercer (2015) - 7/10

It's a bit played out and cliched the action dystopian film but Chris Evans is fairly good and it has some good shots. Plot is attractive enough with enough twists to keep it interesting.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Sleuth (1972) - 8/10

There's an issue with editing here and while it isn't as concise as it needs to be, it really is fun to hear every line of ridiculous delivery from Laurence Olivier and Michael Cain act as foil in the second half. A mystery but not at all like a whodunnit which I appreciate. I'm guessing that the 2007 remake is unfairly rated and likely more to the point.

I saw both last year and would say that both are fairly rated. The 1972 version is terrific and deserves its rave reviews. The 2007 remake is not very good and deserves its mediocre reviews. You're right that it's more to the point, since it's only 88 minutes, but it felt longer to me than the original's 138 minutes. The only really notable thing about the remake is that it's fun to see Michael Caine play the opposite character (in the original, he played the foil; in the remake, he plays the schemer). The original was his big break and Olivier was a legend at the time, so getting to play Olivier's part 35 years later must've been enjoyable for him.

Since you really liked Sleuth, I recommend 1982's Deathtrap. It features a very similar premise and, likely not coincidentally, also stars Michael Caine (with Christopher Reeve as his young foil). It's not quite as excellent as the 1972 Sleuth, but it's still good and a lot better than the 2007 Sleuth. I think that I wrote reviews for all three here (since I did watch them one after another), but search is down, so I can't find them. I think, though, that I gave the 1972 Sleuth an 8/10, like you, the 2007 remake a 4/10 and Deathtrap a 7/10.

Last edited:
Reactions: ItsFineImFine

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Emperor of the North - 1973

Great trains and scenery (including a wooden trestle). Well matched foes in Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine. One of my favorite train movies.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Ponyo
3.20 out of 4stars

A more whimsical, lighter, and endearing retelling of the little mermaid.

Only Yesterday
3.00 out of 4stars

Reflective and recalling story of one's youth from a grown inner city woman at the age of 27, as she takes a long awaited trip to rural agricultural fields to harvest safflower. It's well told, but too much of it is repetitive of all the tropes this movie genre offers while also throwing in some negative memories also (we lose/forget our true childhood ideals and innocence as we become adults, life was much simpler then, life was happier and less confusing then, etc). It was good, but didn't really wow or entertain me in any special way.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
film-intolerance-1916.jpeg

Intolerance (1916) Directed by D W Griffith 10A

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that director D W Griffith gave birth to Hollywood. He was by no means the first American director to emerge, but he was the first who had the genius to realize film's vast potential for storytelling in the silent era. His Birth of a Nation is considered a watershed work in film history though it is thoroughly compromised by its unflinching racism. Perhaps in recognition of this fact, Griffiths made Intolerance in the following year and that movie has become his magnum opus. In a little over three hours, Intolerance intertwines four separate stories, all to do with its central theme: the great damage intolerance does to individuals and societies. The main story is set in then contemporary America and involves a big group of do-gooders making people's lives miserable. That the acting and character development is overstated and sentimentalized to the point of absurdity is actually little more than a quibble given the rest of the movie, The other three stories, reinforcing the same theme, are set in Catherine de Medici's France, in the Holy Land during the time of Christ, and during the Babylonian empire. Each era has its own elaborate sets, including life-sized reconstructions of ancient building and casts that must collectively number in the tens of thousands. Much of the time in these historical stories action supplants melodrama in wondrous and mind-blowing ways. Many of the images and sequences from these settings remain unique today. With Griffiths continually cutting back and forth among all four stories, there is no time for the audience to get bored. Though Intolerance was made in 1916, only the seven-hour Russian version of War and Peace from the '60s has a scale even remotely as monumental as this film.

intertitles

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey and Amerika

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Ichi the Killer (2001) - Goddamn. Lots of blood, lots of killing and don't hold back on the sexual kinks, with extra blood and extra killing on the side. A really, really fun stylized piece and I'm convinced that if Kakihara had been an american character in a Hollywood film, he would have blown up as a cult character in the culture's consciousness. Not because he's such a well-developed or particularly complex character but because he looks so utterly distinct, dresses flamboyantly and is a fearless sociopath with one freakish goal in mind, a goal he is relentless and depraved in his pursue. He is also acted flawlessly. In fact, the character and subsequent performance turns the title Ichi the Killer into a trick for the viewer. Yes, Ichi is a gonzo nightmare himself, and yes, he is, somewhat, the more developed of the two and his quirks are even more terrifying when you consider the complete lack of control he or any other has over them, but I do not think he ever dominates the screen Kakihara does. For one, the performance is far less magnetic and second, he doesn't have many important lines at all. He is, despite his extraordinary skills and bizarre background, always at the mercy of outside forces, all outside of his control as compared to the confident and collected Kakihara. The set-up makes for a mad story no matter how one approaches or ( :naughty: ) slices it. What makes a lot of the film work and a thrill is the spectacular camera work. The cuts and streaks are just as daring as the torture devices and victim's geyser gashes. Mix that in with characters whose intonations are some of the most attractive I have heard and it becomes something that's right up my alley. In fact, the soundscape of the film is one of the most appealing aspect of the film. Some character peculiarities aren't important to the plot - which at the start of the film feels rather disjointed - but add an excellent touch of idiosyncracy to the film like a chinese prostitute's constant use of impeccable, attractive english to characters who only speak Japanese (yet they also somehow understand her), the whooshing sounds that permeate in numerous scenes or the cartoonish, almost pixel-like texture presented in some beginning cuts. Or a very funny, deadpan poke at twin telepathy. Still, the movie shows its age by moments. Or maybe not. 2001 wasn't that long ago but one would think better effects would have been available. Some of them are outright bad and look garish and cheap to the point of distraction and stupidity. This has the effect of creative a serious flaw for the film and I'm surprised they went by the eyes who a director and cinematographer who look to have taken great care in the flashy presentation of the film. If there were no better effects available, I believe they should have been discarded. It would not have negatively impacted the film or its desired ethos at all. A little more care with a less contrived plot would have helped as well since I said a little earlier, the plot execution feels a little sloppy at the beginning in the jumps between scene to scene and the story gets more and more contrived in the second-half with a couple of points that don't make a high amount of sense. Still, I highly recommend it for anyone who can stand the gore. It's an awesome ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Basquiat (1996) by Julian Schnabel – 7/10

I had forgotten how sad this film is. Not sad in an imminent catastrophic in your face way, but in a kinda sleepy underlying creeping manner. The music is fantastic though, that I had not forgotten.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Ichi the Killer (2001) - Goddamn. Lots of blood, lots of killing and don't hold back on the sexual kinks, with extra blood and extra killing on the side. A really, really fun stylized piece and I'm convinced that if Kakihara had been an american character in a Hollywood film, he would have blown up as a cult character in the culture's consciousness. Not because he's such a well-developed or particularly complex character but because he looks so utterly distinct, dresses flamboyantly and is a fearless sociopath with one freakish goal in mind, a goal he is relentless and depraved in his pursue. He is also acted flawlessly. In fact, the character and subsequent performance turns the title Ichi the Killer into a trick for the viewer. Yes, Ichi is a gonzo nightmare himself, and yes, he is, somewhat, the more developed of the two and his quirks are even more terrifying when you consider the complete lack of control he or any other has over them, but I do not think he ever dominates the screen Kakihara does. For one, the performance is far less magnetic and second, he doesn't have many important lines at all. He is, despite his extraordinary skills and bizarre background, always at the mercy of outside forces, all outside of his control as compared to the confident and collected Kakihara. The set-up makes for a mad story no matter how one approaches or ( :naughty: ) slices it. What makes a lot of the film work and a thrill is the spectacular camera work. The cuts and streaks are just as daring as the torture devices and victim's geyser gashes. Mix that in with characters whose intonations are some of the most attractive I have heard and it becomes something that's right up my alley. In fact, the soundscape of the film is one of the most appealing aspect of the film. Some character peculiarities aren't important to the plot - which at the start of the film feels rather disjointed - but add an excellent touch of idiosyncracy to the film like a chinese prostitute's constant use of impeccable, attractive english to characters who only speak Japanese (yet they also somehow understand her), the whooshing sounds that permeate in numerous scenes or the cartoonish, almost pixel-like texture presented in some beginning cuts. Or a very funny, deadpan poke at twin telepathy. Still, the movie shows its age by moments. Or maybe not. 2001 wasn't that long ago but one would think better effects would have been available. Some of them are outright bad and look garish and cheap to the point of distraction and stupidity. This has the effect of creative a serious flaw for the film and I'm surprised they went by the eyes who a director and cinematographer who look to have taken great care in the flashy presentation of the film. If there were no better effects available, I believe they should have been discarded. It would not have negatively impacted the film or its desired ethos at all. A little more care with a less contrived plot would have helped as well since I said a little earlier, the plot execution feels a little sloppy at the beginning in the jumps between scene to scene and the story gets more and more contrived in the second-half with a couple of points that don't make a high amount of sense. Still, I highly recommend it for anyone who can stand the gore. It's an awesome ride.

Fun film, came at the peak of Miike's artistic production (at that point he kind of looked like a genius), but to me still way subpar to his best films (the best one probably being Visitor Q, from the same year, but I must admit that I stopped watching his films not too long after when he went back to more commercial crap).

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
It's crazy how much better 1999 was for Hollywood film compared to 1989 (unless you're the type to overrate bad 80s comedies and blockbusters like Back To The Future 2).

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
When it comes to effects, I think Miike has always been a "close-enough-for-country" sort of guy as evidenced by this shot from Yakuza Apocalypse (2015):

yakuzafrog.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad