Prospect Info: Lassi Thomson, Defence, 19th Overall

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
The criticism is to the "we are in trouble if they don't work out" comments. Well, it would hurt sure, but we have depth and could survive it. That's very different than throwing them overboard. These guys are good and valued prospects, nothing less, nothing more. These guys aren't as important as Tkachuk, or likely our two picks this season. They are no more important to the team than Brannstrom's success and frankly likely less important. That doesn't mean I or anyone else who isn't placing them in the same category as Redden or Phillips is giving up on them. It's just being realistic. The hope is they become top 4 Dmen, not franchise Dmen (though that would be nice).

I also disagree that they need to be up here asap, to the contrary, I think a patient development path is best for them. Paving the path for them to succeed, which I think we can all agree would be ideal, to me means ensuring that they come up when they are ready, not because we don't have anyone else, not because we want to get them into some critical path as you are saying. We won't bury them in the minors, we want to develop them there so they can maximize their long term impact.

their importance is on par with Redden and Philips. And being drafted #1 or #2 as a Dman, is no where near a complement to your stature. We may never know, but Gretzky would have most likely been #1, Lemieux, Crosby, OVI, in time McDavid......#1 forwards are typically much more valuable. #1 D men, not as much. Ray Bourque, Nick Lindstrom, Chara, EK, etc. are not #1. In fact Lindstrom was a 3rd round, as was Chara..#1's have been apt to be Aaron Ekblad.

It is why, I believe that two guys, drafted in the first round in subsequent years, may prove to be the cornerstone of this franchise..along with Chabot. This team's BIG THREE.

I return to my original post, which touched off this storm: YES, I very much believe the team's eggs are in those two baskets. If these two remotely materialize into the modern version of Redden (Thompson) and Philips (JBD). This could be 1998 all over again. If they don't, I am not as confident as you are, that they can overcome it.

the team wants us to laud their picks..but not too hard, just encase they fail, then we don't blame them... They want us to praise the pick, declare victory, but not question if after things fall apart. They want us to love them, then forgive all indiscretions if they misbehave!!!

Jees Mick, they wonder why outside of their bubble they are not trusted, or are disliked.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
their importance is on par with Redden and Philips. And being drafted #1 or #2 as a Dman, is no where near a complement to your stature. We may never know, but Gretzky would have most likely been #1, Lemieux, Crosby, OVI, in time McDavid......#1 forwards are typically much more valuable. #1 D men, not as much. Ray Bourque, Nick Lindstrom, Chara, EK, etc. are not #1. In fact Lindstrom was a 3rd round, as was Chara..#1's have been apt to be Aaron Ekblad.

Alternatively, you could put their importance on par with Mezaros, Volchenkov, Ceci, Gleason. Picking a player in the 19-26 range doesn't mean they are as important as Redden or Phillips. Dmen are inherently less predictable in their development which is why just being a 19th or 26th OA isn't enough to vault a player into core piece to the future success of the team.

It is why, I believe that two guys, drafted in the first round in subsequent years, may prove to be the cornerstone of this franchise..along with Chabot. This team's BIG THREE.

So why not Brannstrom who was drafted even higher and did a good job of improving his stock after being drafted?

I return to my original post, which touched off this storm: YES, I very much believe the team's eggs are in those two baskets. If these two remotely materialize into the modern version of Redden (Thompson) and Philips (JBD). This could be 1998 all over again. If they don't, I am not as confident as you are, that they can overcome it.
Hey, it would be great if they do, we are all rooting for that, but the teams strength right now is in it's prospect depth, not it's top end talent. That's why people are perplexed by your claim. Right now, Brannstrom and Wolanin are very good prospects too. Jaros and Lajoie, Alsing and Tychonick, all these guys are 25 and under. Some will bust, some will surprise. That's all people are saying, we don't have all our eggs in one (or two) baskets, we have a diversified portfolio.

the team wants us to laud their picks..but not too hard, just encase they fail, then we don't blame them... They want us to praise the pick, declare victory, but not question if after things fall apart. They want us to love them, then forgive all indiscretions if they misbehave!!!

Jees Mick, they wonder why outside of their bubble they are not trusted, or are disliked.

Honestly, I don't know where you're going with this last bit...

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Alternatively, you could put their importance on par with Mezaros, Volchenkov, Ceci, Gleason. Picking a player in the 19-26 range doesn't mean they are as important as Redden or Phillips. Dmen are inherently less predictable in their development which is why just being a 19th or 26th OA isn't enough to vault a player into core piece to the future success of the team.

So why not Brannstrom who was drafted even higher and did a good job of improving his stock after being drafted?

Hey, it would be great if they do, we are all rooting for that, but the teams strength right now is in it's prospect depth, not it's top end talent. That's why people are perplexed by your claim. Right now, Brannstrom and Wolanin are very good prospects too. Jaros and Lajoie, Alsing and Tychonick, all these guys are 25 and under. Some will bust, some will surprise. That's all people are saying, we don't have all our eggs in one (or two) baskets, we have a diversified portfolio.

Honestly, I don't know where you're going with this last bit...

Why not Brannstrom..I struggle to get past 5'9".. I belong to the camp that says no...Larry Robinson was 6'2". Serge Savard, roughly 6'2". Guy Lapointe 5'10" . His had the shortest career and least distinguished. I have heard it form hockey people. They always felt, he may have been the most skilled. Had Brannstrom been 6'0". I would be happy as can be. But,we seem to be fixated on a point that time will prove out. I may have mentioned this in past posts. I am 5'9", played hockey for years and had my butt handed to me. I learned the old: size matters. And this is in rec hockey...can you imagine the NHL?

The other prospects. I am no where near as high on them as you. I am sure that in 1-2 years time, most will not be here. And those that stay will be Chris Wideman. a 5/6, who out stayed his welcome.

I have said this before. This team expends way more energy is covering its tracks, in sales and marketing, in spin, than it does it doing its job. Post how you like player X and want him here. 5-10 posters jump in why the rush. Post, he should not come up and , you get, you are not being fair, He is a NHLr. Ask 2-3 years latter, hey what happened with player X..you get, well it didn't work out. It is what others have posted on here, spin..then we get messages 'post deleted'...It is 4:00 pm..I give this post 20 minutes. before the onslaught that will follow and its possible deletion.

here is one for you. a number of people were going off yesterday. I wrote two posts in reply and defended the club..I said, do not vent, be fair, offer polite rebuttal..hey, understand the team...Jobs at stake..do not argue, but debate, be more understanding of the club...1 hour later, maybe 2..deleted...

Chock the message..murk it up...brilliant.. I do read 100's. Any overly negative post towards the club and 5-6 posters jump..Do I guess burner accounts?? 4:06..I am down to 24 minutes.

I hope you read it Mick before it disappears.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I can't say anyone has any eggs in Pinto's basket. An undersized second round pick. Reminds me of Shane Prince. Lots of talent but more likely a minor leaguer than the next Marchand/Gallagher.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
I can't say anyone has any eggs in Pinto's basket. An undersized second round pick. Reminds me of Shane Prince. Lots of talent but more likely a minor leaguer than the next Marchand/Gallagher.

okay..wait until heat comes out...Once they see my name..

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Do they remind you of each other because they have very similar sounding names? Or because they are both from NY? Because other than that, they play absolutely nothing alike.

Last edited:
Reactions: GCK

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Pinto is that gritty hard work guy.....So it seems he will be some sort of player for us down the road

Reactions: aragorn

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Pinto is that gritty hard work guy.....So it seems he will be some sort of player for us down the road

He was the highest scoring rookie in the USHL
He won the NCAA rookie of the year and lead his team in goals
He was team usa number 1 center at the world juniors lead the team in goals and was second in points.
Other than being one of the best young players in the world he does work hard yes and hopefully he keeps on keepin on.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
He was the highest scoring rookie in the USHL
He won the NCAA rookie of the year and lead his team in goals
He was team usa number 1 center at the world juniors lead the team in goals and was second in points.
Other than being one of the best young players in the world he does work hard yes and hopefully he keeps on keepin on.

Technically Alex Newhook won NCAA rookie of the year. Pinto won the NCHC (National Collegiate Hockey Conference) Rookie of the year.

And isn't this a Lassi Thomson thread?

Reactions: NB613

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Lassi Thomson is easily the prospect I am most confused about, and that says something considering we have a Logan Brown in our system who can be anything from a 1st line NHL'er to a point-producing AHL guy.

I really have no idea what to expect from him. I really get scared of prospects who are perceived to have a low hockey IQ because you just never know how he'll adapt in the big league. That being said, he has so many tools in his tool box that if he can manage to figure out how to use them, he should be able to find a nice home in the NHL

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Lassi Thomson is easily the prospect I am most confused about, and that says something considering we have a Logan Brown in our system who can be anything from a 1st line NHL'er to a point-producing AHL guy.

I really have no idea what to expect from him. I really get scared of prospects who are perceived to have a low hockey IQ because you just never know how he'll adapt in the big league. That being said, he has so many tools in his tool box that if he can manage to figure out how to use them, he should be able to find a nice home in the NHL
Completely agree. I just don't know what to make of this player. I'm not overly optimistic.

Reactions: Pinto Bean

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
In the spring of 2018, Ilsi breeder Lassi Thomson, who was part of the Finnish world under-18 champions, played in the 2018-2019 North American WHL junior series in the Kelowna Rockets team, where he scored 17 + 24 = 41 in 63 matches and won the newcomers' points exchange. After his WHL season, the defender returned to Ilves and joined the Liiga team of his breeder club.
The Ottawa Senators acquired Thomson’s player rights in the first round of the 2019 NHL booking event on turn number 19. The defender signed a three-year deal with the Senators but played on loan for last season and this early season in Ilves.
Last season, Thomson scored 7 + 6 = 13 in 39 matches in the League and 2 + 4 = 6 in 14 matches in the Finnish national under-20 team. In the World Championships for under-20s played at the turn of last year, the defender, who was the captain of the Young Lions, scored 0 + 3 = 3 in 7 matches. This season, Thomson's balance in 18 League matches was 0 + 2 = 2.
- Lassi Thomson's holistic playing has developed during his period on the Ilves League team. We were happy when Lassi wanted to return to Ilves both after his WHL year and for this early season. We want to wish our club good luck to the next challenges in North America, says Sports Director Koskela.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
In the spring of 2018, Ilsi breeder Lassi Thomson, who was part of the Finnish world under-18 champions, played in the 2018-2019 North American WHL junior series in the Kelowna Rockets team, where he scored 17 + 24 = 41 in 63 matches and won the newcomers' points exchange. After his WHL season, the defender returned to Ilves and joined the Liiga team of his breeder club.
The Ottawa Senators acquired Thomson’s player rights in the first round of the 2019 NHL booking event on turn number 19. The defender signed a three-year deal with the Senators but played on loan for last season and this early season in Ilves.
Last season, Thomson scored 7 + 6 = 13 in 39 matches in the League and 2 + 4 = 6 in 14 matches in the Finnish national under-20 team. In the World Championships for under-20s played at the turn of last year, the defender, who was the captain of the Young Lions, scored 0 + 3 = 3 in 7 matches. This season, Thomson's balance in 18 League matches was 0 + 2 = 2.
- Lassi Thomson's holistic playing has developed during his period on the Ilves League team. We were happy when Lassi wanted to return to Ilves both after his WHL year and for this early season. We want to wish our club good luck to the next challenges in North America, says Sports Director Koskela.

No question his performance in Europe this season was poor, so let us hope that his game is more suited for the north american style and that he can get back on track in Belleville and prove his worth.

Heinola who was drafted one spot after Thomson has 14 points in 19 games placing him 5th in defenseman scoring. Not saying he would have been a better pick, as it is still too early but those two will always be compared since they were picked so close together in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad