Las Vegas Expansion in 2017-18 Thread

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really think he will if he's assured he won't be claimed. Why wouldn't you based on that promise F it means helping your team?

I'm not so certain, and I'm not certain the Avs would be willing to pay to protect Beauch.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm not so certain, and I'm not certain the Avs would be willing to pay to protect Beauch.

What they're paying isn't to protect Beauchemin though. It's about protecting one of Zads/Barrie/EJ. Beauchemin would be protected by doing nothing.

I feel like this concept has already been talked about by Beauchemin. They want to know what options they have going forward before heading into this draft/free agent week. It's not a difficult conversation to have with Beauchemin either. It's not like you're saying to him "you're a weak link, would you be willing to do this." You're saying "the ball is in your court. We're not asking you to waive so we can move you, we're asking you to waive so we can keep everyone."

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What they're paying isn't to protect Beauchemin though. It's about protecting one of Zads/Barrie/EJ. Beauchemin would be protected by doing nothing.

I feel like this concept has already been talked about by Beauchemin. They want to know what options they have going forward before heading into this draft/free agent week. It's not a difficult conversation to have with Beauchemin either. It's not like you're saying to him "you're a week link, would you be willing to do this." You're saying "the ball is in your court. We're not asking you to waive so we can move you, we're asking you to waive so we can keep everyone."

The Avs will protect those 3 regardless, and Beauch knows that. It is about protecting Grigo, Soda, Comeau, and/or McLeod. Out of those, the Avs might lose Soda or Comeau... players who they might not mind losing.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The Avs will protect those 3 regardless, and Beauch knows that. It is about protecting Grigo, Soda, Comeau, and/or McLeod. Out of those, the Avs might lose Soda or Comeau... players who they might not mind losing.

Well I guess it depends if they'd prefer to go with the 3+7 option or the 8 skater option. If it costs a 3rd to get Beauchemin to waive it may be well worth it if it means being able to protect an additional 2 players. What they do this summer will affect that which is why I'm hoping they've had that talk. If those last 2 spots come down to guys like Comeau that's fine. You'll just do the 8 skater option no questions asked. But if those last two spots come down to guys like Kerby Rychel, Grigorenko or Victor Rask the option of getting Beauchemin to waive and giving up a pick becomes a lot more desirable.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well I guess it depends if they'd prefer to go with the 3+7 option or the 8 skater option. If it costs a 3rd to get Beauchemin to waive it may be well worth it if it means being able to protect an additional 2 players. What they do this summer will affect that which is why I'm hoping they've had that talk. If those last 2 spots come down to guys like Comeau that's fine. You'll just do the 8 skater option no questions asked. But if those last two spots come down to guys like Kerby Rychel, Grigorenko or Victor Rask the option of getting Beauchemin to waive and giving up a pick becomes a lot more desirable.

Potentially, but no matter what, each team only loses 1 player. It might just be easier to trade Vegas a pick to select a Holden/Comeau/Soda than to worry about having anybody waive.

Barring a huge season, I don't think Grigo would be selected even if exposed.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Potentially, but no matter what, each team only loses 1 player. It might just be easier to trade Vegas a pick to select a Holden/Comeau/Soda than to worry about having anybody waive.

Barring a huge season, I don't think Grigo would be selected even if exposed.

Oooooh I didn't even consider that line of thinking. I remember the last few expansion drafts teams were offered compensation for NOT taking specific player but I didn't think of offering a little extra compensation for Las Vegas to actually take one specific player.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Beauch may want to leave by then.

By then, this FO could very well have made it an attractive option to go back closer to Cali and play on an equally good team.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
So, LV will be taking 30 players. We know 1st and 2nd year guys will be exempt, as well as all prospects. So, it's safe to say they likely won't be taking a waivers exempt player in the draft. That means the NHL fully expect and more or less forces LV to trade away 7 players who they select. It will be interesting for teams to play on that and see if they can get some bargains they would otherwise have no access to.

kulenova seka

Didn't really follow this expansion story, but is Quebec ruled out completely or not ?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So, LV will be taking 30 players. We know 1st and 2nd year guys will be exempt, as well as all prospects. So, it's safe to say they likely won't be taking a waivers exempt player in the draft. That means the NHL fully expect and more or less forces LV to trade away 7 players who they select. It will be interesting for teams to play on that and see if they can get some bargains they would otherwise have no access to.

I think that is smart by the NHL. It allows Vegas to package up some players to teams looking for some depth.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Knowing Roy, he'll probably protect Holden and expose one Zads.

Too be honest, it'll be much easier for us than say St Louis. Who would you protect out of all these players?

1. Pietrangelo *
2. Bouwmeester *
3. Shattenkirk *
4. Gunnarson *
5. Edmundson
6. Bortuzzo
7. Parayko *
8. Lindholm

That's 5 defense I'd like to secure. On Avs I'd protect:

1. Johnson *
2. Barrie *
3. Zadorov *
4. Bigras (maybe)

If it's 8 skaters and a goalie: Johnson, Barrie, Zadorov, Mackinnon, Duchene, Rantanen, Landeskog, Grigorenko & Pickard.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Too be honest, it'll be much easier for us than say St Louis. Who would you protect out of all these players?

1. Pietrangelo *
2. Bouwmeester *
3. Shattenkirk *
4. Gunnarson *
5. Edmundson
6. Bortuzzo
7. Parayko *
8. Lindholm

1. Johnson *
2. Barrie *
3. Zadorov *
4. Bigras (maybe)

If it's 8 skaters and a goalie: Johnson, Barrie, Zadorov, Mackinnon, Duchene, Rantanen, Landeskog, Grigorenko & Pickard.

We wouldn't need to protect Bigras, he'll be a second year pro.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco

1. Pietrangelo *
2. Bouwmeester *
3. Shattenkirk *
4. Gunnarson *
5. Edmundson
6. Bortuzzo
7. Parayko *
8. Lindholm

Yeah I was looking at them too. Not to mention a better bang for buck on all of them. It's possible that even if Beauch is available he won't be picked. In 2000 you could have gotten veterans like Wendel Clark, Mark Messier, Ulf Samuelsson, Claude Lemieux, Doug Gilmour as they were left unprotected and weren't selected. Mind you this was during Messier's Vancouver days where the only people making calls for him were Lays Potato Chips. Also apparently Martin St. Louis was available for the expansion last time. That would have been a game-changer.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

1. Pietrangelo *
2. Bouwmeester *
3. Shattenkirk *
4. Gunnarson *
5. Edmundson
6. Bortuzzo
7. Parayko *
8. Lindholm

1. Johnson *
2. Barrie *
3. Zadorov *
4. Bigras (maybe)

I don't think they protect Gunnar, and Shatty probably doesn't re-sign due to cap space.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Since there's been so much misinformation out there to sift through, does anybody know the details on this rule?

All forwards and defensemen exposed for the draft must be under contract for the 2017-18 season.

Zadorov will be an RFA next summer, and doesn't have a contract for 2017-18. If they don't sign him by June 17th, does that mean he can't be exposed? Or is this rule poorly worded in the NHL.com article? My guess is they're only referring to UFA's but it's not clear.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Also, remember when Jiggy said our culture was a Vegas culture? Reckon players in Vegas will have a Vegas culture?

LOL

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Since there's been so much misinformation out there to sift through, does anybody know the details on this rule?

Zadorov will be an RFA next summer, and doesn't have a contract for 2017-18. If they don't sign him by June 17th, does that mean he can't be exposed? Or is this rule poorly worded in the NHL.com article? My guess is they're only referring to UFA's but it's not clear.

I don't see that, it says a minimum of 20 guys under contract have to be chosen. And I would interpret under contract as under contract so those young RFAs I do think some teams might fiddle with giving them only 1 year deals or leaving them unsigned if they plan to expose them to make it more difficult for Vegas to take.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com

Expansion rules per Mirtle.

Avs will probably go with 8 skaters and 1 goalie

Protect:

Forwards: Duchene, Mackinnon, Landeskog and one of Grigorenko/Soderberg
Defense: Beauchemin (have to since NMC), Johnson, Barrie and Zadorov
Goalie: Pickard

Exempt: Rantanen, Compher, Bigras

Exposed:

Forwards: One of Grigorenko/Soderberg, Comeau, McLeod, Grimaldi, Martinsen
Defense: Gelinas
Goalie: Varlamov

I'd probably expose Soderberg over Grigorenko, Soda is 8 years older, and will be a 31 year old 2/3 C making 4.75 million for 3 more years. Not sure if Vegas would take him.

Obviously the only big piece risk losing is Varlamov. Hopefully Pickard takes the next step early this season, thus allowing the Avs to trade Varly for picks/prospects (won't need expansion protection), and bring in an older vet to play back-up.

Another concern would be Gelinas not playing enough games. If he doesn't play 30 games this season, the Avs would have to make another defenseman available. I imagine they sign a bottom pairing RHD to a 2 year contract, whom they won't care losing in expansion (Gryba/Scheen).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad