Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Movie-mber Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Eyes Wide Shut - 1999

Stanley Kubrick’s final film stars Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. I watched this movie twice this past week, and although I think it’s an interesting character study, I was underwhelmed by the story and the characters. I think it’s interesting in some ways, but I wish the story of the film was more interesting. It has it’s moments though.

I’d be interested in hearing peoples thoughts on this film, if you’ve seen it. I’ll give it a positive, but mixed rating of 6/10.

Rewards repeated viewings but fairly low on Kubrick's filmography. The performances really aren't that good either. Great premise and some individual moments really stand out. With that said, I don't remember loving the source novel all that much either (Dream Story). @Pranzo Oltranzista adores the film.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Justice League Dark: Apokolips War (2020) - 6/10

Fairly violent but I long for the more low-key 90s era type animated Batman films. This is over the top and extreme making it utterly cliched and ridiculous.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Eyes Wide Shut - 1999

Stanley Kubrick’s final film stars Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. I watched this movie twice this past week, and although I think it’s an interesting character study, I was underwhelmed by the story and the characters. I think it’s interesting in some ways, but I wish the story of the film was more interesting. It has it’s moments though.

I’d be interested in hearing peoples thoughts on this film, if you’ve seen it. I’ll give it a positive, but mixed rating of 6/10.

I'm impressed that you watched it twice in one week. I struggled to get through it once. I found the characters unrelatable, the story uninteresting, the style and themes overdone and the topic not my cup of tea. I didn't get anything out of it, personally, but I think that I see why other people respect it. In fact, it seems to me like an example of a film whose reputation is probably based more on admiration after it's over than enjoyment while actually watching it. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that. It's just sort of opposite of what I value, personally.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Rewards repeated viewings but fairly low on Kubrick's filmography. The performances really aren't that good either. Great premise and some individual moments really stand out. With that said, I don't remember loving the source novel all that much either (Dream Story). @Pranzo Oltranzista adores the film.

Wouldn't say adore, but it would make my top-40. Favorite Kubrick film.

I'm impressed that you watched it twice in one week. I struggled to get through it once. I found the characters unrelatable, the story uninteresting, the style and themes overdone and the topic not my cup of tea. I didn't get anything out of it, personally, but I think that I see why other people respect it. In fact, it seems to me like an example of a film whose reputation is probably based more on admiration after it's over than enjoyment while actually watching it. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that. It's just sort of opposite of what I value, personally.

I think on the contrary that it's a film that's pretty easy to read, with lots of clues through it. I wrote a review of it at the time after seeing it twice on screen - it's not as exhaustive as something you'd write with a little more perspective, but I still had quite a few analytical elements and ideas.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Almost ready to declare 2020 as the worst year in modern film history as someone who doesn't watch horror films or documentaries. There's been a trend where the year finishes strong in Oct-Dec but this one is not doing that. Mank seemed like a hopeful but was an average movie and there isn't a lot of other appetizing stuff coming up or released.

Palm Spring is my favourite of the year so far and it wouldn't even have made my top 20 or 30 of the previous decade.

Reactions: Pink Mist and kihei

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Wouldn't say adore, but it would make my top-40. Favorite Kubrick film.

I think on the contrary that it's a film that's pretty easy to read, with lots of clues through it. I wrote a review of it at the time after seeing it twice on screen - it's not as exhaustive as something you'd write with a little more perspective, but I still had quite a few analytical elements and ideas.

I’d love to read your review of the film if you still have it.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
120726_JointSecurityArea.jpg

Joint Security Area
(2000) Directed by Park Chan-wook 7A

When two North Korean soldiers are killed just barely over the border from South Korea, a crisis with potentially nuclear consequences threatens the region. Through a clever use of flashbacks and flashforwards, Joint Security Area unravels what happened. It is a twisty tale but a fun ride. This is director Park Chan-wook’s first film, and it is already testimony to the exuberance that he brings to filmmaking (The Vengeance Trilogy, his masterwork, will follows shortly after the completion of this film). If a little hard to follow initially, the story is a good one, and everything comes clear eventually. The plot is a clever variation on the theme that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Like our own Xavier Dolan, Park is one of those guys just born to make movies. His films are always a treat to watch, even when the plots aren’t as strong as they are here. Two of South Korea’s most prominent actors, Lee Byung-hun and the ever-dependable Song Kang-ho, provide first-rate performances, as well.

subtitles

Criterion Channel

I really like JSA. I find it rather impressive the amount of depth Park is able to inject into a mainstream flick. Personally, I saw it at least a decade of its initial release, and even though I find the footage and costume rather dated, I still completely emphasize with the message.

I mentioned this before, but I am mixed on Park. I always enjoy his movies, but for some reason, he is never my favourite director, because he is just too mainstream. He has all the talent in the world, but he never really tries to push the medium. I always feel that he is just a tad below greatness, even though it is within his reach.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Almost ready to declare 2020 as the worst year in modern film history as someone who doesn't watch horror films or documentaries. There's been a trend where the year finishes strong in Oct-Dec but this one is not doing that. Mank seemed like a hopeful but was an average movie and there isn't a lot of other appetizing stuff coming up or released.

Palm Spring is my favourite of the year so far and it wouldn't even have made my top 20 or 30 of the previous decade.

I would not say that yet. First Cow and There is No Evil are very good films, though just below masterpiece status, Da Five Bloods is one of Spike Lee's better works, and there are still Pieces of a Woman, Nomadland, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and perhaps Ammonite that I am rather curious about.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
the-shop-around-the-corner-margaret-sullavan-frank-morgan-james-stewart-1940_u-l-ph5mgw0.jpg

The Shop Around the Corner (1940) - 9/10 (Really loved it)

Two shop employees (James Stewart, Margaret Sullavan) quarrel with each other on the job while secretly falling in love as pen pals. This romantic light comedy was the inspiration for 1998's You've Got Mail and takes place largely during the Christmas shopping season. Stewart and Sullavan are terrific while getting to bounce back and forth between being mean to each other and acting romantic at the thought of their secret loves, sometimes in the same scene. It's particular funny whenever she insults him by saying that a man like him would never understand her like her "boyfriend" (who is secretly him) does. It's a nice reminder that we often misjudge people that we work with because we see only a small side of them. Frank Morgan (the wizard in The Wizard of Oz) plays the frazzled manager of the shop who doesn't make life easy for his employees, but still generates sympathy and has a bit of a Scrooge-like redemption, and a few of the other supporting characters add humor. Though the film is often romantic and lighthearted, it doesn't shy away from sad situations and hurt feelings, such as employees not getting along with each other or with the boss and having issues away from work. There's even a suicide attempt. Much like It's a Wonderful Life, though, the darker elements make it more poignant and the inevitable happy ending all the happier. Like Frank Capra, Ernst Lubitsch directs it so masterfully that it's not too sad or too happy, too cynical or too sappy. I saw it a long time ago and realized in re-watching it that I should watch it more often, especially around this time of year. I just feel that it's a perfectly balanced and charming film and that it's a shame that it isn't more well known or even more available (but finally coming to Blu-ray in a few weeks should help).

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back (Kershner, 1980) - Maybe still my favorite SW films, but not as "special" as I remembered. The winter part is pretty cool, the Yoda/Lando parts gives it a better pace than the other films in the series and the darker conclusion sets it apart for a kids flick, but it's still not that good of a film. 5/10

Star Wars - Return of the Jedi (Marquand, 1983) - Maybe it's because I watched the prequels recently, but this one wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered. It feels more comfortable with it's children-oriented material and the sub-par acting is less undermining than in parts 1-2-3. 4/10

If one of you SW nerds could explain how Kershner and Marquand ended up at the helm of big projects like this, I'd be really curious to understand. This material could have been a lot more with better directors.

Rogue One (Edwards, 2016) - I skipped A New Hope, but after RotJ, I remembered that I should have watched Rogue One before the original trilogy... I love that the heroes all die, and the humor is a lot better handled than in all other entries, but it feels like the side project it is. 4.5/10

---

Eye See You (aka D-Tox, Gillepsie, 2002) - I don't get much pleasure from the SW films (I watch them mostly to make it feel like I'm not paying for Disney+ for nothing), but they're still a lot better than this b-movie crap (well, that's not true of the prequels). I like Stallone a lot, but this film has zero stallonish value. I remembered half-way through that I'd seen it before, so even the lame who dunnit fell flat. 2.5/10

Walking Tall (Bray, 2004) - Dwayne Johnson is a very charismatic guy despite his ridiculous shape but I don't think I've seen a single film of his that wasn't completely dumb. This one is kinda fun at times, but couldn't be much dumber - the girl ending up shooting guns in her bra was just the best. 3/10

Spoorloos (Sluizer, 1988) - Feels out of place in this list. The pace is a little rough at times, but what a chilling masterpiece. Probably the best worst ending of all films. 8.5/10

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

One of my long time movie dissensions/beefs is with Nicole Kidman's performance in this movie, particularly her long, stoned monologue. I like her plenty as an actor, but lord do I think she flubs that scene (I'm in a distinct minority on this). She got raves largely for that scene. But she's CLEARLY never smoked pot in her life and plays the whole thing as someone whose knowledge of smoking pot comes from people impersonating other people smoking pot.

That performance is ground zero for one of my biggest movie pet peeves -- actors playing high/drunk who've never been high or drunk in their life.

Takes me right out of a movie.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
If one of you SW nerds could explain how Kershner and Marquand ended up at the helm of big projects like this, I'd be really curious to understand. This material could have been a lot more with better directors.

One of the wilder movie what if's is that David Lynch was at one point considered for ROTJ.

Also, and I might be misremembering, but I believe Spielberg was in line to do one of the sequels, but an issue came up and he had a falling out with the DGA ... or maybe Lucas had a falling out with the DGA. Or maybe the DGA issue was beforehand and that's what stopped Spielberg from doing one ... ANYWAY I sorta recall something like that being an issue.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
ipcress-file-tweed-jacket-2.jpg

The Ipcress File
(1965) Directed by Sidney Furie 7A

The success of the early James Bond movies generated a lot of competition, mostly dumb parodies like the Matt Helm (Dean Martin) and Derek Flint (James Coburn). Howeveer, Harry Palmer (Michael Caine), based on Len Deighton thrillers, was a more serious contender. In comparison with Bond, the milieu couldn't have been more different, much closer to the grubby world of spies that we get in Jean Le Carre works than to Ian Fleming's books. No posh offices, exotic locations and futuristic gadgets for Harry. When we first meet him in The Ipcress File, he is just a bodyguard who for some reason gets promoted up the ladder. His defining features are his horned rim glasses, his insolence and his slight Cockney accent. But if Palmer displeases his snobby superiors, which he frequently does, he at least has a head on his shoulders and can handle the rough stuff if he has to. When a scientist is kidnapped and an agent is killed, it is Harry's responsibility to put the pieces together of a complicated but at least plausible puzzle. Along the way he is helped and hindered by his two bosses, played by Nigel Green and Guy Doleman with gleeful, dueling snootiness. The role fits Caine like a glove, and the result is that The Ipcrss File is a very fun ride.

YouTube

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Eureka (2000) directed by Shinji Aoyama

A murderous bus hijacking in rural Japan leaves three survivors: the bus driver, and two school aged siblings. Two years later, the three are struggling to overcome the grief and shame of surviving and embark on a road trip together on a rented bus. Clocking in at over three and a half hours and shot mostly in sepia tone, this is an quiet and languid epic meditation on the bonds of shared trauma. How each of the characters have processed their trauma is unique, the bus driver immediately ran away for two years and the siblings became mute, but each are struggling to go on living following the hijacking. Although there are some subplots which are contrived, for example the reason the three reunited was because the siblings mother abandoned them and their father died and as a result the siblings were living alone in their house struggling to care for themselves, and there is a forced subplot involving a seral killer, it does a brilliant job of detailing experiencing and moving on from trauma, albeit it is a story that could have been effectively told in under two hours and I don’t think warrants its three and a half hour run time.

Reactions: kihei

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
First Cow - 7/10

Not the masterpiece that it's hailed as, but well worth a watch. The risk you run with minimalist cinema is that the characters and/or story are underdeveloped, and that was the case here IMO.

That said, it had a very different feel to it from most other films, and I will definitely be checking out Kelly Reichardt's other stuff.

Last edited:

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
DevilAndTheDeep22-650x491.jpg

Devil and the Deep-1932

Who is the wife cheating on her husband with: Cary Grant or Gary Cooper or both? A pre code film that would not have looked the same a couple of years later, especially with the star Tallulah Bankhead who was later blacklisted for 'moral turpitude'. Charles Laughton, in his first Hollywood film, gives a hint of his future role in Mutiny on the Bounty. Ok film, watched it for the great cast in early roles. Available on YouTube.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
One of my long time movie dissensions/beefs is with Nicole Kidman's performance in this movie, particularly her long, stoned monologue. I like her plenty as an actor, but lord do I think she flubs that scene (I'm in a distinct minority on this). She got raves largely for that scene. But she's CLEARLY never smoked pot in her life and plays the whole thing as someone whose knowledge of smoking pot comes from people impersonating other people smoking pot.

That performance is ground zero for one of my biggest movie pet peeves -- actors playing high/drunk who've never been high or drunk in their life.

Absolutely one of the scenes I had in mind. I don't know what the hell a demanding director like Kubrick saw there.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa

upload_2020-12-10_17-20-48.png

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

There were other things she did in the movie that I enjoyed. If you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad