Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +1

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Long Lost [2018] :

Seth visits his long lost brother, who turns out be a rich, creepy, alpha-male jerk. For days, Seth puts up with both his brother's bullying, and the come-ons from his brother's girlfriend. When Seth tries to leave, he gets bribed to stay. Is there something dark/sinister at play, and, if so, will Seth leave before it's too late?

Long Lost is entertaining and funny. The ending is a major disappointment, but that was inevitable, given the set-up.

Catherine Corcoran is very sexy as Abby, and the movie is most enjoyable when she's on the screen.

6/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Catherine Corcoran is very sexy as Abby, and the movie is most enjoyable when she's on the screen.

She's the girl who does the splits in Terrifier. I hope for her sake that her scenes in Long Lost are more flattering ;).

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Mid90s (2018) - 5.5/10

I placed too much faith in Jonah Hill. Making a nostalgic 90s film? This is gonna be comfortable at worse. But nope, Hill's f***ed up brain decided to glamorize drugs and pedophilia for the duration of the film with mostly flat characters.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Is Terrifier any good?

I thought that you might've been the one who recommended it to me, but it must've been someone else. Ah, yes, it was Smelling Salt. It's hard to answer if it's "good" because it's rather niche. You have to be able to appreciate slasher films, particularly low budget, over the top ones. If you can, it's good; otherwise, stay far away. I reviewed it around Halloween:
I finally watched Terrifier last night. It lived up to your recommendation. It's definitely a throwback to 80s slasher films, like you said. I didn't find it to be "scary" (then again, I'm not scared of clowns; it's probably terrifying, no pun, to those who are), but I don't think that it was trying to be, since it was going for unsettling, outrageous, sadistic and gory, instead, and hit those marks. It's amusing that it's obviously low budget, but no expense was spared on the gore. You've got to love indie horror film priorities. It's also amusing seeing the polarized audience reviews at Rotten Tomatoes. People either love it for being stupid and over the top or hate it for being stupid and over the top.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I thought that you might've been the one who recommended it to me, but it must've been someone else. Ah, yes, it was Smelling Salt. It's hard to answer if it's "good" because it's rather niche. You have to be able to appreciate slasher films, particularly low budget, over the top ones. If you can, it's good; otherwise, stay far away. I reviewed it around Halloween:
Maybe I watched it and I don't remember. That has happened before. :)

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Mid90s (2018) - 5.5/10

I placed too much faith in Jonah Hill. Making a nostalgic 90s film? This is gonna be comfortable at worse. But nope, Hill's ****ed up brain decided to glamorize drugs and pedophilia for the duration of the film with mostly flat characters.
This part was so f***ing bizarre. I've seen it done before in a movie like Good Time, but there was a reason to show it for the character/plot. It was unsettling, but that was the point. In this one, it was just super confusing; comes out of nowhere and everyone is completely OK about it.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This part was so ****ing bizarre. I've seen it done before in a movie like Good Time, but there was a reason to show it for the character/plot. It was unsettling, but that was the point. In this one, it was just super confusing; comes out of nowhere and everyone is completely OK about it.
I dislike Jonah Hill so I didn't watch this. After reading the review by Oga, I'm glad I passed.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Just saw Mid90s. I knew it had just decent reviews, but man, I can't remember being this disappointed in a movie in a while. Not sure if I'd go as far as saying it was bad, but it was pretty damn close. I'm all for slice of life movies without much going on plot-wise, but only if they're done well. This movie literally did nothing for me. Just absolutely nothing going on, and then when stuff did happen it just felt bizarre and out of left field, and really had no consequences whatsoever. It also felt pretentious and unabashedly nostalgia-driven, especially at the start.

Sunny Suljic was pretty good as the lead but nothing to write home about, that's about it. Super disappointed for a movie written by Jonah Hill.
For some reason that is beyond me, Seth Rogen, Judd Apatow and Jonah Hill get a pass from critics no matter how bad their movies are. I am not sure why.

Reactions: kihei

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
So Mid90s is not getting much love. I didn't think it was bad. I don't have any bad or good opinions of Jonah Hill (neutral) but I did know he had written and directed it before going in; I also knew it was his first film as Director so my expectations were not great (so I liked it better than most). I wondered after if perhaps he was a victim of harassment or abuse as a child if the topic was close enough to his heart to highlight his first project. But I don't know his bio. Sunny Suljic did impress me though and I noticed Lucas Hedges plays another troubled youth, I'm guessing Directors like him for that, he's got the role down pat. (in the end, I saw the film as a poor man's The Florida Project, it was ok)

The Cannes film festival is coming up in a few weeks. I don't usually follow it closely (just check the reviews after-the-fact, but I might try to follow it more closely this year). Wikipedia has a decent summary for this year.

2019 Cannes Film Festival - Wikipedia

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sharkwater Extinction [2018] :

Toronto born shark enthusiast Rob Stewart's intentions may be good, but his 2018 sequel is meh.

R.I.P.

5.5/10

Movie Trailer :

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Murmur of The Heart (1971) - 7/10

Accidentally watched two movies with pedophilia in a row, this time with added incest! Just great. At least unlike Mid90s, this wasn't pointless and well-directed. But if you thought that the kid in the Truffaut movies is an insufferable twat, this kid takes the cake.

Local Hero (1983) - 7.5/10

Quirky film by Forsyth but it just doesn't click as well as Gregory's Girl. It shows the same type of human decency and weird sense of humour but the protagonist isn't as strong and the story isn't as cohesive nor is the ending as good. Relies a bit on sentimentality but it's a really nice little film and still very watchable.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A friend wants to see Missing Link, tonight. I agreed. The last time she dragged me to a movie, I really loved it - A Star Is Born.

Anyone seen Missing Link?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A friend wants to see Missing Link, tonight. I agreed. The last time she dragged me to a movie, I really loved it - A Star Is Born.

Anyone seen Missing Link?

Someone made a thread on it a few days ago, probably during the weekend. Look down the threads and maybe on the next page of them. He thought that it was awful. It looks cute, though, so a second opinion would be welcome. Hmm... RT has Missing Link at 89% freshness and the audience score is a respectable 69%. Maybe it's not so bad, after all. BTW, one review quote recommends staying for the end credits, so you may care to do that, at least for her sake.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Someone made a thread on it a few days ago, probably during the weekend. Look down the threads and maybe on the next page of them. He thought that it was awful. It looks cute, though, so a second opinion would be welcome. Hmm... RT has Missing Link at 89% freshness and the audience score is a respectable 69%. Maybe it's not so bad, after all. BTW, one review quote recommends staying for the end credits, so you may care to do that, at least for her sake.
I will stay until the very end. (smile)

At ONLY 94 minutes, I like it already. :)

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
If someone does a rating on End Game in here in the next few weeks I'm going to freak!

Freak I tell you!!!!!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Avengers Endgame: 9½/10 Thrilling, exciting, amazing, bittersweet and sad. Didn't feel like a 3 hour movie. By the way, watch the end title credits for the memories, but after that it's ok to leave. Avengers...Assemble!

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePhoenixx

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Avenger Endgame: 9½/10 Thrilling, exciting, amazing, bittersweet and sad. Didn't feel like a 3 hour movie. By the way, watch the end title credits for the memories, but after that it's ok to leave. Avengers...Assemble!

I could have wrote that rating. lol

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Missing Link [2019] :

Big Foot searches for his long lost northern cousins.

Cute. Fun. Terrific animation. The 2nd half is funnier than the first.

7/10

Movie Trailer :

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I Vitelloni. I know this is a classic and it definitely had it's moments, but Fausto is a real make-or-break character here and as well drawn as he is, he gets too much time relative to this co-horts and it proved to be a tough, tough sit for me.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The new Avengers is a three-hour movie? Holy ****...
Whole thing seems absurd but... To each their own.

As I mentioned in another thread... At a local "recliner" theater, they have 3 theaters showing "End Game" starting tonight, and all 3 are sold out until Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad