Prospect Info: Lassi Thomson, Defence, 19th Overall

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Sens need a bit more Finnish, and Lassi provides that. Hameensilta & Tampere...polka dancing w many beers. Tervay!

Last edited:
Reactions: bicboi64

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
Looked good after 1 game.

Maybe too early to call out the loud posters that have been slamming him non stop but in due time hopefully.

I feel like people were dumping on the pick when he was having the very average post-draft season in Finland. He looks a lot better on NA ice vs the large international ice.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
To be fair it didn’t look like things were going well in Finland. He was being surpassed in icetime by one of Chicago’s 4th or 5th rounders, was averaging 5th in dmen ice time in his final year there (lower than his previous year).

Probably not gonna explode and become a star but I don’t see why he can’t be a regular NHL dman after last night.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
If he ends up becoming a reliable competent top 4RD I'd be very satisfied with that at this point. Hope he proves himself a little more this year, still too early to judge.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Thomson can find his way onto the four it helps the team overall & puts less pressure in acquiring one from the outisde. It also allows them to let Zub play on the 2nd pairing to help that LD out. And when Sanderson arrives he could play with Zub creating a decent top 4. J. Brown & Holden should be gone by the TDL.

Chabot - Thomson
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - JBD/Zaitsev

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
If Thomson can find his way onto the four it helps the team overall & puts less pressure in acquiring one from the outisde. It also allows them to let Zub play on the 2nd pairing to help that LD out. And when Sanderson arrives he could play with Zub creating a decent top 4. J. Brown & Holden should be gone by the TDL.

Chabot - Thomson
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - JBD/Zaitsev

Bottom three is a issue! Kleven will not be here this season. JBD needs more seasoning and Zaitsev is a problem.

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.
Bottom three is a issue! Kleven will not be here this season. JBD needs more seasoning and Zaitsev is a problem.

It's the lineup for next season, considering Sanderson is in it. So while Kleven might still not be here, JBD has all of this season to get AHL seasoning. That c/would bump Z to #7.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

We have no idea if Kleven will leave school at the same time as Sanderson & while he may need some AHL time he could be available to the team from Belleville. There is plenty of time this yr before next yr's season begins & who knows, it may be enough seasoning for JBD & Kleven since they both come from UND which has proven it's like a pro program.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We have no idea if Kleven will leave school at the same time as Sanderson & while he may need some AHL time he could be available to the team from Belleville. There is plenty of time this yr before next yr's season begins & who knows, it may be enough seasoning for JBD & Kleven since they both come from UND which has proven it's like a pro program.

I think Klevin leaves this year … he gets a tour of Ottawa and some Belleville games.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
In the end it will be up to Kleven if he wants to turn pro.

Given the physical element to his game he way want to start developing that area further against men in the AHL sooner than later, and he’d very likely be getting top minutes in Belleville perhaps with JBD next season.

In the end these things always come down to what the player wants to do, the Sens will be supportive of whatever that is.

Selfishly I’d like to see him make the jump too!

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Play Bernard-Docker and Thomson this year to get them seasoned for next year. They can practice skills in Belleville and hone them up here. Give them 20 plus games and let Sanderson and Kleven be the rookies next year.
So tired of watching Mete, Brown, MDZ fumble around. Holden and Zaitsev as well. Need to move on. I’d rather watch the youth learn to become a team together. Our own Magnificent Seven.
Chabot - Bernard-Docker
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - Thomson
Brannstrom
and If not Brannstrom then another that fits the mold.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Looked good after 1 game.

Maybe too early to call out the loud posters that have been slamming him non stop but in due time hopefully.

Listen he was fine in year 1. But year 2 he was brutal. He looked incredibly rough in numerous games that I watched. He had much younger players looking far better than him. He has made an incredible U-turn on his trajectory. That is great. Great to see that he is looking like a guy who will at the very least be a #5. Good. But this did come a bit out of nowhere. It's not usual that you see people dramatically get better at decision-making when moving up a higher level of play (LIIGA to AHL).

It's interesting as a case study. I suspect maybe if he stayed in the WHL as a Mem Cup potential team it would have been better for him. Bet there woulda been less of a step back in Year 2. Either way great news that he's doing better. Kinda mirrors my opinion on Zibanejad that certain players may have benefitted from a couple years of Junior.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Listen he was fine in year 1. But year 2 he was brutal. He looked incredibly rough in numerous games that I watched. He had much younger players looking far better than him. He has made an incredible U-turn on his trajectory. That is great. Great to see that he is looking like a guy who will at the very least be a #5. Good. But this did come a bit out of nowhere. It's not usual that you see people dramatically get better at decision-making when moving up a higher level of play (LIIGA to AHL).

It's interesting as a case study. I suspect maybe if he stayed in the WHL as a Mem Cup potential team it would have been better for him. Bet there woulda been less of a step back in Year 2. Either way great news that he's doing better. Kinda mirrors my opinion on Zibanejad that certain players may have benefitted from a couple years of Junior.

As I had written about it elsewhere here many moons ago, Lassi wasn't getting the touches in Ilves (who is competing to win, not develop someone else's asset). They knew he was destined for North America and barely gave him much, in addition to growing pains he was facing compounding the issue. I liked the skillset the scouts went for as the prime return from Duchene's trade, utilizing it to draft a puck moving RD who is a project. Lassi is not the most physical specimen, but that doesn't stop him from engaging in physical plays and board battles from what I have seen. What's pleasantly surprising, albeit on a very small sample size, is how his productive start to the AHL season this year has carried over to the big team. I think he looks better with quality line mates, and I think he not only has an NHL shot with his clapper from the point, but he possesses underrated on-ice vision. Exactly the things you like on your top-4 pairings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray and DrEasy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
In the end it will be up to Kleven if he wants to turn pro.

Given the physical element to his game he way want to start developing that area further against men in the AHL sooner than later, and he’d very likely be getting top minutes in Belleville perhaps with JBD next season.

In the end these things always come down to what the player wants to do, the Sens will be supportive of whatever that is.

Selfishly I’d like to see him make the jump too!

Id be shocked if Klevin doesn’t turn pro. As you said he knows he’s getting a minimum of one year in the AHL.

The core of that UND team has moved on -

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Id be shocked if Klevin doesn’t turn pro. As you said he knows he’s getting a minimum of one year in the AHL.

An article in the Athletic said Kleven want to spend another year with North Dakota

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
An article in the Athletic said Kleven want to spend another year with North Dakota

Fair enough - it could mean something … it’s an awkward question to ask a player at the start of a season.

UND is outdrawing the Senators and crushing the BSENS. Sounds like a fun place to play.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Kleven is the type of D man that even if he’s atrocious once he plays a single game in the nhl he’s got a job for life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad