Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Movie-mber Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Serendipity (2001) - 6.5/10

Jeremy Piven....what a waste of talent on mediocre films.

This movie is pretty damn bad in terms of plot and loading up on romcom cliches BUT it is saved quite strongly through the old Kate Beckinsdale/John Cusack charm and the nostalgic late-90s/early-00s urban setting which is captures extremely well from the cinematography here, even if it was accidental.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
128081224.jpeg

Two of Us
(2020) Directed by Filipo Meneghetti 7A

Nina (Barbara Sukowa) and Madeleine (Martine Chevalier), two retired women, have been lovers for years. However, Madeleine’s grown-up children who live nearby don’t know about their relationship nor that they live across the hall from one another. When Madeleine has a serious stroke, a stroke that Nina fears she might have helped induce, their lives change completely. Madeleine’s daughter Anne (Lea Drucker) hires a house keeper to look after her mother, and Nina is marginalized but still desperate to care for her old friend. Two of Us is primarily about Nina’s attempts to reunite with Madeline in some fashion and Anne’s dawning awareness of the situation. The acting by the three principals is absolutely flawless. This movie is France’s entry into the International Film Oscar sweepstakes, and it makes a very strong claim. Two of Us is one of the best love stories of the past decade.

subtitles

TIFF.net

2020 Update

1) Nomadland, Zhao, US
2) First Cow, Reichardt, US
3) Small Axe: Lovers Rock, McQueen, UK
4) Never Rarely Sometimes Always, Hittman, US
5) Collective, Nanau, Romania
6) Beginning, Kulumbegashvili, Georgia
7) Two of Us, Meneghetti, France
8) Promising Young Woman, Fennel, US/UK
9) The Sound of Metal, Marder, US
10) Babyteeth, Murphy, Australia

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Doctor Sleep (2019) - 3/10 (Really disliked it)

I finally made it to the end of this. I started it about 6 months ago, got bored 20 minutes in and stopped. I revisited it several times since and didn't get much further. I finally committed myself to finishing it tonight and, yeah, I don't get the glowing reviews. I found it too long, boring, aimless, confusing and not at all scary or even atmospheric. Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of The Shining, but I re-watched it before starting this sequel and at least it's paced well, easier to follow, beautifully shot and atmospheric. Unfortunately, the best parts of this one are all of the things that remind you of that original (the hotel, the music, the shots, the characters and the scene re-enactments). A good sequel should be able to stand on its own and this one doesn't, IMO. Its whole purpose seems to be to remind people of the original. Also, it ends with the lamest message:
"Shine on." Really? The kid is given positive reinforcement to no longer hide her shine from the world, as if it's just a personal quirk rather than a superpower that could ruin her life if others find out and as if this is an after-school special or children's cartoon rather than an R-rated horror movie.
Anyways, I must be missing something because I didn't like this like the overwhelming majority of critics and audiences did.

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
They Shoot Horses, dOn'T ThEy? (1969) - 8/10

Gotta love the style of 70s films, it's messy and bleak but pretty captivating to watch. There's often a lack of focus on where a Pollack film is going but I feel this one didn't suffer much from that. The one issue is maybe how the characters feel incomplete. I feel like I know each of the leads is damaged but it never goes very deep into why. Jane Fonda's character for example feels like she's suicidal due to some sort of trauma that is never explained and the other lead looks like he's a blank canvas to basically just be in scenes beside Fonda.

All About Mi Madre (1999) - 7/10

Stylish stuff, I thought this is eerily similar in tone to Talk To Her and then realized it's the same director. I guess I have similar complaints about how sudden everything from each character is but his style is almost like a faster-paced polished mumblecore which is generally entertaining to watch but where all emotion falls flat like it's artificial or part of a play.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Under the Silver Lake, Directed by David Robert Mitchell , 6.0

Under_the_Silver_Lake.png

As a crazy-ass neo-noir film dealing with conspiracies and paranoia, I suppose I'd give this cult film an 8.0, but overall, it lasted a half hour too long and my trigger finger was itching to fast it forward during the second half (hence the final 6.0 tally). The first half starts well enough though, the protagonist (Andrew Garfield) sets out to investigate the sudden disappearance of his neighbour (Riley Keough), only to stumble upon a number of dark mysteries and conspiracies. I watched it sober but I'd highly recommend some cannabis for this one (legal in Canada), I'm sure it would help the mood. On a sidebar note, the actress Kiley Keough in real life is Elvis Presley's grand-daughter (interesting tid-bit of useless info for the film).

Most of the film mysteries are solved by the protagonist during his crazy adventures in LA. But they also leave a lot unanswered. The one mystery that is left very open though is 'who is the dog killer'.
I came to the conclusion it was the protagonist (Garfield himself) because he had dog biscuits in his pocket to attract his victims, although your own conclusions here might differ).

Crazy movie, I recommend it if you have time to kill watching a crazy movie. Quite Q-Anon-like for this era.

Under the Silver Lake movie review (2019) | Roger Ebert

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Went down an expected 1980s rabbit hole recently. Was watching something on Tubi and the “next up” option was just intriguing enough I decided to keep riding it until it bucked me off...

Miracle Mile. This was the movie I actually picked. Honestly had never heard of it but someone I follow on Twitter was touting it so I tracked it down. (Funny enough I am very familiar with writer-director Steve De Jarnatt’s previous movie Cherry 2000). Anthony Edwards stars as a love-struck dude who oversleeps on a date with his dream lady only to wake up and learn nuclear apocalypse may be nigh. Elements of 80s teenage romp, mixed with night from hell madness. Ultimately almost impressively bleak. I wouldn’t quite say it’s good, but I appreciated it and it stuck with me.

Then Tubi offers up The Final Countdown.
A modern (circa 1980) nuclear aircraft carrier is magically transported back to Dec. 6, 1941 right as the Japanese were prepping to attack Pearl Harbor. This is a really good premise! The movie is not good! It’s really one of the most pointless movie watching ventures I’ve gone on in sometime. Aside from two quick sequences it isn’t an action movie. But it’s also not really a sci-fi/time travel/philosophical think piece. Sure there are conversations about whether or not they should stop the attack but it’s perfunctory and not really substantial. Everything resolves incredibly easily without much sweat broken or blood shed. It didn’t make me ask why I watched it, but it did make me ask why this story exists in this exact way.

Then Tubi offers up The Philadelphia Experiment.
Like The Final Countdown, I remember this as a title in the HBO Guide or a VHS box on a shelf, but have never actually seen it. While I did know what The Final Countdown was about, I did not know this one (I think my wires were crossed with My Science Project ... another 80s time travel joint). While The Final Countdown took modern military and sent it to WWII, this takes two WWII Navy boys and sends them to modern times. A mostly predictable (and forgettable) race-against-time tale. There were a couple of chase sequences that were pretty good for the time and though the effects are dated firmly in the 80s, I kinda had a nostalgic liking to that as well. The big anchor on this sinking ship is its star, Michael Pare. Pretty face. Sly Stallone vocal inflections. But he’s a milquetoast dud of a lead. That said I’ll defend the Pare-staring Streets of Fire until the day I die!

Then Tubi decides I need to watch Virus (Also sometimes called Day of Resurrection).
I genuinely had never heard of this movie. Directed by Kinji Fukasaku (the Yakuza Papers series, Battle Royale) it has an international scope and cast. Given that plus its subject matter plus a nearly three hour run time, I wondered if this was a TV movie at some point. Never researched. But the U.S. actors include George Kennedy, Robert Vaughn, Chuck Connors and Bo Svenson so it’s real TV-movie-grade talent here (again, circa 1980). A virus wipes out most of the population save a united nations of survivors in Antarctica. Honestly liked this more than I would have guessed. The first third is the gradual demise of most of the planet as seen from several perspectives. The President’s speech in this sure plays different than it would have a year ago I’ll tell you that. The second third (and perhaps the most interesting stretch) is the survivors figuring out how to govern themselves and move forward. The nice touch is there really isn’t any human villain. The people have similar goals. It’s the virus and technology that’s the problem. The last third turns more toward an action movie. At nearly three hours I can’t give it a raving recommendation, but I am glad that I stuck it out. It’s steady and sober and almost low-key given the topic.

Then Tubi wanted me to watch The Final Countdown again so I quit the game.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Disclaimer: I don't like the F4, never did. Even as a kid, they've always felt like "my uncle's superheroes".

God this nails my issue as well. I've never felt any big affinity or interest in the Fantastic Four either and I think you very concisely sum up why. There's a bit of baked-in old fashionedness that just isn't my vibe.

I will say that at the urging of a friend I began reading the John Byrne run of FF comics from the 80s and it's perfectly fine and entertaining. But it's not exactly converting me either.

Movie-wise, I watched the Josh Trank one not too long ago and found it to be somehow even worse than it's considerably low reputation.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Went down an expected 1980s rabbit hole recently. Was watching something on Tubi and the “next up” option was just intriguing enough I decided to keep riding it until it bucked me off...

Miracle Mile. This was the movie I actually picked. Honestly had never heard of it but someone I follow on Twitter was touting it so I tracked it down. (Funny enough I am very familiar with writer-director Steve De Jarnatt’s previous movie Cherry 2000). Anthony Edwards stars as a love-struck dude who oversleeps on a date with his dream lady only to wake up and learn nuclear apocalypse may be nigh. Elements of 80s teenage romp, mixed with night from hell madness. Ultimately almost impressively bleak. I wouldn’t quite say it’s good, but I appreciated it and it stuck with me.

Then Tubi offers up The Final Countdown.
A modern (circa 1980) nuclear aircraft carrier is magically transported back to Dec. 6, 1941 right as the Japanese were prepping to attack Pearl Harbor. This is a really good premise! The movie is not good! It’s really one of the most pointless movie watching ventures I’ve gone on in sometime. Aside from two quick sequences it isn’t an action movie. But it’s also not really a sci-fi/time travel/philosophical think piece. Sure there are conversations about whether or not they should stop the attack but it’s perfunctory and not really substantial. Everything resolves incredibly easily without much sweat broken or blood shed. It didn’t make me ask why I watched it, but it did make me ask why this story exists in this exact way.

Then Tubi offers up The Philadelphia Experiment.
Like The Final Countdown, I remember this as a title in the HBO Guide or a VHS box on a shelf, but have never actually seen it. While I did know what The Final Countdown was about, I did not know this one (I think my wires were crossed with My Science Project ... another 80s time travel joint). While The Final Countdown took modern military and sent it to WWII, this takes two WWII Navy boys and sends them to modern times. A mostly predictable (and forgettable) race-against-time tale. There were a couple of chase sequences that were pretty good for the time and though the effects are dated firmly in the 80s, I kinda had a nostalgic liking to that as well. The big anchor on this sinking ship is its star, Michael Pare. Pretty face. Sly Stallone vocal inflections. But he’s a milquetoast dud of a lead. That said I’ll defend the Pare-staring Streets of Fire until the day I die!

Then Tubi decides I need to watch Virus (Also sometimes called Day of Resurrection).
I genuinely had never heard of this movie. Directed by Kinji Fukasaku (the Yakuza Papers series, Battle Royale) it has an international scope and cast. Given that plus its subject matter plus a nearly three hour run time, I wondered if this was a TV movie at some point. Never researched. But the U.S. actors include George Kennedy, Robert Vaughn, Chuck Connors and Bo Svenson so it’s real TV-movie-grade talent here (again, circa 1980). A virus wipes out most of the population save a united nations of survivors in Antarctica. Honestly liked this more than I would have guessed. The first third is the gradual demise of most of the planet as seen from several perspectives. The President’s speech in this sure plays different than it would have a year ago I’ll tell you that. The second third (and perhaps the most interesting stretch) is the survivors figuring out how to govern themselves and move forward. The nice touch is there really isn’t any human villain. The people have similar goals. It’s the virus and technology that’s the problem. The last third turns more toward an action movie. At nearly three hours I can’t give it a raving recommendation, but I am glad that I stuck it out. It’s steady and sober and almost low-key given the topic.

Then Tubi wanted me to watch The Final Countdown again so I quit the game.

I remember liking The Philadelphia Experiment as a kid, but don't remember much and I don't think I've seen the other ones. Maybe it's Tubi time.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I remember liking The Philadelphia Experiment as a kid, but don't remember much and I don't think I've seen the other ones. Maybe it's Tubi time.

Rereading what I wrote, I think I'm selling Miracle Mile a little short. I can't quite place my finger on what is holding me back with it though. Perhaps it is the inherent oddness of something that transitions from John Hughes to After Hours to The Day After. That progression actually makes senses but it's still a bunch of weird tones to wrestle with. Mare Willingham doesn't really do it for me though ... so perhaps that's part of it.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Greenland (Waugh, 2020) - Disaster movies are rarely much more than just that. This one doesn't totally escape this predicament, but is surely (at least a little) better than the usual suspects when you think of the genre. Suspense and tension are at times efficient, but it's really thin and since it leans a lot on multiplying plot twist, might have been better suited as a short tv series. The whole ending is quite dumb and would have worked better as a grand scale tragedy. 4/10

Reactions: kihei and Osprey

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
  • Another Round” (Denmark) – directed Thomas Vinterberg
  • Better Days” (Hong Kong) – directed by Derek Tsang
  • Charlatan” (Czech Republic) – directed by Agnieszka Holland
  • Collective” (Romania) – directed by Alexander Nanau
  • Dear Comrades!” (Russia) – directed by
  • I’m No Longer Here” (Mexico) – directed by Fernando Frias
  • Hope” (Norway) – directed by Maria Sødahl
  • La Llorona” (Guatemala) – directed by Jayro Bustamante
  • The Mole Agent” (Chile) – directed by Maite Alberdi
  • Night of the Kings” (Ivory Coast) – Philippe Lacôte
  • Quo Vadis, Aida?” (Bosnia and Herzegovina) – directed by Jasmila Žbanić
  • Sun Children” (Iran) – directed by Majid Majidi
  • Two of Us” (France) – directed by Filippo Meneghetti
  • A Sun” (Taiwan) – directed by Chung Mong-hong
  • The Man Who Sold His Skin” (Tunisia) – directed by Kaouther Ben Hania
  • --Variety Magazine
Good news on one front. Hope makes the short list of international films for this year's Oscars. Unlikely to go further, but such recognition probably means it will show up on streaming channels and DVD sales.

Reactions: Pink Mist

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
From the list, I have only watched 2 of them, and heard of 2. I honestly cannot gauge the quality this year.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
From the list, I have only watched 2 of them, and heard of 2. I honestly cannot gauge the quality this year.
I've seen eight of the fifteen films that made the cut. I would rate it a below par year for international film with some cream right at the top for nominated Internatonal films: Hope, Two of Us, Dear Comrades, with Another Round (the current favourite) a good step behind those three but still a worthy film.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Greenland (Waugh, 2020) - Disaster movies are rarely much more than just that. This one doesn't totally escape this predicament, but is surely (at least a little) better than the usual suspects when you think of the genre. Suspense and tension are at times efficient, but it's really thin and since it leans a lot on multiplying plot twist, might have been better suited as a short tv series. The whole ending is quite dumb and would have worked better as a grand scale tragedy. 4/10
My elder daughter and I are Gerald Butler fans. We were eagerly awaiting Greenland and we treated it like our own little Midnight Madness movie. Popped some popcorn and hollered at the screen frequently things like "Forget the kid. f*** the insulin" and "Does he have a teleporter or what?" We had a good time, and, yes, we thought Greenland was a cut above most mega-disaster movies, that it had more heart--though we were grievously disappointed there wasn't at least one tsunami and could have used way more CGI destruction than we got.

Our mocking, though, is good-natured. We both like Butler, who seems to be your basic Aussie bloke and a good guy who always gives what value that he can to his incredibly long list of bad movies. I hope Greenland is a hit for him.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
My elder daughter and I are Gerald Butler fans. We were eagerly awaiting Greenland and we treated it like our own little Midnight Madness movie. Popped some popcorn and hollered at the screen frequently things like "Forget the kid. f*** the insulin" and "Does he have a teleporter or what?" We had a good time, and, yes, we thought Greenland was a cut above most mega-disaster movies, that it had more heart--though we were grievously disappointed there wasn't at least one tsunami and could have used way more CGI destruction than we got.

Our mocking, though, is good-natured. We both like Butler, who seems to be your basic Aussie bloke and a good guy who always gives what value that he can to his incredibly long list of bad movies. I hope Greenland is a hit for him.

Glad you had a good time with a lesser film! Did you two yell at the birds at the end? They're all happy to see them creatures, I was like "Who cares about the f***ing birds? Have you looked around? You're stuck in what little remains of Greenland! You won't feed thousands of people on two birds!". Anyway, it wasn't a complete loss of time, and yeah, I like Butler too most of the time.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
51dBU9w7vkL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Super Snooper (aka Super Fuzz, Corbucci, 1980) - If you don't want your kids to turn out like me (and I guess you don't), just don't feed them Terence Hill and Bud Spencer movies up 'til they're almost 10 (really up until I started watching horror films and nothing else, might not have helped either). This was some of my father's favorite movies, and I must have seen this one a dozen of times as a kid. Never in Italian though (and I think it might have been funnier in French). If you've never seen one, you owe it to yourself. If you've seen one, you know I don't really have to say anything about the film here. So so bad it's grreeaaat! 1/10

Funny thing, Terence Hill is still alive and active. Not too bad for a guy who really started having major roles because he kind of looked like Franco Nero.

@KallioWeHardlyKnewYe - The Philadelphia Experiment is not on Tubi up here! I was so disappointed, only Terence Hill could cheer me up.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
51dBU9w7vkL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Super Snooper (aka Super Fuzz, Corbucci, 1980) - If you don't want your kids to turn out like me (and I guess you don't), just don't feed them Terence Hill and Bud Spencer movies up 'til they're almost 10 (really up until I started watching horror films and nothing else, might not have helped either). This was some of my father's favorite movies, and I must have seen this one a dozen of times as a kid. Never in Italian though (and I think it might have been funnier in French). If you've never seen one, you owe it to yourself. If you've seen one, you know I don't really have to say anything about the film here. So so bad it's grreeaaat! 1/10

Funny thing, Terence Hill is still alive and active. Not too bad for a guy who really started having major roles because he kind of looked like Franco Nero.

@KallioWeHardlyKnewYe - The Philadelphia Experiment is not on Tubi up here! I was so disappointed, only Terence Hill could cheer me up.

I finally got around to watching Something Evil, gracias. Spielberg sure deploys a lot of angles and lighting and editing tricks. It was all in the service of a pretty dull, rote possession story. It interests me that this comes out before The Exorcist, which also uses that almost spotlight effect on a character's eyeballs. Not saying Friedkin lifted it from this. They both probably lifted it from another filmmaker that I either don't know or or can think of. Also the dude in the opening sequence was a dead ringer for Craig T. Nelson. Blew my mind.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Hawk the Slayer. I remain a glutton for 80s garbage and man was this trash. Muddled sword and sorcery flick. Magic sword. Angry relatives. Jack Palance. (I actually didn't know Palance was in this. Then his partially masked character starts talking and I was like whaaaa? This is obviously pre-comeback.) Future solid character actor John Terry is out-of-place as the hero here. He's stiff and boring. Palance is barely trying. A few positives though -- the quick editing when characters shoot bows and crossbows IS BONKERS and the peppy, flute-heavy score deserves to be in a much more fun movie.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Watching Ben-Hur and I have to say my favourite thing about it is the absolute scale. Our big budget movies don't feel like they have this same epicness which Ben-Hur or Lawrence of Arabia has.

Under the Silver Lake, Directed by David Robert Mitchell , 6.0

f*** that mess of a film (and also Inherent Vice), I recommend watching The Kid Detective from 2020. Much less up its own ass unlike these other two films.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I've seen eight of the fifteen films that made the cut. I would rate it a below par year for international film with some cream right at the top for nominated Internatonal films: Hope, Two of Us, Dear Comrades, with Another Round (the current favourite) a good step behind those three but still a worthy film.

I watched two of the ones you listed, which are Hope and Another Round, and I see what you mean. I like Another Round, but at 6.75/10, it is far below the 8 to 9/10 I will give to Hope. The movie is fun in a morbid way, and Mikkelson is one of the most consistent actor of our era, but that is all the praise I can heap at it. That said, I would not mind an Oscar win by Vinterberg, but it is mainly due to the circumstances around the movie and not the quality itself, to be honest.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Watching Ben-Hur and I have to say my favourite thing about it is the absolute scale. Our big budget movies don't feel like they have this same epicness which Ben-Hur or Lawrence of Arabia has.

Modern day "epic" movies feel small to me. They can be crammed with characters and locations, but the overuse of CGI, lack of wide shots and the need for being fast paced detracts from the scale. I just love a good old-fashioned epic in which the director isn't afraid to give us a 20-second wide shot of hundreds or thousands of people in costume for us to drink in and experience greater context.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad