Lane MacDermid retires

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
Lane MacDermid retires
Reported on Sportsnet 960

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
The Lane MacDermid situation got a little clearer. He's officially filed his retirement papers, according to Craig Conroy. #Flames

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Conroy told us MacDermid had lost his passion to play, so is moving on from his hockey career. #Flames

Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg 10m
The 24-year-old MacDermid was acquired by the #Flames in November from Dallas in exchange for a 6th round pick.

Discuss?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Lane MacDermid retires
Reported on Sportsnet 960

Discuss?

Clearly it was important to him to retire as a Flame. :sarcasm:

The worst part of the deal to acquire him was the fact that he took up a roster spot. With his retirement, I'm no longer that mad about the trade that brought him here. 6th round picks are not going to make or break our rebuild.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Good luck yadda yadda.

What a waste of a ****ing pick. I know its only a 6th but how many times to we need to give picks away for guys like Ivanans, PL3 and have them do absolutely 0, nada, NOTHING for the organization.

Am I the only one who is pissed off we keep doing this?

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Good luck yadda yadda.

What a waste of a ****ing pick. I know its only a 6th but how many times to we need to give picks away for guys like Ivanans, PL3 and have them do absolutely 0, nada, NOTHING for the organization.

Like it was said it is a 6th rounder so not the biggest deal but it is really annoying. Ivanans was signed as an FA by the way.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Besides the obvious fact that it was a terrible waste a 6th round pick, it's kind of interesting to note that this is the second case of a player suddenly losing their passion for the game while playing Heat. Howse retired last September for similar reasons.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Wasn't he the 5th we used from the Jackman trade?

What a waste. At least he's smart enough to know that he won't be anything more than an ECHL/AHL player making limited coin.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Good luck yadda yadda.

You said it brutha. These guys could be PTO type of players. No need to give up assets for fringe hockey players

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Boy did we do our homework on that trade..

I don't care if it's a 6th, it's lousy asset management. We get a 6th for Jackman, then use that to acquire a player who retires 2 months later. Also we move Nemisz to get a guy similar to Jackman, but isn't as good as Jackman. Very puzzling to me. In a rebuild you want as many picks as possible in the chance that you hit on one.

I think Weisbrod was a large factor in getting MacDermid though, Burkie was probably sold when he heard he was a truculent player.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Could care less. This was a gamble on a young tough guy because he had decent upside. Not all prospects and picks work out.

This is the case.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Meh.. It was a low risk gamble, we lost.. No big deal. Best of luck to him in the future.

roaddogg02316

Feb 23, 2004
I kind of have no respect for him. Coming over here as a Bruins fan in peace. He had a career and basically tossed it away. He is probably only retiring because they couldn't use him in the NHL. He got suspended indefinitely for failing to report to Abbotsford.
At what point do these guys think "Oh I'm better than being an AHL guy"
He honestly should have sucked it up, gone down and played, instead he seems to be taking the easy way out. There are plenty of guys in the minors who played in the NHL and all it takes is one injury or a phone call and maybe you'll be back up there.
Many guys down in the minors who still play despite not being NHL material. Unless there is something else revealed behind the retirement then no respect for guys like this. And this coming from someone who was a big fan of his in Boston/Providence.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I kind of have no respect for him. Coming over here as a Bruins fan in peace. He had a career and basically tossed it away. He is probably only retiring because they couldn't use him in the NHL. He got suspended indefinitely for failing to report to Abbotsford.
At what point do these guys think "Oh I'm better than being an AHL guy"
He honestly should have sucked it up, gone down and played, instead he seems to be taking the easy way out. There are plenty of guys in the minors who played in the NHL and all it takes is one injury or a phone call and maybe you'll be back up there.
Many guys down in the minors who still play despite not being NHL material. Unless there is something else revealed behind the retirement then no respect for guys like this. And this coming from someone who was a big fan of his in Boston/Providence.

Im sorry but this is a terrible post. The guy isn't making 6 figures he is making a fairly average income, and given all that former fighters have said with regards to depression and other mental illness to possibly lose respect for a guy for leaving a sport is sad. He never said he thinks he is better than the ahl he said he lost his passion and I give him credit for letting the team know he doesn't think he is capable of giving 100%.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
Im sorry but this is a terrible post. The guy isn't making 6 figures he is making a fairly average income, and given all that former fighters have said with regards to depression and other mental illness to possibly lose respect for a guy for leaving a sport is sad. He never said he thinks he is better than the ahl he said he lost his passion and I give him credit for letting the team know he doesn't think he is capable of giving 100%.

This

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad