Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Movie-mber Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
The Piano Teacher [La Pianiste] (2001) directed by Michael Haneke

After watching Juliette Binoche last night, I had to watch the other pillar of great French actresses, Isabelle Huppert tonight. In this one she plays a sexually repressed piano teachers who lives with her controlling mother (Annie Girardot) who develops a crush for one of her students (Benoît Magimel) and lets loose her BDSM desires. Art house meets 50 Shades of Grey. Huppert is fantastic in this one, as usual, and her role is reminiscent of her role in Elle from 2016. Like Elle, this is a difficult watch due to the last 15 minutes or so which involves a very graphic rape scene. I need a stiff drink now after watching this.

Happy Valentines Day.

Also technically a hockey movie

Reactions: kihei

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
The Piano Teacher [La Pianiste] (2001) directed by Michael Haneke

After watching Juliette Binoche last night, I had to watch the other pillar of great French actresses, Isabelle Huppert tonight. In this one she plays a sexually repressed piano teachers who lives with her controlling mother (Annie Girardot) who develops a crush for one of her students (Benoît Magimel) and lets loose her BDSM desires. Art house meets 50 Shades of Grey. Huppert is fantastic in this one, as usual, and her role is reminiscent of her role in Elle from 2016. Like Elle, this is a difficult watch due to the last 15 minutes or so which involves a very graphic rape scene. I need a stiff drink now after watching this.

Happy Valentines Day.

Also technically a hockey movie

There is one scene, and it does not even show any game action. That scene could have happened anywhere, and it would have had the same effect.
:laugh:

I would actually recommend the book too. I was surprised how closely it followed the original work.

Reactions: Pink Mist

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Switching Channels (1988) - 5/10 (Didn't like or dislike it)

This modernized version of The Front Page and His Girl Friday switches the newspaper setting out for a 24-hour television news station. Kathleen Turner and Burt Reynolds are in top form and have good chemistry as the principle news people. Reportedly, the two actors fought on set and came to hate one another. No wonder their playing of a formerly married couple felt authentic. Christopher Reeve is her new love interest and is a bit wasted. Apparently, he took the role because Michael Caine (whom he starred with in Deathtrap) was originally set to have Reynolds' role, but was delayed filming Jaws: The Revenge, of all of things. Reeve may've been trying to distance himself from the Superman movies because his character is vain, rich and not so likable, but couldn't completely because there were two obvious allusions to them, one of them being a scene in which his character has a nervous breakdown because he's afraid of heights, which was probably pretty amusing to audiences in the 80s. Speaking of jokes, the film has enough of them to make things a bit entertaining, especially in the first half, with one liners thrown that would make Cary Grant proud. It turns more screwball in the second half and, ironically, less funny the harder that it tries for laughs. It loses some steam as it goes on, kind of like this review, though it stays watchable, thanks to the original story, good performances and solid direction. It's one of the weakest adaptations and was a box office failure, so I expected worse. It works as a somewhat fun 80s comedy, but is also rather unremarkable, especially compared to the better adaptations that preceded it.

Last edited:

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
i have some kind of a ot question... i am searching for a movie i saw 10 years ago

i forgot the name and the actors... could be from 2000 +/-10 years, anyway its a bit of a thriller/mysterie movie.

the plot is about a father who is self-proclaimed chosen by god to detect evil/bad people, so he goes to missions with his young kids and captures these people and kills them... as the movie goes on the kids start to have doubts and get into a conflict with the father... i dont want to spoil to much here but this should be enough to name the movie...

the funny thing is, i have distinct imagination of face of the father but i cant recollect other movies with this actor to find via imdb... first i thought it was tim robbins or charles grodin but no luck...

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
i have some kind of a ot question... i am searching for a movie i saw 10 years ago

i forgot the name and the actors... could be from 2000 +/-10 years, anyway its a bit of a thriller/mysterie movie.

the plot is about a father who is self-proclaimed chosen by god to detect evil/bad people, so he goes to missions with his young kids and captures these people and kills them... as the movie goes on the kids start to have doubts and get into a conflict with the father... i dont want to spoil to much here but this should be enough to name the movie...

the funny thing is, i have distinct imagination of face of the father but i cant recollect other movies with this actor to find via imdb... first i thought it was tim robbins or charles grodin but no luck...

Frailty - Paxton, 2001.

Reactions: kmart

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
2nights.jpg

2 yötä aamuun
(2 Nights Till Morning, Kuparinen, 2015) - I guess this is a distant cousin to Before Sunrise / Before Sunset : two strangers from different origins (she's French, he's Am... nah Finnish) meeting in another country (here, Lithuania) and having a plane to catch the next morning... How romantic (?). Now just imagine that she's an insufferable bitch and that he's kind of an uninteresting stiff, and way too patient - it kind of kills the vibe. The whole thing remains pretty superficial, but fun to see a Québécoise in a Finnish film. 4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino