Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +1

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Into The Spider-Verse (2018) - 7/10

A good movie but disappointing as I was expecting much better based on the ratings. The visuals were good and it was funny but felt like a standard kids superhero film, I guess people are easily impressed by good visuals. The Toby McGuire Spider-Man films and Homecoming were honestly better imo. I never got a really good sense of tension here and the cartoonish action didn't do the spot for me. It's like those Justice League animated films, good but never great and never as good as a well-done live-action superhero movie. Despite its attempt at being meta, it was a standard superhero movie at the end of the day.

Spider-Ham was hilarious though, whoever thought of casting John Mulaney in that role is a genius lol. Also I can't stand the music in the film.

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Crimes of Grimwald or whatever.

0/10

Jumped all over the place. Didn't build up any care for the characters so I didn't even pay enough attention to know what was the point of the final battle. Took a short nap after I cooked a meal half way through the movie.

Just skip it and go for coffee with your friends.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

A good movie but disappointing as I was expecting much better based on the ratings. The visuals were good and it was funny but felt like a standard kids superhero film, I guess people are easily impressed by good visuals. The Toby McGuire Spider-Man films and Homecoming were honestly better imo. I never got a really good sense of tension here and the cartoonish action didn't do the spot for me. It's like those Justice League animated films, good but never great and never as good as a well-done live-action superhero movie. Despite its attempt at being meta, it was a standard superhero movie at the end of the day.
Agree. Well said.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
alex-1.jpg

Free Solo
(2018) Directed by Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin (documentary) 8A

Free Solo
, this year's Academy Award winner in the documentary category, certainly lives up to its hype. Alex Honnold, who climbs without ropes or other aids, faces his greatest challenge--conquering the sheer face of Yosemite Parks 3000 ft El Capitan, perhaps the greatest challenge there is in solo climbing. Most of the movie deals with Alex's preparation, during which we learn an awful lot about him. He is calm, likeable in a semi-aloof way, single-minded, and utterly fearless. He has a pretty girlfriend who balances her needs and his needs for the moment at least, but she is no competition when it comes to the thrill of climbing sheer cliffs, an activity to which Honnold has dedicated his life. Noted in the documentary is the not surprising fact that men such as Alex don't have a long life expectancy--most of his colleagues in this endeavour are already dead. When we get to the actual attempt to climb El Capitain, the footage is thrilling and the stakes could not be greater. As a white-knuckle thrill ride documentary, Free Solo matches Senna in its visceral intensity. From me, that's high praise.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Spider-Ham was hilarious though, whoever thought of casting John Mulaney in that role is a genius lol. Also I can't stand the music in the film.
I feel like virtually every superhero movie that thinks it's putting a unique spin on the genre ends up being guilty of this. Deadpool, Logan, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. It all just ends up becoming completely by-the-numbers standard fare.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
alex-1.jpg

Free Solo
(2018) Directed by Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin (documentary) 8A

Free Solo
, this year's Academy Award winner in the documentary category, certainly lives up to its hype. Alex Honnold, who climbs without ropes or other aids, faces his greatest challenge--conquering the sheer face of Yosemite Parks 3000 ft El Capitan, perhaps the greatest challenge there is in solo climbing. Most of the movie deals with Alex's preparation, during which we learn an awful lot about him. He is calm, likeable in a semi-aloof way, single-minded, and utterly fearless. He has a pretty girlfriend who balances her needs and his needs for the moment at least, but she is no competition when it comes to the thrill of climbing sheer cliffs, an activity to which Honnold has dedicated his life. Noted in the documentary is the not surprising fact that men such as Alex don't have a long life expectancy--most of his colleagues in this endeavour are already dead. When we get to the actual attempt to climb El Capitain, the footage is thrilling and the stakes could not be greater. As a white-knuckle thrill ride documentary, Free Solo matches Senna in its visceral intensity. From me, that's high praise.
I wasn't sure how to feel about Honnold - I did NOT find him "likable", I found him selfish. No man is an island and he doesn't give a thought to how his death might affect his family or gf.

Having said that, it's his life and he can do with it what he wants. Plus, his pretty little girlfriend doesn't need to be with him - I'm sure there are millions of guys who would give their eye teeth to have a girlfriend like her - pretty, nice, supportive, loyal.

It is an amazing doc. I'm curious to see how other posters felt about Mr. Honnold.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
One last comment about young Mr. Alex Honnold…

At first, he reminded me of the extreme athletes who do crazy things, and then when things go bad, and they always eventually do, they want other people to risk their lives to save them. However, Honnold is not in that category. There is NO "saving" in what he does. There is success and death, with nothing in between, so my earlier criticism is not applicable.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
4e2511222a309c713952cb03c41970e8.png

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
(2019) Directed by Dean Deblois 4A

Whereas the first two movies in the trilogy were charming and magical, The Hidden World feels a lot like product for the sake of product. Dragon romance is fun, but the rest of the movie seems perfunctory, an excuse for flashy animation but with a cardboard villain and no feel this time for story. The final twenty minutes or so, when the movie gets to its real purpose of bringing the trilogy to a close, represent a big improvement over what has preceded it so far in the movie, but by this time the air has just about totally escaped from the balloon. Such wonderful characters deserve a better fate than this.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Overlord

with people. Nobody you'd know. Except Bokeem Woodbine, but he dies in like ten minutes.

June 5 1944. Day before D-Day Europe. The invasion is nigh, the ships are loaded, and the planes with advance airborne troops are flying high. One plane in particular bears a platoon tasked with knocking out a radio station based in a church somewhere in Normandy. We follow a very nervous GI named Boyce. He's really nervous. Like, how the hell did you join the army...? Oh, right. You were drafted. Well then, grab your helmet, Boyce. Because your plane is taking fire. Like, a lot of fire. And now it's on fire. And going down. So jump!

...and he does, landing with a splash in the lake, losing all his equipment and explosives. Boyce manages to find a few survivors from his unit, and off they go to try to knock out their target before the ships land. They quickly run into a comely French lass scavenging and take refuge in her house. The plot thickens as not only are the Nazis all over the place, they're up to some seriously evil shit in their base. Even more evil than usual for Nazis kind of shit, too. Which is pretty damn evil, isn't it. Hostages go in but don't come back out. Well, sometimes they do, but then they're horribly twisted and blowtorched to death ASAP. Truckloads of dead bodies are still being moved in, so there's an opening for our Allied heroes to sneak in and save the day. Yeah, anything needing truckloads of dead bodies should really raise some red flags.

Pretty bad. Not a lot of suspense, not a lot of gore, and not a lot of sense.

Don't bother.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Fighting with My Family
2.50 out of 4stars

Above average underdog success story thanks to all it's likable characters across the board, pacing, overabundance of humanizing, heart, and humor. Don't get me wrong though, it does fall into a number of cliches and is fairly predictable, thus the 2.50 rating.

The Upside
2.35 out of 4stars

Never saw the original. A tale about 2 broken lives meeting by coincidence and making each other's lives better as they learn and grow together and find meaning again in their lives. There are flashes of humor, fun, and wisdom sprinkled here and there, but the script is too weak and the ending/closure felt a bit thrown together and rushed. Cranston and Hart are good though. As I assume with the original, given the characters and subject matter in play, their is/was potential for something much greater than a decent forgettable movie involving a poor freed ex-con, newly paraplegic billionaire, broken family(-ies), completely different backgrounds, etc.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
birdsofpassage-640x298.jpg

Birds of Paradise (2018) Directed by Christina Gallego and Ciro Guerra 7A

Perhaps the first genuine drug cartel was a very odd one. In Columbia, in the late ‘60s and ‘70s, a small group of indigenous people find there is money to be made in selling marijuana to US college students. What begins as a mom-and-pop operation soon grows into a multi-million dollar business and brings with it chaos and the possibility of war between the two leading families in the region. Part of a traditional culture, both families try to respect their ancestors’ values for a short time at least, but violent circumstances leave no place for traditional ways of behaving. Produced and directed by the team responsible for Embrace of the Serpeant, it is no surprise that the movie spends so much time on indigenous cultural details. The grandmother of one of the clans is a strong matriarch who does her best to shield her family with talismans and offerings, but strong though she is, she is way over her head in this new world of drug trafficking. While the main culprit in the movie is a violent and devious son, trouble waiting to happen, the movie shows the way drug trafficking can erode an entire community whose values simply can’t cope with what is going on around them. Despite the odd dramatic lapse here and there, Birds of Passage is a fresh take on an old story.

subtitles

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Stray [2019] :

Stray is a well written, well acted and well directed police thriller. Unfortunately, a Japanese voodoo story line detracts from what could have been a terrific movie.

6/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Music Box (1989).

American attorney defends her (proudly Americanized) immigrant father from WW2 war crime charges. Set in it's contemporary time (late '8os), it mirrored some real life instances of (Nazi collaborator) war crime trials/hunts.
I've watched it a couple times over the years.. heavy & well-acted.. one of my favorite dramas.

I rate it 8.5 (on 10 point scale).

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The most disturbing movie about WW2. If you aren't sure about your mental state, don't watch it. But I rate it 9/10. It's about young Soviet partisan, who witnessed a Belorussian village's destruction by nazis.

Last edited:

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Alita: Battle Angel (dir. Robert Rodriguez)

Probably one of the worst movies I've seen in the theatre. Horrible dialogue, cliche story, incredible lack of character development. This movie really has it all when it comes to being terrible. And then the acting...oh God the acting. Even Christoph Waltz and Mahershala Ali are completely phoning it in here (though I have to admit, I did get a bit of a kick out of Waltz hamming it up at points). The main romantic plot is so bad that I was actually laughing out loud a some points.

But none of those are even my biggest complaint. The ending is. It literally just stops in the middle of the 3rd act. I'll sit through 2 hours of a bad movie no problem, but at least wrap your story up instead of sequel baiting for a movie that's probably not going to happen.

I will give the movie credit for it's technical proficiency - it's generally shot well, the CGI is top notch yadda yadda. And the action scenes were easy to follow and well choreographed (but incredibly cheesy as well). But my praise ends right there. Just a bad, bad movie.

2/10

On a side note - this pretty much solidifies my opinion that James Cameron is one of the most overrated filmmakers of all time. I have no idea how someone who hasn't made anything resembling a good movie in over 25 years gets as much praise as he does. And his attitude towards other filmmakers despite his general hackery even more so lowers my opinion of him.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Wrong Turn 6 [2014] :

I never saw any of the first 5, but if number 6 is any indication, I didn't miss much.

Only pretty / sexy Aqueela Zoll makes an impression.

1.5 / 10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:
Reactions: Violenza Domestica

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Baby Driver - 8/10

Really great direction by Edgar Wright. I love the way the scenes and music were weaved together, it was such a well-executed and edited movie. There was also an impressive long-take near the beginning of the movie, and I enjoy seeing that kind of technical prowess. Performances were good across the board, Ansel Elgort in the lead role was definitely the MVP.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Wonder Woman - What's up with DC's films? The Marvel films are dumb, but most of them are still fun and entertaining. Barely got through this one, and I'm supposed to watch Justice League and it looks even worse... 2/10

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I just watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I’m not going to give a rating because I don’t want to get screamed at. Can someone at least explain why this movie is so highly regarded? It was one of the most not funny comedies I’ve ever watched. Was I just not born in the right era to find it funny?
YOUR MOTHER WAS A HAMSTER AND YOUR FATHER SMELLS OF ELDERBERRIES NOW GO AWAY I DONT WANT TO TALK TO YEW!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Leaving Neverland [2019] :

Part 1 is the better of the 2 parts, but I had to fast forward through the "intimate" details of what Michael Jackson did - it is simply too difficult to listen to.

Part 2 is interesting / educational but very long.

That talented piece of garbage ruined a lot of lives... in plain sight !!! Shame on us for looking the other way. May he rot in hell.

7/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I guess it’s all subjective right? Blue Velvet was fantastic, but Get Out really knocked me flat. Just an amazingly tense, atmospheric movie. You might feel the opposite, but I’m sure you’ll like Get Out.

What are Lynch’s next best movies, in your opinion?

Mulholland Drive is one of the best films of the 2000's and a must see if you liked Blue Velvet. The Elephant Man and Wild At Heart are more accessible but Mulholland Dr. is his magnum opus. It may take multiple viewings to get a grip on it, but it's one of the most intense experiences I've had watching a film in theaters, along with the second act of Magnolia.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
One last comment about young Mr. Alex Honnold…

At first, he reminded me of the extreme athletes who do crazy things, and then when things go bad, and they always eventually do, they want other people to risk their lives to save them. However, Honnold is not in that category. There is NO "saving" in what he does. There is success and death, with nothing in between, so my earlier criticism is not applicable.

Yeah, I think Im on his "side" in it for similar reasons. He isn't doing it to glory whore. He's doing it because it is legitimately what he loves to do more than anything in the world.

Also, it shows more in this doc, but I've seen a lot of videos/mini docs on him. He's always struck me as someone who is on the autism spectrum. The part of the doc about his dad looks like it added more evidence to that.

But overall, I agree. It was a great documentary that was thrilling, drew you in, and story building wise was very well done

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah, I think Im on his "side" in it for similar reasons. He isn't doing it to glory ****e. He's doing it because it is legitimately what he loves to do more than anything in the world.

Also, it shows more in this doc, but I've seen a lot of videos/mini docs on him. He's always struck me as someone who is on the autism spectrum. The part of the doc about his dad looks like it added more evidence to that.

But overall, I agree. It was a great documentary that was thrilling, drew you in, and story building wise was very well done
You make some good points. It's his life and if he wants to risk it, who am I to judge? Still, I did NOT find him likable.

The most curious person in the film : his pretty little girlfriend...

What the heck does she see in the guy?

Anyway, BEST doc I have seen in a LONG time.

Last edited:

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Happytime Murders, a 5 or 6 out of 10. Not nearly as bad as the reviews made it out to be. Like, I don't get the hate for this movie but the good reviews for Sausage Party, both are one trick ponys when it comes to the humor in them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad