Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +1

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Uh, I do have a vague recollection of such a character in the later stages of the film when I jumped forward towards the end to see if anything of interest happened. I'm too impatient sometimes. But bad films can obviously contain good elements, and vice versa. I've always said this (to people) regarding scenes, shots, props/scenography, actors, etc., when people look for new films to watch through IMDb average scores. A film with a 4.1 average can be way more interesting (with emphasis on can) than a film with an 8.2 average, and such.

Now when I write this I see The Master has a 7.1 score on IMDb, that's a bit too generous but who cares. I think the film (or the topic the film tries to build an interesting story around) could have been good with better/different focus.

It was a film with a few memorable scenes but as a whole I agree that it was ultimately disappointing.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I’m not going to give a rating because I don’t want to get screamed at. Can someone at least explain why this movie is so highly regarded? It was one of the most not funny comedies I’ve ever watched. Was I just not born in the right era to find it funny?

It probably is an era thing, yes. I would say that the movie is so highly regarded because those of us who saw it between 1975 and 1995 or so were raised on comedies of that era, and it came along and it was both hilarious to our comedic tastes and something that we'd never seen before. It might be safe to say that it was probably most North Americans' first taste of British comedy (at least it was mine), and it wasn't just normal British comedy (which would've been different enough as it is), but its most extreme example. Much of 'Grail' is so absurd that you won't find humor like it elsewhere, which has made it stand out and not be duplicated for over four decades.

A lot of us are very nostalgic about having been kids or teens and watching this movie that we had never heard of, that was unlike anything that we had seen, and laughing together so hard that our sides hurt. Ever since, we try to capture a little bit of the feeling of that experience by re-watching it with friends and family and quoting the lines in day-to-day conversation (because it's so perfectly quotable). You probably have a favorite movie or two that you similarly have fond memories of watching the first time, re-watch with friends and like to quote, so you may be able to relate. Well, to a great many of us who grew up from 1975-95, this was that movie for us.

I'll just add that I really think that it's a movie that's best watched in a group. Seeing others laugh amplifies your own amusement and enjoyment. When I first got the movie on DVD, I watched it by myself and it wasn't quite the same. I still laughed, but half of the fun is laughing with others. For that reason, I prefer to hold off watching it until I have company.

Last edited:

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
I, Tonya [A]
The Disaster Artist [A-]

Talk about the "magic of the movies." Not in this lifetime would I expect to see Tonya Harding or Tommy Wiseau as sympathetic characters, let alone "noble" or "heroic". But here we are. And the neatest trick: turns out I'm the bad guy! Well. Played.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
It probably is an era thing, yes. I would say that the movie is so highly regarded because those of us who saw it between 1975 and 1995 or so were raised on comedies of that era, and it came along and it was both hilarious to our comedic tastes and something that we'd never seen before. It might be safe to say that it was probably most North Americans' first taste of British comedy (at least it was mine), and it wasn't just normal British comedy (which would've been different enough as it is), but its most extreme example. Much of 'Grail' is so absurd that you won't find humor like it elsewhere, which has made it stand out and not be duplicated for over four decades.

A lot of us are very nostalgic about having been kids or teens and watching this movie that we had never heard of, that was unlike anything that we had seen, and laughing together so hard that our sides hurt. Ever since, we try to capture a little bit of the feeling of that experience by re-watching it with friends and family and quoting the lines in day-to-day conversation (because it's so perfectly quotable). You probably have a favorite movie or two that you similarly have fond memories of watching the first time, re-watch with friends and like to quote, so you may be able to relate. Well, to a great many of us who grew up from 1975-95, this was that movie for us.

I'll just add that I really think that it's a movie that's best watched in a group. Seeing others laugh amplifies your own amusement and enjoyment. When I first got the movie on DVD, I watched it by myself and it wasn't quite the same. I still laughed, but half of the fun is laughing with others. For that reason, I prefer to hold off watching it until I have company.
Those are good points, however there are plenty of comedies from that era I find funny and also British comedy from that era (H2G2 book and radio series). It’s just this movie in specific I didn’t find funny and I’m not sure it’s either an era or British thing. Maybe not watching it when I was younger or with a group of people could be it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Those are good points, however there are plenty of comedies from that era I find funny and also British comedy from that era (H2G2 book and radio series). It’s just this movie in specific I didn’t find funny and I’m not sure it’s either an era or British thing. Maybe not watching it when I was younger or with a group of people could be it.

It appeals more to adolescents than adults, although the Tale of Sir Lancelot is sheer genius from beginning to end.

I found Life of Brian to be the funnier film as I got older.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I just watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I’m not going to give a rating because I don’t want to get screamed at. Can someone at least explain why this movie is so highly regarded? It was one of the most not funny comedies I’ve ever watched. Was I just not born in the right era to find it funny?

Oh man, if you didn't lose it at the rabbit you might want to check your pulse.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Gone Girl (2014)

Boy, this was not what I was expecting. It's a well made film, but the story and acting felt like a Lifetime movie. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be some dark satire of reality true crime TV or what. Real weird.

5.5/10

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Panama Papers [2018] :

As per Rotten Tomatoes...

"THE PANAMA PAPERS is a feature documentary that charts the story of the massive data leak that exposed the largest global corruption scandal in history."

6/10

Movie Trailer :

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Gone Girl (2014)

Boy, this was not what I was expecting. It's a well made film, but the story and acting felt like a Lifetime movie. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be some dark satire of reality true crime TV or what. Real weird.

5.5/10
I enjoyed the book and movie about the same. Not great but "okay".

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I think The Town was his best work.

Perfectly fine there. But I prefer Gone Girl where all that macho assertiveness he carries so well in roles like The Town gets neutered. It's a great undercutting of what he had done well previously and he plays it perfect. Still gets to be manly, smart, desirable and (at points) in control, while also being befuddled and defeated and (at points) a loser in all senses of that word. He doesn't often play the fool, but he does it quite well in Gone Girl.

Reactions: NyQuil and kihei

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Aquaman was absolutely brutal. Probably the worst movie I saw from 2018 and the one I came closest to walking out on. Bad acting, bad jokes, exhausting CGI and battle scenes, unintentional humor, it had it all.

Reactions: Joe Strummer

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

It’s pretty stupid, but to each their own.

I remember watching it as a kid because my weird ass Uncle made us watch it one day because he insisted it was hilarious. I suffered through the entire movie waiting for it to get funny...

Now as an adult, I realize it’s still a very unfunny movie and my uncle is still weird with a very quirky sense of humor.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Aquaman was absolutely brutal. Probably the worst movie I saw from 2018 and the one I came closest to walking out on. Bad acting, bad jokes, exhausting CGI and battle scenes, unintentional humor, it had it all.
I didn't like it either.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Serenity [2019] :

Have you ever wanted to see Matthew McConaughey chew up the scenery while running around naked for 106 minutes?

Yeah... me neither.

But that's what you get with Serenity, a movie that approaches, but doesn't quite get to the "mother!" level of bad.

As for the plot...

Jaws
+ Body Heat + The Matrix = Serenity

I know it's early, but Serenity is a STRONG contender for the worst movie of 2019.

1 / 10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I don't think he's bad either (or great) and I've never really gotten why he was such an easy target for vitriol. What makes him stick out more than your average hollywood star?

I think his real public tabloid persona definitely influences the overall opinion of him (dating J-Lo, cheating on Jennifer Garner, substance abuse issues) -- fair or unfair. That stuff doesn't matter to me that much. From an acting standpoint, I think he just doesn't have great taste in roles in general. He's capable of being a good actor but sometimes it feels like he just doesn't care. He's good at cashing checks! Which is good for him. This is America. Feels like he "slums it" a little more than his contemporaries though. Also, I think because of his big block head, it's always been assumed he's a lunkhead. I don't believe is the case in reality, but he's never fully shaken that impression.

Reactions: Amerika

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
As Bette Davis once said about some forgotten ingenue, Ben has all the range from "A" to "B."

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Serenity, a movie that approaches, but doesn't quite get to the "mother!" level of bad.

Well, I had no intention of watching it, but you convinced me. Mother! is a 7/10 for me, a lot more interesting than most of the stuff I watch now through Netflix and other crappy services.

As for my night times...

Scanners II: The New Order - very weak and bleak follow-up to another cult classic. 2/10

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Serenity
2.5 out of 4stars

Ambitious mystery/suspense film with an awkward style of delivery. The more you hear about this movie the easier the film will be spoiled for you, that's a warning if you have any interest in seeing this and that's why I will keep this review secluded from any possible spoilers. I honestly don't get the vast majority of hatred and low reviews for this film beyond the "difficult style to take in" ( which you need you're brain on to follow and it's probably a B or so on Kihei's rating list in this department) and more so twist that comes in about 2/3 of the movie. I enjoyed the film and it kept my attention throughout.

That said, I let the film and twist marinate in my head overnight to see how I felt about it, and the twist still works well and ties the film together quite well. Imperfect? Maybe. Farfetched? Not at all given the circumstances and preceding and following events. And it earns the sympathy it creates for very serious subject and brings up good points on a moral gray area and an interesting "psychological" "character study" too. Unpopular is the only good answer I have for people not liking the twist. It's far from a stupid a film. Could this film have been a good film and worked without the twist? Sure, albeit a less impacting film imo. Obviously I'd prefer a second opinion on this movie, but I am very surprised at the animosity coming in reviews for this film other than the audience feeling "duped" and angry at the twist, for the most part.

And a little bit too much naked McConaughey for me, but he's in tremendous shape so whatever. Ha.
Good Lord, OzzyFan, what movie did you see? :huh:

Why critics, including this one (wink), dislike it so...

* The first 15 minutes is stolen from Jaws.

* The acting is horrible - M.M. is so over the top.

* Matthew M's character makes NO sense. I mean, why is he so angry? He has a beautiful woman paying HIM for sex so... How bad could life be?

* The plot / story makes NO sense.

* Writer/Director Steven Knight threw everything, including the Matrix-esk kitchen sink, at the audience and hoped something stuck. For me, nothing did.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad