Larkin beats Mike Gartner's fastest skater record!

Rix

Jul 4, 2015
And 2/2 in the shootout with some beauty goals

The fake slap shot was awesome

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I mean it's an all star record for a skills competition. Nobody should care. It's like you get a free peanut butter cup that's it

Then why does anyone care that he "won"? Its just an all star competition, why should anyone care? Why does this thread exist?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Then why does anyone care that he "won"? Its just an all star competition, why should anyone care? Why does this thread exist?

91sn32Q.jpg

It's fun because he represents the Wings and he is really fast. And he got to showcase that in front of a large audience and surprised a lot of people.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Because it's supposed to be a fun event with some competition involved.
It's cool to see your guy win, even if it doesn't actually mean anything.

And it shows what we've all known about Larkin since he started the year with the Wings. He's a damn stud who is headed towards an outstanding career.

I don't get the handwringing about his running start or whatever... outside of jealous fans from the other 12 fanbases who could have had Larkin but took someone else (McEichel belonged before him).

The event was cool to watch and it was awesome to see Larkin tear it up.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
91sn32Q.jpg

It's fun because he represents the Wings and he is really fast. And he got to showcase that in front of a large audience and surprised a lot of people.

That, and did you see his response after doing it? Got done and the whole Eastern Conference bench were all about giving him props. You have to remember that an event like this is cool as hell for a 19 year old who literally grew up watching these guys that are now lining up to shake his hand.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Because it's supposed to be a fun event with some competition involved.
It's cool to see your guy win, even if it doesn't actually mean anything.

And it shows what we've all known about Larkin since he started the year with the Wings. He's a damn stud who is headed towards an outstanding career.

I don't get the handwringing about his running start or whatever... outside of jealous fans from the other 12 fanbases who could have had Larkin but took someone else (McEichel belonged before him).

The event was cool to watch and it was awesome to see Larkin tear it up.

I agree completely. My point is that people do care about things like this, despite what the guy I was replying to was saying.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Larkin continues to astound the hockey world. So many had not watched him play before this season(myself included) and his ability is amazing.

His wheels are elite. Such powerful and effortless skating. I realize now he and McDavid are the most gifted I've ever seen at generating speed and moving within as few strides across the entire rink. Seriously he is there and many hockey fan are impressed and wanting to see more.

With Dylan not even showing his best attempt in the speed competition proves how special his skating is. He tore up the 1st round, lol. What's crazy is the record hadn't been broken in 20 years. It's taken outside recognition for some of us to appreciate that Larkin is the real deal! The NHL has really taken to him I think it's great.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I agree completely. My point is that people do care about things like this, despite what the guy I was replying to was saying.

Yes but nobody cares about the records. If you break it you get a pat on the back

It's like if I were to complain shea Weber broke a record but he didn't wind up his shot exactly like the other guy did so unfair

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Honestly it shouldn't count. It is a big advantage to start off in full stride instead of having to spend those first few strides trying to get up to full speed.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The goalies didn't even try though lol

Still cool

I thought the only goalie who wasn't trying was Jonathan Quick. And for the shooters Benn for some reason looked unenthused. The rest were putting on a pretty good show.

The last shootout challenge was about the only redeeming quality of the whole competition. It's a fun display with a rapid succession of different players. What if NHL overtime was a blitz format like this, the entire team has to try a shootout then add up the winner. I'd get a kick out of watching Ericsson and Quincey on a breakaway.

By the way, anyone know why they canned the goalie races? :laugh:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Hey what about Larkin being chosen to represent in the stickhandling, that was also cool. Did anyone notice he never fully pulled his fumbled puck through the last obstacle? I bet they were crying about that on the main boards too...:laugh:

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I love the people arguing if it's legit, but does anyone argue when Weber and Chara break records with sticks that are 100x better then what Al Mac used?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hey what about Larkin being chosen to represent in the stickhandling, that was also cool. Did anyone notice he never fully pulled his fumbled puck through the last obstacle? I bet they were crying about that on the main boards too...:laugh:
Nah he pulled it back through, pretty slick. You could probably put Larkin in any event and he'd do okay. I mean it would have been fun to see him in the target shooting as well.

I love the people arguing if it's legit, but does anyone argue when Weber and Chara break records with sticks that are 100x better then what Al Mac used?
This so much. Not until now did I realize there are people that care about these records. It's just a fun little event and I'm sure the NHL decided that it was time to beat that 20 year old record so they gave a little bit of a running start. Does anyone think Larkin's record will stand more than 1 year? I don't. If he doesn't improve on it himself (by not stumbling), someone else will. Probably McDavid.

I mean you'll never know who the NHLs true fastest skater is anyway, since you're not including bottom 6 and 4th line players in these events.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I thought the only goalie who wasn't trying was Jonathan Quick. And for the shooters Benn for some reason looked unenthused. The rest were putting on a pretty good show.

The last shootout challenge was about the only redeeming quality of the whole competition. It's a fun display with a rapid succession of different players. What if NHL overtime was a blitz format like this, the entire team has to try a shootout then add up the winner. I'd get a kick out of watching Ericsson and Quincey on a breakaway.

By the way, anyone know why they canned the goalie races? :laugh:

I just hate that they spend forever on fastest skater and hardest shot which are both boring as hell to watch, and then they breeze through the shootout like nobody cares. No time for replays, no time to care about nice moves, half the time I don't even see whether a shot went in or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad