Larsson for the 3rd overall pick... Yes or no.

• Thread starter DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
  • Start date

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
sounds awesome. until 2-3 years from now when our defense is awful

youre kidding right?

martyowns prediction:

when jon merril end his first pro season as a Devil, people will look back on this and go yeaaahhh…I’d have made that trade.

top 3 pick plus #9 pick with a deep blueline that is itching for our famous new jersey devils defensemen ‘throwing into the fire’ stunting program? sign me up

and, for the radicals that are already salivating or copying this text, I love larsson. I think he’ll be a great dman for us, and he has the right attitude. theres certainly a spot for him here, but lets stop calling him the second coming. especially when you can flip on the telly and see Hamilton playing like a poised veteran. if a move like that existed, I would hope lou would take it. actually, either way I don’t care. we’re still getting a good draft pick, but this would be a chance for an OFFENSIVE MINDED gamebreaker.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

it has nothing to do with our lack of offensive prospects. Its the fact that larsson is our best d prospect weve had since niedermayer and you want to deal him for a winger after a promising 2 years.

2 years ago you wanted to do a parise for weber swap because stud dmen are so much more valuable than stud wingers. Yet you want to deal a stud d prospect for a stud wing prospect, just hypocritical.

And no glenwo, its not so much to do with the loss of my avatar. Me and datw have always clashed, so its no different in this case. The difference is the influx of new posters that talk out of their ass and clearly have no idea what theyre talking about yet speak in matter of fact fashion. Its no secret the best posters from hf circa 2010 are long gone

Weber was a proven beast at the time of my proposal, Larsson is in the same ballpark as Drouin IMO.

Larsson did play in 100 NHL games but that doesn't really do anything for me since he wasn't a stud coming out of the gates ala Doughty/Subban/Pietrangelo/Karlsson, so we'd be moving potential for potential. Maybe the reason I wouldn't be against such a move is because I don't see Larsson as that legit #1 all around d-man everyone does.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Weber was a proven beast at the time of my proposal, Larsson is in the same ballpark as Drouin IMO.

Larsson did play in 100 NHL games but that doesn't really do anything for me since he wasn't a stud coming out of the gates ala Doughty/Subban/Pietrangelo/Karlsson, so we'd be moving potential for potential. Maybe the reason I wouldn't be against such a move is because I don't see Larsson as that legit #1 all around d-man everyone does.

What do Doughty/Karlsson/Pietrangelo/Subban have in common? They are dynamic offensive defenseman. Meaning that their talent and potential will always surface almost immediately and are most obvious because it stands out in goal scoring and point production. However, these players also reach their ceiling much earlier in their career. Larsson is a completely different type of player. He isn't an offensive defenseman like those 4, so he's not going to wow you right away.

Look at Chara/Lidstrom/Pronger, who were elite two-way defenseman. It took years for their games to develop. In Chara's fourth year in the NHL he had 2 goals and 7 assists in 82 games while posting a -27 plus-minus. If you want an elite NHL defenseman and not just an offensive dynamo, you need to give him time to develop. We don't know if Larsson will reach that level yet, but we also don't know if Drouin's game will translate either. 2 years ago Pierre called getting Larsson at 4 the "steal of the draft". If management had your patience we would be in deep ****.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
What do Doughty/Karlsson/Pietrangelo/Subban have in common? They are dynamic offensive defenseman. Meaning that their talent and potential will always surface almost immediately and are most obvious because it stands out in goal scoring and point production. However, these players also reach their ceiling much earlier in their career. Larsson is a completely different type of player. He isn't an offensive defenseman like those 4, so he's not going to wow you right away.

Look at Chara/Lidstrom/Pronger, who were elite two-way defenseman. It took years for their games to develop. In Chara's fourth year in the NHL he had 2 goals and 7 assists in 82 games while posting a -27 plus-minus. If you want an elite NHL defenseman and not just an offensive dynamo, you need to give him time to develop. We don't know if Larsson will reach that level yet, but we also don't know if Drouin's game will translate either. 2 years ago Pierre called getting Larsson at 4 the "steal of the draft". If management had your patience we would be in deep ****.

i mean, all fair points....but we're stocked with those defensemen. and looking at our forward depth, we're kind of already in deep ****. i know trading larsson would suck, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices to fill holes

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
i mean, all fair points....but we're stocked with those defensemen. and looking at our forward depth, we're kind of already in deep ****. i know trading larsson would suck, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices to fill holes

We are not stocked with elite defenseman. Every other prospect we have on defense are second round picks or lower who have yet to play, much less prove anything, in the NHL. Adam Larsson was the best defensive prospect in his entire draft and has played over 100 games. (Not to mention he is younger than Urbom, Gelinas, and Merrill).

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009

I agree with this man. Get him a donut and coffee on the house please.

Patience is a virtue.

Semak

Stop the Madness

Things might have calmed down for a page or two but they are bound to flare up again.

Going to say it here and in the other thread:

Being out of the POs sucks. So with little else to talk about, the draft is getting a lot of miles. Everyone's research, opinions, links, etc. are welcomed and appreciated. But if you guys can't play nicely, then it's time to take a break.

You can't harp on one subject over and over, day after day and not expect it to get a bit tedious and for posters not to get on each other's nerves with the constant posting of strong opinions.

There is very little new news or updates to discuss, so perhaps consider taking a break from here. Go for a walk, get some air, perhaps go play the sport that you love and can't stop posting about every day and night. That's what I did this weekend.

Because, if you can't play nice, it's time to start passing out the infractions and banning people and I don't want to do that. You don't want me to do that, do you?

Take a break. The internet and the Boards will be here when you get back.

This goes for the "flame fanners" too ;)

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
We are not stocked with elite defenseman. Every other prospect we have on defense are second round picks or lower who have yet to play, much less prove anything, in the NHL. Adam Larsson was the best defensive prospect in his entire draft and has played over 100 games. (Not to mention he is younger than Urbom, Gelinas, and Merrill).

honestly we dont know what we're stocked with quite yet...but if half of them fill their potential, we should pull the deal. will we lose next season and the next? probably, a lot. sucks for marty. but thats what a rebuild is, something that LL doesnt apparently believe in. hence why we all sit here, hoping for lou to re-sign patty and clarktard like thats all we need to turn it around

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

The order in wich a prospect is picked is pretty irrelevant IMO. We landed Merrill in the 2nd round and everyone has him sloted as a top pairing d-man or what about P.K. Subban being picked in the 2nd round as well, isn't he a #1 d-man who went well after a bunch of player that won't even dream about being as good as Subban?

I just think we're giving too much credit to Larsson because he was our 4th overall pick and he was talked about for a full 12 months before his draft year as being a stud in the making.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
honestly we dont know what we're stocked with quite yet...but if half of them fill their potential, we should pull the deal. will we lose next season and the next? probably, a lot. sucks for marty. but thats what a rebuild is, something that LL doesnt apparently believe in. hence why we all sit here, hoping for lou to re-sign patty and clarktard like thats all we need to turn it around

And if we do lose next season and the one after...McDavid!

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
No I don't believe trading Larsson is smart at all right now, even for the 3rd overall pick. Just because they're the new shiny toy doesn't mean they are worth Larsson. He has been great since joining the Devils and is still so young. Don't defensemen usually take longer to develop as well? I see no point in trading away Larsson for another pick, when we just drafted Larsson a few years ago. Don't jump the gun on Larsson when it's only been 2 years, the guy is still way too young and has too much potential to trade away.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
And if we do lose next season and the one after...McDavid!

I want McDavid so bad.

Enough to e-mail Bettman and Daly next year and 2015 telling them why NJ is a good market to build with him. Just incase it is rigged, gotta cover all the bases.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426

then why are we moving a piece that apparently has questionable value to a team that will say yeah hes no good well take this better kid. ive seen the future and hes going to be a better player, so keep ur larssons and henriques. also lou does not have the minerals anymore to make such a move. stop trying to peddle larsson away dude. give it the **** upppppp.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I've been saying Larsson is the one d-man I would not trade, so I'll stick to it here.

It is an interesting idea because Drouin and MacKinnon are rated very highly, but they, like every draftee, carries bust potential.

So roll with Larsson, and use our other young defensive assets to move up in the draft to land a top flight fwd.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I've been saying Larsson is the one d-man I would not trade, so I'll stick to it here.

just curious as to why? #4 overall? innocent question, i would never have conceived moving him until i looked at the facts objectively

tsipka

Oct 3, 2008
The majority of Devils fans think we should not trade Larsson for #2/3. I think that settles this debate.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I really think the Hamilton/Larsson comparisons need some footnoting. They were drafted in the same year, yes, but they were rated the top two defensemen in the draft.

Beyond that, Hamilton's had the benefit of NOT being good enough to make the Bruins out of camp in his first season, and besides that, he also has the benefit of knowing the language, little to no culture shock, and being on a very very good team with excellent defensemen as partners.

Besides, he was scratched to start the playoffs just like Larsson. And when Hamilton drew in, despite putting up some offense, he hasn't exactly been a "poised veteran" unless we're comparing him to Doug Murray and Robyn Regehr. Larsson played more minutes (and much tougher minutes, judging by zone starts) than Hamilton and Larsson led the Devils' D in shot attempts in his measly five games.

I get that the two of them are probably gonna be compared for as long as we're alive, but now is not the time to decide who's better, especially with Hamilton showing some serious room for improvement on D so far in his career.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Put the 8 dmen fiasco aside and Larsson has a different, easier season. It was a tough one for a 20 years old dman but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, I guess.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The real question is do you trade Larsson for the #1 overall now that Roy dropped that potential bombshell lol

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
for those talking about hamilton, despite how great he looked for most of the year, ive seen a lot of struggles from him similar to those we have noticed in larsson as the final stretch of the regular season/playoffs has come.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
for those talking about hamilton, despite how great he looked for most of the year, ive seen a lot of struggles from him similar to those we have noticed in larsson as the final stretch of the regular season/playoffs has come.

I've seen a lot of the same *****ing and moaning on their board (I had to lurk there different times to know who was starting in goal for my fantasy team lol) about Julien scratching him as there was here about scratching Larsson and Fayne here. Kind of ironic that it worked out that way after all of the Hamilton >>> Larsson posts from mostly one guy earlier this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->