Laraque... the prophet

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
On TSN this AM, Laraque reiterated his, how prophetic, words from the summer. Parros was not the right man for the job. But he added something else I never thought about... Laraque said that teams that can't enforce properly, take it on the chin - quite literally - by having to absorb physical abuse all season. He claims those teams start the playoffs with a disadvantage - banged-up and injured. Kinda sounds like out Montreal Canadians.

Only historical revisionists could ignore the fact that Brandon Prust is damaged goods because of all that he had to incur last year. All that fighting and protecting ruined him. He'll never be the same player.

It's a bloody shame, and someone should be held accountable.

So long as there is fighting in the NHL, we need players to protect other players... to hold other teams accountable. Mark my words, someone is going to injure PK and/or Emelin, and we won't be able to do anything about it. I mean, besides dialling 911.

PricePkPatch*

Woah. It took 5 hours before a negative thread appears...

IT'S A NEW RECORD!! :yo:

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Pretty low for Laraque to brag about being right about Parros.. Parros suffered an unfortanate career threatning injury opening game this season that set him off course and it had nothing to do with his ability to fight it's how he got dragged down winning the fight.

Laraque needs to **** imo

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
Pretty low for Laraque to brag about being right about Parros.o

Wasn't bragging... he was asked. And he was right.

The only question is... will he be right about Montreal limping into the playoffs? I never heard that argument before, and thought it was interesting.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Wasn't bragging... he was asked. And he was right.

The only question is... will he be right about Montreal limping into the playoffs? I never heard that argument before, and thought it was interesting.

How is he right? It was a freak incident.

Maybe the Habs should go after the most feared enforcer in the league, John Scott. Look at how he turned those Sabres into an intimidating team!

Or perhaps the next best enforcer that can actually play a bit of hockey, Colton Orr. Look at those scary Leafs.

Who the hell is Laraque to talk about effective enforcers? He used us for a big pay day, he can **** himself.

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
Yeah, they're so banged up that they're 7-1 in their last 8 games.

Really banged up.

Laraque was talking about the post-season... the season where everything turns up a few notches.

I thought I was clear about that qualifier.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Laraque was talking about the post-season... the season where everything turns up a few notches.

I thought I was clear about that qualifier.

No one will use a complete enforcer in the playoffs anyways. Someone who can play and enforce, something that Laraque wasn't.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I know. Like people who play or who have actually played in the league.

Not reporters or message board moderators.

No, it's people who are stuck in the 70s and 80s that haven't realized the game has changed exponentially since then.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
No, it's people who are stuck in the 70s and 80s that haven't realized the game has changed exponentially since then.

Do you think Wayne Gretzky has a good idea about the modern game?

Steve Yzerman?

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Haha people really still believe in that 'enforcers prevent injury' nonsense? Hilarious.

I don't believe our $2.5m dollar character guy Prust should return from injury and then have to drop the gloves first game back, which has happened again and again. Like it or not there is fighting in the NHL that's not nonsense it is a fact.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Haha people really still believe in that 'enforcers prevent injury' nonsense? Hilarious.

Haha, people like gms whose jobs are contingent on team success?

or are players like Orr, parros, Westgarth, Gadzic all signed in hopes they channel their collective inner Gretzky. Would it be great to get guys who can play and fight? sure but these players are exceedingly rare.

and at the very least a guy like parrots takes the heat off of prust so that prust can fight in his weight class and not have to take on monsters because he is the only arrow in the habs quiver. And unlike BgL, stashy when called upon will drop em and go.

if one accepts that beefs occur, that these beefs will be settled by fists, having a guy in the same weight class as the other teams heavies, this is a bad thing how?

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
I get what the OP is saying, but I feel very comfortable going into the playoffs with Murray, White, Tinordi and Moen (depending on is condition once he's back). The POs are usually free of fighting but in case some opponents start trying to push our smaller players around, we have what it takes to calm them down a bit. Heck, even Bouillon, Weise, Bourque and Weaver can hold their own. It's not about winning fights, it's more about making opponents think twice.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Fighting and enforcers are used to make sure a team stays as healthy as possible. That's the premise here I suppose.

Is there a team in the NHL that will refrain from using bodychecks, slap shots and competing in the corners because a Parros type is on the other team?

No. Therefore, injuries will continue to occur whether a goon is there or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00