Confirmed with Link: Larkin signs (8 x $8.7)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'm cool with the contract. I would have really liked to get a big discount from Larkin so that we can start building that culture of "play for less so that we can build the best team in a cap environment" but I suppose it wasn't happening with Larkin. As it is, I think he's worth every penny and am happy to have him around for the long-haul.
I mean, I'm against that, to be honest. I want players to go for the amount they're worth. I'm happy for the team if they take a discount, but I don't want guys getting nickel and dimed and then complain about 200k here or 500k there. I'd rather the players have the money than f***in Chris Ilitch.

Scottgaf1

Nov 11, 2020
This signing allows the team to keep moving forward. Stevie can set deadline prices high and not feel bad if nobody bites.

Reactions: deca guard

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I mean, I'm against that, to be honest. I want players to go for the amount they're worth. I'm happy for the team if they take a discount, but I don't want guys getting nickel and dimed and then complain about 200k here or 500k there. I'd rather the players have the money than f***in Chris Ilitch.
The amount of money that we're extracting from Chris Illitch to give to the players will be the same regardless. What we're choosing between is Larkin making 7.7 mil a year and having another $4 mil player to go on his line and Larkin making 8.7 mil a year and having a 3 mil player on his line.

Tampa had all of this success because Stamkos, Hedman, Point and Kucherov took big discounts so that they could also have Palat and McDonagh on the team for these cup runs. It's not about changing the total salary. It's just about distributing it so that you can have both elite talent and depth.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
if I were Larkin I sure as hell wouldn't take a discount to stay with this team and i'd wager the same is probably true for most of this board

so it kinda just seems like an unfair expectation to even have to be honest

Reactions: odin1981

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
do you think yzerman watched the last two games and realized what the team looks like without larkin and immediately upped his offer?

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Happy it all got worked out and he is a lifer in the Winged Wheel. Its always best to have your C bleed Red.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Damn, I want a patio that is actually part of my house and the size of a studio apartment, and has a grill with it's own hood.
I wonder if he's still allegedly in the Corktown area.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Happy for Larks!! Paid up til he's 34. No more worrying about it

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
In a predicable fashion, this took way longer than needed to arrive at exactly the number everyone has been expecting.

But hey this is great news for the Wings and Larkin. Fair for both parties, I think. Larkin could have got a bit more per year in free agency.

It will be interesting to learn all the NMC/NTC conditions, assuming I didn't miss them already posted.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
The amount of money that we're extracting from Chris Illitch to give to the players will be the same regardless. What we're choosing between is Larkin making 7.7 mil a year and having another $4 mil player to go on his line and Larkin making 8.7 mil a year and having a 3 mil player on his line.

Tampa had all of this success because Stamkos, Hedman, Point and Kucherov took big discounts so that they could also have Palat and McDonagh on the team for these cup runs. It's not about changing the total salary. It's just about distributing it so that you can have both elite talent and depth.

Yeah, and those guys (except Stamkos) did it on their RFA deals. That was never anything but a kick the can down the road thing. And frankly, Stammer is making 200k less annually than what Larkin was under a much lower cap. The players you should be barking after are Seider, Raymond, Bert (if we re-sign him).

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I wish he would have signed before the Tampa game so we wouldn't be reeling and looking desperate.
For the love of f***. It's not reeling. It's not looking desperate. And even if it is... who gives a shit? They agreed to this deal because the TDL is in two days and either they wanted cost certainty on the Larkin front, they know they're dealing his buddy Tyler and they bent a little to mollify Larkin, or they're nuking the team from orbit and are now dealing a 8x8.7 Larkin vs a rental Larkin.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Damn, I want a patio that is actually part of my house and the size of a studio apartment, and has a grill with it's own hood.
Be good enough at hockey that you get a 5x6.1 million and 8x8.7 million dollar deal and you can have that too.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
do you think yzerman watched the last two games and realized what the team looks like without larkin and immediately upped his offer?

You will never convince me that if Bert gets dealt in the next couple days that this movement was not a "mollify Larkin because we're dealing his buddy" thing. Give him another couple million total (that you were budgeting anyway, I'm sure.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad