Music: Last Album You Listened to and Rate It II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Return of The Durutti Column - 4.5 (Brilliant)
Loved this. Kind of tricks you into feeling that it's just noodling at first, but completely won me over by the end. Requiem For a Father is probably my favorite track, while Beginning and Jazz felt like the weaker ones (albeit were harmless and didn't hurt the cohesiveness of the album).
LC by The Durutti Column - 2.5 (Good)
Still really solid music, but I'm not a fan of the vocals, personally. Definitely don't feel as strongly about it as Return of The Durutti Column.
La Planete Sauvage by Alain Goraguer - 1.5 (Neutral)
More of a cool and interesting curiosity than a great album-- It's incredible to see how much The Unseen by Quasimoto lifted from this soundtrack.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerika

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Return of The Durutti Column - 4.5 (Brilliant)
Loved this. Kind of tricks you into feeling that it's just noodling at first, but completely won me over by the end. Requiem For a Father is probably my favorite track, while Beginning and Jazz felt like the weaker ones (albeit were harmless and didn't hurt the cohesiveness of the album).
LC by The Durutti Column - 2.5 (Good)
Still really solid music, but I'm not a fan of the vocals, personally. Definitely don't feel as strongly about it as Return of The Durutti Column.
La Planete Sauvage by Alain Goraguer - 1.5 (Neutral)
More of a cool and interesting curiosity than a great album-- It's incredible to see how much The Unseen by Quasimoto lifted from this soundtrack.

Favorite Albums

5.0 (Masterpiece)
1. Lick My Decals Off Baby by Captain Beefheart
2. Tago Mago by Can
3. The Velvet Underground & Nico by The Velvet Underground
4. White Light White Heat by The Velvet Underground
5. Here Come the Warm Jets by Brian Eno
6. Fourth World: Possible Musics by Jon Hassell
7. Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt
8. King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown in Augustus Pablo
9. Bootleg 4: Live 1966 by Bob Dylan
10. Rockers Meets King Tubby in a Firehouse by Augustus Pablo
11. Interstellar Space by John Coltrane
12. Future Days by Can
13. The Ascension by Glenn Branca
14. B*tches Brew by Miles Davis
15. Closer by Joy Division
16. Revolver (Mono) by The Beatles

4.5 (Brilliant)
17. Opposite People by Fela Kuti
18. The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings by Bill Evans Trio
19. Metal Box by Public Image Ltd.
20. A Love Supreme by John Coltrane
21. The Velvet Underground (Closet Mix) by The Velvet Underground
22. Loveless by My Bloody Valentine
23. Another Green World by Brian Eno
24. In Rainbows by Radiohead
25. Mm... Food by MF Doom
26. Faust IV by Faust
27. The Return of The Durutti Column by The Durutti Column
28. Drukqs by Aphex Twin
29. Ambient 4: On Land by Brian Eno
30. Ege Bamyasi by Can
31. Neu! by Neu!
32. Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk
33. In a Silent Way by Miles Davis
34. Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division
35. Third by Soft Machine
36. Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart
37. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis
38. Marquee Moon by Television
39. The Real McCoy by McCoy Tyner
40. Animals by Pink Floyd
41. Selected Ambient Works Vol. II by Aphex Twin
42. Live at the It Club by Thelonious Monk
43. Music For 18 People by Steve Reich

4.0 (Flawless)
44. The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel by Miles Davis
45. Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy by Brian Eno
46. Long Season (98.12.28 Version) by Fishmans
47. The Unseen by Quasimoto (Madlib)
48. Faust by Faust
49. Ki-Oku by DJ Krush
50. Shiny Beast/Bat Chain by Captain Beefheart
51. Complete Village Vanguard Recordings by John Coltrane
52. Scientist Meets the Space Invaders by Scientist
53. Point of Departure by Andrew Hill
54. Low by David Bowie
55. Rubber Soul by The Beatles
56. The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox
57. The Black Saint and Sinner Lady by Charles Mingus
58. The Modern Dance by Pere Ubu
59. Rushup Edge by The Tuss
60. Hosianna Mantra by Popol Vuh

Vini Reilly is just one of my favorite (if not the one) guitar player. Have you seen the video of him performing in Madrid? Great stuff.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
ShapeOfJazzToCome.jpg

8/10

Reactions: GB

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
The Strokes - The New Abnormal (2020) - 3.5

This is surprisingly good, a few memorable tracks on it. Not a band at their peak anymore but it's a good summer listen.

Echobelly - On (1995) - 3/5

It's mediocre Britpop from one of the few female-fronted gruops but King of The Kerb and Great Things are a couple fantastic songs.

Rolling Blackouts C.F. - Hope Downs (2018) - 4/5

Nice and short and very indie rock. I usually don't bother with debut albums anymore until the band has realeased a couple decently rated albums but the singles from their upcoming 2nd album seemed promising and they seemed like a safe bet. Talking Straight is a banger.

Jack - Pioneer Soundtracks (1996) - 3/5

It's a weird album, commercial Britpop in parts and the type of art pop in others. Wintercomesummer sounds like a Strokes song made years earlier.

The Orielles - Silver Dollar Moment (2018) - 3.5/5

I like this band, listening to their 2nd album now but the debut is just as consistent.I've seen some describer her as the weakpoint of the band but her dry English vocals go very well with this. The first four songs on this album are strong. The opening song has unexpected line "Nacho nights at Sneaky Dee's/Ice hockey is on the screen" which you don't generally expect to be sung by some girl with a Northern English accent.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Carly Rae Jepsen surprise-released Dedicated Side B a few days ago. It's 12 songs that didn't make it into her Dedicated album last year. As such, they're not her best songs, but they're all pleasant and poppy enough for Jepsen fans and a nice pick-me-up, perfect for quarantine. I read someone say that no one makes music to dance by yourself to like Jepsen, so this seems like perfect timing.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shareefruck: I may have asked you this before, but I don't remember your response. What is the flaw in Bill Evans Trio's Village Vanguard recordings that prevents you from nudging them up to a 5? And same basic question for Miles Davis Plugged Nickel recordings: why not a 4.5 or a 5?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Shareefruck: I may have asked you this before, but I don't remember your response. What is the flaw in Bill Evans Trio's Village Vanguard recordings that prevents you from nudging them up to a 5? And same basic question for Miles Davis Plugged Nickel recordings: why not a 4.5 or a 5?
I don't see any flaws in them-- Everything I listed is more or less "flawless" to me (that's why I label 4.0s that way)-- 4.5s and 5.0s are just degrees that I thoroughly love and appreciate something beyond that. Bill Evans Trio being a 4.5 just means that it currently doesn't feel quite like it's in the same ball-park as my absolute favorites at the moment-- and same with Plugged Nickel.

A big part of that probably has something to do with the format-- it's a massive collection containing multiple sets of performances with duplicate tracks re-occurring in each one (doesn't help that I'm unable to appreciate the nuances of the versions), where each individual set doesn't feel quite as impressive as the whole, but it also doesn't feel quite ideal to listen to the whole thing front-to-back (and despite that, I still don't like Waltz For Debby or Sunday at the Village Vanguard nearly as much as the complete collection). That isn't a problem by any means, but that also doesn't feel quite as optimal to me as my favorite cohesive, beginning-to-end, full album experiences can. And Plugged Nickel is a bit lower than that because I do occassionally struggle with the harshness of the sound, although sometimes I don't care (pretty much every other album I listed is recorded in significantly better quality than it, even though I love the performances as much as any of them).

But basically, if I find it possible to further separate a group of albums into an additional tier, I'll feel inclined to do it. I'm just very resistant to the idea of dumping everything I love and have no issues with into the 5.0 bucket despite still seeing different levels of distinction I could make within it. That's why my ratings tend to get lower and lower over time in general-- it doesn't mean that I like things less and less.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Notes on a Conditional Form
By The 1975

Seems like Matt Healy got clean, only to relapse with a new drug: pure, unfettered narcissism. Twenty-two songs...what was he thinking?

Score: 3/10

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Bandana by Freddie Gibbs and Madlib (2019) - I thought it was enjoyable, without any particularly high peaks or any sort of considerable low. Just a solidly-performed album all the way through, although I should probably pay more attention to the lyrics - it's just not something I tend to care about in music but Gibbs is fun with an interesting, smooth deliver. Kind of just oozes cinematic, gangster cool in a way that doesn't feel like a rap artist ripping off good cinema.

Favorite tracks: Crime Pays, Palmolive, Cataracts.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Operation: Doomsday by MF Doom (1999) - Another listen. I hold it higher than I previously did but I still don't think it rises to the level of Mm..Food and Madvillainy, which made me realize that MF Doom's 2004 might be one of the most impressive year a musician has ever had and probably the best of the 21st century. I will say though, the album has the most satisfying skits I've ever heard and MF Doom is an example of how skits can be just as worthy and rewarding as an actual song. While he doesn't reach as often for creative non-sequiturs on Operation: Doomsday, his ability for creative wordplay, sampling, beat-making and emotional impact are all equal. One of the greatest artists of the 21st century, IMO.

Favorite tracks: Doomsday, Red and Gold, The Hands of Doom (skit), Hey!, ?

The Downfall of Ibliys: A Ghetto Opera by MF Grimm (2002) - Enjoyable but wildly inconsistent and often propped by MF Doom's production. MF Grimm is good by himself but I don't think he compares well to his compadres MF Doom and Count Bass D, although I'm sure they would disagree. He is sometimes a little facile and corny (a song refers to the subjugation of dogs as a call to arms and the following track has consistent howling in the background...not great.) but an interesting voice is a saving grace with some good storytelling in the best tracks, which are very good. There's too many songs without any interest to me that I should consider it anything above 'good', maybe even lowering it to 'decent'. Still, an interesting tidbit as to its production: facing a life sentence in prison, Grimm posted a 100,000$ one-day bail and recorded the album in 24 hours.

Favorite tracks: Life and Death, Foolish, Words, Teach the Babies

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
F8 by Five Finger Death Punch.

Meh. Some good riffs and grooves here and there, but more of the same as they've pretty much always done. They're getting a little too alt-righty angry white guy in their lyrics, tbh. Not really down with that. Ivan Moody really needs to find something other than angry inner turmoil to sing about one of these decades.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Halfway through Take Me to Your Leader. It may be recency bias, but MF Doom is starting to reach the appreciation that I have for my utmost favorites. Just a unique, immensely talented artist. To me, he just may be up there with the very best and a criminally underrated artist among African-American art and a titan of conceptual art. He has charisma for the ages and just oozes attractive dorkiness. There's a great video of him from 2004 where he's being interviewed shortly before the release of Mm..Food and he's just sitting there, protruding stomach, reading glasses on top of his mask and hyping it up, constantly referring to himself as a villain. Then, the interviewer's first question is: 'Who is the superhero to your supervillain?' and MF Doom just sits there, kind of stumped, before saying that a superhero would only be the antithesis to his character and that maybe they would get along really well, saying that a superhero can just be a cool guy with a nice car and a big chain. That killed me. :laugh:

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Take Me to Your Leader by King Geedorah (MF Doom) (2003) - Just as worthy as his 2004 releases. A manic album centered around some sort of bizarre science-fiction concept, littered with tasteful features and enigmatic production. MF Doom's voice is not as prevalent within the record but his presence is just as noticeable. He nails it like a great author does - a distinct voice that is not dominated by its maker, allowing the artist his own unique style without his person dominating the recipient's mind.

Favorite tracks: Fazers, Krazy World, Monster Zero, Take Me to Your Leader, One Smart N*gger

I don't think I ever listened to three full albums in one day.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Take Me To Your Leader by MF Doom - 3.0 (Very Good) [Highlight: Monster Zero]
Wonderwall Music by George Harrison - 3.0 (Very Good) [Highlights: In The Park, On the Bed, Greasy Legs]
Konigsforst by Gas - 2.0 or 2.5 (Positive/Good)
Confield by Autechre - 1.5 (Neutral)
[Highlight: Pen Expers]
Uchu Nippon Setagaya by Fishmans - 1.5 (Neutral)

YouTube

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Interesting! Those particular GAS and Autechre albums were ones that really helped me get into electronic music. Shame you didn't really care for either of them.

I love that Autechre album in particular. It has that sort of feeling of alien surrealism that I'm drawn to. Very cold and unemotive. Theur music always makes me think of this quote from John Cage that I read: "I wanted my work to be free of my own likes and dislikes, because I think music should be free of the feelings and ideas of the composer". Given their experimentation with algorithmic beat composition and generative sequences you can almost get the feeling that the music has written itself. They'd probably bristle at the idea that they've dehumanized their music, but I find that appealing.

I like GAS a lot as well. Totally different feel though. Very lush, rhythmically simple music with just the slightest hint of menace lurking below the surface. Also far more invested in minimalism than a group like Autechre who are almost like an all-out assault on the senses.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Interesting! Those particular GAS and Autechre albums were ones that really helped me get into electronic music. Shame you didn't really care for either of them.

I love that Autechre album in particular. It has that sort of feeling of alien surrealism that I'm drawn to. Very cold and unemotive. Theur music always makes me think of this quote from John Cage that I read: "I wanted my work to be free of my own likes and dislikes, because I think music should be free of the feelings and ideas of the composer". Given their experimentation with algorithmic beat composition and generative sequences you can almost get the feeling that the music has written itself. They'd probably bristle at the idea that they've dehumanized their music, but I find that appealing.

I like GAS a lot as well. Totally different feel though. Very lush, rhythmically simple music with just the slightest hint of menace lurking below the surface. Also far more invested in minimalism than a group like Autechre who are almost like an all-out assault on the senses.
I mostly enjoyed Konigsforst-- 2.0 just means that I like it enough to keep it around but I'm not totally sold on it as a fully satisfying staple that I'm actually enthusiastic about yet (I definitely prefer the production of Pop more, but the material isn't too far off). The Autechre one hasn't quite clicked with me yet (it's fine, but I'm a bit ambivalent, outside of that one track), but it's mostly a first pass and I'll revisit it at some point. I do find the relentless sound a bit exhausting with the tracks that don't totally grab me. It'd be helpful if you could point out which tracks you like in particular, though.

My ratings have just gone down across the board because I'm obsessed with separation of things I like. The stuff that I truly don't care for just get 1s and 0s.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Wonderwall Music by George Harrison - 3.0 (Very Good) [Highlights: In The Park, On the Bed, Greasy Legs]
Take Me To Your Leader by MF Doom - 2.5 (Good) [Highlight: Monster Zero]
Konigsforst by Gas - 2.0 (Positive)
Confield by Autechre - 1.5 (Neutral)
[Highlight: Pen Expers]
Uchu Nippon Setagaya by Fishmans - 1.5 (Neutral)

YouTube

Would appreciate any thoughts you may have on Take Me to Your Leader. I think it's in the same realm as Operation: Doomsday and slightly below Mm..Food and Madvillainy.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I mostly enjoyed Konigsforst-- 2.0 just means that I like it enough to keep it around but I'm not totally sold on it as a fully satisfying staple that I'm actually enthusiastic about yet (I definitely prefer the production of Pop more, but the material isn't too far off). The Autechre one hasn't quite clicked with me yet (it's fine, but I'm a bit ambivalent, outside of that one track), but it's mostly a first pass and I'll revisit it at some point. I do find the relentless sound a bit exhausting with the tracks that don't totally grab me. It'd be helpful if you could point out which tracks you like in particular, though.

My ratings have just gone down across the board because I'm obsessed with separation of things I like. The stuff that I truly don't care for just get 1s and 0s.

I tend to favor the second half of Confield, which is I guess the slightly noisier and less beat heavy portion. 'Parhelic Triangle', 'Bine', 'Uviol' and 'Lentic Catachresis' re standouts for me.

If you're interested in a more ambient approach, you could try NTS Session 4.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Would appreciate any thoughts you may have on Take Me to Your Leader. I think it's in the same realm as Operation: Doomsday and slightly below Mm..Food and Madvillainy.
I like it on a similar level as Operation Doomsday (probably higher peaks, lower valleys) but less than Madvillainy and far far less than Mmm... Food, which stands far above the rest for me. It is growing on me, but it exhibits some of my pet peeves about most acclaimed Hip Hop albums in general.

* Way too many rappers singing simple melodies as a hook-- It's supposed to be charming, but I usually hate it and find it annoying
* Too many collaborations with guest vocals who aren't nearly as strong or interesting as MF Doom's, to my ears.
* Normally I would say too many skits, but in this case, I actually tended to like the instrumental samples/production on them a lot more than on the other tracks.

Weakest tracks for me were Lockjaw and I Wonder (sounded like the type of tracks I'd hear on hip-hop albums that I don't remotely care about). I love Monster Zero, and Krazy World/Take Me To Your Leader stood out as great to me too.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Tomorrow's Harvest by Boards of Canada - 2.0 (Positive)
Grew on me, but still like it less than their two bigger albums. Album seemed fitting for current times. Collapse weirdly stood out to me as a highlight this time, along with Cold Earth. Probably would have preferred it as just an EP of the 5-6 strongest tracks.

360 Business 360 Bypass by Pan American - 2.0 (Positive)
Isn't the most amazing thing in the world, but I like the simplicity of it. Would have been better without vocals. Double rail was the highlight for me.

45:33 by LCD Soundsystem - 1.5 (Neutral)
Not a big fan of LCD Soundsystem or this dance-y kind of genre in general, but this is probably my pick for best LCD Soundsystem album.

Zauberberg by Gas - 1.0 (Negative)
Didn't really care about this one.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Did a Cocteau Twins binge through all the albums and EPs (not going to rate the EPs).

The Moon and The Melodies by Cocteau Twins & Harold Budd - 4.5 (Brilliant)
This really grew on me and I absolutely love it now. Amazing how much better Harold Budd's sound works with Cocteau Twins than it did with Brian Eno. The best tracks were the ones where Budd and Guthrie just bounce off each other. Sea Swallow Me is one of my favorite tracks now.

Treasure by Cocteau Twins - 3.5 (Great)
High highs with no clear weak-points, IMO.

Heaven or Las Vegas by Cocteau Twins - 2.5 (Good)
Heavily relies on two masterful bookends-- the stuff in between is consistently good and a lot of fun but doesn't feel super significant to me. I don't understand why the title track is considered their magnum opus by so many people-- It's good but doesn't stand out much to me compared to any of the songs surrounding it.

Victorialand by Cocteau Twins - 1.5 (Neutral)
Head Over Heels by Cocteau Twins - 1.5 (Neutral)
Blue Bell Knoll by Cocteau Twins - 1.5 (Neutral)

These three are unique and each have great qualities, but I feel like something's missing from each of them. Among them, I like Victorialand the best-- that one might shoot up.

Four-Calendar Cafe by Cocteau Twins - 1.0 (Negative)
After the Night Falls by Robin Guthrie and Harold Budd - 0.5 or 1.0 (Bad/Negative)
Milk & Kisses by Cocteau Twins - 0.5 (Bad)
Garlands by Cocteau Twins - 0.5 (Bad)

Favorite Cocteau Twin Tracks
1. Sea Swallow Me
2. Frou-Frou Foxes in Midsummer Fires
3. Cherry Coloured Funk
4. Lorelei
5. Donimo
6. Eyes are Mosaics
7. Why Do You Love Me
8. Lazy Calm
9. Love's Easy Tears
10. Ooze Out and Away, Onehow

Updated Favorite Albums

5.0 (Masterpiece)
2. Tago Mago by Can
3. White Light White Heat by The Velvet Underground
4. Here Come the Warm Jets by Brian Eno
5. The Velvet Underground & Nico by The Velvet Underground
6. Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt
7. Possible Musics by Jon Hassell
8. Interstellar Space by John Coltrane
9. The Ascension by Glenn Branca
10. Closer by Joy Division
11. Bootleg 4: Live 1966 by Bob Dylan
12. B*tches Brew by Miles Davis
13. The Velvet Underground (Closet Mix) by The Velvet Underground
14. Revolver by The Beatles
15. Loveless by My Bloody Valentine
16. Future Days by Can
17. Rockers Meet King Tubby in a Firehouse by Augustus Pablo

4.5 (Brilliant)
18. Metal Box by Public Image Ltd.
19. The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings by Bill Evans Trio
20. Ambient 4: On Land by Brian Eno
21. King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown by Augustus Pablo
22. Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk
23. A Love Supreme by John Coltrane
24. Faust IV by Faust
25. Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division
26. In Rainbows by Radiohead
27. Mmm... Food by MF Doom
28. The Return of the Durutti Column by Durutti Column
29. Opposite People by Fela Kuti
30. Another Green World by Brian Eno
31. Neu! by Neu!
32. The Moon and the Melodies by Cocteau Twins & Harold Budd
33. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis
34. Animals by Pink Floyd
35. Ege Bamyasi by Can

4.0 (Flawless)
36. In a Silent Way by Miles Davis
37. Marquee Moon by Television
38. Drukqs by Aphex Twin
39. Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy by Brian Eno
40. The Real McCoy by McCoy Tyner
41. Music From 18 Musicians by Steve Reich
42. The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel by Miles Davis
43. Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart
44. The Unseen by Quasimoto
45. Selected Ambient Worlds Vol. II by Aphex Twin
46. The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings by John Coltrane
47. Long Season (98.12.28 Version) by Fishmans
48. Faust by Faust
49. Plastic Ono Band by John Lennon
50. Shiny Beast/Bat Chain Puller by Captain Beefheart

Updated Favorite Tracks
1. Hallogallo by Neu!
2. Oh Yeah by Can
3. Japan in a Dishpan by Captain Beefheart
4. Ceremony by Joy Division
5. Krautrock by Faust
6. Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles
7. Pinch by Can
8. Peon by Captain Beefheart
9. Sister Ray by The Velvet Underground
10. Doctor Dark by Captain Beefheart
11. John McLaughlin by Miles Davis
12. Desolation Row by Bob Dylan
---
13. One Red Rose That I Mean by Captain Beefheart
14. Negativland by Neu!
15. All Tomorrow's Parties by The Velvet Underground
16. Venus in Furs by The Velvet Underground
17. Memories by Public Image Ltd.
18. Mt Saint Michel + Saint Michael's Mount by Aphex Twin
19. Pyramid Song by Radiohead
20. King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown by Augustus Pablo
21. Mushroom by Can
22. Cock, Ver10 by Aphex Twin
23. Here Come the Warm Jets by Brian Eno
24. Chemistry by Jon Hassell
25. Heroin by The Velvet Underground
26. She Said She Said by The Beatles
27. I Heard Her Call My Name by The Velvet Underground
28. Careering by Public Image Ltd.
29. Lonely Woman by Ornette Coleman
---
30. Lady Godiva's Operation by The Velvet Underground
31. Candy Says by The Velvet Underground
32. I'm Only Sleeping by The Beatles
34. Opposite People by Fela Kuti
35. Rhubarb by Aphex Twin
36. Spanish Key by Miles Davis
37. Halleluhwah by Can
38. Visions of Johanna by Bob Dylan
39. Nowhere Man by The Beatles
40. Jupiter by John Coltrane
41. Shadowplay by Joy Division
42. Charm Over a Burundi Cloud by Jon Hassell
43. The Spectacular Commodity by Glenn Branca
44. To Here Knows When by My Bloody Valentine
45. Machine Gun by Jimi Hendrix
46. Gloria's Step by Bill Evans Trio
47. Dunwich Beach Autumn 1960 by Brian Eno
48. My Back Pages by Bob Dylan
49. Leave Me Alone by New Order
50. Autobahn by Kraftwerk
51. Dogs by Pink Floyd
52. All Along the Watchtower by Bob Dylan
53. Sea, Swallow Me by Cocteau Twins
54. Steps by Cecil Taylor
55. Long Season (98.12.28) by Fishmans

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The Chicks - Gaslighter (2020) Formerly the Dixie Chicks, left Dixie behind and although it wasn't intended that way, their music reflects this somewhat. I only heard it once, but it sounds different from usual Dixie Chicks stuff. More modern and upbeat. 7/10

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Did a Cocteau Twins binge through all the albums and EPs (not going to rate the EPs).

The Moon and The Melodies by Cocteau Twins & Harold Budd - 4.5 (Brilliant)
Might drop a bit later after the hype dies down, but this really grew on me and I absolutely love it now. Amazing how much better Harold Budd's sound works with Cocteau Twins than it did with Brian Eno. The best tracks were the ones where Budd and Guthrie just bounce off each other. Sea Swallow Me is one of my favorite tracks now.

Treasure by Cocteau Twins - 3.5 (Great)
High highs with no clear weak-points, IMO.

Heaven or Las Vegas by Cocteau Twins - 2.5 (Good)
Heavily relies on two masterful bookends-- the stuff in between is consistently good and a lot of fun but doesn't feel super significant to me. I don't understand why the title track is considered their magnum opus by so many people-- It's good but doesn't stand out much to me compared to any of the songs surrounding it.

Victorialand by Cocteau Twins - 1.5 (Neutral)
Head Over Heels by Cocteau Twins - 1.5 (Neutral)
Blue Bell Knoll by Cocteau Twins - 1.5 (Neutral)

These three are unique and each have great qualities, but I feel like something's missing from each of them. Among them, I like Victorialand the best-- that one might shoot up.

Four-Calendar Cafe by Cocteau Twins - 1.0 (Negative)
After the Night Falls by Robin Guthrie and Harold Budd - 0.5 or 1.0 (Bad/Negative)
Milk & Kisses by Cocteau Twins - 0.5 (Bad)
Garlands by Cocteau Twins - 0.5 (Bad)

Favorite Cocteau Twin Tracks
1. Sea Swallow Me
2. Frou-Frou Foxes in Midsummer Fires
3. Cherry Coloured Funk
4. Lorelei
5. Memory Gongs
6. Why Do You Love Me
7. Donimo
8. Ghost Has No Home
9. Lazy Calm
10. Love's Easy Tears

Updated Favorite Albums

5.0 (Masterpiece)
2. Tago Mago by Can
3. White Light White Heat by The Velvet Underground
4. Here Come the Warm Jets by Brian Eno
5. The Velvet Underground & Nico by The Velvet Underground
6. Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt
7. Possible Musics by Jon Hassell
8. Interstellar Space by John Coltrane
9. The Ascension by Glenn Branca
10. Closer by Joy Division
11. Bootleg 4: Live 1966 by Bob Dylan
12. B*tches Brew by Miles Davis
13. The Velvet Underground (Closet Mix) by The Velvet Underground
14. Revolver by The Beatles
15. Loveless by My Bloody Valentine
16. Future Days by Can
17. Rockers Meet King Tubby in a Firehouse by Augustus Pablo

4.5 (Brilliant)
18. Metal Box by Public Image Ltd.
19. The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings by Bill Evans Trio
20. Ambient 4: On Land by Brian Eno
21. King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown by Augustus Pablo
22. Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk
23. The Moon and the Melodies by Cocteau Twins & Harold Budd
24. A Love Supreme by John Coltrane
25. Faust IV by Faust
26. Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division
27. In Rainbows by Radiohead
28. Mmm... Food by MF Doom
29. The Return of the Durutti Column by Durutti Column
30. Opposite People by Fela Kuti
31. Another Green World by Brian Eno
32. Neu! by Neu!
33. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis
34. Animals by Pink Floyd
35. Ege Bamyasi by Can

4.0 (Flawless)
36. In a Silent Way by Miles Davis
37. Marquee Moon by Television
38. Drukqs by Aphex Twin
39. Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy by Brian Eno
40. The Real McCoy by McCoy Tyner
41. Music From 18 Musicians by Steve Reich
42. The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel by Miles Davis
43. Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart
44. The Unseen by Quasimoto
45. Selected Ambient Worlds Vol. II by Aphex Twin
46. The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings by John Coltrane
47. Long Season (98.12.28 Version) by Fishmans
48. Faust by Faust
49. Plastic Ono Band by John Lennon
50. Shiny Beast/Bat Chain Puller by Captain Beefheart

Updated Favorite Tracks
1. Hallogallo by Neu!
2. Oh Yeah by Can
3. Japan in a Dishpan by Captain Beefheart
4. Ceremony by Joy Division
5. Krautrock by Faust
6. Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles
7. Pinch by Can
8. Peon by Captain Beefheart
9. Sister Ray by The Velvet Underground
10. Doctor Dark by Captain Beefheart
11. John McLaughlin by Miles Davis
12. Desolation Row by Bob Dylan
---
13. One Red Rose That I Mean by Captain Beefheart
14. Negativland by Neu!
15. All Tomorrow's Parties by The Velvet Underground
16. Venus in Furs by The Velvet Underground
17. Memories by Public Image Ltd.
18. Mt Saint Michel + Saint Michael's Mount by Aphex Twin
19. Pyramid Song by Radiohead
20. King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown by Augustus Pablo
21. Mushroom by Can
22. Cock, Ver10 by Aphex Twin
23. Here Come the Warm Jets by Brian Eno
24. Chemistry by Jon Hassell
25. Heroin by The Velvet Underground
26. She Said She Said by The Beatles
27. I Heard Her Call My Name by The Velvet Underground
28. Careering by Public Image Ltd.
29. Lonely Woman by Ornette Coleman
---
30. Lady Godiva's Operation by The Velvet Underground
31. Candy Says by The Velvet Underground
32. I'm Only Sleeping by The Beatles
34. Opposite People by Fela Kuti
35. Rhubarb by Aphex Twin
36. Spanish Key by Miles Davis
37. Halleluhwah by Can
38. Visions of Johanna by Bob Dylan
39. Nowhere Man by The Beatles
40. Jupiter by John Coltrane
41. Shadowplay by Joy Division
42. Charm Over a Burundi Cloud by Jon Hassell
43. The Spectacular Commodity by Glenn Branca
44. To Here Knows When by My Bloody Valentine
45. Machine Gun by Jimi Hendrix
46. Gloria's Step by Bill Evans Trio
47. Dunwich Beach Autumn 1960 by Brian Eno
48. My Back Pages by Bob Dylan
49. Leave Me Alone by New Order
50. Autobahn by Kraftwerk
51. Dogs by Pink Floyd
52. All Along the Watchtower by Bob Dylan
53. Sea, Swallow Me by Cocteau Twins
54. Steps by Cecil Taylor
55. Long Season (98.12.28) by Fishmans

Listened to that Cocteau Twins album. Loved parts of it but the but the middle tracks kind of converged into a whole that didn't grab me besides the odd moment. Sea, Swallow Me is absolutely brilliant. Although I still love Lorelei and Iceblink Luck more. Still, absolutely one of their best song. Elizabeth Fraser's rising, dramatic vocals are something else...greatest female vocalist of all-time, leaves everyone else in the dust. Grace Slick a distant second. Eyes are Mosaic and Bloody and Blunt were great too. Surprised Leave Me Alone ended up clicking with you. I didn't think that would happen.

Microcastle by Deerhunter (2008) - Nothing of interest save the track that made me try it out: Agoraphobia, which is excellent. Might try it again. I can't even imagine one track being that much better than the others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad