L'Art Scelleur - Part II - Recovery Edition

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't see him trying it on a breakaway but in a shootout sure, it's not like he's shied away from doing the fancy stuff before.

I'm actually quite surprised he doesn't get used more in the shootout. Everybody talked about how good Desharnais was the last year couple years in the shootouts, yet Eller was just as good and not a peep. He hasn't even taken a shot this year despite Desharnais and Galchenyuk not doing all that well.

I thought he was used this year. Either way I agree with you, DD and him are our best SO guys and if DD is used I don't see why Eller isn't. Both can win the game in the SO for us.

Galchenyuk chokes in the SO a bit so that sucks.

One guy with so much skill they never use is Subban, what gives?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I thought he was used this year. Either way I agree with you, DD and him are our best SO guys and if DD is used I don't see why Eller isn't. Both can win the game in the SO for us.

I'm not sure he chokes so much as he telegraphs what he's doing. A goalie just has to stay even and do the splits and he'll stop Galchenyuk 90% of the time. I'd like to see him just shoot instead of deke, he's got a laser of a shot he should use it and keep the goalie guessing.

As for Subban, I assume he doesn't do well in the shootouts when the team practices it. But that's just a guess, I'd love to see him pull a Souray

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Eller had one attempt this season.

DD, Galchenyuk and PAP all have 6 attempts. PAP has 4 goals, Galcheyuk has 2 and DD has 1.

Last season DD was 5/7 and Eller 3/4.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Going by the eye test I don't think anyone would tell you DD played a better game than Eller yesterday. Thomas dragging down that line cost Eller/Sekac some points.

Again, it's the winger's fault. But when DD makes some points, he's is being dragged by the wingers... I see a pattern here... /sigh. When DD was put on the third line with Parenteau and Prust, he was making some points. Probably because of his talented wingers...

Honestly guys, stop comparing the two using point contributions. It should be obvious to anyone now that Eller's strength is NOT as offensive centre. He has good flashes, true, but he is not consistent enough. I'm very happy with Eller on the third line, and as much as I like the idea of AG as our #1 centre, I don't mind having DD as second C with AG on his wing FOR THIS SEASON if it works, to be reevaluated next year. Surprisingly, I like the combo of Plecky and Pax and I don't mind that being our first line.

I would like to see the current line for a few games.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Loved his game against the Islanders. He is, along with Sekac, probably our best puck possession forward. When the two are put together, good things happen.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Again, it's the winger's fault. But when DD makes some points, he's is being dragged by the wingers... I see a pattern here... /sigh. When DD was put on the third line with Parenteau and Prust, he was making some points. Probably because of his talented wingers...

DD has 6 ES points in 15 games -1 since he doesn't play with patch. Over a season of 82 games it would give him 33 ES points. It's better than Eller but not by much. Eller has 14 ES points in 39 games which would give him 29 ES points over a season of 82 games.

Let's be honest for a sec. Patch his our best forward and anyone playing with him will see his production rise by 5-10 points over a season of 82 games including Lars Eller.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Honestly guys, stop comparing the two using point contributions. It should be obvious to anyone now that Eller's strength is NOT as offensive centre. He has good flashes, true, but he is not consistent enough. I'm very happy with Eller on the third line, and as much as I like the idea of AG as our #1 centre, I don't mind having DD as second C with AG on his wing FOR THIS SEASON if it works, to be reevaluated next year. Surprisingly, I like the combo of Plecky and Pax and I don't mind that being our first line.

Well did you even watch the last 2 games? Eller was not only good, he was excellent. He set up Sekaec several time and his line was absolutely dominant on the forecheck and puck posession. It sucks that it didn't show on the stats sheet but Eller's line played two very good games, giving the team a lot of momentum.

Im pretty sure Therrien is very happy with the way our third line played in the last 2 games.. Eller's line was actually much better than DD's line in the first 2 periods in the last game.. until the 2nd line scored a PP goal and then DD rocketed one.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
DD has 6 ES points in 15 games -1 since he doesn't play with patch. Over a season of 82 games it would give him 33 ES points. It's better than Eller but not by much. Eller has 14 ES points in 39 games which would give him 29 ES points over a season of 82 games.

Let's be honest for a sec. Patch his our best forward and anyone playing with him will see his production rise by 5-10 points over a season of 82 games including Lars Eller.

You are seriously including games where he played at wing, not his natural position, into this?? Let's put Eller on the wing and see how well he does there....

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Well did you even watch the last 2 games? Eller was not only good, he was excellent. He set up Sekaec several time and his line was absolutely dominant on the forecheck and puck posession. It sucks that it didn't show on the stats sheet but Eller's line played two very good games, giving the team a lot of momentum.

Im pretty sure Therrien is very happy with the way our third line played in the last 2 games.. Eller's line was actually much better than DD's line in the first 2 periods in the last game.. until the 2nd line scored a PP goal and then DD rocketed one.

Did you read what I said? I like Eller on the third line. My point however is that this guy gets so many excuses all the time (not the right winger, etc) it gets tiring. Eller will be and always be an awesome third liner. But I don't believe one second he would do great on the first line. Stop blaming his wingers for his average production.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Nobody produces consistently from the third line without PP time. You complain about people always making excuses, maybe you should stop holding him to a ridiculous standard in order to claim he's not a good enough.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
You are seriously including games where he played at wing, not his natural position, into this?? Let's put Eller on the wing and see how well he does there....

Let's put Eller on the PP and let him played with Max to see how well he does there.....shall we?

Did you read what I said? I like Eller on the third line. My point however is that this guy gets so many excuses all the time (not the right winger, etc) it gets tiring. Eller will be and always be an awesome third liner. But I don't believe one second he would do great on the first line. Stop blaming his wingers for his average production.

It's not excuses, it's more about dumb expectation from a guy who played 3rd line minutes and gets 3rd line wingers.

You jump from 3rd to 1st.....Hmmmm, DD is playing now with Galchenyuk and Gallagher and we all know how well Eller did with those linesmates, remember the EGG line?
The Double-D, Double-G line, lol!

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I dunno you said when DD was put on the 3rd line he did well. I don't know about you but i did not see DD plays on the 2nd/3rd line much beside the last couple of games as a winger. He surely did not play enough on the 3rd line in the last 3 years as a center to conclude anything.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Desharnais is fine on the wings, he can focus on offense more.

Further he wasn't doing too well at center regardless.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Far from a DD fan. but do you honestly think that Eller is 1,2 line center?

Nope i don't. I think he is fine as a 3rd line center. But i'm really sick of seeing DD gets a better score than Eller in the weekly and monthly bulletins and people arguing it is well deserved cause he has more points.

It doesn't make any sense to compere the points of a guy playing an average of 14 minutes (ES+PP) to a guy playing an average of 17 minutes (ES+PP). Every 5 games DD has the equivalent of an extra game of offensive ice time over Eller. If he would be better than Eller he should have clearly more points than him (like Plekanec) not 8 more points. DD is 3rd in the forwards for ES ice time right behind Plekanec (only 7 minutes less overall) and he is the most used center on the PP.

I'm not saying DD is awful. I'm not a DD hater and anyway that's not the point of this topic. I mean he is okay. But he is not any better than Eller right now.

Eller is fine as a 3rd line center. He should be producing a little bit more but it's simply un-realistic to expect a 3rd line center to do 45-50 points when not playing on the PP. Eller has 15 points in 39 games. 3 more points and he would be on pace for a 38 points season which is good for a 3rd line player who gets almost 0 PP time.

Eller is fine. In fact this year our depth is fine and has been producing enough. Offensively speaking our problem is on the top 2 lines. We have no player in the top 30 right now. Here is what our depth players would do on a 82 games season at the same pace they are producing right now.

Eller 17B 32P
Sekac 16B 33P
Weise 12B 32P
Prust 6B 20P

That's good depth production if you ask me from 3rd and 4th line players with 3rd and 4th line offensive ice time.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Pretty interesting that Lars Eller said he rather wants to play center and Alex Galchenyuk would rather wants to play wing. Sometimes, when I read people write things about Eller, I'm just wondering if they see all the defensive work he's doing on his line? You know, all the extra responsibilities that comes with the position. Yes, it helps that Sekac is a champion at backchecking but Eller's work is sometimes underrated from posters who only check stats line.

I like Desharnais as a playmaker. He has pretty good hockey sense and can dish out that great pass for a goal. He can score goals but is mainly looking for that pass instead of shooting. However, watching him play defense is his own zone is pretty painful (coming from a guy who watched 6-7 games at the BC so far from the behind the goals view which is a completely different perspective than the TV view).

The thing I find baffling is the posters who don't like Eller and always bring their comments after a bad play despite him playing very well for the entire game before that. The same can be said about Desharnais. I guess one day people will realize how important Eller & Desharnais are to the team with their strengths and weaknesses.

Last but not least, we will see how fortunate we are to have Eller at the 3C position especially during the last stretch and playoffs.

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I dunno you said when DD was put on the 3rd line he did well. I don't know about you but i did not see DD plays on the 2nd/3rd line much beside the last couple of games as a winger. He surely did not play enough on the 3rd line in the last 3 years as a center to conclude anything.

Ok, I was referring to the short period when Eller was injured, about 10 games ago I think. AG was first C, Pleky 2nd C and DD 3rd C with PAP and Prust. In those 4-5 games he did very well despite not having Max with him. That line was actually fun to watch. When Eller came back DD was put on the wing.

It is just that in my opinion, if Eller had the potential of playing more minutes in a more offensive line, it would have been tried a long time ago (in fact it was tried without much success). People are claiming that if he were to play more minutes, more PP etc he would do better point wise. I don't think so, I mean not that big a difference. But he is a beast on the third line IMO.

Honestly, if the current setup Pleky-DD-Eller (in that order) works, I will be a happy panda. AG on center would be great but I think that with the current roster the team is more balanced with him on the wing.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Pretty interesting that Lars Eller said he rather wants to play center and Alex Galchenyuk would rather wants to play wing. Sometimes, when I read people write things about Eller, I'm just wondering if they see all the defensive work he's doing on his line? You know, all the extra responsibilities that comes with the position. Yes, it helps that Sekac is a champion at backchecking but Eller's work is sometimes underrated from posters who only check stats line.
Galchenyuk never said this. He said he's more comfortable playing the wing, which is pretty normal considering he's played there the past 3 years. He also added that he never approached Therrien to switch him back to wing, Therrien went to see him.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Hey! At least people are not arguing that he's got #1-2C 'upside' anymore. :handclap:

But yeah, I think him and Sekac will be great for depth scoring come playoffs time.

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
My main complaint with Therrien and his usage of Eller is his reluctance to play him on the PP. I would swap Gallagher and Eller since the PP could use a big body to screen the opposing goalie. Also Gallagher is very unproductive on the PP and is prone to making low percentage passes that get picked off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad