Lane MacDermid retires

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I kind of have no respect for him. Coming over here as a Bruins fan in peace. He had a career and basically tossed it away. He is probably only retiring because they couldn't use him in the NHL. He got suspended indefinitely for failing to report to Abbotsford.
At what point do these guys think "Oh I'm better than being an AHL guy"
He honestly should have sucked it up, gone down and played, instead he seems to be taking the easy way out. There are plenty of guys in the minors who played in the NHL and all it takes is one injury or a phone call and maybe you'll be back up there.
Many guys down in the minors who still play despite not being NHL material. Unless there is something else revealed behind the retirement then no respect for guys like this. And this coming from someone who was a big fan of his in Boston/Providence.

This is just such a bad, bad post. Who are we to say what people should or shouldn't do for careers? Lane wants to do something else for the rest of his life, I say more power to him. It affords another guy an opportunity who would have been behind him in the depth chart. If he's not having fun playing pro hockey, why would he make a career out of it? Just to pacify ignorant internet trolls?

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I was listening to this live. It got me pissed. MacDermid wasn't going to be a 2nd or 1st liner, but he was going to be another Tim Jackman or Lance Bouma. A guy who can go on the PK, drop the gloves, block shots, go into the corners. Lost a 6th. And giving Jackman up for nothing IS losing a 6th. That 6th could've been a Benn but it's very unlikely. Although it could be a roster player like Hornqvist. Brodie was a 4th. Two rounds off.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I was listening to this live. It got me pissed. MacDermid wasn't going to be a 2nd or 1st liner, but he was going to be another Tim Jackman or Lance Bouma. A guy who can go on the PK, drop the gloves, block shots, go into the corners. Lost a 6th. And giving Jackman up for nothing IS losing a 6th. That 6th could've been a Benn but it's very unlikely. Although it could be a roster player like Hornqvist. Brodie was a 4th. Two rounds off.

It's more likely that a guy like Lane (when we acquired him) turns into a 3rd/4th liner than it is that a 6th rounder turns into an NHL player at any level. Again, if we are capable of targetting and picking a gem in the 6th round, then we are equally capable of doing it in the 5th round.

If 6th rounders were as valuable as everyone seems to think they are, then we would be perfectly happy to trade Cammy and Stempniak for 6ths. Because Cammy for Benn would be awesome value.

roaddogg02316

Feb 23, 2004
This is just such a bad, bad post. Who are we to say what people should or shouldn't do for careers? Lane wants to do something else for the rest of his life, I say more power to him. It affords another guy an opportunity who would have been behind him in the depth chart. If he's not having fun playing pro hockey, why would he make a career out of it? Just to pacify ignorant internet trolls?

You definitely make valid points. We may never know the full extent of his decision. Just too bad to see a promising player go away like that.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Good for Lane. I'm not sure how excited I'd be to be someone's punching bag for $70,000 / year. Pretty mature decision for a 24 year old IMO.

I find the amount of distress over wasting a 6th round pick to acquire him quite amusing.

Well, its about more than the value of the pick in a vacuum. Its about the organizations tendency to do this. Over and over.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
It's more likely that a guy like Lane (when we acquired him) turns into a 3rd/4th liner than it is that a 6th rounder turns into an NHL player at any level. Again, if we are capable of targetting and picking a gem in the 6th round, then we are equally capable of doing it in the 5th round.

If 6th rounders were as valuable as everyone seems to think they are, then we would be perfectly happy to trade Cammy and Stempniak for 6ths. Because Cammy for Benn would be awesome value.

Yes, but its more possible that a 6th rounder becomes a 2nd liner than it was Lane would ever become one. Even though there's a very slight chance a 6th rounder becomes a 2nd liner.

6th rounders have value, as we see in the market. If Cammy and Stempniak have the market value of 6th round picks, then that's just what the market dictates

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes, but its more possible that a 6th rounder becomes a 2nd liner than it was Lane would ever become one. Even though there's a very slight chance a 6th rounder becomes a 2nd liner.

It's not like that alone means you don't make the trade, though. I mean, there's a 0% chance that I win the lottery if I don't buy a ticket and a slight chance if I do, but the guaranteed $5 that remains in my pocket is enough incentive for me not to buy lottery tickets.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
It's not like that alone means you don't make the trade, though. I mean, there's a 0% chance that I win the lottery if I don't buy a ticket and a slight chance if I do, but the guaranteed $5 that remains in my pocket is enough incentive for me not to buy lottery tickets.

Exactly. Lane was spending the 5 bucks and then knowing you definately weren't winning the lottery.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Dude, its my metaphor!?

Yes, it's a metaphor.

Lane is a $5.00 IOU, given to a vendor for a lottery ticket, which was then later invoiced with a $2.00 surcharge.

I think we can agree that this was a case of trading a high-bust potential, higher-ceiling asset for what we thought was a lower-bust potential, lower-ceiling asset. Obviously, hindsight is 20/20 and we know now that the bust potential was higher with Lane due to personal issues, but if we'd known that at the time, we wouldn't have made the deal.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yes, it's a metaphor.

I think we can agree that this was a case of trading a high-bust potential, higher-ceiling asset for what we thought was a lower-bust potential, lower-ceiling asset. Obviously, hindsight is 20/20 and we know now that the bust potential was higher with Lane due to personal issues, but if we'd known that at the time, we wouldn't have made the deal.

Oh I see now. So we had it wrong right from the beginning.

McDermid is a $5.00 credit from a vendor that the Flames had set-up an account with. The receiving department got a waybill for the lottery ticket, but there was no packing slip to match it up with once the lottery ticket was invoiced form the vendor. Soooo.... the Flames now have to verify the recieving, otherwise they won't pay the invoice.

Now it makes sense ;)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg