Larsson's Future

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
George Malik posted a translation of an article on Filip Larsson's groin injury in Hockeysverige.se. Maybe one of the Swedes on this board can give their translation.

Unfortunately, the severity of the injury makes me question his future development and long term potential.
I wonder if that is one reason the Wing's burned two draft picks in this draft on goalies. Hopefully, things will work out for him in Denver.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Sounds like a bad groin injury but I wouldn’t worry this early on. Could be 4-5 years until he’s NHL ready.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why does a groin injury make you question his future? It says in that article he thinks he will be ready for the start of the season in October.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I'm terrible at translating to i'm not gonna do it, but basicly his groin moved/streched(?) 11 millimeters and his rehab has taken quite a while. He only recently started on-ice training but the groin injury still lingers which makes it difficult for him to fully practice.

The interview didn't seem very doom ang gloom tbh, it was a terrible injury but it seems like he himself is optimistic atleast. I wouldn't expect him to have a great season though, missing summer training and having the groin still linger isn't a great recipe for success but it doesn't seem like his career is ruined.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
The Red Wings were probably never in any rush to get Larsson to the pro's unless he really tore it up in Denver. If needed, he can stay at the college level for 4 years and then get 2 years in the minors, or another year in the minors for every year he forgoes at the college level.

As for the two G picks this past summer, Larssons injury might be a minor factor but there are others that are more likely:

>The luxury of having a ton of picks in the draft
>Brattstrom's age almost makes it like they drafted another goalie back in 2015 or 2016, so he's closer to making an impact or providing organizational depth at the pro level
>Petruzzelli didn't exactly meet some of the hype he had last summer

If they wait as long as possible to sign and/or bring their G prospects to the pro's, they have at least one entering the system each year for the next 5 seasons:

18/19 - Rybar
19/20 - Perry, Fulcher
20/21 - Brattstrom
21/22 - Petruzelli
22/23 - Larsson, Eliasson
Whenever - JVP

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Why does a groin injury make you question his future? It says in that article he thinks he will be ready for the start of the season in October.

Physiologically, the muscle fibers do not regenerate. Scar tissue forms at the site of the tear, and the surrounding tissue hypertrophies in an attempt to compensate for strength. Significant scaring reduces the ability for the muscle to stretch.

Considering a goalie depends on strength and flexibility, this could be a problem. Especially since it sounds like he is still symptomatic 6 months after the injury.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
11 mm is a hell of a tear people really under estimate the strength and conditioning it takes to be a goalie. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I wasn't ready to weigh in on Filip Larson's NHL future for another 2 seasons of work under his belt, so I hope can can recover and thrive in Denver and continue his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad