Laraque... the prophet

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

I think it's something that needs to be done.
It's not ahead of signing Vanek and Subban, no, but Bergevin can walk and chew gum at the same time, so why are you laughing?

"Replace/upgrade Parros" should be on the summer to-do list in my opinion.

Last edited:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I think it's something that needs to be done.
It's not ahead of signing Vanek and Subban, no, but Bergevin can walk and chew gum at the same time, so why are you laughing?

"Replace/upgrade Parros" should be on the summer to-do list in my opinion.
I honestly thought you were being sarcastic.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I honestly thought you were being sarcastic.

Nope, I think adding an enforcer should be on the to-do list. Moen, Prust, Tinordi, and Beaulieu for that matter should be fighting sparingly.

"Priority" might not have been the best word though ...

:laugh:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Nope, I think adding an enforcer should be on the to-do list. Moen, Prust, Tinordi, and Beaulieu for that matter should be fighting sparingly.

"Priority" might not have been the best word though ...

:laugh:
It was the word "priority" which got me. And yeah, I'm not opposed to fighting at all and I see its place but there are priorities and then there are the other things. Adding a fighter is "another thing".

Prust though... he's gotta stop fighting so much.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
GMs employ enforcers.

Sorry Kriss, that is fact.

I love the burden of proof that you place on people who dont mind fighting in the NHL.:laugh: Raw data. Even throwing out the religion comparison.

Let it go Kriss. You are on the wrong side of this discussion. If there were no playoff teams that did not have enforcers, you might have a valid beef. But, there are and you dont.

You are simply offering your opinion that is counter to reality. But that's what makes message boards fun.

Hey, I don't mind fighting. Never did. I think it's useless and stupid, but I don't mind it when it happens.

Every team in the NHL has enforcers. They play them once in a while, if they're really good, they can earn a spot for the whole year perhaps with reduced limits. But the vast majority of them spend plenty of time on the press gallery and spend close to 5min on the ice.
But sure, those guys are key ingredients to winning championships. Even if most of them don't even play when their team make the POs.

The thing is, we probably agree on whether or not we should have an enforcer. I think we do. As long as other teams have some, I think we should have at least one as well, and a good one. I've been wanting McGrattan for years.
But I'm not going to pretend like these guys are crucial to a team's performance. They're not. They're there solely to avenge some wrongdoing. That's it.

Stop lying to yourself. You know very well these guys do not influence the end result of games.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Hey, I don't mind fighting. Never did. I think it's useless and stupid, but I don't mind it when it happens.

Every team in the NHL has enforcers. They play them once in a while, if they're really good, they can earn a spot for the whole year perhaps with reduced limits. But the vast majority of them spend plenty of time on the press gallery and spend close to 5min on the ice.
But sure, those guys are key ingredients to winning championships. Even if most of them don't even play when their team make the POs.

The thing is, we probably agree on whether or not we should have an enforcer. I think we do. As long as other teams have some, I think we should have at least one as well, and a good one. I've been wanting McGrattan for years.
But I'm not going to pretend like these guys are crucial to a team's performance. They're not. They're there solely to avenge some wrongdoing. That's it.

Stop lying to yourself. You know very well these guys do not influence the end result of games.

If they have zero influence then why do you want one?

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Really ...

The only reason we even care is because of Boston and maybe Toronto. Boston has a good team, which, I hate to admit, could verge on great if they **** and played hockey.

We own Boston ... can't deny it ... Take the angst out of Lucic and Chara and Marchand they're still great players. I don't see a need to have to be drawn into their BS. Let them yap all they want...

BGL has not earned a right to an opinion. If he was so right, then he'd be in the league.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
To think enforcers have 0 influence on the game is nuts. Whether you like fighting or not that belief is nuts.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Parrots is useless. We should get another enforcer, but I'd rather one that isn't completely useless. Guy makes fill look like a speed skater

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Oh look, it's izzy75, the guy who was desperate for Boston to beat Montreal and can't spell Canadiens. Definitely not a troll.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
so if parros steps up for a weise, how does moen get injured ?
if parros takes on the heavies to allow prust to punch in his weight class, how does that hurt prust ?

Why didn't Parros step up for Prust in the December 5th match against the Bruins? Moen went after Hamilton for boarding Prust, Prust ended up fighting Thornton, Parros was on the ice the whole time and did nothing.

We already know from the above that Prust will still fight Thornton even if Parros is on the ice. We know that he'd still fight Lucic with an enforcer on the same team as him (fought Lucic when playing with Rupp and again when playing with Boogard). So where does this myth about having an enforcer meaning that Prust won't fight heavyweights come from? Prust fights who he will, when he will, and always has.

sandysan said:
you run a hab in the numbers, or run the golaie, your right of refusal is revoked ( as it should be).

Drop the gloves or not, its your choice but that choice has ZERO to do with whether parros drops his and starts throwing.

Southernhab made the same claim the other day and then ran a mile when I asked him to show me some examples from Parros' career of him doing that kind of 'no choice' enforcing. So, I'll ask you the same thing and see if you can actually back up your claim that that's the kind of enforcer Parros is.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
The burden of proof should always be in the person claiming something, not the person that disagrees with that statement. It's like if I say there is a teapot orbiting the sun and you don't believe that, you shouldn't have the burden to prove that, I would.

There was a study made last year about the effect of fights during a hockey game. The guy used shots for and shot against 5 minutes prior to the fight and 5 minutes after the fight to determine if the flow of the game was altered in any way. Turns out it had equal effect for and against. Sometimes you shot more, sometimes they shot more. The effect were a wash. Is someone wants to go and dig that. They also interviewed the guy on HC@Noon.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So they have an influence then?

Nope. We don't have to dress him, and there's no influence on the end result of the game. They don't score goals, they don't pass, they don't help sustain puck pressure in the offensive zone, they don't create much of anything. All they do is allegedly make other players ''feel'' better. Something you obviously cannot measure. You're a pretty smart scholar. If you're going to claim something, then you should be able to prove it, so how are you going to prove that enforcers hold a positive impact on games? Because if it's so obvious that they do, there should be an overwhelming amount of evidence showing it.

To think enforcers have 0 influence on the game is nuts. Whether you like fighting or not that belief is nuts.
You're going to have a hard time proving how Parros influences the game he's played in, and in a positive way no less.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Why didn't Parros step up for Prust in the December 5th match against the Bruins? Moen went after Hamilton for boarding Prust, Prust ended up fighting Thornton, Parros was on the ice the whole time and did nothing.

We already know from the above that Prust will still fight Thornton even if Parros is on the ice. We know that he'd still fight Lucic with an enforcer on the same team as him (fought Lucic when playing with Rupp and again when playing with Boogard). So where does this myth about having an enforcer meaning that Prust won't fight heavyweights come from? Prust fights who he will, when he will, and always has.

Southernhab made the same claim the other day and then ran a mile when I asked him to show me some examples from Parros' career of him doing that kind of 'no choice' enforcing. So, I'll ask you the same thing and see if you can actually back up your claim that that's the kind of enforcer Parros is.

prost tangles with bishop a scrum ensues and parros starts wailing on gudas, to the point there was a thread about how parrots is a spot picker.

Orr gets all hands with subban, gets him in a headlock, parrots peels Orr of him and they go (Orr was willing in this one). Parrots knows his role and , unlike BGL will fight when called.

and that doesn't change the fact that no matter how "bad" of an enforcer Parros is, he is our ONLY heavyweight and by leaps and bounds our best fighter. Unless you haven't seen enough of our tough guys getting killed punching above their weight class.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Parrots is useless. We should get another enforcer, but I'd rather one that isn't completely useless. Guy makes fill look like a speed skater

Is Parrots a clever nickname for Parros or just auto-correct from a cell phone?

Caught that, made me lol :laugh:

If we're looking for a nickname: I've been partial to 'Ex-Parros' for a while :nod:

BeTl0uUCIAAQnU5.png

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
prost tangles with bishop a scrum ensues and parros starts wailing on gudas, to the point there was a thread about how parrots is a spot picker.

Seriously, this is the best you got? There's a bit of a scrum and Parros finds someone (who he has previous history with) to throw a few blows at?

Likewise, Colton Orr. Pretty classic agreed goon fight.

But no actual examples of Parros going out and starting pounding on someone in retaliation for something done to a team mate.

Unless you haven't seen enough of our tough guys getting killed punching above their weight class.

No, I haven't seen him stopping it happening. Are you going to refute my claim that Prust has fought above his weight class his whole career, heavyweight on the roster or not?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
No, I haven't seen him stopping it happening. Are you going to refute my claim that Prust has fought above his weight class his whole career, heavyweight on the roster or not?

So you are okay with prust ( as a middleweight) being on the losing end when he punches up?

when the habs signed Stashy, who on the habs was the happiest? Brandon Prust. But yeah lets presume that prust is fine getting killed by real heavyweights.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
So you are okay with prust ( as a middleweight) being on the losing end when he punches up?

What does it matter whether I'm ok with it? That's the kind of player he is, and always has been.

What was the point of signing him if you then want him to change the kind of player he is?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Corncob

Nicklas Grossmann, that big ole goon with 4 fights in his entire NHL career.

To get the full impact, close your eyes and simply listen.

Myth.....................blown!!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

when the habs signed Stashy, who on the habs was the happiest? Brandon Prust. But yeah lets presume that prust is fine getting killed by real heavyweights.

And yet Prust is more injured than last year, and also less productive. All in all, he's had a worse year.

There's zero proof that Parros's presence changed anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad